PDA

View Full Version : Newcomers guide to Travian

Cryos
23 Dec 2010, 05:45 AM
Hey-o

I know there are a few start up guides etc out there, but they all vary, so I thought I would post this one and see how others think it compares to the ones we already have in the forum
Guide for newcomers

I am making this little topic just to help you all take your decisions about the organization of your villages and the strategy you'll follow during the game. It is not a closed algorithm that you must follow at any costs; feel free to use, to not use or to change it as you wish.

~1st part

*Deciding the strategies and objectives.

First thing on this game is decide which will be your strategy. There are many: total offensive, total defensive, def/off mixed and their subdivisions (late offensive, midgame offensive, WW hammer builder, etc etc).

It's imperative to understand that your choice depends not only of your game style and your necessity of showing your abilities, but depends also of your available time, duals & sitters, plus & gold, the alliance you are in, your map location and your patience. This last one is the most important, imo. The tribe choice is discussable.

This tutorial focus in a mixed strategy with mid-late offensive with medium defensive skills and small farming activity for non-gold solo players.

*Starting the game and your locations

The best place on the map is closed to your friends. No matter if there are several oasis and croppers, if you are far from your friends it's impossible to stand longer.

Find your friends on the map and make your strongholds, clusters and dominate your area. If you have plenty of them in your 21*21 or even in your 35*35 then you have a good possibility of making the stronghold at your spawn. If not, go towards your friends locations and establish a new village; your friends must get their area cleared and safe before this.

"- OK! I have already found a good location near my friends. What shall I do now?"

Now it's time to chose the type of your second village and decide where will be your capital. An expert farmer will surely establish his second village in a 15 cropper and transform it in his capital. Indeed it's the best option - more crops, more troops.

In the other hand, a 15 cropper need hard supply of resources because it only produces crops. The expert farmer has no problem with that - he gets most of his resources from his attacks. He also uses gold, which help build things faster, he can easily build multiple support villages in a short space of time. I do not advice anyone to take a 15 cropper as capital if not in this previous conditions.

For a player with medium off skills, the best kind of village to make your capital is a 9 cropper. It is really the best option for non-experts farmers because it has a good resources production, instead of a lower crop fields count. It can feed your troops and give you a good resource production.

For defensive players, 6 croppers or 7 croppers are good choices as capitals, since defenses are mostly infantry and it consumes less crops. Each tribe have a better 6/7 cropper for defensive finality, i'll write about it later. Eventually you can steal a cropper from someone in the mid/endgame phase.

*How and where to build an army?

Not difficult to understand. Strong and big armies demands a huge supply of regular resources to be build, enough crop production to feed them, and, of course, lots of time/more resources to build the infrastructure needed to have the army. To get that amount of resources you need many supply villages and a enormous farming activity (this last is discussable).

The location of the army is one of the most important decisions you can meet in the game. Big armies indeed can only be built outside your capital, using great barracks and great stable, but this is not the target of this text. Also, many players, instead of having that single big army, they build 3 medium armies in diferent villages without GB and GS. This also is not the idea of this text.

For non gold non 24/7 players, the best location for having your main army is at the capital (better 9c). The capital is better because you can have the biggest crop/resources support for the army extending the field levels at maximum.

Now one of the things that differs noobs and good players, the composition of your army.

In the start game and the first weeks, you probably have several kinds of units in your capital. This is somewhat good because your capital is your biggest village and you need to do the def and off service at the same time.
When the game goes on, this kind of thing is a bad situation. Armies need organization, so DEF UNITS AND OFF MUST NOT BE BUILT IN THE SAME VILLAGE, in normal conditions (This usually end up beeing the case in your starter village).
Each village shall have their specialization: Farming villages, attack villages, defense villages, resources villages, NPC villages, etc etc. For now, let's just talk about attack/farming villages and its units.

*Best composition of an attack army:

1 Kind of Infantry + 1 Kind of Cavalry + Ram + Catas (+ Senators/chiefs/chieftains)

Romans: Infantry = Imperians; Cavalry = E. Caesaris
Gauls: Infantry = Swordman; Cavalry = Haeduan
Teutons: Infatry = Clubbie or Axeman; Cavalry = Teutonic Knight

*Best units to farm around:

Any offensive unit can be part of an farming army. The entire attack army can be also a farming army. By the way, the best farm units are not part of an attack army. To know:

Romans: E. Imperatoris
Gauls: Theutates Thunder
Teutons: Clubbie and Paladins

Most people usually don't have both farm and attack armies, as the attack army can works as both. Anyway, this kind of info was given only to help select the right units to do those jobs.

