>> Disbanding / Freeing Troops
>> Advantages and Disadvantages of having a Trapper
>> Trapper and Trapped Strategies

How to build a Trapper

http://www.ebav.co.uk/travian/images/buildings/fallensteller.gif

Prerequisites:

GAUL tribe; Rally Point Level 1; Travian Version 3+

Trappers Function

The main use for the Trapper is traps. 1 Trap will trap 1 unit. So if you have 400 traps you will capture 400 units. The amount of traps available is increased per level. See Table at the end of this section to see how many traps are available per level. Building traps is rather like training troops in various aspects. As when you train troops, traps do not increase in cost throughout the server but the building time decreases when you level up the specific building.

Traps per Level:
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/Chris_Scotland_09/TrapperTable-1.png

Traps Cost:

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu14/KrulmaynE/trapcost-1.jpg

Traps?

Traps as I have talked about are the main function of the trapper. They are the item that makes the trapper a good building. For each trap you own, you trap a unit of the enemies attack. Question is though, How do you build the traps?

First you need to have a trapper. Then click on the trapper and you will be brought to this screen.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/Chris_Scotland_09/InsideaTrapper-2.png

From Top to Bottom:

This first line of text tells you how many Traps can be built at the level the trapper is.
The second line tells you how many Traps can be built at the next level.
The first number shows how many traps you currently have built, including Traps that have been filled. The second number tells you how many troops you have occupied in your traps, in that village.
This tells you how much each trap costs, how long each trap will take to build and the green little hyperlinked number will tell you how many traps you can create at the present moment. This takes into account resources in the village and the maximum number of traps allowed to have been built in the village (trapper level)

Type however many traps you want into the quantity box and then press Train and the traps will be built. If you have traps and you demolish your trapper the traps will stay but will not be rebuilt when released.

Disbanding / Freeing Troops

You now know how to build traps and would like to know how to use them, right? Well, Traps are always used in a battle. You cannot choose whether to use traps in an attack or not. They are used regardless whether they are useful or not.
To find out what has happened in the battle you read the report and it will tell you what has happened in the battle, Catapult damage, Ram damage, Loyalty, Scouting, Troops and Traps. Here is an example of a report including traps:

http://travian-reports.net/us/img/169360095dd.png

In this report you can see that the Attacker has had 3 of his troops trapped. These troops are taken out of the "battle" and are kept in the traps. The troops do not carry bounty if they are caught in a trap. To free your troops you must send an attack not a raid to the village and be successful (have at least one troop survive) and the trapped troops will be freed and return separately from the surviving troops. You do not have to be the person to free the troops. You can have someone in your alliance free the troops. The alliance member has to do exactly the same as what you would have done (send a successful attack) but will get a report saying:

http://travian-reports.net/us/img/169371f3711.png

As you can see the report does not say who the friendly units belong to but it does set the troops free. You do not get a report saying who or when your troops were freed, all you will see is the troops returning or them in your village overview.

If you want to see what troops you have trapped or where your troops are (who's traps), you have to click on your rally point and look down and you will see this screen:

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/Chris_Scotland_09/TrappedTroopsinRallyPoint.jpg

The screen above is for the person who owns the trapper. The only difference between the screens is that the green link says disband instead of release for troop owners. When you click disband it kills all your troops instantly and you can never get them back but they then stop eating your wheat and boost production.

When you release them you get all the traps the troops were occupying rebuilt at a faster speed, (0:40?) and the troops are sent home. You can choose which troops are sent home though so you are best to keep the catapults and send home defensive troops and weak infantry first and leave the Catapults and cavalry (they eat more wheat).

Advantages and Disadvantages of the Trapper

Advantages:

It stops a lot of troops from attacking you and at the start of the server when there isn't many troops about a trapper can do a lot of damage to a developing Teuton.
It gives you a lot of population for one building square, population isn't always a good thing but it can act as a deterrent at the start of the server.
You can store settlers in the trapper for safe keeping.

Disadvantages:

It uses up a building plot that could be used to house another Warehouse or Great Barracks.
It gives you a lot of population, eats into your wheat and less wheat means less room to store troops.
You can build troops which are able to defend you and can bring back resources.
If troops in your traps are disbanded you don't get defence points.

Strategies

Walking Troops Home:

This is a tactic that is known to lots of people and is used by most Gallic players.
What you do is you see that troops are trapped in your traps. When you free the troops you must have another screen ready to send troops to land just after the Trapped troops 'arrive' home'. You try and time the attack to arrive a second behind the troops arriving home and you then kill the troops and gain offensive points and gain the traps back for free. Since the T3.6 update you must have the troops to attack the village within 3hrs before you release the troops due to the Instant-Recall feature which lets you recall troops for the cost of gold and only if you don't have an attack incoming within 3hrs. You also have to watch out that he doesn't have defence in his village other than the troops you are walking back home.

Negotiating Ransom:

What you have to do is contact the owner of the troops you have trapped and ask him for x resources in return for his troops being released for free. Don't ask for too much as they may then attack you and you lose his troops and for 0 resources. I would say 5-15% depending on how well you think you can gain resources off them.

