PDA

View Full Version : Gilboyís guide to a sexy, normal server Teuton start.

Gilboy
08 Jul 2009, 03:45 PM
Basically, if I have the time and had the money, this is how I would play my server starts. If you want to play offensively, play Teuton. People argue itís less satisfying than creating a good offense using Gauls or Romans, but why make things more difficult and lower your potential attack power in a game if your aim is to kill frequently and in large numbers? Exactly.

In the beginning:

Man chose to do the quests and avoid the resource penalty for not taking them. Follow them exactly up to the point you are given the choice of military or economy. Clearly, you have two options. Hardcore gold users who have resource bonuses and the full works available to them should opt for the economy route. This provides 360 extra resources over the military option, and sets you up with more storage and the all important market for NPCing. Once you have reached quest 22, donít bother with the resource fields to level 2. Wait until youíre either about to overflow or your neighbours are coming out of Beginners Protection (about 2-3 hours before) then build your Rally Point and Barracks as well as any wheat fields you require to cover the population increase. Following this, NPC the res to the correct ratio for Mace (total resources available/250 = x) (Ratio = 95x:75x:40x:40x + 1 or 2 hours wheat) and train them, leaving enough wheat to cover the negative for an hour or two giving you a little cushion against starvation if your farms turn out to be wheat-light. Make sure you have enough time to train all the mace you can afford before sending out your first raids.

Know your enemy/area:

While doing the quests and waiting around, check the 7x7. Use the free plus youíre given to check the 13x13 on the bigger map. Find yourself the capital of your choice (15c with 100% + wheat oasis bonus) as close as possible to your first. If youíve got one in your 7x7 your first village may as well be your off builder as you can research and build towards advanced units sooner. If not, you know the score. Get a 4 4 4 6 village nearby your capital to build the off army in.
Another vital task to carry out before BP is up is creating a farm list and checking the times BP is up for your victims. In T3.5 you can check the time a players BP finished by hovering over the greyed out attack link on their village page, assuming they donít have their dove up. If youíre feeling particularly organised you can categorise the list into areas i.e. North, South etc or assign 7x7s around you a number and place everyone inside that 7x7 under that group. The choice is yours. The more time your put into organising your farming, the easier it will be. Plus users should use links to villages coming out of BP.

Raiding:

The most time consuming, boring, yet addictive part of the early game. Here is my personal approach to reaping in the res. Raiding is mainly maths: the transfer of numbers from your farms villages to your own. They produce a certain amount of resources and you want as much of it as possible. What you canít do though is assume theyíre not spending or being hit by anyone else.
In order to maximise income you have to sacrifice a little in terms of big bounties and aim to raid as many villages as possible in numbers low enough to return with a probable full raid. For the first few days particularly, more than 2 mace on anything that hasnít just come out of beginners protection is likely to be wasteful (if youíre feeling lucky and donít believe you have any rivals closer to a 2 pop village just coming out of BP send 53 mace, if you can afford them and have the storage, to clear it out).

For maximum income, the greatest rate of raiding is required, i.e. nearest targets possible to be hit first. You want to increase your farming radius around your village as your mace numbers increase however. Hit the nearest targets first as you expand outwards. The radius you farm is entirely up to you. After a few days I would aim to be covering 2 to 3 hours travel away from your village. Sending larger raids to those closest to you will just lead to over farming and lower income. If youíve put the time into checking who is coming out of BP, make sure you use the information and get mace to them asap. As a rule, higher pop villages will generally offer more resources, but you will get a feel for your farms after a while and learn how crannied up they are etc. The key is to minimise empty carrying capacity. If you get 0 bounty from a player, reduce the rate you raid them, but by no means leave them alone. Looking at the opposite side of things, if you are consistently getting full raids from a village, up the numbers of Macemen you are sending gradually. Again, donít over commit and risk wasting your troopís journey.

A very important secondary role of raiding is the suppression of your rivals. If you harass everyone in your area (which is to be defined by you. Recommended 28x28 +) you frustrate their progress and prevent them from building and developing in the way they want. People giving 0 bounty will eventually tire of building more and more crannies. If they donít, catapult them and let someone else take their spot. If you suspect a local player to be farming a lot, assign more troops to hit his area and out-farm him (provided you have sufficient mace to do so).

