PDA

View Full Version : Currently reading?

Pages : [1] 2

Lucidity
15 Feb 2010, 08:04 PM
What are you reading at the moment? A newspaper? A novel? A blog?

Share it with the class!

Me:
Democracy Kills: What's So Good About Having the Vote? ~ Humphrey Hawksley

hfhno1
15 Feb 2010, 08:10 PM
just finished the janson directive by robert ludlum (author of the bourne books which are a million times better than the films!) and am moving on to the whole truth by david baldacci

Fizzy
15 Feb 2010, 08:12 PM
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn on a Sony Reader

Second Heartbeat
15 Feb 2010, 08:13 PM
Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, but i can't stand the Pride & Prejudice part :(

Jack
15 Feb 2010, 08:13 PM
Well, im near the end of the Oxford dictionary and when i finish with that im making a start on the complete set of Britannica Encyclopedia.

PeachyMcWiggins
15 Feb 2010, 08:15 PM
The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks

Recommended by ickle a f ew weeks ago. :)

After that ive got Patient Zero lined up. :D

Berzerker
15 Feb 2010, 08:16 PM
Well, im near the end of the Oxford dictionary and when i finish with that im making a start on the complete set of Britannica Encyclopedia.

:eek: how old are you?

Now: Finished reading Wolves of the Plains or summat like that by Conn Iggluden- very good book

Jack
15 Feb 2010, 08:18 PM
:eek: how old are you?

Now: Finished reading Wolves of the Plains or summat like that by Conn Iggluden- very good book

14 :P
random characters

Singalong
15 Feb 2010, 08:21 PM
I'm reading Battle Tactics of Napoleon and his Enemies by Brent Nosworthy

Its truly fascinating analysing the different infantry and cavalry tactics used by the armies of the period, their similarities and their differences. I love it :)

missrat
15 Feb 2010, 08:21 PM
read p&p&zombies in a weekend much better than the original Mr Darcy: Vampire was good too i have just finished The Childrens Book by A S Byatt it was good but not very exciting my favs are Tess of the D'urbervilles and Wuthering Heghts

Saffy
15 Feb 2010, 08:36 PM
Saga of the Seven Suns : Hidden Empire

And : Eureka! 81 Key Ideas Explained.

TwoTime
15 Feb 2010, 08:42 PM
Steig Larsson's 'The Girl who Played with Fire'.

It arrived in the post today, which I'm taking as a sign that the universe loves me, because I had just finished reading 'Soul Therapy' by Joy Manne.

I love it when a plan comes together. :)

yepidoodles
15 Feb 2010, 08:45 PM
unbelieveably, i'm not reading one at the moment, not very often that happens! lolz

ethereal
15 Feb 2010, 08:48 PM
Roberto Bolano's 2666. Just getting started but I enjoyed The Savage Detectives so I have high expectations for this one as well.

Berzerker
15 Feb 2010, 08:52 PM
14 :P
random characters

I'd read the Oxford Dictionary when I was 9- no joke ;)

irish hammer
15 Feb 2010, 08:55 PM
jeremy clarkson-driven to distraction

astrox
15 Feb 2010, 09:00 PM
well this may be hard to believe but I am reading 5 (writing one) different books,

~ Cherub, Divine Madness
~ Henderson's Boys, Secret Army
~Charlie Bone and the time twister
~ How to avoid a wombats bum
~ How much poo does and elephant do
~ And I am writing a novel, Teleport,

And I'm only 11.

Destine
15 Feb 2010, 09:00 PM
Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, but i can't stand the Pride & Prejudice part :(

I bought that expecting great things but only got a few pages in. Nice idea, but having read the original Jane Austen version not long before it was very tedious.

Now reading World War Z: An oral history of the Zombie War, and wow.. it is truly immense. Get it, right now. :eek:

jtking3141
15 Feb 2010, 09:12 PM
the world as will and representation by arthur schopenhauer

Second Heartbeat
15 Feb 2010, 09:13 PM
I bought that expecting great things but only got a few pages in. Nice idea, but having read the original Jane Austen version not long before it was very tedious.

Now reading World War Z: An oral history of the Zombie War, and wow.. it is truly immense. Get it, right now. :eek:

It sounds good :)
I'm a huge fan of the "of the dead" film series by George A. Romero, so any zombie books catch my attention :)

Jalis
15 Feb 2010, 09:13 PM
I prefer to write than read :)

U.N. Owen
15 Feb 2010, 09:24 PM
currently reading = this thread :)

Cassandra
15 Feb 2010, 09:33 PM
Just started reading Under the Dome by Steven King.

hfhno1
15 Feb 2010, 09:44 PM
anyone read the lost symbol yet? i have it but havent got around to reading it yet.

Turpinator
15 Feb 2010, 09:58 PM
Now - Nearly finnished Reading this thread ;)

EDIT:
Now - Just read that someone already said my joke :(
lol

2xw
15 Feb 2010, 10:40 PM
Im slowly working my way through the books from the beat generation - currently reading On The Road by Jack Keroac

darkjudo
15 Feb 2010, 11:08 PM
this thread lol
and trying to get back into reading books but with hardly any focus :(

Pan
15 Feb 2010, 11:59 PM
Reading the homework i wrote earlier...Badtimes.

Erm, but as novels go im reading : Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy. Because the books so much better than the film =p

hfhno1
16 Feb 2010, 11:15 AM
Reading the homework i wrote earlier...Badtimes.

Erm, but as novels go im reading : Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy. Because the books so much better than the film =p

If anybody wants a ridiculously hard challenge, type HGTTG text game into google. best of luck and dont forget that the piece of fluff comes in handy!!;)

deepbluesea
16 Feb 2010, 02:57 PM
Currently: Jane Eyre, Sabriel (by Garth Nix) and For Crying Out Loud (By Jeremy Clarkson).

Yep- I'm reading all three at once. But to be fair- the first is for English Lit, second is my own choice and the third because Clarkson's always good for the lols :D

Sidewinder
17 Feb 2010, 05:31 PM
Sabriel (by Garth Nix)

Good book :)

Reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. Nearly finished though =/

Hrbdefender
17 Feb 2010, 05:32 PM
The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks

Recommended by ickle a f ew weeks ago. :)

:D

I'm reading it right now as well! Well, done the first two (prologue and first one), and now onto the elfstones

Adkill
18 Feb 2010, 12:23 AM
I'm reading it right now as well! Well, done the first two (prologue and first one), and now onto the elfstones

I read the Sword of Shannara and got about halfway through Elfstones before stopping. Felt a bit too much like Lord of the Rings, really. Elfstones not so much, from what I remember reading of it, but at the time I was reading it I was distracted by other things.

Sort of reading Last of the Wilds by Trudi Canavan at the moment. I read the first one in the series about a year ago, so I can't really get into this one, 'cause I don't remember half of the characters :P

Keiji_Maeda
18 Feb 2010, 12:36 AM
I know how that feels Adkill! I did the same with the Old Kingdom Series by Garth Nix.

