PDA

View Full Version : CupCakes Gaul Guide

Psychoville
10 Aug 2009, 10:32 PM
CupCakes Advanced Gaul Guide

Many people make the choice of playing Gauls for defense. Well if thats the case, then go build some phalanx and sim. This Guide is for those aiming for Top10 Raiders, for those wanting to be the first with TTs, for those wanting to be the first Non-Teut to settle. I've done it all, several times, so listen up and pay attention .

This isn't how Im suggesting you play, more a Guide explaining how I play. You may ofcourse take tips from it and even copy it if you like.

The Guide

Register at 7 in the Morning on Day 1 .I'd advise putting a large amount of gold onto the account right away otherwise this guide will be no good for you.

Put the 25% resource bonus's on right away (Every resource counts in this Game).

Follow the quests right up until the Choice between Economy and Military, choosing Economy. As soon as you have the marketplace built have a look to see if there are any current offers which would make you proift, within a 5 hours return of the merchant. If there are none, offer 40 Wood for 70 Iron. Put a maximum of 3 hours distance on it. Keep these offers going, Npc'ing when you have little wood.
Upgrade your Market to Level 3. Keep the offers going throughout the whole of Protection. When you are nearing the end of day 2 / Starting Day 3, get a barracks built. Keep the Marketplace offers going whilst aiming for 10 Phalanx minimum by the end of protection, 20 is achievable if the trades are in your favour. By Middway through day 3, some fool would have usually cleared an oasis. Maybe a few people would have - Raid them with your phalanx, making sure they are back before you can start Raiding properly.

Raiding

Well at first, I like to raid the players immediatly touching me. Although it's not always possible. Only do it if they are sub 9 pop or a low pop Roman/Gaul, use your discretion here. Throughout these first few hours of Raiding, it's vital that you loose perhaps 2/3 phalanx tops. So dodge attacks and only hit rats if there will be plenty of benefit.
Npc as the res comes in to build more phalanx, perhaps upgrading the market to Level 5. Continue the trades, however since Teutons will be requiring wood a lot more now, Offer 100 word and search 170 Iron, putting a maximum of 3 hours distance.
Usually, once I have 30 Phalanx I stop. Then start heading for TT's. Don't take risks with the phalanx, and check the off/def points of everyone in your 13x13. Avoid those with any off points, unless they have def points too. Keep the trading going, and start on the prerequisites for Thunders . I'd say you will have them On day 5 or 6 if and only if you are regularly Npc'ing and are very active. This can be managed solo but you must be prepared to put the hours in.

Thunders

Once you have these wonderful, wonderful things don't raid any of the teutons. Keep raiding the people you have already been raiding, but also go a little further out. A lot of people will try and hit these teutons for off points and a medal, well I don't. I resent loosing troops and will never intentionally kill them. Keep raiding until you have 10 and then Build a Hero's mansion and put all five points onto attack. Now proceed to wipe all teuts in your 13x13, maybe even you 21x21. Keep raiding with the phalanx still and trading, now with a 2:1 - wood : iron/clay/wheat. Use your phalanx as scouts, sending them in 3's to people you haven't hit yet. Following up, if they survive with Thunders.

Next Step

Head for 100 Thunders as soon as you can, try not to loose any. Once you have these, get your fields to level 3 and the begin heading for your Townhall. Once you have began partying increase you Thunder amount by 20 a day, and by the time you have enough culture points, you should have 160 Thunders. You should start upgrading your Residence , 3 levels per party and once the third has finished, do the Tenth and then build the three settlers. At this stage I would settle a ,4,4,4,6 next to your eventual capital however, if there seems to be a fair bit of competition in your area I would advise taking the cropper itself. I tend to opt for my nearest 125%+ 15c. Just upgrade your Main Building, Warehouse, Granary, Market and Wheat fields for the foreseeable future. Npc'ing the Wheat and trading it at least 1.75 : 1. Turning the profit into more fields. I'd say start building swords in V1 now, builing perhaps 20 Swords + 30 TTs daily, whilst upgrading fields also replacing any troops you loose.

Im not sure what else to add, so If you have any questions then post them here and I will do my best to answer them

Thanks

Mr. Pennybottom
10 Aug 2009, 10:57 PM
I used to wonder how Travian made money... And you totally just answered that question...

Psychoville
10 Aug 2009, 10:58 PM
GoldWhoring ? :D

Sammapmaker
11 Aug 2009, 12:24 AM
Really nice to know how you do it Cupcakes, having seen your awesome game play on s1 it's nice to know your skill points behind it.

