PDA

View Full Version : Newb to Master Guide: Attacks

Lord Norchard
16 May 2010, 07:36 PM
Newb to Master Guide: Attacks

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae110/LordNorch/Travian%20Guide%20Pictures/TreasureChamber.png

Introduction
This guide is designed on getting new players to understand all aspects of attacks in Travian, as we all came to this game knowing nothing, some with more help than others, and although many may think it is pointless me writing this guide, I think it is needed, as a lot of new players will not understand everything about attacks properly, and through me mentoring a couple of players now, I know the common mistakes. This guide will take the reader to understanding the basic concepts to knowing everything about attacks and understanding it. Because it covers so much information, it will be very long, but if your new you will know a lot more at the end.

Incomings
This is the sort of attack you should be worried about. When someone is attacking you, you will have this flashing on your Village Overview:

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae110/LordNorch/Travian%20Guide%20Pictures/TravianAttackOne.png

The timer will countdown until it reaches 00:00:00 when the incoming troops will arrive at your village and do their function (explained later on).

Different Types of Attack
In Travian there are two different types of attacks, raids and attacks, when you send troops to another village these will appear as Attack: Raid, and Attack: Normal, as shown below:

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae110/LordNorch/Travian%20Guide%20Pictures/TravianRallyPointScreenshot.png

There is another button at the top, this is "Reinforcement". But I will explain that later on in the guide.

So your probably wondering, what is the difference between a normal attack, and a raid? The difference is that a raid will focus on collecting unprotected resources from the village's warehouse, and a normal attack is used for catapults and chiefings (again, I will go into these later on in the guide). If you have an attack normal incoming, this will probably mean you should ask your alliance for reinforcements. In a normal attack, one side will always lose all of its troops, so when launching normal attacks, it is important to make an informed decision.

So another question that might be lingering in your mind, how can I tell if I have a raid or an attack incoming? Well, its easy. Go to your rally point, and you will see one or the other of these screenshots:

Normal Attack:
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae110/LordNorch/Travian%20Guide%20Pictures/TravianRallyPointScreenshot2.png

Raid:
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae110/LordNorch/Travian%20Guide%20Pictures/TravianRallyPointScreenshot3.png

If it says at the top of the box "Attack on (your village name)" it means that they are launching a normal attack on you. But if it says "Raid on (your village name)" then it means they are simply attacking you for resources.

NOTE: The only reason there is a number under the mace symbol is because I attacked my own village to get the screenshot, unless you do the same, it will come up with "??".

If you have read and understood the guide so far, you now know everything about attacks on yourself. But what about you attacking others?

Well, there isn't much different really, but the writing on your village overview giving you the timer will be different, here is another screenshot:

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae110/LordNorch/Travian%20Guide%20Pictures/TravianAttackOut.png

The only difference, and its obvious, is that the writing is yellow. As for whether what you have sent out is an attack or a raid, it works the same as incoming attacks (displayed as "Attack on (village name)" or "Raid on (village name)")

NOTE: Never attack with only one troop, as it will simply die.

Knowing Which Type to Use
When you are looking for resources, you should click raid when sending troops, this is basically how a thief works, go around the back door, take everything run off, losses when using this form of attack will be a lot lower than using "Attack: Normal".

BUT, sometimes, you have no choice but to use "Attack: Normal", when chiefing or catapulting a village (information on which is included in the guide) you must use "Attack: Normal". Sending them on a raid will do nothing. So, when using administrators or catapults, click the "Attack: Normal button. Also, if you seek to clear a farm, then it is wise to use Attack: Normal as it will clear more troops, IF you know how many troops they have and if you can win...

Scouting
Scouting is how you learn about your enemy, Scouts are called different things in Travian, for Romans they are called Equites Legati, for Gauls they are called Pathfinders, and for Teutons they are Scouts, Equites Legatis and Pathfinders are trained in a stable, and Teutons train their Scouts in the barracks.

To scout, you simply need scouts, and need to send them on an attack or a raid (it doesn't matter whatsoever) to the village, and choose whether you want to find out how many resources and troops the enemy has (useful for knowing when to attack a village for resources) or if you want to find out what defences and troops a village has (important if you want to catapult or chief a village) when they get there, if your scouts outnumber the enemy defending scouts, you will recieve a report containing the selected facts that you chose that apply to the enemy village. Using this information, you can now calculate whether it is worth attacking by using the Combat Simulator.