Still reading the epic Romance of The Three Kingdoms (Vol 1.)

Doesnt get any easier to read... but does get more awesome :D

Carrothead
18 Feb 2010, 12:41 AM
I'm going to start reading the Band of Brothers book soon, apparently it's more detailed than the series so should be good.

mighty cheese
18 Feb 2010, 10:57 AM
Me: This thread. :P

Sidewinder
18 Feb 2010, 01:14 PM
Sort of reading Last of the Wilds by Trudi Canavan at the moment. I read the first one in the series about a year ago, so I can't really get into this one, 'cause I don't remember half of the characters :P

It's a really good series imo but does get pretty damned predictable at times. The 'shocking' revelations are mostly obvious before the characters realise =/

Not really reading anything now (finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?) but contemplating starting Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. Anyone read it?

Hrbdefender
18 Feb 2010, 01:46 PM
I read the Sword of Shannara and got about halfway through Elfstones before stopping. Felt a bit too much like Lord of the Rings, really. Elfstones not so much, from what I remember reading of it, but at the time I was reading it I was distracted by other things.

Yeah, I thought that whilst reading the first two; but, it does have merits of it's own which I like.

And, isn't she the one that wrote "The Black Magician" trilogy? If so, I loved that series

Sidewinder
18 Feb 2010, 01:55 PM
And, isn't she the one that wrote "The Black Magician" trilogy? If so, I loved that series

It is indeed. I liked the Black Magician books but preferred the 'Last of the Wilds' series (I forget what it's actually called...)

boomchikawawa
19 Feb 2010, 12:17 PM
CHERUB series, v. good

hayleymac
19 Feb 2010, 12:21 PM
~ How much poo does and elephant do

I've never read this, but purchased for a friends son....did flick through and thought it looked funny

Fabs
19 Feb 2010, 12:24 PM
Currently Reading: La ciudad de las Bestias by Isabel Allende

Lucidity
29 Apr 2010, 06:51 PM
The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli. (Again)

(Shameless bump of own thread FTW)

Hrbdefender
29 Apr 2010, 06:52 PM
The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli. (Again)

(Shameless bump of own thread FTW)

I've always wanted to read that.

The Druid of Shannara-Terry Brooks

Gouranga
29 Apr 2010, 10:10 PM
A short history of nearly everything - Bill Bryson

Carrothead
29 Apr 2010, 10:12 PM
Band of Brothers - Stephen Ambrose.

SpeedRunner
29 Apr 2010, 11:15 PM
Top shelf material.

Sidewinder
29 Apr 2010, 11:17 PM
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest - Stieg Larsson

Jack
01 Mar 2011, 10:32 PM
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.
I'd recommend it, best book I've read from what I can remember, ever :)

Cherrypip
01 Mar 2011, 10:48 PM
Currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - a friend recommended it so it better be good!

Lucidity
01 Mar 2011, 10:51 PM
Joe Abercrombie - The Dagger Itself

and...

Antony Beevor - D-Day

Tilifika
01 Mar 2011, 11:26 PM
Isaac Asimov - Foundation and Empire

Cryos
01 Mar 2011, 11:38 PM
Wally Lamb - Shes come undone

Lucidity
10 Mar 2011, 10:12 PM
Joe Abercrombie - Last Argument of Kings

Second Heartbeat
10 Mar 2011, 10:17 PM
The Dreadnoughts. Not sure of who the author is though :(

itsnotquiteover
10 Mar 2011, 10:18 PM
All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque

Touched
10 Mar 2011, 10:23 PM
Just finished Fatherland by Rob Harris.

Sleeping Dragon
10 Mar 2011, 10:43 PM
Approximation von Funktionen und ihre numerische Behandlung
by Gunter Meinardus

itsnotquiteover
11 Mar 2011, 11:22 AM
Anyone have any good suggestions of a book at the moment? I love my books but struggling to find one that interests me, or that I haven't read a million times before :confused:

Jarre
11 Mar 2011, 11:27 AM
Currently reading (in my spare time not this second at work) The dreaming Void by Peter F Hamilton.

RichardM
11 Mar 2011, 11:20 PM
Anyone have any good suggestions of a book at the moment? I love my books but struggling to find one that interests me, or that I haven't read a million times before :confused:
What kind of books do you read?

Lucidity
08 May 2011, 06:31 PM
The Painted Man - Peter V. Brett

Lucidity
22 Jun 2011, 09:38 PM
Killer of Men - Christian Cameron

(Thanks KK ;))

Tilifika
22 Jun 2011, 09:44 PM
Ernest Hemingway - The Sun Also Rises.

Morgasshk
23 Jun 2011, 02:53 AM
I love my book collection :P

Though, having a kids moment and reading a few Redwall books :)

Taulphin
23 Jun 2011, 04:07 PM
Trouble Twisters, mostly off the back of my soft spot for Garth Nix who is responsible for some of my favourite necromancers... Even if YA books tend to vanish in a single bite. Lovely cover too. I'm not expecting much from it in all honesty.

I needed something to fall straight into after Embedded by Dan Abnett which goes from 0-60 one third of the way through and never lifts the foot off the pedal after that... It actually crashes at the end, in a good way but you kinda wish you had another chapter to clear up the wreckage.

Lucidity
07 Jul 2011, 06:57 PM
Just finished Among Theives: A Tale of the Kin by Douglas Hulick. Good book, would recommend it. :)

Now reading: Nothing! :mad:

Andi
07 Jul 2011, 06:58 PM
Just bought Game of thrones :)

Lucidity
09 Jul 2011, 09:08 PM
The Way Of Shadows - Brent Weeks.

This is one of my holiday books that I was saving, but I succumbed to my desires. :( I'm a bad boy.

KatnipKitteh
10 Jul 2011, 03:29 PM
The Way Of Shadows - Brent Weeks.

This is one of my holiday books that I was saving, but I succumbed to my desires. :( I'm a bad boy.

:-0

I am unimpressed, read one chic-lit book as punishment :-P :-)

Lucidity
26 Jul 2011, 09:15 PM
:-0

I am unimpressed, read one chic-lit book as punishment :-P :-)

NoooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!

Since last post, have read book 2+3 of the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks.

Now reading: A Dance With Dragons - George RR Martin.

Lucidity
05 Aug 2011, 10:07 PM
Just read: The Legion - Simon Scarrow

Now reading: Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Lucidity
11 Aug 2011, 11:16 PM
Just read: The Forgotten Highlander - Alistair Urquhart

About to read: The Magicians' Guild - Trudi Canavan

Ps. Someone needs to change the thread title to "What's Lucidity currently reading?"

Samantha78
11 Aug 2011, 11:29 PM
page 21 of a 350 page consultation document :D (better Lucid? :p)

wgn
11 Aug 2011, 11:38 PM
Just read The Lies of Locke Lamora. Worth a read to anyone who hasn't heard of it. Its written by Scott Lynch.

