PDA

View Full Version : Xbox

dnnyk1
15 Oct 2009, 07:42 PM
I have xbox gold membership, and already have one account. Could I create another one for my brother? Would it affect my current account?

Thanks.

MikeyNinja
15 Oct 2009, 07:47 PM
You'd have to get a seperate gold membership for his account.

dnnyk1
15 Oct 2009, 07:49 PM
So I can't have two profiles off one gold account, despite it giving me the option too?

Waterwolfmon
15 Oct 2009, 07:51 PM
Well if it gives you the option to...

simmib
15 Oct 2009, 07:54 PM
have you both got your own xbox or are you sharing?

Sim

dnnyk1
have you both got your own xbox or are you sharing?

Sim

We are Sharing.

DanielJ97
So I can't have two profiles off one gold account, despite it giving me the option too?

It doesn't give the option to...

Jeeves
15 Oct 2009, 07:55 PM
Heh. I wish.

SpeedRunner
15 Oct 2009, 07:55 PM
I didn't think you could use to profiles off one gold membership!

MikeyNinja
15 Oct 2009, 07:56 PM

No, it doesn't.

Darkest
15 Oct 2009, 08:02 PM
I have two Profiles connected to Xbox live, and I only bought it once.

dnnyk1
15 Oct 2009, 08:05 PM

How do ya do it?

SpeedRunner
15 Oct 2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah how!!?

NoObHeAd
15 Oct 2009, 08:30 PM

There not both GOLD memberships though. Unless you have found a serious glitch or hacked xbox live (doubt it ;))

I think it's possible to have as many accounts as you like (until your memory is full) but you would have to buy seperate gold memberships. I myself have about 6 or 7 on my xbox at the moment, but they required different memberships.

Kirklander
15 Oct 2009, 08:44 PM
There not both GOLD memberships though. Unless you have found a serious glitch or hacked xbox live (doubt it ;))

I think it's possible to have as many accounts as you like (until your memory is full) but you would have to buy seperate gold memberships. I myself have about 6 or 7 on my xbox at the moment, but they required different memberships.

what is the point in that?

NoObHeAd
15 Oct 2009, 08:48 PM
what is the point in that?

I have my brothers on mine, one of my mates transferred his onto mine and instead of changing my name for 800 microsoft points I make a new name up. I'm able to get 12 months xbox live for free so I just use them. (no I can't tell you how :))

Gouranga
15 Oct 2009, 09:33 PM
I have my brothers on mine, one of my mates transferred his onto mine and instead of changing my name for 800 microsoft points I make a new name up. I'm able to get 12 months xbox live for free so I just use them. (no I can't tell you how :))

You have an elite witha free trial?

Berethor
15 Oct 2009, 10:38 PM
I'm pretty sure you can buy 1 month gold membership and assign it to 2 accounts. But it divides the time between the accounts, at least thats what my mate said happens (hence why he makes us guests when we play multiplayer).

So if you want 2 accounts it will give you 14 day on each. Not worth it, just play off the same account or buy seperate memberships.

I kind of share my PS3 with my brother and we both have PSN, and its 0.00 a month each. (sorry just had to put that in. I like it when 360 owners complain about the cost of live, its hilarious, and satisfying, they paid loads less for the console and over time they see the error of their ways)

Darkest
15 Oct 2009, 10:49 PM
I activated a 60 Day free trial and I can play both online.. Downloads, Playing games with other people etc... I don't use it too often...

commander
15 Oct 2009, 11:51 PM
I'm pretty sure you can buy 1 month gold membership and assign it to 2 accounts. But it divides the time between the accounts, at least thats what my mate said happens (hence why he makes us guests when we play multiplayer).

So if you want 2 accounts it will give you 14 day on each. Not worth it, just play off the same account or buy seperate memberships.

I kind of share my PS3 with my brother and we both have PSN, and its 0.00 a month each. (sorry just had to put that in. I like it when 360 owners complain about the cost of live, its hilarious, and satisfying, they paid loads less for the console and over time they see the error of their ways)

Hehe.

I'll have to phone up moneysoft some time and cancel my gold membership. Dont play the damn thing... and its not looking likely with things like Uncharted 2 here, and GT5 etc, on the horizon for PS3.

NoObHeAd
16 Oct 2009, 01:24 AM
You have an elite witha free trial?