Filling up traps:

This tactic is done by first knowing how many traps the person has before you attack. The idea is that you attack with 10 troops before your "big" attack and the 10 troops before fill up the traps and you then free them in the "big" attack, which has all its troops in battle because the owner has full traps.

Safe Settler:

This only works if you have 2 or more villages. First, when you have a settler you send it to attack your village which has a trapper and traps waiting for the settler. When the attack lands the settler will stay in the trapper and will stay there till an ally or you free him. When you have the third settler waiting release the 2 settlers, not disband, and you will have 3 settlers safe ready to settle a village.

Multiply Trappers:

Since T3.6 Gauls have been able to build multiply trappers, like Warehouses and Granaries, when you have one level 20.
This update allows you to have a lot of Traps in supply villages and such to act as defence.

Supply: Main Building, Marketplace, A warehouse and a Granary. 16 Trappers, Traps = 6400

Defensive: Main Building, Armoury (later replaced with Trapper), Barracks, Marketplace, A Warehouse and a Granary and 14 (later 15) Trappers = 5600 traps (6000 traps)

Hope this helps.

cliff67
07 Jan 2010, 12:31 AM
Great thread most useful

dragon5
07 Jan 2010, 05:22 PM
Nice one crannys, should stop all the questions about it ;)

Crannys
07 Jan 2010, 07:40 PM
One can only hope, :rolleyes:

electricwolf
07 Jan 2010, 08:45 PM
A very well written guide. Top marks. :)

Maybe building times for traps and trappers would be useful? I think I saw a question about it once.

Crannys
07 Jan 2010, 09:38 PM
I looked for trap times and it doesn't tell you on the wiki. Will search Google Later though. I have already inserted the time for repaired if the troops are let free but I don't know if that changes for higher levels.

Edit: Found a Table showing the time for all levels, will update later.

Faerier
07 Jan 2010, 09:47 PM
Crannys great guide, can I make one request though. That you make an amendment to your key to make it more "key-like". The colours are a little hard to distinguish between... let me find example... http://darc.nerc.ac.uk/asset/assic/plots/colour_key.png

So you have the writing in normal text colour and make the line boxes 1-2 px thicker to make them more distinguishable.

Sorry to be a bit nit-picky, I just found them a little hard to read that's all :(

Otherwise it's a great guide.

NosajDraw
07 Jan 2010, 10:06 PM
Since T3.6 Gauls have been able to build multiply trappers, like Warehouses and Granaries, when you have one level 20. This update allows you to have 7600 traps, No main building, and you could in the end for supply villages have 6800 traps, Main Building, Marketplace, 1 Warehouse and 1 Granary. In defensive villages you could have, 6400, Barracks, Main Building, Armoury, Warehouse and Granary.I'd say a little alteration to the above. Once fully researched you don't need to have an armoury so could replace it with a trapper. However more useful would be a market place, because unless your defense troops are dieing as fast as you can build them I'm pretty sure at some point you will want to send resources away from the village.

Crannys
07 Jan 2010, 10:12 PM
I'd say a little alteration to the above. Once fully researched you don't need to have an armoury so could replace it with a trapper. However more useful would be a market place, because unless your defense troops are dieing as fast as you can build them I'm pretty sure at some point you will want to send resources away from the village.

Ok, Will change the layout to make the passage easier to read and then I will see what each village would need.

Crannys great guide, can I make one request though. That you make an amendment to your key to make it more "key-like". The colours are a little hard to distinguish between... let me find example... http://darc.nerc.ac.uk/asset/assic/plots/colour_key.png

So you have the writing in normal text colour and make the line boxes 1-2 px thicker to make them more distinguishable.

Sorry to be a bit nit-picky, I just found them a little hard to read that's all :(

Otherwise it's a great guide.

No, I would like the guide as good as possible.

Updated Table and Updated pictures. If the other picture would like some trapped troops at -68 -75 wait till BP's over?

badbrain
08 Jan 2010, 03:33 AM
haha ,all trappers do is get the player whacked as soon as teuts have catas.nice guide though...

electricwolf
08 Jan 2010, 02:29 PM
You cannot chose whether to use traps in an attack or not.

You can choose which troops are sent home though so you are best to keep the catapults and send home defensive troops and weak infantry first and leave the Catapults and caverly (they eat more wheat).

This is a tactic that is known to lots of people and is used by most Gaullic players.

Found 2 errors. (Not too sure about the last one)

Missed an 'o' in Choose.
Misspelt Cavalry.

And I'm not too sure whether it it Gaullic or Gallic.

Hope this helps.

dragon5
08 Jan 2010, 03:07 PM
Found 2 errors. (Not too sure about the last one)

Missed an 'o' in Choose.
Misspelt Cavalry.

And I'm not too sure whether it it Gaullic or Gallic.

Hope this helps.

I'm pretty sure it's Gallic.

Crannys
08 Jan 2010, 03:32 PM
Apart from those spelling mistakes is the guide good? Its Gallic apparently.

If you find spelling mistakes PM them.