Combat Simulator?
In the Rally Point there will be a tab at the top called "Combat Simulator", this is useful for knowing if you will win a battle. When you have clicked it, this is the first box that you will have to fill in:

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae110/LordNorch/Travian%20Guide%20Pictures/CombatSimulator.png

Under the attack column, click the tribe that YOU are. Under the defender column, input the tribes that stand against you (when you scout you may recieve up to three boxes, one containing Gaul, one containing Teuton, one containing Roman troops, you will know by the troop types, so, input which tribes there are in the defending village and then you will need to select the battle type (This is the raid or attack that I have already been over). When you are done, click Ok.

Notice also that there is a tribe called "Nature", this is used when you are clearing unoccupied oases.

Here is the next screen:

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae110/LordNorch/Travian%20Guide%20Pictures/CombatSimulator2.png

Now, on the left, you have a box containing your tribes troop types, on the right, you have the opposing village's tribe(s), input as much information as you can to get the most accurate result. When you have put in everything you have got, click Ok.

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae110/LordNorch/Travian%20Guide%20Pictures/CombatSimulator3.png

Displayed on this screen will be the result of the combat simulation, and you can now make a more informed decision on whether to attack a village or not.

Traps
These are the bane of any attacker, during your raiding activities you may come across a battle report where instead of the bottom line being "Casualties" it will say "Prisoners", this means that your troops have been trapped in the enemy village, and unless you want them back, you will either have to pay a ransom, or send a normal attack at them where your troops will win the battle.

Reinforcing
Speaks for itself, if someone in your alliance is under attack, leaders will call for defence to the village, this is when you use this button.

When you are reinforcing another alliance member, YOU will have to help supply wheat for the troops, everyone will have to do this, otherwise the troops will starve (die) and the defence will all be for nothing.

Troop Types
Different troops are better at different things, some are the best in a tribe at attacking, and some are better as defenders. Below, I have listed which troops fit into which category:

Offensive
Clubswinger (Maceman)
Axeman
Imperian
Swordsman
Haeduan
Theutates Thunder
Teutonic Knight
Equites Imperatoris
Equites Caesaris

Generalist
Legionnaire

Defensive
Paladin
Spearman
Praetorian
Phalanx
Druidrider

This is what these troops are designed for, so its best to use them in a battle situation that is appropriate, sometimes players will mix different troop types in the same village, but as a beginner with knowledge but without experience, it is best not to do this.

Heroes
Heroes are a requirement for the conquest of Oases, and by killing troops with an army alongside your hero, you will be able to adjust its statistics in the Heroes Mansion, you can give him offensive bonus, defensive bonus, give the hero unit itself more attack points, and more defensive points as well as regeneration for health.

Its important to give your hero some regeneration, otherwise, if your hero gets scarred in battle, he will never recover one tiny bit!

Every level you will be able to improve the statistics of your hero more.

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae110/LordNorch/Travian%20Guide%20Pictures/Catapult.png

Catapults
Targeting with catapults is easy, first of all, you must make sure you have sent them on a normal attack, and then, you will get the targeting screen:

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae110/LordNorch/Travian%20Guide%20Pictures/Catapulting.png

Everyone loves catapults, but there is a right way and a wrong way, the wrong way is to randomly catapult every non-ally you can find, but by following certain tactics you can use them to dominate your area.

One of the major uses of catapults is to crop-lock, this means that you get them into negative wheat so they can never ever get back out of it without asking somebody else for help.

To crop lock someone, destroy the following buildings:

Main Building
ALL of the Wheat Fields
Marketplace
Flour Mill
Bakery

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae110/LordNorch/Travian%20Guide%20Pictures/Senator.png
Administrators
These units are among the most useful to any Travian player, it will allow you to conquer villages. For Romans, the administrator is called a Senator, for Gauls, it is the Chieftain, for Teutons, it is the Chief. Conquering is more often known as "Chiefing". To chief a village it normally requires six attacks containing a chief. Before loyalty starts getting lowered the Residence/Palace must have been destroyed, and the village CANNOT be a capital (checked by going to the player profile). More advanced players will create six chiefs across their villages and and set them to land within seconds of each other, this is normally against larger players who may know how to cut waves. If you are going to chief an inactive, then you don't really need to do this.

Waves
These are done by making tabs in your Internet browser, copy and paste the link from a village you want to attack (rally point view) enter troop figures, and everything else that needs doing, and go from tab to tab and launch the attacks, they will most likely land within 2 seconds if you have done it right, if you really want to be clever, then you can launch attacks from the same village on the same second, this is explained by dragon115 here (http://archive.forum.travian.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40058).

This is the end of the guide, if anyone has suggestions on how to improve it, please post in here, as it would be good to get another guide in the main section :), also, this guide I am struggling to find related pictures to make the guide look more presentable, please could you give advice on this as well.

Mouse-Keyboard
16 May 2010, 07:42 PM
You should explain reinforcements better e.g. Who feeds the troops, split hero exp/bonuses etc.