I did originally have that elite trial thing. You can make 3 accounts and get 3 months free with each one. I don't think they do it now though. But I can get the 12 months membership that comes in the game like case for free. So I can basically play xbox live for free, forever. Only thing is you lose your gamerscore and youre ranks on all of your games. Halo 3 was a hard one to regain :P

mynameisname
16 Oct 2009, 01:49 AM

And PSN sucks. We pay for quality and a whole bunch of extras. Also, its 5 bucks a month. 5 bucks. If you cant afford 5 bucks a month you never should have bought the game console to begin with

DanielJ97
16 Oct 2009, 08:41 AM
I need to renew my membership at Christmas! >.<

Berethor
16 Oct 2009, 10:18 AM
And PSN sucks. We pay for quality and a whole bunch of extras. Also, its 5 bucks a month. 5 bucks. If you cant afford 5 bucks a month you never should have bought the game console to begin with

We also pay for the online. Its included in the cost with the console ;)

Xbox live also sucks. Both PSN and Live have no dedicated servers for game matches. This means its entirely reliant on the host's internet connection, has nothing to do with whether one sucks or one doesn't. I've had plenty of Halo 3 games where theres been epic lagg, or when the host quits and even though it can continue, everyone gets impatient and leaves anyway. Pretty much the same as the PS3 online, sometimes its good, sometimes its not. They're as bad as each other to be honest.

But over time the Xbox 360 costs more money when you factor in the long term cost of Live, thats what i'm saying, that was my whole point.

Sorry i started this argument didn't i? Because i know i can win.

dragon115
16 Oct 2009, 04:46 PM

live doesnt get much more than the PSN... and considering how much longer live has been around and how much it had at the same point in its life span as the PSN... its not much better

mynameisname
27 Oct 2009, 09:15 PM
live doesnt get much more than the PSN... and considering how much longer live has been around and how much it had at the same point in its life span as the PSN... its not much better

All of you are missing one major point. Live was what allowed the new update. Without live people wouldnt have gotten the new update. :D

Gouranga
27 Oct 2009, 10:07 PM
We also pay for the online. Its included in the cost with the console ;)

Xbox live also sucks. Both PSN and Live have no dedicated servers for game matches. This means its entirely reliant on the host's internet connection, has nothing to do with whether one sucks or one doesn't. I've had plenty of Halo 3 games where theres been epic lagg, or when the host quits and even though it can continue, everyone gets impatient and leaves anyway. Pretty much the same as the PS3 online, sometimes its good, sometimes its not. They're as bad as each other to be honest.

But over time the Xbox 360 costs more money when you factor in the long term cost of Live, thats what i'm saying, that was my whole point.

Sorry i started this argument didn't i? Because i know i can win.

LIve has dedicated servers for some games. I think the content I get on Xbox Live is worth it

commander
27 Oct 2009, 10:54 PM
All of you are missing one major point. Live was what allowed the new update. Without live people wouldnt have gotten the new update. :D

And how do you think the PS3 gets its updates other than via its online service, einstein? Magic?

Gouranga
27 Oct 2009, 10:55 PM
And how do you propose the PS3 gets its updates other than via its online service, einstein? Magic?

I think you'll find its through an imaginarum

commander
27 Oct 2009, 11:27 PM
There's me thinking it came in the mail.

mynameisname
28 Oct 2009, 01:32 AM
There's me thinking it came in the mail.

All the features included in the update are not on the PS3

Faerier
28 Oct 2009, 02:23 AM
I want to know why my friend has connected to Facebook via his xbox, and I can't

dragon115
28 Oct 2009, 08:28 AM

no you have missed the point

the xbox doesnt have much more than the ps3, you have always been able to access facebook twiiter and last on the ps3 and all that bull (seriously its a games console not a pc why do we need it)

but the live service is quite a few years older than the psn, when it was new it had pretty much nothing updates dont just happen you know they take time

And how do you think the PS3 gets its updates other than via its online service, einstein? Magic?

I think he thinks we still use ticker tape

commander
28 Oct 2009, 10:30 AM
All the features included in the update are not on the Piece of S**** 3

Thats because xbox is different to PS3 *says in patronising voice*. Well done sherlock, seriously, well done.

And again, if someone wanted to be specific, actually facebook etc, are on the PS3..

But alas, this gets nowhere near the brains of individuals like yourself. Your skull is too thick.