If you choose to build a farm army, it's nice to have a combination with enough storage support and market/trade office stuff. (this will be discussed later with the village settlement).
All attack units should have Blacksmith upgrades. All defence units should equally have armory upgrades.

How should an army looks like?

This is how some kinds of armies should look like. Consider all buildings are level 20 and are working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The total amount of troops refer to weekly production.
Romans
Roman: Off army w/o great buildings. (+ Horse drink building)

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/roman1.jpg

Roman: Off army with great buildings (+Horse drink building)

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/roman1.jpg

Roman: Farm army (+ Horse drink building // w/o great buildings, of course)
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/roman3.jpg

How not to build a roman army:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/roman4.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/roman5.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/roman6.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/roman7.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/roman8.jpg

...or any combination including praetorians (praetorians= defense against infantry) -
also I might add that legs, altho classified as off unit, work better as defence against cavalry then as offence troops

Teutons
Teutons: Off army - Axes - no great buildings.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/teuton1.jpg

Teutons: Off army - Axes - with great buildings.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/teuton2.jpg
Teutons: Off Army - Clubbies - no great buildings.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/teuton3.jpg

Teutons: Off Army - clubbies - with great buildings

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/teuton4.jpg

How not to build a Teuton army:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/teuton5.jpg

...or any combination including paladins/spears
Paladins = defense or raids
Spears = defense against cavalry

Gauls
Gaul: Off army - no great buildings.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/gaul1.jpg

Gaul: Off army - with great buildings.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/gaul2.jpg

How not to build a gaul off army:
Any combination with TTs or druidriders.
TTs = Raids
Druidriders = defenses

*Buildings and kinds of Villages - What should I build and demolish.

So, this is another important part of my tips to upgrade your skills in the game. Let's begin

As some of you have seen in this game, good players do some kind of specialization in their villages. (e.g. off villages, def villages, scout villages, NPC villages, support/resources villages, parking villages, etc...). The difference among those kinds of villages are the buildings you build there and the kind of troops you build there (obviously).

=====================================

Offensive Village - buildings:

Main Building Level 20
Rally Point Level 20
Barracks Level 20 (+Great Barracks Level 20, if possible)
Stable Level 20 (+Great Stable Level 20, if possible)
Workshop Level 20
TournamentSquare Level 20
Mansion
Academy level 20. Shall be demolished after you research senators/chiefs and the off troops you'll use.
TownHall Level 10+
Palace Level 20*
Granaries level 20 as many as you can. Build them in the slots of the demolished buildings.
2 Warehouses level 20. It's needed a third warehouse to build up the last level of the Tournament Square, but it's only need to upgrade the 3rd warehouse to the level 10, then you can demolish it after upgrade the Tournament Square.
Blacksmith Level 20. After you do all the research needed for the off troops demolish it.
Roman Horse Drinking Building Level 20.
A market. It is needed to control the crop incoming when you're in negative production

The Industrial buildings (Sawmill, iron foundry and brickyard) are not needed, so you can demolish it without regrets (I myself even don't build them). Cropmill and bakery can be included in this list... Remember the Off village should be always in negative crop production, because what really matters is the crop you send from other villages not the crop produced there.
* A Palace level 20 is needed to hold 2 or 3 chiefs/senators. It really helps when you are conquering a village. Explanation how to get it will be in next posts.

Defensive Village - Buildings:

Main Building Level 20
Rally Point level 15
Barracks Level 20
Stable Level 10 or 20*
Academy level 20. Shall be demolished after you research senators/chiefs and the def troops you'll use.
Armoury Level 20. Demolish it after all the def researches are done.
TownHall Level 10+
Tournment Square level 15+
Market Level 20 and Trade Office Level 10+**
Residence Level 20
Industrial buildings (Sawmill, iron foundry and brickyard) all level 5
CropMill and Bakery level 5
2 Warehouses Level 20
Granaries Level 20 as much as you can

A mansion can be added if you have any oases to take in the village radius. The Trade Office shall be built because eventually you'll flood in a kind of resource and can send them anywhere or put in the market.
*The Stable can be level 10 if you build only foot soldiers in the village. This level is required to build up the Trade Office. If you are gaul/teuton and want to build Horse soldiers you shall extend the stable to level 20. Roman horses are not so good to use as defenders.

*Which Kind of village shall I use for building defenses? This is a nice question...It can be aswered this way: check the resources needed to build a Praetorian.