A side note on Gauls and their blasted trapper. If a Gaul player looks like theyíve followed the quests, get in there quick and stop them getting the most frustrating building in the early game. You can feel confident in attacking a high pop Gaul (potentially trapper equipped) once you have 50 or so Macemen roaming around. Send the usual two mace raid, and simply send in the rest of your lads if they get caught up in traps (on attack of course).

Getting rid of competition:

This task has become far more difficult with the introduction of dual accounts. There are several ways of knocking out those posing a threat to you and challenging you for farms:

1) If the player(s) try and attack you, sec-killing is a pretty fool proof way of dealing with them. If the force which hits you is too big for you to take out with the troops you had available without sustaining horrendous casualties, you still have over a minute to cancel the attack.

2) Late night/early morning hits. Pick a time you think the account will be unattended and give them a visit with your Macemen (and hero) preferably on attack setting, if youíre feeling brave enough. This one wonít work on a good dual account unfortunately.

3) Catapult them. The beauty of Teutons is the ease with which you can build an army which is completely indefensible against in the early stages. A few hundred maces can cut through any early alliance efforts, as Romans and Gauls canít afford huge numbers of praetorians and phalanxes. If youíre going to use this option, get your rally point up and do the job properly. Crop locking should ensure you donít get chased home (which would be embarrassing). Donít give the defender any chance of sniping your catas, or youíll regret it. If your wave timings arenít perfect redo them.

What to build and train:

My number one rule is: More Mace. I think many players are too eager to rush second villages and get parties going. If you have more mace, you have a greater income, itís simple (assuming theyíre not just sat at home playing scrabble together). 200 maces isnít a bad number to have before breaking into other focuses, but four or five hundred more will make achieving your aims a whole lot easier. At the start there are several areas to consider investing your resources into:

1) Barracks: This needs to be improved in line with your income and how many maces you are able to queue. If queues start exceeding several hours, itís time for an upgrade.

2) Macemen: Should be queued at all times, no excuses.

3) Storage: As raiding income increases, so too does the need to store it. Unless youíre quite happy to spend £ís Npcing constantly, it will save you money and allow you to take breaks without worrying about overflowing. Levels for the warehouse and granary will vary for each account and how fruitful raiding is.

4) Advanced units: If youíre lucky enough to have a suitable cropper in your 7x7 to be your capital, you may as well set about getting catapults researched in your first village. Theyíll allow you to get rid of useless farms and competing players (as stated above). Personally I donít bother with aiming to get scouts early on. Mace are disposable and losing 2 just means thereís somewhere for your hero to visit later. Scouting is a distraction for teutons. In terms of defending incoming scouts, your village shouldnít have troops sat in it anyway, and people will likely know that any resources left there will be npced and spent if they try and attack. If not, sec kill them and cata as appropriate. I would never research paladins (not even for hero purposes, because I <3 mace too much). Theyíre too expensive to defend with and are inferior raiders to macemen. Their attack value is also too low to justify using them to kill enemy mace armies in the early stages. As long as you outnumber the enemy sufficiently, killing them with your own mace and hero will be more cost effective. TKís are an option, but again theyíre too expensive for the early stages and should really be left alone until your infantry numbers are beginning to peak over 10k.

5) Second village: The benefit of researching advanced units in your first village is the massive increase in Culture Points youíll get from buildings such as the academy. I donít host any parties for my second village as I feel the resources are better spent on troops and infrastructure upgrades in your first. If you donít have a cropper in your 7x7 and thereís a chance youíll have to compete, just ensure you have enough catapults and a high enough rally point to knock out whoever settles it straight away. I accept partying and settling it first is an equally valid tactic, but catapults are so useful for dealing with other players and clearing dry farms that I would always prioritise them before my second village.