Berethor
28 Oct 2009, 08:24 PM
LIve has dedicated servers for some games. I think the content I get on Xbox Live is worth it

Name one game that has dedicated servers for individual matches on the Xbox 360 and i shall give you a cookie.

Gouranga
29 Oct 2009, 03:13 PM
Name one game that has dedicated servers for individual matches on the Xbox 360 and i shall give you a cookie.

Timeshift does. Section 8 does

Berethor
29 Oct 2009, 08:59 PM
Timeshift does. Section 8 does

*Gives cookie*

So now explain to me why Xbox Live charges you for a service that uses predominatly Peer to peer gaming. I mean sure, both consoles use Peer to Peer for the majority of their games. So what makes the online gaming better on the 360 version?

Neither is lag free. The PS3 has a browser which allows you to utilise features Microsoft need to release as updates for the 360. They both have a marketplace. The Xbox Live marketplace loads quicker, but the downloading bandwidth is entirely dependant on your own connection because both have servers for the non-gaming features that can easily handle large amounts of players and good speed downloads for customers (I'm sure Microsofts are a little better here, but not quite worth paying the subscription, because like i said, its largely dependant on your own connection as to whether you can take advantage of the 360s advantage here). The only dedicated servers for Xbox 360 games are for 3rd party games. There are one or two dedicated for 1st party games for PS3, but they arn't much better than Peer to peer to be honest, they are no where near as powerful as you would expect say a Call of Duty 4/WaW server for PC to be. Charging for peer to peer services is a ripoff. The Xbox Marketplace whilst very good does not really justify the subscription you pay

We have seen failures on both sides, most notably a couple of years ago when the Xbox Live servers went down between christmas and new year due to 'unexpected' demand. At Christmas. In the holidays where kids arn't at school and some people get time off work. Unexpected. Just so you got that. Similar things have happened with PSN, but generally these things happen over their life cycles. PSN has been improving since it was released and is pretty much on par with live.

http://www.msxbox-world.com/assets/features/xbox-live-marketplace-guide.jpg
vs
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/PlayStationStore-Screenshot.png

Which is easier to use, well the navigation is easier with the Xbox 360; the Playstation store acts like a webpage not a piece of software.

With the online gaming for both using P2P not dedicated servers, the cost of online play is not justified, so essentially all you are paying for with Live it the marketplace being a bit easier to use and to load a bit faster than Playstation store does.

EDIT:

Playstation Home: the sims style social networking thingy isn't really worth mentioning, we shall put that in the fail pile.

Gouranga
29 Oct 2009, 11:54 PM
Marketplace screen shot is way old, that was changed years ago, this is it now

http://nerdvana.freedomblogging.com/files/2008/07/xboxnewinterface.jpg

Also I fail to see much different in your screen shots each one has a list down the side and a few photos?

Berethor
30 Oct 2009, 12:42 AM
Marketplace screen shot is way old, that was changed years ago, this is it now

Also I fail to see much different in your screen shots each one has a list down the side and a few photos?

Well i first posted the one off wiki, which is the same layout as that one you posted, as it was the one i'm used to seeing. I saw the other one and thought it looked better, i thought it might've been a newer one. :rolleyes: Anyways i was basing my opinions on the layout you posted, its easy to use and navigate, but if you know what you are looking for, so is the playstation store. I mean the first time go look for a demo, it might take you a couple of tries to find the right section on the left but you'll get there XD

But to tell you the truth, i'm not even sure if thats the latest Playstation store page, i'll have to check :D

But thats like paying to have a user friendly website. The content is the same, its only the layout that is different. It might take you a few more clicks to find what you are looking for.

Can i also say many of the features that Live has that PSN doesn't charge you further for use. The newest example being the skyplayer, which you can get on pc anyway i believe.

EDIT: The two screens i posted, even i can see the sub-sections are better on the Live marketplace

mynameisname
30 Oct 2009, 11:34 PM
I just want to through another little tidbit into the conversation. Where do you think the PS3 got a lot of its ideas from? Ill give you a clue, its starts with an X.

commander
30 Oct 2009, 11:39 PM
Anything to back this up?

Keiji_Maeda
30 Oct 2009, 11:40 PM
Proof of this please?

I'm sorry but I still believe that every console has their benefits, and for me, the PS3 is a better console.

Now, you can shout me down and call me every name under the sun moon and stars, but I will not change my opinion.

Carrothead
30 Oct 2009, 11:50 PM
Now, you can shout me down and call me every name under the sun moon and stars, but I will not change my opinion.

