PDA

View Full Version : Over coming farming

durracell
19 Mar 2009, 08:57 PM
Ok, thought I'd have a go at creating one of these
thanks to this go's to many many people but it's a bit of a mix

What is farming
Farming is repeated attacks on a player for resources. There are many ways to stop this from happening and even you can start becoming a farmer

How to stop it from even starting
It sounds simple enough really but it is surpising how many times people fail to do this.
Simple really, you have at least 3 days beginners protection (1 on speed) depending on when you start. Spend this time wisely. Depending on the length of bp you should have at least 1 level 10 cranny preferably 2 and on older servers a residence or palace level 5 and a wall. The cranny will serve as a protector of your resources and will stop raiders getting some of your resources which will help to stop them from coming again. The residence or palace is simple, it will give your village a base defence which will usally kill one or 2 troops and combined with the wall which will improve the bonss will make your farmer suffer a couple of losses. Combine this with the crannies and a farmer who is coming and getting no res, no kills and troops losses will 95% of the time stop.

Your Farmer(s)
Ok now before we go anywhere else we need to know what your farmer is like as a player and as a person. To do this check their profile. Once you get a report click on that player's name. For the sake of it we will call him sam, you will get a report like this
Attacker Sam from the village sams Village
[Maceman] [Spearman] [Axeman] [Scout] [Paladin] [Teutonic Knight] [Catapult] [Chief] [Settler]
Troops 10 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Casualties 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Bounty 41 56 56 36

Defender farm from the village farm Village
[Legionnaire] [Praetorian] [Imperian] [Equites Legati] [Equites Imperatoris] [Equites Caesaris] [Battering Ram] [Fire Catapult] [Senator] [Settler]
Troops 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Casualties 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

The player's name and village will be highlighted in green text click on his name and you will go to his profile. The profile is where players can tell everyone else about themselves.
At the top left you will have:
[B]Rank: Their rank in population
Tribe: Their tribe (Teuton, Gaul or Roman)
Alliance: What alliance they are in(if any)
Villages: The number of villages they have
Population
The ones we are interested in are their alliance population (pop) and number of Villages.
firstly though read though what they have typed
if there is something which says along the lines off "i only farm inactives if you are active please message me and we can sort something out" or if you want me to stop farming you send me an hours wroth of resources a day" you can stop here and message them
your message should look something like this

' Dear Bob,

You have recently raided me and I was wondering whether if it would be possible to negotiate a truce. I am skilled at protecting my resources and I believe that neither of us would gain from you raiding me. If you wish I would be willing to move out of the area and leave you in peace and will not be a threat to you or members of your alliance?

I hope you can reply quickly and we can sort a deal out.

Thank You/Yours Sincerly/Best Regards,
New Player'

if not we need to check what there account is like
firstly we need to know about there population
if it is around yours it may be a good idea to start building troops and if available traps
if they are bigger than you and have many villages it may be a good idea to cranny up so they don't get anything or if they are a very big player (top 100 or so) let them have a couple of resources a raid
this will prevent them from cating you
ok so we are now assuming that you have a player that is within 50 pop of you who farms anyone they can
here's what we do

stoping your farmer
firstly start crannying up and building up a wall and residence or palace (really you should make it a residence not a palace but that comes later) so he now gets little/no resources and some dead troops :(
now with your barracks start to train defencive troops (legionnaires, Praetorian Spearman Phalanx)
you to get these you will have to build an acedmeny and research them after they have been reasearched you can build them in the barracks
now to build a decent number of them
using the combat sim work out how many troops you need to build before you can kill the number of troops he sends (again check the report)
there are many ways to do this because he will be about your size the chances are we will be sending about 10 or so troops
so you will want about 20
why they are building use the troops to help get more resoucres by raiding other people in your area
for best results raid people under 2o pop as these will be inactive
once you have the right number of troops and traps the fun begins stop raiding people and wait for the attack to hit once it does you will get a report hopefully saying something like
none of your troops have returned now is the time stuff happens
the chances are he will send more troops to kill yours send the surviving troops away and free any troops you trapped so when the attack hits he gets no resources or hero xp just losses
now you have 2 choices (if you are Roman and he is a Teuton) message him with an offer to be his deffer (these are people who help a big player with defence when they are attacked you will also be helped with some of his troops ) if he as some sense he should argee if not continue this until he gets bored

again your message should be polite and to the point
if you right "pleaz can iz be ur deffer" you may not get a reponse because it shows you have a lack of respect
your message should be like this

'Dear Bob,

I am a Roman/Gual player and I have noticed that you are a Tueton and I was wondering if you would be interested in taking me on as your defender. I would provide troops for the normal agreement of you dealing with any attacks on myself. I think this will lead to a very satisfactory and long lasting agreement between the two of us and both of us will gain hugely from this.