Morgasshk
11 Aug 2011, 11:57 PM
Now on the last book of the Dark Elf series (16 novels) by R.A.Salvatore.

Great fun :)

Zeta
11 Aug 2011, 11:58 PM
Brides Magazine

Samantha78
02 Sep 2011, 12:15 AM
I read One Day (then saw the movie because the book was great)

Just finished the Rivers of London (swiftly followed by Moon under Soho by Ben Aaronovitch. Gaiman fans will love them.

Trouble
02 Sep 2011, 01:46 AM
game of thrones ;)

Mouse-Keyboard
02 Sep 2011, 01:14 PM
Lotr .

CrowZer0
02 Nov 2011, 10:06 AM
Ah, I also reccomend Scott Lynch, the Lies of Locke Lamora, Red Seas under Red skies was also good, The Painted Man I would second that, also part two Desert Spear was a lot better. The Night Angel Trilogy is so so. If you liked that I would reccomend The Final Empire Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

A dance with dragons was meh.

Currently rereading The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, would highly reccomend Patrick Rothufuss - The Name of the Wind.

Mouse-Keyboard
02 Nov 2011, 04:51 PM
Mort - Terry Pratchett

boomchikawawa
19 Nov 2011, 01:40 PM
Red storm rising - Tom Clancy - EPIC

itsnotquiteover
28 Nov 2011, 10:51 AM
Misery - Stephen King

Lucidity
28 Nov 2011, 11:12 AM
Why Does E=mc2? - Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw

wgn
12 Dec 2011, 12:16 AM
Just finished reading Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

I can never help but feel like someone close to me has died when a series of books as good as these ones finish :(

Fabrestuta
07 Jan 2012, 05:55 PM
Reading Barbarossa by Alan Clark.

Berzerker
07 Jan 2012, 08:12 PM
Just finished reading Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

I can never help but feel like someone close to me has died when a series of books as good as these ones finish :(

Read Conn Iggulden's books about the Khan dynasty. Brilliant series, and I would recommend them to everyone. (May be slightly more...bloody than Inheritance :D )
I'm reading the first one again now, Wolf of the Plains

wgn
07 Jan 2012, 08:28 PM
Awesome, thanks.

I'm at that point where all the authors I read are still writing new material so have been looking for something to read. Currently reading the Twilight series for the quad trillion time.

Berzerker
07 Jan 2012, 09:10 PM
Awesome, thanks.

I'm at that point where all the authors I read are still writing new material so have been looking for something to read. Currently reading the Twilight series for the quad trillion time.

You like Fantasy?

Mouse-Keyboard
07 Jan 2012, 10:10 PM
Currently reading the Twilight series for the quad trillion time.

<insert comment about how you have no taste in books>

wgn
07 Jan 2012, 10:18 PM
You like Fantasy?

Yep, anything slightly magical or otherworldly is for me although there have been some great authors who's work I can't stand for some weird reason. Terry Pratchett is one of them to give an example...

insert comment about how you have no taste in books

Oh I know, at least I can agree with the majority of the worlds population who aren't screaming girls that the films suck. Like a lot of people in current times I have a strange fascination with vampires and anything remotely immortal. While a lot of the cringe factor in the love theme of the books did put me off I powered through and found the strange world Stephenie Meyer created oddly enjoyable. After re-reading the books several times like I do to ALL of the books in my collection I admit I do become a little bit obsessed.

Samantha78
07 Jan 2012, 10:36 PM
Yep, anything slightly magical or otherworldly is for me although there have been some great authors who's work I can't stand for some weird reason. Terry Pratchett is one of them to give an example...

TP is very good....though there are some of his strands I much prefer to others. So I adore most of the books around the wizards and witches, but never managed to finish Nations.

mmmm you read/tried Jasper Fforde?

wgn
07 Jan 2012, 10:47 PM
I've never read their work I'm afraid. I'm really bad at judging books by their covers so when I came across this guy and saw the vivid, (in my opinion childish) art on the front cover I was instantly put off and didn't even bother to read the blurb.

Samantha78
07 Jan 2012, 10:55 PM
I've never read their work I'm afraid. I'm really bad at judging books by their covers so when I came across this guy and saw the vivid, (in my opinion childish) art on the front cover I was instantly put off and didn't even bother to read the blurb.

mmmm it's not childish in terms of immature....it's possibly childish along the lines of unrestrained enthusiasm and creativity... it's worth reading a chapter - within a chapter you'd know whether you like or not - a bit marmite-ish; but very unique

amazon does the first few pages http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyre-Affair-Thursday-Next/dp/034073356X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325976832&sr=1-2

Jarre
07 Jan 2012, 11:08 PM
The Dreaming Void - by Peter F Hamilton on my Kindle.

wgn
07 Jan 2012, 11:11 PM
mmmm it's not childish in terms of immature....it's possibly childish along the lines of unrestrained enthusiasm and creativity... it's worth reading a chapter - within a chapter you'd know whether you like or not - a bit marmite-ish; but very uniqueamazon does the first few pages http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyre-Affair-Thursday-Next/dp/034073356X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325976832&sr=1-2

Thanks I'll check it out tonight. And yes, unrestrained enthusiasm and creativity are exactly the words I was searching for. Judging books by just looking at the covers is a problem I've had since childhood and I've never managed to shake it.

Berzerker
07 Jan 2012, 11:27 PM
You read the Skulduggery Pleasant series? Its up there with my favourite series of all time, and pretty unique too.

Samantha78
07 Jan 2012, 11:35 PM
Thanks I'll check it out tonight. And yes, unrestrained enthusiasm and creativity are exactly the words I was searching for. Judging books by just looking at the covers is a problem I've had since childhood and I've never managed to shake it.

e-books....

his books have different covers which may not have helped either lol one serious, one playful - you might hate it :D but you might not :p

Jakeyyy
08 Jan 2012, 04:13 AM
FHM magazine. ;)

Stevieus
08 Jan 2012, 04:17 AM
I'm going to learn to read one day.....

Just don't have the attention span for it.

Mouse-Keyboard
08 Jan 2012, 03:07 PM
You read the Skulduggery Pleasant series? Its up there with my favourite series of all time, and pretty unique too.

I've read the first one, but that's it :/

wgn
08 Feb 2012, 08:22 PM
Just finished The Hunger Games.

I won't deny I enjoyed the story, but the destruction, cruelty and brutality portrayed in the books has left me feeling seriously depressed and upset.

wgn
14 Feb 2012, 11:06 PM
Under the Never Sky - by Veronica Rossi

wgn
17 Feb 2012, 10:21 AM
Graceling - Kristin Cashore

wgn
10 Mar 2012, 11:52 PM
Had a reading spree recently.