XBOX XBOX XBOX!

Anyway, any sane person would just leave this stupid argument until a year from now when PS3 truly have taken over the 360 in all aspects.

No-one's going to win this argument anyway with the amount of fanboys on each side.

Berethor
31 Oct 2009, 12:42 AM
I just want to through another little tidbit into the conversation. Where do you think the PS3 got a lot of its ideas from? Ill give you a clue, its starts with an X.

How about the web browser... oh wait :rolleyes:

Or how about the free online services... oh wait :rolleyes:

The PS3 got more ideas from the Sega Dreamcast than it did from the Xbox. The Dreamcast revolutionised console gaming.

Keiji_Maeda
31 Oct 2009, 04:47 AM
The PS3 got more ideas from the Sega Dreamcast than it did from the Xbox. The Dreamcast revolutionised console gaming.

Pretty much all consoles from that era revolutionised gaming :D

The PS1 was hailed as the best of that era due to its wide range of games, ease of programing, cheap manufacture and best graphics/sound capacity on a 32bit system.

Surely thats pretty revolutionary?

Cheap, simple and Awesome game play on one console.

dragon115
31 Oct 2009, 08:45 AM

and where did the Xbox get them all?

what gaming machines have had internet access for more than 10 years? have availability to free TV from hundreds of channels? has social networking for everyone? has stores for everything you could possibly imagine?

ill give you a clue...it starts with a P

ninjapringles
31 Oct 2009, 04:36 PM
all i can say is why pay for something(xbox live) when you can get it for free(PSN).....thats why i prefer PS3

Berethor
31 Oct 2009, 05:51 PM
and where did the Xbox get them all?

what gaming machines have had internet access for more than 10 years? have availability to free TV from hundreds of channels? has social networking for everyone? has stores for everything you could possibly imagine?

ill give you a clue...it starts with a P

err Gameboy Pocket? :p

No wait that didn't have any of those :rolleyes:

PC!

Sidewinder
01 Nov 2009, 01:19 PM
all i can say is why pay for something(xbox live) when you can get it for free(PSN).....thats why i prefer PS3

Because for the price difference you can get a year of xbox live gold. And by the time it runs out your xbox will have broken anyway*

*for the record I've had my xbox since a week after it came out with the only problem being a slightly sticky disc tray.

commander
01 Nov 2009, 06:39 PM
A year isnt long :D

SpeedRunner
01 Nov 2009, 06:50 PM

Why does that dashboard look a tad different to mine? I don't have the community tab :confused: Mine is My Xbox, Game Marketplace, Video Marketplace, Friends, Spotlight and something else. Mine looks pants compared to that one.

For the people saying the 40 quid is a ripoff, you do get alot for your money.

commander
01 Nov 2009, 07:08 PM
For the people saying the 40 quid is a ripoff, you do get alot for your money.

Please do list what you get. :)
(Said in an intrigued manner simply for personal comparison to PSN).

SpeedRunner
01 Nov 2009, 07:35 PM
Inside xbox, excellent online gameplay, xbox only titles i.e. Gears of War, facebook, twitter, last f.m., sky etc

VelvetThighs
01 Nov 2009, 07:44 PM
facebook, twitter, last f.m.

All covered by a browser I suppose?

SpeedRunner
01 Nov 2009, 08:04 PM
Their own specified application. Much better than a browser.

Sidewinder
01 Nov 2009, 08:10 PM
Out of interest, does the PS3's browser support flash video?

commander
01 Nov 2009, 08:25 PM
Inside xbox, excellent online gameplay, xbox only titles i.e. Gears of War, facebook, twitter, last f.m., sky etc

Sky isnt included in 40 xbox live memberhip, if you already have sky downstairs for example, you have to pay multiroom. If you dont have sky altogether, then you'll still be paying (more than he cost of multiroom I presume). Facebook, twitter, last f.m can be found on the PS3's browser (or just your darn PC :p). Online gameplay is a matter of opinion, so as far as technical performance of the online system, there is no difference. And plenty of people play on PSN so its not exactly a ghost town.

PSN titles also include some good games. Again, which games people like are a matter of opinion, Im just saying there are good games just as there are on xbox.

Now all of these points are why I cant find any justification for paying 40. Just the way I see it, dont shoot me with anRPG , as I have both consoles, I just find the 40 rather extortionate.

