Hand rearing

1. roz
    I've heard that in some zoos they hand rear big cats (at a young age). How many people think this is a good idea? I think it's kind of good, because then they will be less likely to attack humans, but they are wild animals... Opinions?
  2. Blueladybird
    That's a toughie.

I've worked as a vet nurse and know how important it is for any animal to be raised by a member of it's own species (preferably it's mother).

The practice of hand rearing is not something that should be taken lightly and in my mind should only be used as a last resort e.g. the mother cannot or will not feed the cub and there is no chance of a same species surrogate.

However, from a totally human and selfish point of view it's such an amazing experience to hand rear an animal, the special bond that you have with it is unparalleled.

It's swings and roundabouts for me on this subject but i still lean towards letting the mother rear the baby whenever possible. There's also no garuntee a big wild cat will remain tame if hand reared, they just have no natural fear of humans which in most cases makes them even more dangerous.