PDA

View Full Version : Village & Buildings Layout

Sag Sag
19 Mar 2009, 11:47 PM
I just thought I'd bring together some of my knowledge and the knowledge of the leader of my first alliance who helped me to learn more about the usefulness of village layouts.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Village Layout/Village Planning:

Introduction:

The layout of your village is extremely important to the game of Travian especially when you are later in the game and have a few villages and constant troops movements, upgrading of buildings, troops being built and things like that. Another thing is how you plan for your villages to be run, for example you can then follow that without having to constantly think about everything, it also is good to allow you to leave instructions for your duals and sitters when you go offline.

Reasoning:

You need to be able to get to a building in seconds without having to search your village center for it. There are a few reasons for that but the main ones are that it can give you those crucial seconds which you may need to get in troops from other villages to protect yours, organise room for incoming resources, get all the best trades for all you villages quickly, allow you to make sure you have constant production. This is doubly important if you are a none-gold player as you cannot make links (explained later) which will give you access to any building in your village quickly.

Possible Layouts

There are many possible layouts, some people just use a random layout which is not really planned but they use it in all villages so they know.

Insert Picture

Other people will use layouts where they will split certain buildings unto different sides, like economic on one side and military on the other. They will also normally put things like their embassy and palace/residence in the middle.

http://i44.tinypic.com/eq6s9h.png[/QUOTE]
Credit to: Avi

There are others of course but I believe that normally they will be random or split similarly to military and economic, however some players have other systems which are logical to them but may be well used.

Best Choice To Make:

There is no real best choice design for any village as you should really try and choose one which suits your style of play and you are comfortable with. However I think that for newer players following the economic military stystem is probably better than a random one and is also good if you have duals or sitters. For more experienced players they really need to work out a system which is useful for them.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I would be happy if someone could donate pictures they think might be good for the guide, I will of course give you credit for any pictures you do donate.

Command V
20 Mar 2009, 12:10 AM
Or you could just insert links to your more crucial buildings, then the layout is more or less up to you as you can go to your buildings directly by clicking the links

Sag Sag
20 Mar 2009, 12:12 AM
However not everyone has plus account, and most people may not want hundreds of links on their side panel any way. If you have a few villages that may work but when you have loads it is quite annoying to have let's say 10 baracks links, 10 mp links and others.

pheonix1987
20 Mar 2009, 12:52 AM
However not everyone has plus account, and most people may not want hundreds of links on their side panel any way. If you have a few villages that may work but when you have loads it is quite annoying to have let's say 10 baracks links, 10 mp links and others.

When you make a link, it applys to the same position in all your villages, it just links you to that position in the currently selected village. If plus is available and everything is laid out the same, you can access any building in any village with simply two clicks, making life a lot easier.

Sag Sag
20 Mar 2009, 12:59 AM
Ahh didn't know that, I am just not bothered to make links. I just swap between villages which still automatically takes you to that building in the next village.

neillpaddy
20 Mar 2009, 01:19 AM
how do you create links on your side bar?

dragon115
20 Mar 2009, 01:29 AM
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1316/linksw.png

There under preferences in your profile

you need plus though

neillpaddy
20 Mar 2009, 01:31 AM
thanks 'btw dragon is that a bass your playing in that pic

Click
20 Mar 2009, 01:48 AM
Hmm. I honestly don't see how the layout of your village is important? Am I missing something? Ofc all mine are the same, but that's cause I have OCD. But when you conquer a village all the buildings are in different places.

I just don't see how a village layout can benefit you. Sorry.

Avi
20 Mar 2009, 06:56 AM
I think the OP is trying to approach a Village Plan, rather than the Layout. For example: making sure each village has its own purpose, and catering the buildings toward that? I'm not sure.

Keep trying to expand on it Sag Sag, good guide so far. I'll have a look for some pictures too.

Samantha78
20 Mar 2009, 11:03 AM
Hmm. I honestly don't see how the layout of your village is important? Am I missing something? Ofc all mine are the same, but that's cause I have OCD. But when you conquer a village all the buildings are in different places.

I just don't see how a village layout can benefit you. Sorry.

If you play frequently on a touch phone it makes a big difference - less clicks the better. Make sure the frequently used buildings aren't hidden behind another; and key buildings in the same place ... especially the town hall and market, so you can jump between villages and still be in the same building.

OP: There was a thread on this a while ago; http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/ellaskye/?action=view&current=villages.jpg was posted and I bookmarked. Kinda supply/def village I think. But I liked the "zones" :-)

Laika
20 Mar 2009, 11:08 AM
Could do with some small pictures for those who need something visual.

phil bmxer
20 Mar 2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah pictures help out a massive amount, like with the rally point, its all well and good saying just right and down a bit of the main building, but showing them and they can be like ahh yeah :)

Avi
20 Mar 2009, 11:56 AM
Economy & Military layout? just a test really...

Could also split up Resource Bonuses + Storage.

Rally Point is with Research because it also applies to Senators, and it's a pre-requisite.

Town Hall could be replaced with Embassy, Seige Workshop could be replaced with Trapper, etc.

http://i44.tinypic.com/eq6s9h.png

Tullia
20 Mar 2009, 11:57 AM
In principle I like the idea of a guide to this, just because so many new players don't realise how important it is, but I think this one needs some fleshing out - perhaps more notes on what buildings can be destroyed, what you need to keep, suggestions for croppers vs feeder villages vs hammer villages?

I might screenie one or two of mine later :)

Sag Sag
20 Mar 2009, 04:02 PM
Thank you all for this, I will be nicking Avi's picture as it is good to highlight my point. I will try and expand it today.

Sag Sag
20 Mar 2009, 04:15 PM
I've updated it abit more but am going to add the following things minimum:

1. Paragraph on village planning
2. Paragraph on links
3. A number of pictures

Tullia
19 Apr 2009, 10:35 AM
Sag sag - any updates on when this will be done?

ickledevil
19 Apr 2009, 11:36 AM
Sag sag - any updates on when this will be done?

He's been away for a while (he wasn't on Speed) :(

Cretin
29 Apr 2009, 03:30 PM
I have read briefly, but I think the most important thing has been missed out, though instinctively most experienced people do this...

The height of the graphics of buildings means that if you build non-crucial buildings that have large graphics in front of essential buildings that have small graphics, this means you will forever be clicking on useless buildings trying to get into barracks, market places, siege workshops etc.

Here are some possible combinations that would lead to awfully blocked buildings:
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/5834/19056118.png

No one wants to conquer that!

The placement of military buildings in the first post is what I always do, but then factories, warehouses etc and buildings I will never need to go into I always just put into slots that will be behind something else because once built they are inconsequential.

jez2
29 Apr 2009, 05:38 PM
Hehe, now the s5 section has been deleted, the old addicts are cropping up all over the place ;)

I tend to clump buildings together. Barracks, stables and workshop go in the middle where they're quite accessible, the bonus production buildings go on the left, and granaries, warehouses and marketplaces go on the right. Miscellaneous other bits of infrastructure go top and bottom.

Of course captured villages mess all this up but hey :)

One quite useful thing worth knowing about is gids for linking to individual buildings regardless of where they are positioned.

Go into a village and click on your marketplace, a this will give you a url at the top of the page something like this:

http://s5.travian.co.uk/build.php?id=31

If you try using that link in a village where your marketplace is in a different place, it wont work. If you use the following url it will always link to the marketplace no matter where it is.

http://s5.travian.co.uk/build.php?gid=17

This is quite handy for plus links on the side of the page.

Cretin
29 Apr 2009, 06:50 PM
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5672/65594769.png