Berethor
01 Nov 2009, 08:57 PM
Sky isnt included in 40 xbox live memberhip, if you already have sky downstairs for example, you have to pay multiroom. If you dont have sky altogether, then you'll still be paying (more than he cost of multiroom I presume). Facebook, twitter, last f.m can be found on the PS3's browser (or just your darn PC :p).

PS3 also has BBCiplayer, again from its browser. Not sure about 4od and ITVplayer, but they run through browsers too... Can anyone confirm they work in the PS3 browser?

Online gameplay is a matter of opinion, so as far as technical performance of the online system, there is no difference. And plenty of people play on PSN so its not exactly a ghost town.

Well i wouldn't say its a matter of opinion... its a matter of luck, as to whether you get a good host for your game or not. And it depends a lot on the game, some games have better online features than others. Forza 2 had one of the best online experiences of any game i have played, but Forza 3 has implemented a Halo style system, where you cannot make public custom matches, only private custom rooms (where you have to invite people), or certain racing channels that are decided by Turn10. This means the people you play each race are pretty much random so you don't get talking to them long enough to make new friends. But on FM2 you could start a custom room open to the public, and then keep that room open for hours and talk to and race the same group of people. This pretty much kills the community aspect of the game, because you are never in the room long enough to get talking to someone, like you do on PC games.

PSN titles also include some good games. Again, which games people like are a matter of opinion, Im just saying there are good games just as there are on xbox.

Now all of these points are why I cant find any justification for paying 40. Just the way I see it, dont shoot me with anRPG , as I have both consoles, I just find the 40 rather extortionate.

40, and the Xbox has no features over the PS3, other than those that you have to pay extra for.

2 years ago Xbox Live was better, but not any more. PSN has caught up and they are both about the same. My only worry is the item in the small print on the PSN terms and conditions "Sony reserve the right to charge for online features at any time" (or words to that effect). As long as PSN is free it is better than Live. The moment Sony start charging for Online play is the moment i concede defeat in this debate.

commander
01 Nov 2009, 09:08 PM
Well, I guess it depends how much that cost is. I agree it would be sucky if sony started charging the same ridiculous amount as microsoft for online play.. even if both were 40 though, I still couldnt see why. Neither really warrants 40 to be able to play online (with some added BS features which actually mean nothing but are implemented to try and fool you into thinking its a bargain). I wouldnt see xbox live as better, Id just see them both as annoyingly over-priced.

Also I agree about forza 2. Good smooth gameplay and a fun game all round :D

GT5 and forza 3 would be a nice combo I look forward to having.

Saffy
01 Nov 2009, 09:28 PM
All of these can be found inside of a browser (Im talking apps, not game titles) except for Sky, which you have to have a full subscription to Sky last time I checked.

Also do not start the 'we have... and you don't' thing, it is annoying more futile than this argument

Berethor
01 Nov 2009, 09:35 PM
GT5 and forza 3 would be a nice combo I look forward to having.

As a GT fanboy since GT1 for the PS1, i really hope they get the online right in GT5. Luckily the GT5Prologue was a kind of beta test so most of the problems have been sorted (even if the online did suck in prologue, they have the basic problems out of the way). i Hope for a range of good online features.

But like i said, with Forza 3, they took out one of the best features of their online, which is being able to go into a game room, set the track, car restrictions and race, and then without leaving the lobby, change the race type and keep the players in the lobby the same. In FM3 your only options are a private room, or a public lobby where the race type and car restrictions are set by the server, and you have to exit the lobby to switch, which means you will most likely be racing with different people. And its luck of the draw as to whether you get a good clean race or not. So if you want a custom room, you have to invite people to it yourself, which means you're not meeting anybody new.

I have to say one of the best online systems i have come across is Metal Gear solid 4. That game is absolutely awesome. My only concerns with that were the lack of size and variety of maps, and the players had too much health (headshots killed in 1 with most weapons though, so good aim was rewarded somewhat). Other than that it was excellent. With the Halo online, the best thing is the ability to go multi-online, similar to how you do it in Mariokart and Brawl. It means you don't have to be sat alone in your room to enjoy online gameplay.

If you compare multi-plat games, they are ALWAYS better on PC, with the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions being exactly the same for online play.

SpeedRunner
02 Nov 2009, 05:46 PM
Commander, you say you can get all the xbox apps on the pc, well why don't you just use your pc to browse and buy a blu ray dvd player. Same logic.

dragon115
02 Nov 2009, 05:59 PM
Commander, you say you can get all the xbox apps on the pc, well why don't you just use your pc to browse and buy a blu ray dvd player. Same logic.