Praetorian:
100 Wood
130 Clay
160 Iron

Now let's check a 5 iron classic village and it's production (3-4-5-6)

2250 wood per hour -- enough to queue 22.5 praetorians/hour
3000 clay per hour -- enough to queue ~23 praetorians/hour
3750 iron per hour -- enough to queue ~23 praetorians/hour

Based on this, the production of one hour can queue 22.5 praetorians in your barracks. The 24 hours production of that village is enough to book 540 praetorians. Adding a 5-Iron classic as support village for this defense village may help you booking 1090 praetorians/day, which would be near to the max production of a barracks in a single day.

The same can be used by the teuts with the 5-3-4-6 or the 4-3-4-7 villages for building spearmen and the gauls with the 4-5-3-6 or the 4-4-3-7 village to build phalanxes. All the resources that are over the necessitiy can be exchanged in the market or eventually sent to the off villages. Remember always to have the barracks running 24 hours a day and 7 days a week

Scouts villages use the same line of thought: 4-5-3-6 or 4-4-3-7 are good for roman scouts. 5-4-3-6 are good for gaulish and teutish scouts.

Support/Resources Village - Buildings:

Main Building Level 20
Rally Point Level 10 (to get chiefs)
Barracks level 3 to get academy, then demolish.
Academy level 20. Shall be demolished after you research senators/chiefs and a single horse unit you'll use as chief's scort.
Blacksmith level 3 to get Stable then demolish the blacksmith.
Stable level 10
TownHall Level 10+
Market level 20
Trade Office Level 15+
Residence level 20
At least 3 Warehouses level 20
At Least 3 Granaries level 20

This kind of village does not produces troops. It's only for production and storage of resources and storage of troops (from other villages). Basically you send the production to your main OFF village to help queue in the barracks/stable/WS. Mansion can be eventually builded if any good oasis are in its radius.

Those three kind of villages are the most necessary to play the game. Other kinds are mostly variations of those above.

To help you organize you account, let me show a good layout of how many of each kind you should have to be a medium player (15+ villages):

1 Off village
No kind in special if non-capital
9 cropper or 15 cropper if capital
1 Capital 7c, 9c or 15c if you the off village is non-capital
2 Def villages + 2 equal suppport villages for them
1 Scout village (optional)
8+ Support villages for the Off village (no kind in special)

The final look of your villages should be like this:
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/jaderpsantos/some%20stuff/roberthrx-1.jpg

*Building villages fast

1st step: put Granaries and Warehouses on level 11.
2nd step: put Main Building on Level 20
3rd step: Upgrade your resource fields to level max.
4th step: Build the residence to level 10, build the settlers and make a new village (and start 1st step in the new village)
5th step: build/upgrade whatever else you need.

How to get 3 chiefs in your off village

Game Start:
1st Step: Build a Palace in your spawn village. Upgrade it to level 10, build settlers and settle your 2nd village (A cropper that will be your capital)

2nd step: Don't make a residence in the second village. Upgrade the palace in your spawn to level 15, build your 3rd village (any kind of village, that will be your Off village)

3rd step: Don't build a residence in your 3rd village. Upgrade your palace in the spawn village to level 20. Make the settlers and Build your 4th village.

4th step: Demolish the palace in your spawn village and build it to level 1 in your second village. Make the 2nd village your new capital and demolish the palace again.

5th step: Build up the palace to level 20 in your 3rd village (Off village) and a residence level 20 in your 2nd village (New Capital).

6th Step: Build a residence level 10 in your 4th village and start making regular villages.

Remember to not settle any villages from your New Capital (2nd village) and your Off village (3rd village), so you can get full slots only for chiefs. From the residence level 20 you can get 2 chiefs and from the palace level 20 you can get 3 chiefs (total = 5 chiefs, enough to chief any village). This tutorial does not apply for players who do not farm in the game start - it may be something hard to get enough resources to build palace level 20 in the first month .

In the end-game:
If your capital has no more slots for new villages do this:
1) demolish the palace in your capital.
2) build a palace in another village without any slots used. Put it on level 20. Don't make it your capital!
3) Research chiefs
4) Build the 3 chiefs in the palace and use them as you wish

Edit:
I have just been made aware that I did use many terms you new comers might not understand, so here is a link to a Travian terms dictionary
The Travian Dictionary Project (http://sites.google.com/site/thetraviandictionaryproject/home/dictionary)

notorious crunchie
23 Dec 2010, 07:29 AM
For a guide or newcommers you've used alot of terms they are sure to not know

Cryos
23 Dec 2010, 07:34 AM
For a guide or newcommers you've used alot of terms they are sure to not know

Eh, good point. Lemme add something that hopefully makes it easier :S

Jack
23 Dec 2010, 09:08 AM
The images for with and without great buildings are the same.

