PDA

View Full Version : Joe's Guide to Counter Attacking

ElementalGoDz
24 Nov 2010, 01:22 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------
Joe's Guide to Counter Attacking
-------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, oh! Incoming Attack, what do I do now?
http://i52.tinypic.com/5ffaew.jpg

This Guide Should be for a Troop with the same speed as yours
This can work with any Tribe aswell, for example Gaul, if your countering TT's using TT's, go ahead ;)
Can also be used for any Game Speed (1x/2x/3x/5x/10x) and so on

What is Counter Attacking?

Counter-Attacking is when you have an incoming attack, dodge it then hit them back 1 second after their troops arrive, sounds confusing? Yeah, it should, I will explain

Why do we Counter Attack and not just dodge?

You Counter Attack to kill your enemys troops, because if a neighbour is pestering you in the first 1-5 weeks and you want him to stop sending his troops to you, have an attempt at a counter that should teach him :), after that, start farming him to see your not a noob

Internet Connection

Most people's internet connections have a lag, about 1-2 second lag, if you are a skilled counter'er and have fast internet, you can counter in the same second the attack lands at your opponents home giving them no seconds to dodge, when sending a Counter-Attack you shouldn't have more than 1-4 seconds for them to dodge

Resource Spending

It is also ideal to spend all your resources, for example build 2 Buildings then NPC the rest for Troops or just NPC for Troops or just spend as much Resources before enemy attack hits

How do we know if it is the same unit

(I would recommend not countering a Gaul or Teuton, until you devolop)
As soon as you see an attack
[1] Note the tribe
[2] Note the timings

For example:

Me and my neighbour are both Teutons
I notice the attack lands in 8 minutes, and 30 seconds as soon as it was sent
so then I send 1 Clubswinger as an example
and do this with all units until you find out what unit they sent with
Then you find out they are attacking with Clubswingers and you have 113 at home

How do I Counter Attack?

Open up 3 Tabs:
● Tab 1 - Open the village of any random player
● Tab 2 - To see when the attack will hit
● Tab 3 - For the person your countering and click on the Map Square
My Target's Co-ordinate's at the moment will be (+23|+9)
http://i.imgur.com/M6Tt1.png

On Tab 1 will be used to dodge the attack; type in how much troops are at home/will be home when all Reins have returned that are before the Attack.

On Tab 2 you will be watching the timer; I usually

On Tab 3 click send Troops, type in how much troops are at home/will be when all Reins have returned that were before the Attack.

When there is 50 seconds left for the attack to hit send troops away to nearby farm on Tab 1 cancel when it is 25 seconds left for the attack, which will mean the troops will come home same second as opponents hit

Then on Tab 3 send Troops to the guy you are Countering

If you can manage to hit the enemy the same second there troops return it is called a snipe

A quick glance on what to do

http://i54.tinypic.com/s4xdtk.jpg

Enemy Troops hit at 6:30:00PM
Your Troops return at 6:30:00PM

Tab 1 - Send Troops to a nearby farm at 6:30:00 and return them at 6:30:30 meaning they will return home at 7:00:00
Tab 2 - Send returned Troops to hit the enemy at 7:00:00 or 7:00:01

Also there is a FF Add-On called FoxTab which lets you see one of your tabs and another tab in like a same tab

Incoming Troop Finder (http://www.gettertools.com/s1.travian.co.uk.3/37-Path-Speed-TS)

If you want to find out what your opponent is attacking you with, this calculator may be useful

Another Troop Calculator (http://www.gettertools.com/s1.travian.co.uk.3/31-Interception-calc.)

If you want to work out when to send Counter Attacks for incoming attacks which are not the same speed, for example, countering a mace clearance army with your Paladins/EI's/TT's

And there you have it
Hope you like the guide
If I have made any mistakes, please correct me
If you have any tips or improvements to add, let me know

The end results should look like this:
http://i56.tinypic.com/w70fp0.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/1z5jl0p.jpg

Risks on Counter-Attacking

Here are the risks, this can present to yourself at the same time.
As when troop numbers get higher than the Roman Troop Unit: EC (as a first example) has a decent Defencive structure and most Alliances would be willing to send Defence to take out an enemy hammer. (Which is often easy when someone follows home as few do it for fakes)
Though this is a great way to take out enemy armies it can be used against you.

Players should be aware of this:
Also mentioning the dangers of being even 2 or 3 seconds after they land as some can fully relocate in that time. And having a friendly player help you counter is alot easier than sending yourself to land on same second and out again.

And again many players can see Travel Speeds from External Websites as you said so could see TTs coming in and have a mass Spearman Reinforcement to wipe them out which will be very costly to any early dual.

However the players skilled enough to counter your counters are rarely found as enemies to this stage early on, or at least I haven't bumped Into them lol

Benefits of Countering Attacking on Same Second

It benefits you because it will be very hard for him to dodge then counter you back and all his troops to do

DisBenefits of Countering Attacking on Same Second

There isn't really any, except from if you do it on same second you might accidentally kill all your troops instead if you are doing by the same second

Benefits of Countering Attacking on a few seconds later

There isn't any unless the person who your Attacking is crap at dodging/countering is crap at countering or offline

DisBenefits of Countering Attacking on a few seconds later

Easy for them to counter you back meaning you have the chance of losing all your troops you are countering with

Thanks for Reading, Joe :)[/CENTER]

Yoink
24 Nov 2010, 01:40 AM
When there is 59 seconds left for the attack to hit send troops away to nearby farm on Tab 1 cancel when it is 29 seconds left for the attack, which will mean the troops will come home 1 second later than oppenents attack hit

Why not have troops return on exact second the attack does?