I actually agree... you can get a decent blu ray drive for just over 50 for PCs now or a blu ray RW for 150

commander
02 Nov 2009, 06:17 PM

Because I want to play on my PS3? :rolleyes:

You say it as though I said it only for xbox.

Correct, for internet surfing, or applications found on the internet, use a damn PC. My arguement is against xbox fanboys saying how brilliant it is to have apps for twitter etc, just by simply saying the PS3 has a browser which encompases all. But in reality, I would always go on my laptop.

I like technology, and for me, PS3 is technology that will last longer than xbox (wihout bringing out a new console), hence I prefer PS3 for gaming. That is all I really use my console for, gaming. I have an xbox too, it is not a bad machine..I just prefer something else.

SpeedRunner
02 Nov 2009, 06:18 PM
I am an xbox fanboy for a good reason.

Gouranga
02 Nov 2009, 06:23 PM
Well i first posted the one off wiki, which is the same layout as that one you posted, as it was the one i'm used to seeing. I saw the other one and thought it looked better, i thought it might've been a newer one. :rolleyes: Anyways i was basing my opinions on the layout you posted, its easy to use and navigate, but if you know what you are looking for, so is the playstation store. I mean the first time go look for a demo, it might take you a couple of tries to find the right section on the left but you'll get there XD

But to tell you the truth, i'm not even sure if thats the latest Playstation store page, i'll have to check :D

But thats like paying to have a user friendly website. The content is the same, its only the layout that is different. It might take you a few more clicks to find what you are looking for.

Can i also say many of the features that Live has that PSN doesn't charge you further for use. The newest example being the skyplayer, which you can get on pc anyway i believe.

EDIT: The two screens i posted, even i can see the sub-sections are better on the Live marketplace
Halo Waypoint, avatars, 1 vs 100, Inside Xbox, streaming game trailers, avatar awards & community cat

Found another game with dedicated servers, Left 4 dead 2

Berethor
03 Nov 2009, 11:14 AM

Ok i do not own an Xbox, i havn't played on one or used Live since the latest update.

Can you use all of the new apps without subscribing to Live? Because the features you listed that the PS3 has, are free on PS3. The discussion is to find features for Xbox Live that justify the subscription payment, which as yet you have been unable to do.

The cost difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360 is now quite small;

The RRP for the Xbox 360 Arcade is around 160. The cheapest i have found it is around 130 Now this comes with only 256MB of hardrive space. 256MB is not nearly enough, considering lots of games require you to install parts of the game to the console, so you will need a harddrive. The cheapest i can find a 20GB hardrive to go with it is around 20, which makes it an even 150. The RRP for the PS3 slim 120GB is around 250. The cheapest i can find it is around 225. There are extras that you need for both consoles, neither comes with a cable capable of transmitting a HD signal (not necessary, but very useful), neither comes with a headset etc.

If you take into account 2 years of online subscription, these consoles have no price difference at all.

I was going to post a load of crap about the hardware, but half of it i don't understand myself. And they are non-comparable, as the XBox 360 has no RAM, only VRAM, whereas the PS3 has both, but runs at a higher clock speed. The core main processor/CPU runs at the same speed but the Xbox 360 has more L2 cache, whereas the PS3 has more cores and a higher floating point performance, which makes a whole load of sense :rolleyes: Although the difference in the types of processor means they cannot be directly compared on any level. They both have the same memory bandwidth. The DVD drive on the Xbox reads about 1.5x faster, which gives it a slight advantage on initial loading times (PS3 games started to combat this by installing parts of the game onto your HD, but Xbox has started doing this too, so its still ahead on loading times - unless of course you have an arcade and no harddrive). The first impressions is that that are both the same, both have subtle advantages over the other. But the clock speed of the PS3's graphic processor and the amazing speed of its RAM gives it the edge. In theory you could overclock the Xbox to the same amount, if the fan could handle it.