6) Resource fields: Upgrading these is an option which depends on your activity and will to continue raiding. Raiding will nearly always bring in more resources than your fields will, but if youíre not able to continue raiding, then getting these to level 10 is essential. Iíve tried and tested rushing level 10 fields, and it works alright. Itís better than training more troops and not raiding with them anyway.

7) A hero mansion isnít an unwise choice when you start getting considerable mace numbers and opposition need taking care of. I always opt for a mace hero for their low cost and fairly rapid speed (70% of that of a paladin). You can start getting experience for them really early on this way, and mace attacks on other players with troops will have the added advantage of making your hero more buff (provided you remember to send them along for the party).

Obviously npcing is vital to keep your mace queued up as iron will overflow regularly without it in most cases. If youíre not absolutely minted and able to afford lots of gold, get your Main Building to level 20, using instant build (in combination with the Plus features queued buildings) for the last 10 levels of it. Youíll not be able to keep up with the affluent gold users, but youíll do alright.

General Points:

ē If a player you are targeting states he can defend you in exchange for you leaving them alone, or a player catches your attention, it wouldnít be unwise to give them a chance to help you out. Check their activity and previous experience, then set your terms and conditions. A few defenders early on with a drop of competence will be very useful for mopping up random attacks and small raids on your village, especially if you get the defenders to pay their troops upkeep. Donít both trying to convert a noob into a useful defender. Theyíll never be online to send you defence, theyíll never send enough, and theyíll nearly always be more useful as a farm.

ē Every player will have a different aim for their game. I prefer playing for fun without a target set on building a monster hammer for endgame or any such target. A good start will set you up for whatever you wish to achieve though.

ē Alliances are again a personal choice. Find players you enjoy playing alongside and chatting to on skype etc. Itís the main source of fun for me. Make sure everyone has the same or similar aims as you, or fractures can occur and arguing about in-game politics is pretty dull.

ē Circumstance dictates everything. Even if you do everything right, you could be caught out by a particularly good Gaul or Roman and lose your mace to starvation or a well timed attack. Itís just a game, treat it as such. Respect your rivals and never underestimate them. You can only be pleasantly surprised if you walk all over them that way.

ē I donít know if itís even worth mentioning here, but donít keep your mace at home. An inactive maceman is a dead maceman.

Be nice in your criticism, or I'll cry.

Tullia
08 Jul 2009, 03:47 PM
You can check end of BP for players without a dove, easily, under T3.5.

You do it as follows:

Note co-ords
Go to your rally point
Try to attack

Gilboy
08 Jul 2009, 03:50 PM

You do it as follows:

Note co-ords
Go to your rally point
Try to attack

Well that's embarrassing. Shall edit in the fact it is simply now more frustrating and long winded to get BP times under T3.5 :P

Tullia
08 Jul 2009, 03:57 PM
Well that's embarrassing. Shall edit in the fact it is simply now more frustrating and long winded to get BP times under T3.5 :P

Sowwy ;)

It is indeed more frustrating and longwinded than attacking from the map would be, I agree.

DanielJ97
08 Jul 2009, 03:57 PM
:yarr: Good guide. :D

Might try Teutons next server I play...

Gilboy
08 Jul 2009, 04:09 PM
Sowwy ;)

It is indeed more frustrating and longwinded than attacking from the map would be, I agree.

No worries. I understand you exist to undermine me :p

Might try Teutons next server I play...

A very wise choice. You should play less servers too. Focus on one at a time. Two at most.

idiotboy212
08 Jul 2009, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=DanielJ97;853889]:yarr: Good guide. :D

I agree I've never played teuton before so thanks for the help so far I've done all but last quest on server6 and bp is running out so I'l train some mace I'm gunna take out the other teutons units before they are a threat :)

Groggers
08 Jul 2009, 04:26 PM

You do it as follows:

Note co-ords
Go to your rally point
Try to attack

That only works if you have troops already though right?
Which makes planning ahead more difficult.
:P

Tullia
08 Jul 2009, 04:27 PM
That only works if you have troops already though right?
Which makes planning ahead more difficult.
:P

You only need troop singular, not plural. One isn't a mahoosive hardship IMO.