New Player'

moving away
if you couldn't do the steps above you it is a good time to think about moving from this zone build up your residence to level 10 and start training settlers first message your farmer asking for a couple of days off from farming so you can build up settlers
your message should look like this

Dear farmer
hi i was hoping that you could stop farming me for a couple of days while i train settlers
during this time i will give you one hours wroth of my production and start demolishing cranny's so that when i settle my village far away you can get some more resources
regards
your name

start training them and settle out somewhere with no villages near you so you cannot be farmed
to train settlers you will need a resindance level 10 a warehouse lvl 8 and a granery level 7
it is advised that you have a high resoucre production before hand so the time in getting the resoucres to build them is lowered

special thanks goes to Defender of the faith for providing a lot of inspiration for the start and a lot also to dragon115 who's repeated explaining of things about farming has been a tremendous help
also to sag sag for the first 2 letters and whose idea it was to write a suggested letter avi for the constructive cretinism and to fabs for helping me with the spelling and punctuation :D

Avi
19 Mar 2009, 09:19 PM
Good use of subheadings, but doesn't work central alligned. Needs pictures explaining, pasting attack reports doesn't really work. Also lacks paragraph breaks, so it's difficult to skim read (some players dislike blocks of text or want to read quickly). Also it is not very well grammar-wise. Need capital letters, punctuation, just an overall polish really. I understand you've copied and pasted some parts, but it shouldn't show. And maybe you should credit those people if any large sections belong to them.

durracell
19 Mar 2009, 09:26 PM
ok
i'll redo it tomorrow

dragon115
19 Mar 2009, 09:34 PM
also reading over it you repeat yourself a few times.

Especially between the "How to stop it from even starting" and ústoping your farmer Your Farmer" sections

Sag Sag
19 Mar 2009, 10:51 PM
I also think you should explain more about the more diplomatic ways of dealing with these attackers. This is aimed at newer players but does not explain what kind of message to send to stop this. May be an example message could be written along the lines of:

' Dear Bob,

You have recently raided me and I was wondering whether if it would be possible to negotiate a truce. I am skilled at protecting my resources and I believe that neither of us would gain from you raiding me. If you wish I would be willing to move out of the area and leave you in peace and will not be a threat to you or members of your alliance?

I hope you can reply quickly and we can sort a deal out.

New Player'

And there should be one for if you want to be a defender such as:

'Dear Bob,

I am a Roman/Gual player and I have noticed that you are a Tueton and I was wondering if you would be interested in taking me on as your defender. I would provide troops for the normal agreement of you dealing with any attacks on myself. I think this will lead to a very satisfactory and long lasting agreement between the two of us and both of us will gain hugely from this.

New Player'

Those messages or similar ones should be given as an example so new player know more about what exactly to write and how to go about it in a polite and peaceful manner.

durracell
20 Mar 2009, 08:09 PM
thank you
i will edit it now and take those letters on now
thanks

Fabs
01 Apr 2009, 11:04 PM
Any objections to this being moved into the guides section once it's had spelling and grammar corrected?

Tullia
02 Apr 2009, 08:51 AM
I think some of the content needs a little fleshing out, such as the part about settlers and moving away.

I also think pictures would be a valuable addition, especially as this is aimed at new players.

If the OP wants pictures, I am happy to help out - feel free to PM me.

Pretox
12 Aug 2009, 11:59 PM
Well dno about anyone else but this guide has helped me a fair bit coz i'm no longer being farmed (infact i've even stolen a farm off of the person farming me ^_^)

pynchon
13 Aug 2009, 01:22 PM
The best way to overcome farming is to play the game more often. Not just once a day for an hour. If you only tended to your cat once a day I'd bet it would be farmed to death pretty quickly too...

Also I think people underestimate the benefits of village growth. The people who lag around with only one village with <400 pop for months on end are just asking to be made farms.

Hularuns
13 Aug 2009, 01:28 PM
I'm getting farmed by about 6 different people about 33~36 times each day for the past week or so, I've upgraded my cranny to lvl 10 but 1k resources isn't enough to train 30 soldiers in a time period of about 40 minutes between each attack, I'd need a whole day to get a strong enough army to kill all the attackers D:

Has anyone got some advice?

pynchon
14 Aug 2009, 11:25 AM
I'm getting farmed by about 6 different people about 33~36 times each day for the past week or so, I've upgraded my cranny to lvl 10 but 1k resources isn't enough to train 30 soldiers in a time period of about 40 minutes between each attack, I'd need a whole day to get a strong enough army to kill all the attackers D:

Has anyone got some advice?

1) Make sure the attackers don't get any bounty. At all. By spending it on buildings/resource fields/another cranny. After about a day of this their attacks will slow down. If you keep it up for a week then they may stop raiding. Then you will have more time to build defence troops.

2) If you are surrounded by very aggressive players who don't stop raiding (or start using catapults) then you may have to restart. Depends how big your village is...

Pretox
16 Aug 2009, 07:23 AM
Wewt just got a roman send me the exact message in the guide... meh he's to good a farm :cool::D