Cryos
23 Dec 2010, 09:12 AM
The images for with and without great buildings are the same.

Sorry, I'm really sleepy and in my usual state of stupidness, but I dont see what you mean

/me facepalms self

Edit : Nevermind I see it now. Ugh I totally took the wrong files sigh

Purplejelly86
23 Dec 2010, 10:44 AM
Seem's like a wall of text to me, so put me off reading it a fair bit :(

justcheckin
23 Dec 2010, 01:23 PM
It looks like a really informative guide but as Amalgon said, it can be off putting to see that much text.

Perhaps it would have been better to split it up into a 3 or so posts. :)

Skepta
23 Dec 2010, 02:37 PM
I thought it was a good guide :)

Although I wouldn't say it is always bad to mix troops being built in an off village (ie mix mace and axe/EI and EC). Last round I'd often have to build EI in great stable because of a shortage of iron in queueing imps and ECs (and a lack of gold to use). Similarly, I think there's a point somewhere in the making of a teut hammer when it makes sense to switch from mace to axe (don't quote me on this, it's something I remember reading but can't find exactly where).

ElementalGoDz
23 Dec 2010, 03:12 PM
Nice Guide but it is just a bit messy if you know what I mean (img's) and there is no bland title

commander
23 Dec 2010, 07:28 PM
I thought it was a good guide :)

Although I wouldn't say it is always bad to mix troops being built in an off village (ie mix mace and axe/EI and EC). Last round I'd often have to build EI in great stable because of a shortage of iron in queueing imps and ECs (and a lack of gold to use). Similarly, I think there's a point somewhere in the making of a teut hammer when it makes sense to switch from mace to axe (don't quote me on this, it's something I remember reading but can't find exactly where).

Agree.

Building Axe/mace isn't wrong at all. Its a good compromise between attack/time and resource cost.

Similar story with EI/EC.

I would also tidy up a bit, some sleepy grammar (I've done it myself) and stuff like that.

badbrain
25 Dec 2010, 05:03 AM
Agree.

Building Axe/mace isn't wrong at all. Its a good compromise between attack/time and resource cost.

I would also tidy up a bit, some sleepy grammar (I've done it myself) and stuff like that.

Once again the oracle speaks, we are so lucky to have you on forum. fyi if you was on UKX Skepta would teach you more in game,than your patronising forum reply to him , as far is i know he doesn't speak english as a native language. However in game only one language counts...

best wishes to Skepta / Tobi , good luck on whatever server you play. Happy christmas

commander
25 Dec 2010, 06:12 PM
Learn to read bad man, I was agreeing with the point made by skepta. The tidying up point was directed at the OP.

Now run along to that pretend best attacking alliance of yours :D

gwilem
25 Dec 2010, 08:58 PM
A really great guide. Haven't played the game for a couple of years and this really helped me remember everything as well as bringing me up to date with new things that have emerged. Basically thank you.

Essence
26 Dec 2010, 04:10 PM
I think it would be easier split into separate posts for each section, with more titles and formatting.

Also I strongly disagree with your capital advice; a good deffer will have at least 200k defence, which isn't going to be fed by a 4446!

Cryos
28 Dec 2010, 12:00 AM
It looks like a really informative guide but as Amalgon said, it can be off putting to see that much text.

Perhaps it would have been better to split it up into a 3 or so posts. :)

Okie dokie, I will do that.

Agree.

I'm ashamed to see that. Remind me to sleep before posting :P

I think it would be easier split into separate posts for each section, with more titles and formatting.

Also I strongly disagree with your capital advice; a good deffer will have at least 200k defence, which isn't going to be fed by a 4446!

I think that is a rather debatable. As a deffer you tend to have a decent portion of your troops elsewhere so it is very possible to feed with a 4446. I have done it myself with little problems.

Cait
28 Dec 2010, 12:38 AM
Okie dokie, I will do that.

I'm ashamed to see that. Remind me to sleep before posting :P

I think that is a rather debatable. As a deffer you tend to have a decent portion of your troops elsewhere so it is very possible to feed with a 4446. I have done it myself with little problems.

It might be possible but its not optimum.
High gold using defence players will get the same benefits as off players from a 15c (because of the exponential increase in production in a capital with bakery, and flour mill boosting all the wheat fields)

Low gold using defence players at minimum would probably want a 9c unless they have a friendly person who will swap wheat for res with them till later one.

Once they have got lots of defence troops either will benefit from the wheat production in a 15c or 9c capital the same as an off player.

Basically anyone who is making lots of troops (whether off or defence) is going to need lots of wheat from midgame on (arguably more so for dedicated def players as they are less likely to have farming income)

Cait