After Graceling I read the next book Fire, then due to the author's blog (Kristin Cashore) I started to read the books by Maria V Snyder;

Poisen Study- Maria V Snyder

Magic Study- Maria V Snyder

Fire study- Maria V Snyder

Storm Glass- Maria V Snyder

Sea Glass- Maria V Snyder

Spy Glass- Maria V Snyder

Inside Out- Maria V Snyder

Outside In- Maria V Snyder

I also read in-between;

Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Lani Taylor

Rogue - Trudi Canavan

Currently reading - Power of Touch - Maria V Snyder

Of the Maria V Snyder books I really enjoyed reading first 3 (Poison study, Magic Study and Fire Study) and the next 3 (Storm Glass, Sea Glass and Spy Glass) were just as good although if I were to re-read the books I'd much rather re-read the first 3 when when the world is introduced. Inside Out and Outside In were a nice relief from her previous books and I love the authors creativity to create a story entirely different from her previous books.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone was a great read and I can't wait for the next book which I sadly have a long wait for. After reading the previous books it was pretty obvious how the romance was going to turn out as Lani Taylor, Maria V Snyder and Kristin Cashore all have simular styles but I still enjoyed it just as much.

Trudi Canavan is my favorite Austrailan author and if you haven't read The Black Magician Trilogy or Age of the Five series I suggest you go out now and buy them. I think older readers would prefer the Age of the Five series more but I find them both great reads and The Traitor Spy trilogy is proving to be equally thrilling.

Jakeyyy
14 Mar 2012, 02:50 AM
I'm currently reading what I am writing to make sure I do not make any mistakes.

wgn
18 Mar 2012, 06:53 PM
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

After reading this book I've had to add Erin Morgenstern to my top 10 authors list. Quite rare for many books, it only took her the first 3 pages, a chapter simply titled Anticipation and I was hooked. Although hard to follow in places due to the converging timeline between chapters I found this suited the book perfectly and it kept me as a reader on my on toes while trying to foresee the incoming plot twists in which most took me by surprise. Also, unlike the books in my previous post which are simply easy reads this one is much more advanced and better suited to the older reader while her depth of detail makes the story much more vivid and believable. It also made a change to read a book in the third person...

wgn
12 Jun 2012, 07:57 PM
Bitterblue - Kristin Cashmore (Loved it. Author really comes into her own).

Cosmopolis - Don DeLillo (Read in preparation for the upcoming film. Slightly hard to follow in places and erratic so it took some getting into).

boomchikawawa
21 Jul 2012, 11:05 AM
'Red Heat' By Alex von Tunzelman (or something like that) - pretty much slags off America in the Caribbean from around 1850 to modern day...

Jakeyyy
22 Jul 2012, 07:20 AM
*Me waits for all the women (And MOD Ross) to write 50 shades of grey*

PinkFairyKing
23 Jul 2012, 12:01 PM

It wouldnt surprise me if Ross was reading it!

Jakeyyy
26 Jul 2012, 06:22 AM
It wouldnt surprise me if Ross was reading it!

He went and bought it the other day and that is the honest truth.

PinkFairyKing
26 Jul 2012, 10:00 AM
He went and bought it the other day and that is the honest truth.

Seriously?

Samantha78
26 Jul 2012, 11:19 AM
Seriously?

Yeah; he's fibbing. Ross downloaded it; he didn't go to a shop to buy it.

Instead, this month's reading has been:

The Woman Who Died a Lot by Jasper Fforde http:://www.jasperfforde.com/nextbook.html :loveyou:
The Long Earth by Pratchett and someone else http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Earth
Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whispers-Under-Ground-Rivers-London/dp/0575097647
Changling by Philippa Gregory http://www.amazon.co.uk/Changeling-Philippa-Gregory/dp/0857077309/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

which are my main favourite authors - so they were all great and I would recommend all of them to everyone (although I've yet to persuade wgn of unquestionable Jasper's talent); and it's v. unfair they were all released in the same month :depress:

I also went to the mini-book launch speeches by Jasper and Ben in London - they are both v. smart and funny :)

and nearly finished Johnson's Life of London (aka Boris showing off his history lessons) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Johnsons-Life-London-People-World/dp/0007418930

I am not currently planning to read 50 Shades of Grey *kicks Jake*

Jakeyyy
26 Jul 2012, 05:01 PM
Ouch. :(

Shush you and go back to book club.

93ross
26 Jul 2012, 07:13 PM
I did actually go and buy it the other day... Its not for me though! ;)

Jakeyyy
27 Jul 2012, 04:26 AM
It's for his *male* partner.

93ross
27 Jul 2012, 11:25 PM
It's for his *male* partner.

You shouldn't be admitting you read it! :oops:

Jakeyyy
28 Jul 2012, 08:54 PM
Ross, too far dude, too far.

Destine
28 Jul 2012, 11:42 PM

I keep hearing about this book, I'll have to give it a try sometime.

The Stranger by Albert Camus right now. It's not bad.

Jakeyyy
31 Jul 2012, 04:25 AM
I keep hearing about this book, I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Alun, you're kidding right? :O

Destine
01 Aug 2012, 11:34 PM

Don't knock it until you've tried it sir. :horse:

I wouldn't buy it, but if I knew someone with it, why not? mite b cool.

Stevieus
02 Aug 2012, 01:16 AM
I hear it's pretty much a manual on keeping your dishwasher under control. Though I did hear that from an eternally unsheathed swordsman....

Might as well see what all the fuss is about though.

Now: Heinz Baked Bean: Recipes, History, Trivia and More

Samantha78
28 Sep 2012, 10:05 AM
Dodger by pratchett (yes, there is a bit of a theme here :D), he's such a fantastic story teller and it fits my very favourite genre of Lobdon based with few twists

And I've finally picked up and got into the Night Circus which is ever so enchanting

(And still sulking that Philippa Gregory's latest has the kindle version priced higher than the hardback -_-

Father Nature
29 Sep 2012, 06:05 PM
Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

I am a bit behind everyone else with the hunger games books but meh.

gilli247
06 Oct 2012, 04:30 PM
I read 50 shades ;)

James

Moog
23 Oct 2012, 12:53 AM
I'm burning 50 shades on a bonfire without reading it, along with Dan Browne's collected ouvre, again unread (I did get about 50 pages in to one of his works, before ripping it apart in disgust, and I hate people who destroy books.) Just finished 'Wolf Hall' (Hilary Mantell), very good; about to re-read Primo Levi's 'If this is a man', which I do at least once a decade. Most stunning book of the 20th century. Got the next Joe Abercrombie on order too, so that should be good.

Jezvslexx
25 Oct 2012, 08:31 PM
I've just read The Lost Girls by Jason Halstead, I got it on my iPad for free so thought I'd give it a go, it's good, not brilliant but very few books are.I'll be reading Emily bronte poems next which I do at lease twice a year because I love her poetry.

Moog
27 Oct 2012, 11:35 PM
Could you post one of them? I've read the works of the Bronte sisters, yet remain unfamiliar with their poetry. Could you enlighten me?

Jezvslexx
29 Oct 2012, 02:43 PM
Stanzas.
I'll not weep that thou art going to leave me,
There's nothing lovely here,
And doubly will the dark world grieve me,
While thy heart suffers there.