Oh Hai
08 Jul 2009, 05:13 PM
Hello thar Mr Gilbert,

I thoroughly enjoyed your informative guide and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Yours sexily,

Oh Hai :cool:

major biscuit
08 Jul 2009, 05:52 PM
You only need troop singular, not plural. One isn't a mahoosive hardship IMO.

im pretty sure he was right

Gilboy
08 Jul 2009, 06:03 PM
im pretty sure he was right

You only need one troop to check an attack.

Samantha78
08 Jul 2009, 07:25 PM
I like, but don't always agree!

It would be really useful to highlight (perhaps in a different colour/square brackets) the options for gold/non-gold users, because there are some big differences.

So at server start - I'd do wake up, buy gold, main -> 3, warehouse, granary, market, activate 25% bonus, go back to sleep and wait for res to build up again.

Gold users will get the market long long before the quest says so...so you can change all that surplus wheat and iron into clay and wood.

Non-gold users can go for 9cs, or a supply village near a 15c as well.

Would be useful to add a warning about the pop that usually indicates a rat is potentially kicking about (9 but more often 11 due to the 12hr arrival) to minimise the risk of mace suicide.

You probably need to explain sec-killing (presume you mean intercept them as the arrive home?)

I'm sure others won't agree but I always have at least a modest cranny...not necessarily level 10; but so I can npc res under cranny level so if I am raided in the early days, they get no res. If you give up even a little res, equally active raiding players will try again.

Catapulting I'd always do after settling second village, so should it be later in the guide? Guess it depends whether you are planning to settle a long way out...so can wait weeks rather than days before going for second village.

Some more specific targets would be good (you've alreay got the mace ones). To secure the best cropper (especially a local one), you need to be settling within 2 - 3 weeks.

As it's an advanced guide, there are a few different routes worth mentioning as well. I.e. raid -> get barracks to 20 asap -> build more troops more quickly than any one else. Although I get your guide, and its fine to quote your personal favourite, it's got the potential to outlast you, so make it more balanced :-p. Another cheap option is

If you're willing to npc, you can always get a great profit of the market, by selling wheat to all those running heavily neg wheat. Basically, avoid putting all eggs in one basic - get as much income as possible from a combination of raiding, investing in fields and market trading. If one is having a slow day, you're still getting res to spend.

Mmmmm what else, my increasingly favourite trick, which I don't think anyone else possibly on the planet agrees with...is to raid to get second village asap, and get the wheat fields building then suicide the raiding force. If you do the math, it's common to find that even the bottom half of the top ten raiders, are probably making a net raiding loss after feeding their troops, before you even start to take casualties into account. The downside of course, is that you don't have the troops for a while to keep the locals down. When I do start building troops again, they're 24/7 in lvl 20 barracks/stable.

Ideally I'd go for TKs long before I reached 10k mace as well, because they are fantastic as soon as praets appear, and for catching mace napping. And blacksmith upgrades before you reach the 500 or so troops when they become "efficient"... because no one else has upgraded their troops yet...so it is easier to kill them, less losses to walls/residences, and it makes your raiding force more wheat efficient per attack point.

Gilboy
08 Jul 2009, 07:31 PM
I like, but don't always agree!

It would be really useful to highlight (perhaps in a different colour/square brackets) the options for gold/non-gold users, because there are some big differences.

I point out at the start that it's aimed at gold users. A non-gold users guide would be different in several areas, and I only pointed out a few hints I would consider if not using gold.

So at server start - I'd do wake up, buy gold, main -> 3, warehouse, granary, market, activate 25% bonus, go back to sleep and wait for res to build up again.

I wouldn't. I don't see any benefit to this method. What use is a marketplace at that stage? Or any of those buildings for that matter :confused:

Gold users will get the market long long before the quest says so...so you can change all that surplus wheat and iron into clay and wood.

There's no point in doing it before the quests.

Non-gold users can go for 9cs, or a supply village near a 15c as well.

I'm aware of that.

Would be useful to add a warning about the pop that usually indicates a rat is potentially kicking about (9 but more often 11 due to the 12hr arrival) to minimise the risk of mace suicide.