The reason early Xbox 360's were plagued with overheating and failure is because the components inside simply give off too much heat, regardless of the big fan in the side of it. The distinct difference between the PS3 and the newer models of 360 is that they run on 90nm technology. PS3 models have newer components that run on 65nm technology as opposed to 90nm which may be similar in performance, but because they give off a lot less heat the failure rate is extremely low. The slim PS3 models have an improved cooling system and the components are now manufactured using the 45nm process (smaller and more efficient parts basically, but same spec). The Newer Xbox 360 Arcade and Elite models run on 65nm technology, so i believe RROD is not a problem if you were to buy a 360 today, RROD is a thing of the past. On that basis the PS3 slim should be the most reliable console, but we have yet to see the effects of wear and tear on it.

SpeedRunner
03 Nov 2009, 05:10 PM
I'm not going to argue about bloody RAMS and all the other garbage associated with consoles. But you can pick up a 120gb Xbox Elite for 155 in some places now.

Berethor
03 Nov 2009, 05:51 PM
I'm not going to argue about bloody RAMS and all the other garbage associated with consoles. But you can pick up a 120gb Xbox Elite for 155 in some places now.

And you could pick up a 250GB PS3 slim with 2 games of your choice (including new releases) and a blu ray movie of your choice for 240 at Tesco.

I based my previous post on research. I spent around 25 minutes searching online for the cheapest prices (avoiding the comparison sites as they mark the prices up by 20-30). I did not find a single place selling the Elite for <160. There was one listed on google as 150, spidertronics or something, but it had a no star rating. You know what? I wouldn't buy it from them, you'd probably get a brick instead of a console. Or an arcade painted black.

On another note, i found a 40GB PS3 new for 180 (no longer in production so i didn't include it in my last post), which is amazing value. But i'm holding out my cash until after christmas. I want the 250Gb slim.

SpeedRunner
03 Nov 2009, 05:56 PM
Well you sir, need to get a life and stop researching ramming :D

Berethor
03 Nov 2009, 06:02 PM
Well you sir, need to get a life and stop researching ramming :D

The stuff on the specs i got from a quick google search, not hard :rolleyes:

And the research on cost, thats called shopping around, i believe nearly everyone does it, usually spending way more than half an hour looking for the cheapest prices.

My post was around lunchtime. I was at home because i didn't have the 7 bus fair to go up to Newcastle just have lunch with mates. You'd rather i'd spent that research time watching Jeremy Kyle? No thanks.

SpeedRunner
03 Nov 2009, 09:37 PM
Jeremy Kyle rawksss!

Gouranga
03 Nov 2009, 10:32 PM
Ok i do not own an Xbox, i havn't played on one or used Live since the latest update.

Can you use all of the new apps without subscribing to Live? Because the features you listed that the PS3 has, are free on PS3. The discussion is to find features for Xbox Live that justify the subscription payment, which as yet you have been unable to do.

The cost difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360 is now quite small;

The RRP for the Xbox 360 Arcade is around 160. The cheapest i have found it is around 130 Now this comes with only 256MB of hardrive space. 256MB is not nearly enough, considering lots of games require you to install parts of the game to the console, so you will need a harddrive. The cheapest i can find a 20GB hardrive to go with it is around 20, which makes it an even 150. The RRP for the PS3 slim 120GB is around 250. The cheapest i can find it is around 225. There are extras that you need for both consoles, neither comes with a cable capable of transmitting a HD signal (not necessary, but very useful), neither comes with a headset etc.

If you take into account 2 years of online subscription, these consoles have no price difference at all.

I was going to post a load of crap about the hardware, but half of it i don't understand myself. And they are non-comparable, as the XBox 360 has no RAM, only VRAM, whereas the PS3 has both, but runs at a higher clock speed. The core main processor/CPU runs at the same speed but the Xbox 360 has more L2 cache, whereas the PS3 has more cores and a higher floating point performance, which makes a whole load of sense :rolleyes: Although the difference in the types of processor means they cannot be directly compared on any level. They both have the same memory bandwidth. The DVD drive on the Xbox reads about 1.5x faster, which gives it a slight advantage on initial loading times (PS3 games started to combat this by installing parts of the game onto your HD, but Xbox has started doing this too, so its still ahead on loading times - unless of course you have an arcade and no harddrive). The first impressions is that that are both the same, both have subtle advantages over the other. But the clock speed of the PS3's graphic processor and the amazing speed of its RAM gives it the edge. In theory you could overclock the Xbox to the same amount, if the fan could handle it.