You also haven't included what troop types should be used for what.

Lord Norchard
16 May 2010, 07:52 PM
You should explain reinforcements better e.g. Who feeds the troops, split hero exp/bonuses etc.

Ok

You also haven't included what troop types should be used for what.

I don't understand what you mean by this

10 characters

Mouse-Keyboard
16 May 2010, 07:53 PM
10 characters

I mean you should explain not to do things like attack with spears, defend with imps etc...

1. This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 2 seconds.

Celtic_Max
16 May 2010, 07:54 PM
Good newb guide, a hero section would bump this up a little. :)

Great work <3

SummerMcLovin
16 May 2010, 07:55 PM
A reasonably good guide, but you could have explained some things a bit more:

As suggested already, more info on reinforcements would be useful.

The difference between attacking and raiding could be in more detail i.e. one army will die completely in an attack.

Traps should be mentioned somewhere, as only a normal attack will free prisoners.

Heroes should be mentioned somewhere.

I think that M-K was trying to suggest raiding with fast units, attacking with powerful and/or huge amounts of troops.

EDIT: Or just going to the grass roots of real noobiness: attack with offensive; defend with defensive :rolleyes:

Mouse-Keyboard
16 May 2010, 07:57 PM
I think that M-K was trying to suggest raiding with fast units, attacking with powerful and/or huge amounts of troops.

EDIT: Or just going to the grass roots of real noobiness: attack with offensive; defend with defensive :rolleyes:

I was thinking of both.

1. This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 7 seconds.

SummerMcLovin
16 May 2010, 07:58 PM
I was thinking of both.

Ok, just making sure.

Lord Norchard
16 May 2010, 08:34 PM
Ok, I think I've added all those improvements, let me know if I haven't or if it can be improved more :)

SummerMcLovin
16 May 2010, 08:44 PM
Ok, I think I've added all those improvements, let me know if I haven't or if it can be improved more :)

Pretty good, although there are still a few more things to do:

No information on hero exp sharing, or how much for each troop.

You are being too final with "Never attack with defensive troops, and never defend with offensive troops", many players pad out their anvils with offensive troops and hammers with defensive troops.

wasp
16 May 2010, 08:46 PM
You are being too final with "Never attack with defensive troops, and never defend with offensive troops", many players pad out their anvils with offensive troops and hammers with defensive troops.

do they that would just be a waste of resource, wheat and time building spears, prets or phalanx in a hammer village or mace, imps or swords in a anvil for no real benefit you might as well build the right troop

SummerMcLovin
16 May 2010, 08:49 PM
do they that would just be a waste of resource, wheat and time building spears, prets or phalanx in a hammer village or mace, imps or swords in a anvil for no real benefit you might as well build the right troop

Sometimes they will have defence troops in their village, and will be able to cause more damage with more troops, as well as decrease the casualties of their offensive troops.

wasp
16 May 2010, 08:53 PM
Sometimes they will have defence troops in their village, and will be able to cause more damage with more troops, as well as decrease the casualties of their offensive troops.
well you would build defensive troops in another village and send them to reinforce that village maybe , but if you want to reduce losses on attack an extra mace would be better than a spear it would also be cheaper and take less time so it would just be a stupid thing to do as they would be wasting the most precious resource when hammer building, time

percy1993
16 May 2010, 10:06 PM
The guide was written for a new player and this shines through, it is written clearly and would enable a player to learn the basics of how to attack, i'm sure there is another guide which is more advanced once they got the hang of the basics.

I think anyone who constuctively critisises the guide must remember who it was intended for, rather than what you have learned what to do through experience.

Overall a good clear guide for new players

SummerMcLovin
16 May 2010, 10:16 PM
The guide was written for a new player and this shines through, it is written clearly and would enable a player to learn the basics of how to attack, i'm sure there is another guide which is more advanced once they got the hang of the basics.

I think anyone who constuctively critisises the guide must remember who it was intended for, rather than what you have learned what to do through experience.

Overall a good clear guide for new players

I know that hammer and anvil tactics will be a bit above the intended audience, but I was giving an example of using troops for alternate purposes than their intended.

Another example would be raiding farms with phalanx: a common tactic for offensive gauls early on. Pretty useful if they are defenceless. Offensive troops might be able to fend off these attacks, e.g. axemen.

wasp
16 May 2010, 10:34 PM
Another example would be raiding farms with phalanx: a common tactic for offensive gauls early on. Pretty useful if they are defenceless. Offensive troops might be able to fend off these attacks, e.g. axemen.

thats why when doing that you stick to low pop accounts ideally and they wouldn't be actively defending with axe it would be that they have been left in the village