I'll not weep, because the summer's glory
Must always end in gloom;
And follow out the happiest story -
It closes with a tomb!

And I weary of the anguish
Increasing winters bear;
Weary to watch the spirit languish
Through years of dead despair.

So, if a tear, when thou art dying,
Should haply fall from me,
It is but that my soul is sighing,
To go and rest with thee.

It's a bit morbid I know, but it's the last poem I read last night, you should give her a try, I haven't read any of her sisters stuff, so I don't know if they are any good.

Tibs
30 Oct 2012, 09:11 PM
I was reading 'The Beach', you know the one for which they made a film starring DiCaprio in.

MOD LMT
30 Oct 2012, 10:15 PM
I tried to read 50 shades, purely because everyone else at work was talking about it. Fell asleep after reading a couple of pages, tried the next again day, gave up and deleted it off my iPad and got my money back from amazon for it too :D

justcheckin
30 Oct 2012, 11:08 PM
I'm currently reading The Catcher in the Rye.

I'm disappointed with how badly the book has aged. A friend gave it to me telling me it was brilliant but I have nothing but contempt for the main character and his exaggeration was funny at first but has really wore thin now. I'm about to finish the book but I certainly won't be re-reading.

I read Dracula before that which ages very well. I like the way the story is told in Journals and letters and the characters are easy to identify with. It has certainly aged better that the former book.

Next after tonight will be No Country for Old Men. I'm told good things so i'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into it.

justcheckin
13 Nov 2012, 12:44 AM
Dum de da dum! Double post!

Has anyone read No Country for Old Men?

I physically can't read it as the lack of quotation marks and most punctuation is driving me batty. It's just too much like effort and not enjoyable. I've read people saying it helps the story to flow better and such. Maybe i'm just unable to appreciate this great writing but it really annoys me trying to read it.

I'm going to read some Stephen King now to relax mind and maybe try again at NCFOM after. I can't see it going well though.

Zeta
14 Nov 2012, 12:31 PM
JC is reading! Where is Lucidity? You both can read now :)

What am I reading?

A level Mathematics for Edexcel, Core C1 C2 :oops:

itsnotquiteover
15 Nov 2012, 10:59 AM
Currently reading the Hungar Games trilogy, always put off reading it for some reason but been hooked since I started.

septimus ii
15 Nov 2012, 11:10 AM
I read the first one years ago, and enjoyed it. Are the other books as good?

itsnotquiteover
15 Nov 2012, 01:44 PM
If you enjoyed the first, the second and third are just as good as it. There are some weird twists that keep you engrossed in the story line. I guess my only issue is the ending of the last one, seems a bit anti climatic after the way the story goes over the 3 books. That's probably just me though.

DDD1122
16 Nov 2012, 12:20 AM
I read the first book, and I enjoyed it but I just can't see where the story is going. And I also don't like the way they are written in the present tense, feels unnatural.

Stevieus
19 Nov 2012, 11:39 PM
The ingredients of Mugshot Creamy Cheese Pasta.

Zeta
19 Nov 2012, 11:47 PM
A level Mathematics for Edexcel, Core C1 C2 :oops:

The ingredients of Mugshot Creamy Cheese Pasta.
How did we manage Tullia to like talking to us?
:oops:

septimus ii
20 Nov 2012, 12:09 AM
you bribed her with :cookie: and :tullia: ?

Zeta
20 Nov 2012, 08:32 AM
you bribed her with :cookie: and :tullia: ?

You know me too well :cookie:

:) :tullia: :)

Reading as before. I'm a slow reader :oops:

PinkFairyKing
18 Dec 2012, 09:10 PM
Just finished reading the Hunger Games Trilogy after a recommendation and I found it a very good book. My only critique would be the last chapter. It was way too rushed for my liking and I felt like there could have being around 30 more pages there.

gazzman
19 Dec 2012, 11:11 PM
Just read all the A Song of Ice and Fire books by George R.R. Martin, brilliant and hard to put down, only problem is the next book in the series isn't due till 2015 :( Luckily Conn Iggulden is writing another book for his Emperor series which should be out soon I hope. His Conquerer series is well worth reading too.

justcheckin
19 Dec 2012, 11:30 PM
Am going to start Three Musketeers when I get around to it...soon I hope.

I bought the three LotR books today as I haven't read them before.

Hrbdefender
19 Dec 2012, 11:36 PM
I bought the three LotR books today as I haven't read them before.

I feel sorry for you reading the first one hundred pages of the Fellowship. Tom bloody Bombadil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wgn
30 Dec 2012, 12:25 PM
The Name of The Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss

Fabrestuta
05 Jan 2013, 09:50 PM
Re-reading World War Z by Max Brooks. I wanted to read it again because of the upcoming film, unfortunately all trailers I have seen have absolutely nothing to do with the books style. It really looks like a steaming pile of crap. :mad:

Jezvslexx
03 Apr 2013, 09:24 PM
Amelia and the Storyteller a cautionary tale by Ben Savage, I've only found it on kindal, it's really good, I'm really enjoying it.

Glasgow_Jock
12 Apr 2013, 04:47 PM
Re-reading World War Z by Max Brooks. I wanted to read it again because of the upcoming film, unfortunately all trailers I have seen have absolutely nothing to do with the books style. It really looks like a steaming pile of crap. :mad:

As a stand alone film I'm looking forward to it, however agreed, took very little from the book by the looks of it.

I've read both the survival guide and world war Z, fantastic bits of fiction :D

I'm currently working my way through Isaac Asimov's foundation trilogy.

PinkFairyKing
12 Apr 2013, 05:38 PM
Just working my way through the entire set of Walking Dead comics to date...

Does this count as reading? :D

Fabrestuta
27 Apr 2013, 05:39 PM
As a stand alone film I'm looking forward to it, however agreed, took very little from the book by the looks of it.

I've read both the survival guide and world war Z, fantastic bits of fiction :D

I'm currently working my way through Isaac Asimov's foundation trilogy.

Agreed. As a stand alone I might be into the film but, because it has the World War Z title fans of the book are going to be mightily disappointed. The book is all about peoples individual stories of survival rather than a lot of face munching ( I do enjoy a bit of face munching though). The zombie survival guide is great too.

Mikle
28 Apr 2013, 11:05 AM
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera

a few days back I re-read Candide - Voltaire
I'd recommend it.

curty4000
01 May 2013, 09:50 PM
Shamefully aged 20 I am only just starting Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" after giving up on James Joyce's "Ulysses"

Fabrestuta
04 May 2013, 05:11 PM
Shamefully aged 20 I am only just starting Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" after giving up on James Joyce's "Ulysses"

If you think Ulysses is hard to read try Finnegans Wake. I am a paddy but Joyce is one of the most overrated writers in Irish history in my opinion.

curty4000
04 May 2013, 06:51 PM
I can't read Finnegans Wake, I only speak English (and the absolute tiniest bit of Irish I used in my English A-Level) and Joyce is a quite brilliant author imo, although I am biased by the fact that I read his works on the recommendation of my Irish Lit teacher who I thought the world of.