Eg.

Attack Lands 00:00:00

Set up tabs as you have done above.

but send troops away at 50 seconds until attack lands and recall on the 25th second, meaning your troops will arrive 00:00:00 but AFTER the attackers lands.

and use the 3rd tab to click send your counter at 00:00:00 (assuming traveltimes are the same)

You could include the following:

This (http://www.gettertools.com/s1.travian.co.uk.3/37-Path-Speed-TS) , so people can work out what incoming troop type it is.(even though all servers which started after the current uk1 tells you in the rallypoint if you hover over the trooptype).

Also this (http://www.gettertools.com/s1.travian.co.uk.3/31-Interception-calc.) so people can work out when to send counter attacks for incoming attacks which are not the same speed Eg Counting a mace clearance army with your paladins/Ei's/TT's

:tullia:

*edit*

Enemy Troops hit at 6:30:00PM
Your Troops return at 6:31:00PM

You want a whole minute gap?

ElementalGoDz
24 Nov 2010, 01:46 AM
Someone lock the thread please
Need to finish editing

You want a whole minute gap?

Thanks for noticing that, will now edit

Yoink
24 Nov 2010, 01:56 AM
haha! You've copied and pasted my fail :(

counting a mace clearance

ElementalGoDz
24 Nov 2010, 02:43 AM
haha! You've copied and pasted my fail :(

What do you mean?

Second Heartbeat
24 Nov 2010, 02:46 AM
What do you mean?

It should be countering, not counting.

Nice guide though :)

ElementalGoDz
24 Nov 2010, 02:50 AM
Has anybody got any idea's for improvements

notorious crunchie
24 Nov 2010, 04:21 AM
A nice guide,

the only thing I would mention is the risks this can present to yourself at the same time.
As when troop numbers get higher the roman EC (as a first example) has a decent defencive structure and most allianes would be willing to send defence to take out an enemy hammer. (which is often easy when someone follows home as few do it for fakes)
though this is a great way to take out enemy armies it can be used against you.
Players should be aware of this.

Also mentioning the dangers of being even 2 or 3 seconds after they land as some can fully relocate in that time. And having a friendly player helpyou counter is alot easier than sending yourself to land on same second and out again.

An again many players cab see travel speeds from external websites as you said so could see TTs coming in and have a mass spearman reinforcement to wipe them out which will be very costly to any early dual.

However the players skilled enough to counter your counters are rarely found as enemies to this stage early on, or at least I haven't bumped Into them lol

simcard
24 Nov 2010, 04:54 AM
Forgive the noobie question but what is a snipe?

Also if your troops land home the same time as attacker wouldn't they get wiped if not then why would you have your troops land the same time as his (or did I pick up on that wrong)

Cryos
24 Nov 2010, 05:06 AM
Forgive the noobie question but what is a snipe?

Also if your troops land home the same time as attacker wouldn't they get wiped if not then why would you have your troops land the same time as his (or did I pick up on that wrong)

When defense troops are inserted after a clear in order to kill catapult or chief waves is a snipe.

notorious crunchie
24 Nov 2010, 05:13 AM
A snipe is sliping your troops in on a second gap.

Eg an attack on you like:

attack in. 13:27:28
attack in. 13:27:28
reinfecement in. 13:27:28
attack in. 13:27:29
That would be sniping an attack.
As often the first wave will contain the bulk of their army(hammer) so you can prevent plenty of catapult damage as it's hard to have same seconds like that. Unless it been used in a diferent reference.

The reason landing on the same second is perfect depends.
As whoever sends the troops 1st lands 1st
(and 2nd lands 2nd and so on, down to the milo second)
this is a good thing to know for 'sniping' (as demonstrated above)
and is important when countering as players with great Internet connection only need a second or two to send their troops out again so you can't hit then

commander
24 Nov 2010, 05:50 PM
Was never called a snipe 'back in my day' :rolleyes:

Anyway, not a negative, just a point about the title. I believe you shouldn't put your name in the guide nowadays (as per the rules for posting guides). Just a heads up for any future ones. :idea:

I'm sure I read it somewhere anyway. :D

Alex50036
24 Nov 2010, 06:46 PM
nice guide I didn't see anything wrong but there was bit of editing!
Anyway great guide explains the process etc explains how it should be done, and a generally friendly and pleasant guide. (if you can call a guide friendly)

ElementalGoDz
27 Nov 2010, 11:35 AM
*bump*

Please don't just *bump* the thread. You can post and ask if anyone has any further comments on the guide if you'd like but not forever and ever :p

Jack
27 Nov 2010, 12:29 PM
nice header :P

ElementalGoDz
27 Nov 2010, 12:48 PM
Lulz :P .

Jack
28 Nov 2010, 09:48 PM
really though
you should incorporate that if you land on the same second it depends if you send before or after and how it helps etc etc

snofox
29 Nov 2010, 12:40 AM
Please don't just *bump* the thread. You can post and ask if anyone has any further comments on the guide if you'd like but not forever and ever :p

Isn't that what bumping is? Bringing it to the forefront of peoples attention so that they might comment on it ....
and once isn't forever and ever ;)

Jack
29 Nov 2010, 02:36 AM
yes, but if he says *bump* he shouldnt, he should ask, "does anyone have any comments?"

notorious crunchie
29 Nov 2010, 06:06 AM
But saying bump is alot more 'hip'

Cryos
29 Nov 2010, 06:12 AM
But saying bump is alot more 'hip'

Or you can go "I, Notorious Crunchie declare this thread bumped for hipness"

notorious crunchie
29 Nov 2010, 06:21 AM
Ooooohohoho I loveses it!!

Yeah pretend I said that