Mace don't die against rats (unless solo, but they'd die anyway).

You probably need to explain sec-killing (presume you mean intercept them as the arrive home?)

I could do this. It's a separate technique though, which probably deserves another shorter guide.

I'm sure others won't agree but I always have at least a modest cranny...not necessarily level 10; but so I can npc res under cranny level so if I am raided in the early days, they get no res. If you give up even a little res, equally active raiding players will try again.
You have a good point. If you run in heavy negative and get raided you're in trouble if you don't have a lot of incoming bounty.

Catapulting I'd always do after settling second village, so should it be later in the guide? Guess it depends whether you are planning to settle a long way out...so can wait weeks rather than days before going for second village.
I explain my reasons for getting catapults before my second village.

Some more specific targets would be good (you've alreay got the mace ones). To secure the best cropper (especially a local one), you need to be settling within 2 - 3 weeks.
I don't think number targets are useful for anyone. My mace one was very rough for that reason. Every account exists in different circumstances, and trying to set a clear mark for all of them is unrealistic. Each account owner will approach things differently, and I don't want to dictate exactly what to aim for as it won't be relevant for everyone, and my aims won't be exactly the same for them.

As it's an advanced guide, there are a few different routes worth mentioning as well. I.e. raid -> get barracks to 20 asap -> build more troops more quickly than any one else. Although I get your guide, and its fine to quote your personal favourite, it's got the potential to outlast you, so make it more balanced :-p.
I state the barracks should be increased inline with mace queues and that mace should be queued constantly. People should be able to deduce that a level 20 barracks should be reached eventually. Again, it may not be in their interest to continue raiding for that long etc.

Another cheap option is if you're willing to npc, you can always get a great profit of the market, by selling wheat to all those running heavily neg wheat. Basically, avoid putting all eggs in one basic - get as much income as possible from a combination of raiding, investing in fields and market trading. If one is having a slow day, you're still getting res to spend.
That's a fair tactic, but if you're able to raid properly then the income even from 2:1 trades will be pretty negligible for the first few months.

Mmmmm what else, my increasingly favourite trick, which I don't think anyone else possibly on the planet agrees with...is to raid to get second village asap, and get the wheat fields building then suicide the raiding force. If you do the math, it's common to find that even the bottom half of the top ten raiders, are probably making a net raiding loss after feeding their troops, before you even start to take casualties into account. The downside of course, is that you don't have the troops for a while to keep the locals down. When I do start building troops again, they're 24/7 in lvl 20 barracks/stable.
I'm pretty certain that you're completely wrong with the assumption that any of the top ten raiders are making a loss of any kind. Mace raid their value back in four full journeys (nearly). I don't lose a maceman every 4 raids, unless I'm being crazily unlucky. As for wheat consumption, again, a mace pays for it's food for a day with less than half a full raid. Killing your troops for no reason won't ever make sense to me, but do what you will. Also, waiting to get a stable to level 20 without raiding is just daft. You'd have to wait ages.

Ideally I'd go for TKs long before I reached 10k mace as well, because they are fantastic as soon as praets appear, and for catching mace napping. And blacksmith upgrades before you reach the 500 or so troops when they become "efficient"... because no one else has upgraded their troops yet...so it is easier to kill them, less losses to walls/residences, and it makes your raiding force more wheat efficient per attack point.

That's your choice. I state TK's are an option, but an expensive one. You can train a lot more attack points per res with mace/axe in the early stages, so you don't feel the losses as much. Blacksmith upgrades are something I do if I have excess res hanging around. You want them to 20 eventually if it's your off village, so you may as well add to them as and when you can.

Thanks for your constructive criticism.

major biscuit
08 Jul 2009, 09:39 PM
You only need one troop to check an attack.

lol, i misunderstood tullia, i thought they meant the plural of troop was troop, not troops, alot like sheep and sheep but not sheeps

Ade350125
08 Jul 2009, 10:08 PM
Sorry, but everyone is wrong so far :p

You don't need any troops (or troop!) to see when a player runs out of beginner's protection (assuming there's no dove to tell you).