Fabrestuta
04 May 2013, 06:58 PM
Lol you don't need to understand Irish to read Finnegans Wake. Its complete jibberish. I was forced to read it in school and is probably why I am biased against Joyce, just as you are biased towards Joyce.
Anthony Burgess classed Finnegans Wake as one the true masterpieces of literary history and that shows if you have ever tried to read A Clockwork Orange. Also filled with complete jibberish.

curty4000
04 May 2013, 09:00 PM
I know Finnegans wake has no Irish but it was written in 3 languages though (either that or I'm thinking of another piece of Joyce work)

wgn
26 Jul 2013, 11:09 PM
Throne of Glass - Sarah J Maas
One Shot Kill - Robert Muchamore
Through the Ever Night - Veronica Rossi
Ender Game - Orson Scott Card
Speaker for The Dead - Orson Scott Card
Xenocide - Orson Scott Card

Samantha78
27 Jul 2013, 02:31 PM
I'm up to Book 3 of Game of Thrones :loveyou: and there is list of books piling up in the q behind it

wgn
27 Jul 2013, 05:10 PM
Who is your favourite character in the books?

Samantha78
27 Jul 2013, 05:31 PM
Tyrion lol (and Arya, Jon and Dany are all really distinctive characters)

Jakeyyy
27 Jul 2013, 11:35 PM
Oh no. Not game of Thrones.

Why Samantha, Why?!

Samantha78
27 Jul 2013, 11:43 PM
they are really good :p (but I am refusing to watch the tv series until after the books)

Jakeyyy
27 Jul 2013, 11:45 PM
they are really good :p (but I am refusing to watch the tv series until after the books)

I can assure you the TV series may not be what you expect! It has a bit of... you know, and a bit of.. you know what.

Actually, thinking about it, you might like it! ;)

Samantha78
27 Jul 2013, 11:49 PM
Did you actually watch it?

Jakeyyy
27 Jul 2013, 11:51 PM
Did you actually watch it?

I watched a few episodes and decided it was not for me.

The Walking Dead.. that's a show you should watch ;)

Samantha78
28 Jul 2013, 12:12 AM
No; I don't like scary stuff :p and this is about books not TV....

so amazon wish list...

Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
Data Points: Visualization That Means Something
The Infographic History of the World
Bad Monkey (Carl Hiaason)
Stormbringers (Order of Darkness)
Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns
Hubble Bubble (Choc Lit)
A Discovery of Witches
The Secret Life of William Shakespeare
The River of No Return
The Last Caesar
The Diaries of a Fleet Street Fox
The White Princess
Fated: An Alex Verus Novel
The Long War (Pratchett)
The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day
The City
As They Slept - Part 2 (The comical tales of a London commuter)
Bossypants (Tina Fey bio)
Murdoch's Politics: How One Man's Thirst For Wealth and Power Shapes our World
The Marlowe Papers
The Real Iron Lady: Working with Margaret Thatcher
The Teleportation Accident by Ned Beauman
The Theory That Would Not Die: How Bayes' Rule Cracked the Enigma Code, Hunted Down Russian Submarines, and Emerged Triumphant from by Sharon Bertsch Mcgrayne
Hubris: How HBOS Wrecked the Best Bank in Britain by Ray Perman
Bull by the Horns: Fighting to Save Main Street from Wall Street and Wall Street from Itself by Sheila Bair
Oranges and Lemons: Rhymes from Past Times
The Secret History of Our Streets: London
In the Blood: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #1
Ever the Diplomat: Confessions of a Foreign Office Mandarin
Bad Angels by Rebecca Chance
Mr Foote's Other Leg: Comedy, tragedy and murder in Georgian London by Ian Kelly
Havisham by Ronald Frame
How to Find Out Anything: From Extreme Google Searches to Scouring Government Documents, a Guide to Uncovering Anything about Everyone and Everything
That'll be the Day : 365 F1 Stories (Part 1)
The London Cabbie: A Life's Knowledge by Alf Townsend
Map Addict: A Tale of Obsession, Fudge & the Ordnance Survey by Mike Parker
The Magician's Tale by David Hunt
Press Send by John McLaren
Map of a Nation: A Biography of the Ordnance Survey
King of the Badgers

hmph; it's getting quite long..and that excludes stuff I've bought already :(

Jakeyyy
28 Jul 2013, 12:13 AM
I think you read too much. ;)

It should be about television :(

Samantha78
28 Jul 2013, 12:15 AM
You could create a separate TV thread? :p

and I think the point is I don't read enough or the wish list would be shorter lol...or rather I read too much for work..so don't read enough the rest of the time

septimus ii
28 Jul 2013, 12:18 AM
The TV series is good too - i've watched the first season so far.

My favourite character to read about is probably Tyrion or Arya. My actual favourite person is almost any of the starks, or maybe Dany.

wgn
12 Aug 2013, 10:47 PM
Storm Front - Jim Butcher
Fool Moon - Jim Butcher
Grave Peril - Jim Butcher

Patrick Rothfuss is quoted as saying the above guy is one of his favourite authors who 'could be my evil twin'... I have to agree with him.

wgn
18 Aug 2013, 04:23 PM
Summer Knight - Jim Butcher
Death Masks - Jim Butcher
Blood Rites - Jim Butcher

Going to have to find someone else to read so I can have a breather... So many more in the series to get through...

Samantha78
18 Aug 2013, 08:40 PM
91% through on GoT :oops:

HBowsher
22 Aug 2013, 08:34 PM
GoT Book 3. :)

septimus ii
27 Aug 2013, 09:02 AM
Maximum Ride. I forgot how much of a page-turner those books were.

wgn
29 Aug 2013, 12:09 AM
Dead Beat - Jim Butcher
Proven Guilty - Jim Butcher
White Night - Jim Butcher
Small Favor - Jim Butcher

I attempted to break up the Jim Butcher spree with another book but I had to give up after the first chapter. Five more books to go and then I'm up to date I think.

mercy
01 Sep 2013, 10:35 AM
My daughter loves the Maximum Ride books, she has the comic strip versions too.

I'm looking possibly at Jim Butcher for my next reading marathon, any good? Just had a total Vampire binge, read all the True Blood series, all of the Joe Pitt series (which were brilliant) and all the Mercy Thompson books, now wading through Anita Blake.

Samantha78
01 Sep 2013, 02:10 PM
Finally, finally, finally, finished Game of Thrones

Went through Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch in a few days (which was superb as usual - hybrid of magic and the met).