I tend not to use Gold as much as you but then i'm allways 3/4 days behind the tuts settling. I can see how market usage can give a massive avantage. Will start using that more in the future :]

I resent loosing troops and will never intentionally kill them
Yes, thanks so much for pointing that out. I can't stress enough that losing troops needlessly is where things can go wrong. From experience, i have had to delete several accounts because of losing too many troops early on.

My main points in starting an account are register so people come out of protection when you get your first 2 plax. Then get to 50 plax, then use than to get TT's and pathfinders. Then 100 TT's and hero, finally go all out for second vil. Avioding the market upgrades. But i can see how that can help you out loads.

Do you try and raid 24/7 for the first week ?_?
I find that is most important.

ursamajor
11 Aug 2009, 03:37 AM
are the swords for raiding with also?

Touched
11 Aug 2009, 08:23 AM
are the swords for raiding with also?

Raiding/hitting any spears you find and then clearing them out with TTs.

Brilliant jordan, knew you should have wrote one :p

ursamajor
11 Aug 2009, 11:44 AM
Raiding/hitting any spears you find and then clearing them out with TTs.

Brilliant jordan, knew you should have wrote one :p

Oh, I see, never used gauls b4 :P I just knew swords were pretty slow for raiding

and you know my name, i must be getting famouse? ;)

Psychoville
11 Aug 2009, 12:13 PM
Oh, I see, never used gauls b4 :P I just knew swords were pretty slow for raiding

and you know my name, i must be getting famouse? ;)

My name is Jordan :D

ursamajor
11 Aug 2009, 12:15 PM
My name is Jordan :D

LMAO, so it was just a coincidence then :D

Darkest
14 Aug 2009, 01:52 AM
Nice, i am a Gaul and i ruined my start, which as it turned out is probably the most important part of the game. But I'm not a big raider. I might try this start next round, and get some practise on other servers starting soon.

Darkest, xx

DanielJ97
14 Aug 2009, 11:24 AM
Good guide. But using images would make it better.

Tullia
14 Aug 2009, 11:40 AM
Good guide. But using images would make it better.

I disagree. It's an intermediate level strategy guide, it's not about showing people which buttons to click. I can't see a single place where an image would make me understand something better.

What I would suggest though is some work on the layout and text choices to make if easier to read - bullet points, more white space, more consistent use of bold/italics etc for emphasis rather than flipping between them.

Information is best not presented in "wall of text" fashion and some judicious editing into bullet points would make things easier to digest and remember.

DanielJ97
14 Aug 2009, 11:42 AM
I disagree. It's an intermediate level strategy guide, it's not about showing people which buttons to click. I can't see a single place where an image would make me understand something better.

What I would suggest though is some work on the layout and text choices to make if easier to read - bullet points, more white space, more consistent use of bold/italics etc for emphasis rather than flipping between them.

Information is best not presented in "wall of text" fashion and some judicious editing into bullet points would make things easier to digest and remember.

I agree with the two last paragraphs. And come to think of it a little bit with the first.

Defender of the Faith
15 Aug 2009, 01:15 PM
Avoid those with any off points, unless they have def points too.

What? Don't raid other raiders unless they have already proved they have def (support)? Doesn't make sense to me. Could you explain? Thanks. Otherwise v good :)

Tullia
16 Aug 2009, 01:40 PM
What? Don't raid other raiders unless they have already proved they have def (support)? Doesn't make sense to me. Could you explain? Thanks. Otherwise v good :)

i assume he is thinking that those with def points have left their off army at home, had it killed (thus gaining *some* def points) and therefore should now be easy targets

supestan2
17 Aug 2009, 06:25 PM
sorry i may have missed this but is this speed or normal

Fizzy
21 Aug 2009, 02:56 PM
I dont understand why your initial trades are only wood for iron, or is this only whilst in BP ? I found that wood/clay for iron/wheat at 1:2 went pretty well, dropping down to 1:1.9 after a while to stand out from the rest of the 1:2 crowd. Im guessing from the times you quote that you're talking about a normal speed server. On a speed server, I tried to keep the time below 2 hours at all times, and got to over a level 4 marketplace asap, so that I could have all 4 combinations on offer, along with merchants moving as well. Not only did that mean more trades, but also it helped increase my population and scare off a lot of the trap nervous teutons around me