Click the player's village. In grey text (instead of the usual bold green) it will say "Send troops (Player is in beginner's protection.)" - hover over that and a box comes up stating the time their protection runs out.

Oh, and nice, well-written guide :)

Groggers
08 Jul 2009, 10:24 PM

You don't need any troops (or troop!) to see when a player runs out of beginner's protection (assuming there's no dove to tell you).

Click the player's village. In grey text (instead of the usual bold green) it will say "Send troops (Player is in beginner's protection.)" - hover over that and a box comes up stating the time their protection runs out.

/me feels really stoopid now.

*hides*

Gilboy
08 Jul 2009, 10:46 PM
lol, i misunderstood tullia, i thought they meant the plural of troop was troop, not troops, alot like sheep and sheep but not sheeps

I thought you might have :P

Cheers Ade, editted that gem in. And thanks :)

/me feels really stoopid now.

*hides*

I always feel stupid.

Groggers
08 Jul 2009, 10:55 PM
I always feel stupid.

*hug*

It's ok.

Tullia
08 Jul 2009, 11:02 PM
*hug*

It's ok.

can I get in the middle of that hug please?

and nice tip Ade :)

Groggers
08 Jul 2009, 11:09 PM
can I get in the middle of that hug please?

Funky stuff.
Shall I call Jo too?

Tullia
08 Jul 2009, 11:11 PM
Funky stuff.
Shall I call Jo too?

Always.

/end spam now though rawr?

Defender of the Faith
09 Jul 2009, 11:45 AM
I think this is an excellent guide. You obviously know what you're talking about and it's nice to see a Teuton guide that isn't just Nailzs one with added gubbins :rolleyes:

Some questions and a suggestion. I know this is a specific beginners (as in the beginning of the server) guide but how do you handle defense in the period between starting the game and finding a decent alliance? Assuming that no one useful / experienced has offered to def for you?

I know this is a guide explaining your preferences but I was wondering if it really makes no sense to have scouts. I sometimes think the only reason I haven't been chased home in the past very often (especially by nasty TT's) is that when they scout me periodically they always get no report and so can't be certain I don't have a stack of Spearmen waiting for them? Is this valid or would I just be better of building more Macemen so that no one in my 100x100 even has a chance of researching TT's :)

Do you ever use Paladins / Spearmen? Or just not in the early stages?

I would be very interested (based on the quality of this guide) to see how you would develop your force through a server and also how, if at all your play would differ on a speed server?

The last point is that assuming that you haven't developed defense but have got Catas how do you protect them? In the past I have used a tame Gaul (who I use for my settler safe) to keep my Catas, but then I've never had them in large numbers and you become seriously hostage to fortune :(

Cheers :)

Groggers
09 Jul 2009, 11:50 AM
I think this is an excellent guide. You obviously know what you're talking about and it's nice to see a Teuton guide that isn't just Nailzs one with added gubbins :rolleyes:

Some questions and a suggestion. I know this is a specific beginners (as in the beginning of the server) guide but how do you handle defense in the period between starting the game and finding a decent alliance? Assuming that no one useful / experienced has offered to def for you?

I know this is a guide explaining your preferences but I was wondering if it really makes no sense to have scouts. I sometimes think the only reason I haven't been chased home in the past very often (especially by nasty TT's) is that when they scout me periodically they always get no report and so can't be certain I don't have a stack of Spearmen waiting for them? Is this valid or would I just be better of building more Macemen so that no one in my 100x100 even has a chance of researching TT's :)

I would be very interested (based on the quality of this guide) to see how you would develop your force through a server and also how, if at all your play would differ on a speed server?

The last point is that assuming that you haven't developed defense but have got Catas how do you protect them? In the past I have used a tame Gaul (who I use for my settler safe) to keep my Catas, but then I've never had them in large numbers and you become seriously hostage to fortune :(

Best form of defence is offence.
The chances of being countered by TT's is very high, which means you should try to avoid sending large amounts of maces to Gauls.
It is sometimes beneficial to queue spears at different mace milestones, say train 100 spears every few hundred maces for example. But it's all down to personal preference.
I would, and do, just continue to build maces, and then rush TK's to clear everyone around me. This way nobody gets a chance to build up a suitable force do actually do any damage.
A high off rank and raiding medals/ribbons, coupled with a high pop rank, often puts people off attacking you, meaning you don't actually need any defence.
Certainly a risky strategy though.