The reason early Xbox 360's were plagued with overheating and failure is because the components inside simply give off too much heat, regardless of the big fan in the side of it. The distinct difference between the PS3 and the newer models of 360 is that they run on 90nm technology. PS3 models have newer components that run on 65nm technology as opposed to 90nm which may be similar in performance, but because they give off a lot less heat the failure rate is extremely low. The slim PS3 models have an improved cooling system and the components are now manufactured using the 45nm process (smaller and more efficient parts basically, but same spec). The Newer Xbox 360 Arcade and Elite models run on 65nm technology, so i believe RROD is not a problem if you were to buy a 360 today, RROD is a thing of the past. On that basis the PS3 slim should be the most reliable console, but we have yet to see the effects of wear and tear on it.
All Elites run on 65nm chips and my pro does, you need to subscribe to access facebook and last fm and such

Berethor
03 Nov 2009, 11:15 PM
All Elites run on 65nm chips and my pro does, you need to subscribe to access facebook and last fm and such

Well its only the really early ones that ran on 90nm, the ones with the 'Zephyr motherboard' in them. The elite was the first with 65nm on the Falcon motherboard. It took about 6 months for the elite to be released though didn't it? The 360 Pro 20GB got the new hardware in September 2007 aswell. If you bought yours before then it was on the old motherboard, which is probably why it broke, i'm assuming it was RROD? I'm getting most of this info from wiki so it might not be all that reliable, although the Xbox 360 page is likely to be protected/moderated to avoid people adding 'Xbox suckz0rz' and such :rolleyes: If anyone bought their 360 in around Spring 2008 or later and it Red ringed you are very unlucky, as most new models by then will have had the new hardware which has a lower failure rate.

Anyways enough about that. I think we can agree that while both have their pros and cons, there are all round both about the same. Both the same cost if you include online fees, both have similar features, one through aps the other through browser. Both have very similar system specs, one runs at a slightly higher clockspeed, but it makes little to no difference, it just means the framerate will be more stable.

The only real reason anyone would pick either console is the games and what console your friends have. I love Gran Turismo and Metal gear Solid is awesome, so i will always be a PS3 man, and i disagree with the notion of paying for online play when i already pay for the internet. I want my console to last 5+ years without any additional cost (except maintenance).

A few of my mates have Xbox 360s, but we have different game interests so i wouldn't play them often. I would be on Forza, Call of Duty, Fable or Lost Odyssey, they would be on Halo, Gears of war, Dead or Alive, Guilty gear, that sort of thing. They are all predominantly PC gamers anyway :rolleyes: I don't think any of them have a live subscription at the moment.

Gouranga
04 Nov 2009, 08:57 PM
Well its only the really early ones that ran on 90nm, the ones with the 'Zephyr motherboard' in them. The elite was the first with 65nm on the Falcon motherboard. It took about 6 months for the elite to be released though didn't it? The 360 Pro 20GB got the new hardware in September 2007 aswell. If you bought yours before then it was on the old motherboard, which is probably why it broke, i'm assuming it was RROD? I'm getting most of this info from wiki so it might not be all that reliable, although the Xbox 360 page is likely to be protected/moderated to avoid people adding 'Xbox suckz0rz' and such :rolleyes: If anyone bought their 360 in around Spring 2008 or later and it Red ringed you are very unlucky, as most new models by then will have had the new hardware which has a lower failure rate.

Anyways enough about that. I think we can agree that while both have their pros and cons, there are all round both about the same. Both the same cost if you include online fees, both have similar features, one through aps the other through browser. Both have very similar system specs, one runs at a slightly higher clockspeed, but it makes little to no difference, it just means the framerate will be more stable.

The only real reason anyone would pick either console is the games and what console your friends have. I love Gran Turismo and Metal gear Solid is awesome, so i will always be a PS3 man, and i disagree with the notion of paying for online play when i already pay for the internet. I want my console to last 5+ years without any additional cost (except maintenance).

A few of my mates have Xbox 360s, but we have different game interests so i wouldn't play them often. I would be on Forza, Call of Duty, Fable or Lost Odyssey, they would be on Halo, Gears of war, Dead or Alive, Guilty gear, that sort of thing. They are all predominantly PC gamers anyway :rolleyes: I don't think any of them have a live subscription at the moment.
The easy way to identify if your pro has 65nm chips is see if their is a hdmi slot, if there is then there is 65nm chips

Berethor
04 Nov 2009, 09:42 PM
The easy way to identify if your pro has 65nm chips is see if their is a hdmi slot, if there is then there is 65nm chips

Well that makes sense i suppose, if HMDI only came in with the new motherboard.