And before catching up with Pratchett's recent Long Earth book, I'm taking a quick diversion into chick lit (Revenge wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger)

wgn
01 Sep 2013, 04:24 PM
@mercy - They are fantastic books and defiantly worth ago. Set in modern Chicago, the story follows a detective who just happens to be a wizard, giving you the perfect combination of crime/thriller/fantasy. The series is told in a first person narrative which could make it more appealing to men (as you live through Dresdens eyes when you read the books = you are Dresden), although I doubt it makes much difference as it has never bothered me in the past when the roles have been reversed. As such, Jim doesn't shy away from sex or attraction like many other fantasy authors do and manages to describe it in a boyish way without seeming crass, instead just adding to the personality of the lead.

wow, reading the above back sure does make me sound boring...

mercy
01 Sep 2013, 05:17 PM
they sound great, I will give them a go. Getting a bit tired of strong but still feminine vampire bashing heroines now. You should try Joe Pitt; very, very different from your average vampire story. Set in New York and with a lot of gang culture and mafia background, they are gritty, violent but really gripping. A bit Orwellian in the fact that the hero is more of an anti-hero. There aren't really any nice people in it, but it doesn't stop you liking them somehow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Pitt_Casebooks

@ Sam, you never finish GoT, you merely wait in desperate anticipation for the next one.

wgn
13 Sep 2013, 07:30 PM
Turn Coat - Jim Butcher
Changes - Jim Butcher
Ghost Story - Jim Butcher
Cold Days - Jim Butcher

UP TO DATE!!! woot woot

NightLock.
13 Sep 2013, 09:14 PM
Under the Dome by Stephen King.

Pleasant surprise to find that it is quite different from the TV series. So far I wouldn't say it is better or worse... just different.

Oscillator
13 Sep 2013, 11:39 PM
If anyone ever gets the chance the mazerunner series, really quirky and the plot twists are so unexpected even by the third book!! And kaya scodelerio is in the film <3

PinkFairyKing
14 Sep 2013, 11:48 AM
Under the Dome by Stephen King.

Pleasant surprise to find that it is quite different from the TV series. So far I wouldn't say it is better or worse... just different.

Snap. How far in are you? Im about 50 pages in.

NightLock.
14 Sep 2013, 02:10 PM
Snap. How far in are you? Im about 50 pages in.

Just passed 100 pages. Good read so far.

Fabrestuta
15 Sep 2013, 08:49 PM
Terry Pratchett - Snuff. A couple of years old but I had drifted away from fiction for a while.

wgn
20 Sep 2013, 10:54 PM
Crown of Midnight - Sarah J Maas
Ends and Means - Aldous Huxley

wgn
15 Oct 2013, 06:07 PM
David Copperfield - Charles Dickens

Found this book hiding in the attic library. Looks like its been hiding there since the year it was printed (1895).

Samantha78
15 Oct 2013, 08:32 PM
The new Bridget Jones :oops: (tho I should mention that Robert Harris' new book, Officer and a Spy was superb :) )

wgn
19 Oct 2013, 07:00 PM
The Ruins of Gorlan - John Flanagan

Devoured this book in a single sitting. Not caused by the book being short mind you; it was simply so good I couldn't put it down. Whats more, there are 12 books in the Ranger's Apprentice series that the book is part of so I'm going to be on yet another reading marathon. :)

Samantha78
19 Oct 2013, 07:09 PM
Bridget jones is done :x hmmm possibly overdue for pratchett now

Jezvslexx
19 Oct 2013, 11:20 PM
The currently reading thread ;), I hope no one else have said that, I'll look stupid.

I'm reading Robert Browning poems at the moment.

wgn
20 Oct 2013, 03:53 AM
The Burning Bridge - John Flanagan

I did actually have a small hour or two break since the last post before starting this one. :P I can finally sleep now...

wgn
21 Oct 2013, 04:16 PM
The Icebound Land - John Flanagan

wgn
22 Oct 2013, 10:45 PM
Oakleaf Bearers - John Flanagan

The next book begins 5 years after the above one so I think its time for a short break.

PinkFairyKing
22 Oct 2013, 10:48 PM
You read unbelievably fast...

Floki
27 Oct 2013, 05:29 AM
10 deep into Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, a bit repetitive but definitely an entertaining read.

wgn
06 Nov 2013, 11:42 PM
The Sorcerer in the North - John Flanagan

justcheckin
07 Nov 2013, 12:37 AM
Trying to start reading the Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas but I keep getting distracted by catching up with Breaking Bad and playing GTAV.

NOBODY TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS IN BREAKING BAD! I WILL END YOU!

wgn
10 Nov 2013, 12:55 PM
Black Friday - Robert Muchamore

Zippy5
11 Nov 2013, 11:34 AM
Game Of thrones series - Very good read so far, waiting to finish the books before watching the TV series

wgn
12 Nov 2013, 07:20 PM
Divergent - Veronica Roth

wgn
24 Nov 2013, 12:44 PM
Higher Institute of Villainous Education (H.I.V.E.,#1) - Mark Walden

The Overlord Protocol (H.I.V.E.,#2) - Mark Walden

wgn
27 Nov 2013, 11:24 PM
Escape Velocity (H.I.V.E.,#3) - Mark Walden

wgn
01 Dec 2013, 11:07 AM
Dreadnought (H.I.V.E.,#4) - Mark Walden

wgn
01 Dec 2013, 06:34 PM
Rogue (H.I.V.E.,#5) - Mark Walden

wgn
02 Dec 2013, 11:47 AM
Zero Hour (H.I.V.E.,#6) - Mark Walden

wgn
06 Dec 2013, 12:38 AM
Aftershock (H.I.V.E.,#7) - Mark Walden
Deadlock (H.I.V.E.,#8 ) - Mark Walden

james22
06 Dec 2013, 02:11 AM
On a little bit of a run are we :P
Re-reading Brisingr - Christopher Paolini

septimus ii
09 Dec 2013, 04:48 PM
Aftershock (H.I.V.E.,#7) - Mark Walden
Deadlock (H.I.V.E.,#8 ) - Mark Walden

On a little bit of a run are we :P
Re-reading Brisingr - Christopher Paolini

I love you both :D

septimus ii
30 Dec 2013, 02:27 PM
wgn, you've set me off now :P Finished the first HIVE book early saturday morning and the second one this morning

wgn
31 Dec 2013, 02:05 AM
Haha, they are like someone wrote your wildest daydream.

The Testing - Joelle Charbonneau

^ Bit of a copy of The Hunger Games, but putting the lack of originality aside I still found it enjoyable.

james22
31 Dec 2013, 04:08 AM
I love you both :D

I always suspected you did :D

Got a couple of the Jack Reacher novels from Christmas, middle of the second atm :D

mercy
04 Jan 2014, 08:40 AM
Finally finished the Anita Blake series which got progressively worse with each book, but since I started I was determined to finish! Now going to do a quick rerun of the Hobbit while I decide what to read next. I may go for that series you suggested a while ago wgn.

wgn
04 Jan 2014, 08:43 AM
Dresden Files or The Kingkiller Trilogy?