Defender of the Faith
09 Jul 2009, 12:30 PM
Groggers post ....

Oi! I wanted the organ grinder not the monkey :mad:

Groggers
09 Jul 2009, 12:31 PM
Oi! I wanted the organ grinder not the monkey :mad:

Bite me.
I won't bother imparting advice in future then.
Ungrateful bint.

Gilboy
09 Jul 2009, 01:19 PM

Ta very much.

As far as is possible I'll dodge and follow attackers home and hit them during the night to keep them pinned down. I train defence if absolutely necessary, but I hate doing it. Would much rather have more offense power. Spears are the only unit I would train for defence. Getting an alliance is a bit of a tough one. I've started the last few servers I've played with people I've known, so it's not been an issue. Just check for smaller alliances with players appearing in the top ten tables and scan over a few of their off ranks. If they're asking to check your troop numbers with a sitter check, then they're likely to be on the right track at least :)

Gauls are the most annoying race to take on. I'm loving S6 at the moment because they don't have their trapper, so small mace raids are fine, just the same as for romans. Trapped troops are annoying though, and frustrate progress everytime you have to dedicate a good number of your mace to getting them out. I do my best to keep them under pressure anyway, and keep them rebuilding traps and crannies, to stop them teching to TT's and following me home. It's another reason I like catapults so much. Anyone gets too big for their boots, knock out a few wheat fields and their stuck for a few days, usually lagging behind beyond the point of recovery. My theory on scouts is that if someone really wants you scouted, they'll do it, unless you've dedicated too much of your resources to training your own. It's not worth the resources you'd have to commit in order to guarantee noone would get through, until perhaps later on in the server when you've got enough to have your off training 24/7 and all your infrastructure is set up with partying etc going on.

Never really. I suppose it would depend on my area. If you're able to play enough in the early stages you can eradicate all the local threats, then rely on alliance defence for attacks from further afield. I wouldn't train paladins ever I don't think, unless things were getting desperate and I needed as much defence as I could screcorder together. Spears are good value defenders, and it's probably a good idea to get some just to annoy people trotting about with cavalry. They certainly stop paladins hitting you.

I don't like speed servers much. I don't believe there's any real difference though, things just progress quicker. I'd probably get spears on speed just because Romans and Gauls are much more capable of getting to cavalry quickly on speed.
As for progressing with my account, I opt for a Mace and TK hammer with enough rams to get me by. Siege is really a personal choice. You can do a massive amount of damage to a village with 200 catapults just skimming the higher levels of the top of fields and buildings. If you're going for a WWK, which I personally wouldn't, rams are the only choice. Teuton rams are the highest attack valued rams, and the only siege unit that can take advantage of the 10% brewery bonus without penalty. Teuts should always clear walls. Gauls and Romans can cata. Unfortunately I've not been playing long enough at a good standard to tell you too much. I would say that keeping your cropper growing is a priority. There's no point in a huge army if you can't keep it well fed.

Just keep them out of your village, and make sure whoever you're attacking can't afford to follow you home, at least from the village you've hit. If you have a Gaul mate then a trapper isn't a bad idea I guess. You could always just keep them rolling on new targets ;)

BFG1582
20 Jul 2009, 02:21 PM
im a reasonable new player, and am playing the gaul side. Is it possible for me to be able to claim and keep any enemy troops that are caught in my traps and add them to my army?

Tullia
20 Jul 2009, 02:42 PM
im a reasonable new player, and am playing the gaul side. Is it possible for me to be able to claim and keep any enemy troops that are caught in my traps and add them to my army?

Alas no, you can keep them as long as you like, but not add them to your army. And the enemy will come trying to get them back.

Trappers are a double edged sword.