I got the first from the latter and love them both. The first is in my top 3 authors, but the latter is in my top 3 books. 3 being used very loosely, (I have a lot of them).

mercy
04 Jan 2014, 08:59 AM
who is the author again? I'll see if I have them in my kindle books

Edit - found them

So start with the Harry Dresden?

wgn
04 Jan 2014, 09:44 AM
Your call, from what you've read it sounds like the Dresden Files will be right up your street, but the Kingkiller trilogy is something special.

septimus ii
05 Jan 2014, 02:22 AM
Onto the 6th HIVE book now, and looking like finishing it tonight :D

septimus ii
11 Jan 2014, 05:22 AM
Just finished the first Hunger Games book. I read it (but not the rest of the series) years ago, but I forgot just how hard-hitting it is. The film pales in comparison!

wgn
11 Jan 2014, 07:32 AM
Magician (The Riftwar saga) - Raymond E. Feist *Edit* - Apparently this was two books, Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. Thought it was long...

Silverthorn (The Riftwar saga) - Raymond E. Feist

Keiji_Maeda
11 Jan 2014, 08:21 PM
Raising Steam - Terry Pratchett.

Still wonderfully cynical and serious.

wgn
13 Jan 2014, 11:03 PM
A Darkness at Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga) - Raymond E. Feist

Hawkery
15 Jan 2014, 04:37 AM
Just finished the first Hunger Games book. I read it (but not the rest of the series) years ago, but I forgot just how hard-hitting it is. The film pales in comparison!

I'm reading the first HG now too. After watching the second one in the movies I couldn't wait for the 3rd to come out on film so got the trilogy. Even more eager to pick it up again now!

kabooja
05 Feb 2014, 02:54 AM
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

mercy
14 May 2014, 09:06 PM
Wgn, I finally started the Jim Butchers I found on my kindle, not the Dresden files, I'm deep in the first of the Alera Codex? And completely and totally gripped already.

wgn
14 May 2014, 09:51 PM
I haven't read the Codex Alera books yet but have heard they are just as good as The Dresden Files. On goodreads the series is actually rated higher at 4.28 compared with Dresdens 4.26, although the ratio of vote numbers is 1:4.

PFK has I believe just started the first Dresden book. Codex Alera is defiantly a series I intend to read.

PinkFairyKing
14 May 2014, 10:57 PM
PFK has I believe just started the first Dresden book.

Correct... Im only about 30 pages in at the moment though. Im planning on getting through a lot at the weekend.

mercy
16 May 2014, 07:37 PM
I nearly finished the first book of the Codex Alera, can't put it down. If time was my own I would be on the fifth at least by now. I read the review about where he got his inspiration from. Two lame ideas to be woven into a story, the lost legion and pokemon. The one film I watched about the lost legion was also brilliant (The Eagle). Lame, my rear end.

wgn
17 May 2014, 06:24 PM
Daughter of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy) - Raymond E. Feist & Janny Wurts

Dreams of Gods and Monsters - Laini Taylor

Pandora's Star - Peter F. Hamilton

Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy) - Raymond E. Feist & Janny Wurts

& several rereads.

wgn
28 May 2014, 11:13 PM
Skin Game - Jim Butcher

Stevieus
29 May 2014, 11:13 PM
Don Quixote.

I'd been wanting to read it for a long time. But I rarely manage to get enough time away from procrastinating to read.
It's taken me about six weeks to get three quarters of the way through...

justcheckin
30 May 2014, 12:15 AM
'20 years after'

The sequel to The Three Muskateers from Alexander Dumas.

Definitely not as good as the first book but a decent read. I was going to read '10 years later' after this but might give it a miss and try some other stuff. I may return to it.

Samantha78
30 May 2014, 12:22 AM
Three most recent books are:
The Politics of Washing - Real Life in Venice
Strange Air (which I think wgn and others might like)
Schrodinger's Caterpillar - strange but amusing

Think the last two are essentially self-published (or certainly ebook only - but pretty good)

wgn
31 May 2014, 12:44 AM
Do you have a link?

Samantha78
31 May 2014, 01:13 AM
-_- amazon :p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strange-underground-railway-fantasy-events-ebook/dp/B00DPK6C18/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401495012&sr=8-1&keywords=strange+air
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schrödingers-Caterpillar-Zane-Stumpo-ebook/dp/B00A3X2JZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401495139&sr=8-1&keywords=schrodingers+caterpillar

mercy
08 Jun 2014, 09:12 AM
Finished the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher and now feeling bereft. Think I will start the Dresden Files next.

There were a few in the Musketeers series, I seem to remember reading "Son of Porthos". I definitely enjoyed the Vicomte de Bragelonne. There was some dispute about how much of the books he actually wrote. Apparently Dumas had a team of scribes and would pace about making up his stories while they feverishly wrote them down. Some of the books are believed to have been written by his scribes rather than Dumas himself.

justcheckin
08 Jun 2014, 09:56 AM
Finished the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher and now feeling bereft. Think I will start the Dresden Files next.

There were a few in the Musketeers series, I seem to remember reading "Son of Porthos". I definitely enjoyed the Vicomte de Bragelonne. There was some dispute about how much of the books he actually wrote. Apparently Dumas had a team of scribes and would pace about making up his stories while they feverishly wrote them down. Some of the books are believed to have been written by his scribes rather than Dumas himself.

Wow really? Now that is interesting. I wasn't aware there were more than the ones I had outlined plus The man in the Iron Mask. I think I may need to re-evaluate!

mercy
08 Jun 2014, 01:19 PM
Don't take my word for it though, it must be nearly 30 years since I read them and things get fuzzy with old age.

Now well into the first of the Dresden Files and hooked.

roadrunnerx
09 Jun 2014, 09:15 PM
'I am Zlatan Ibrahimovic'

For a footballers autobiography it's fantastic, he doesn't hold back and is brutally honest. A real insight to the happens at some of the worlds top teams. Half way through and can't seem to put the book down.

HBowsher
11 Jun 2014, 05:21 PM
Might have to re-read the Game of Thrones books, not sure i know 100% of it yet, although im not sure that is possible :D

Gridy100
11 Jun 2014, 08:48 PM
Lots and lots of: texts, bbms, tweets, emails and WvV skype spam :P

mercy
11 Jun 2014, 10:06 PM
It doesn't count if we can't read them too!

septimus ii
12 Jun 2014, 01:47 AM
Especially WvV spam

Eternaluk
14 Jun 2014, 01:30 AM
Currently reading the "Final Empire" trilogy by Bradon Sanderson.. Not read a book that wasn't educational in years!..

Gridy100
20 Jun 2014, 09:13 PM
Know it's a chick flick but I'm trying to get The Fault In Our Stars done by tomorrow bcos I'm watching it tomorrow with a special someone ;) and apparently it's really sad and there's no way that I'm crying in the cinema in frount of her so yeah. Trying to get that done by tomorrow :D

mercy
22 Jun 2014, 09:47 AM
I had that recommended to me too, but thought soppy love story, maybe not. I would be interested to hear what you think.

PinkFairyKing
22 Jun 2014, 06:28 PM
Is it not one of those books / films with a really obvious ending?