Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Forum General Guide

Default RPG Forum General Guide

ALL normal forum rules apply to threads in this section. RP threads should all be PG-13.

RP Forum moderator: Travian_Bard

--Topic in development--

§1(RP)
    What is Roleplay?
    The page linked below is just one of many such explanations.
    http://www.ufbs.co.uk/jason/roleplay/roleplay.html
    ...the key is to remember that it varies with the expectations of whoever is running the game and any games run on the Travian forums needs to be PG-13 (Thus in-line with the forum rules in general).

§1.2(RP)
    Further explanations...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play-by...e-playing_game
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia.org
    Message-board role-playing

Internet forums are the most common medium for Play-by-Post gaming. Some online forums provide benefits such as online dice rolling, character profiling and game history. Others emphasize the use of free-hand and the absence of dice and chance. Thanks to online forums, players can easily keep track of all aspects of the game, can see what is happening elsewhere and can re-read anything they have previously written. Many online services provide free game hosting for gamemasters.

In some message-board role-playing forums, dice rolls are made by the GMs either in real life or through a number generating program external to the role-playing message board. This relies heavily on trust from the players, but because the GM is not involved in the game there is no reason not to trust them.

Message-board role-playing is faster than play-by-email, but as all players can see all the posts there can possibly be problems on forums that do not support private messages. Sites like Proboards, Invisionfree and others of that sort are used for this. There can also be issues where multiple players respond to a post at once and contradict each other, requiring posts to either be edited or deleted. Sometimes the GMs will need to sort out such a situation when it occurs if an agreement cannot be reached by the players.

Some message boards allow members of any level of writing to join. These are usually called free-for-all, or beginner RPGs. A member who does not write long posts or use proper grammar may be referred to as a "n00b". Some sites are advanced, with a word minimum for every post. The word minimum usually falls between 200 to 800 words. Intermediate RPGs usually require two or three, sometimes more, paragraphs per post.
    §2(RP)
    Labels & Terminology
    There are many different labels for people at different skill levels, they aren’t really meant to put them down but they generally distinguish different kind of roleplayers so that people with higher standards can get more out of what they want to roleplay.

Illiterate Usually beginners, illiterates are known to use very generic list descriptions, for example...
    Name: mister so and so
    Eyes: Green
    Clothes: jeans and a green day shirt
    Etc.
    There are usually no depth or substance to these characters and the remainder of the roleplay is played out in one-liners. Usually illiterates have no regards for capitalization or ooc or grammar or spelling or basic roleplaying rules.

Semi-literate Usually have longer and more descriptive lists that really get into the character, sometimes a semi-literate might type out a paragraph or two about their character but it’s usually not very intriguing or well written information about their character. Grammar is more sharpened.

Literate Longer introductions and posts that have depth and description and are more like writing than basic information. Literates create more relatable and in-depth characters that a reader is interested in reading about, not just interacting with. The writing is more developed and the grammar is intact.

Advanced This is when someone writes a long, interesting, in-depth, creative introduction. The grammar is nearly perfect and the writing is well thought out and descriptive. The quality of the writing is just more developed.

BIC back in character, or in character. When the writer is writing in his or her persona, and interacting with other characters.

OOC out of character, when you are talking to other players as yourself not your character.

Mary / Gary Sue perfect characters. These are generally not permitted because it’s boring and doesn’t make for an interesting roleplay. Flaws and personalities are what make a better roleplaying and Mary / Gary’s are more common in illiterate and semi literate roleplays.

Powerplay controlling someone else’s character. This is not permitted—you are only allowed to control the actions of your own character. (Unless there is allowance for such made in the thread with the agreement of participants.)

Godmode creating unrealistic situations, or characters that can do anything. Example: a character that is a lightening fast super intelligent elf that can defeat anyone in combat.

N00b Someone who is considered illiterate and generally new to Roleplaying without a mentor.

Newbie Someone who is new to roleplaying, but is well on their way to becoming literate but still needs practice. They are often found in semi- literate roleplays.

NB: These are terms applicable to many other communities (But may not always hold true here), you may find that there are other labels/terms out there that apply to other situations/individuals or even two or three different names for the same thing... don't worry too much at the end of the day, treat other users with respect and you'll get along fine.

§3(RP)
    Travian RPG Etiquette
    -To be added-

§4(RP)
    Tagging Threads
    We encourage posters to tag the thread to make it easier to work out which topics are RP and which contain another creative endeavours, the three tags are: [Story] [RP] [Comic]

§4.2(RP)
    Classifying your RP
    Feel free to modify the [RP] tag in your topic to reflect the sort of RPer you are looking for, [RP-0] for beginner and up, [RP-Lit] for RPs with higher posting requirements & finally [RP-Adv] for RPs that demand a lot from participants.

§4.3(RP)
    Consider spreading a large RP into chaptered threads
    This is a handy way to archive as you go and provide easier back-reading as well as protecting older material. Feel free to adopt any chaptering method you like, examples include:
    [RP-adv] The Wings of Aurellion, Chapter One
    [RP-adv] The Wings of Aurellion [ch01]
    [RP-adv] The Wings of Aurellion I
    [RP-adv] The Wings of Aurellion (Part One)
    §5(RP)
    Travian RPG Links & Resources
    -To be added-
    Last edited by Taulphin; 01 Aug 2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: In the process of updating this bit by bit...

Topic opened for the discussion of etiquette.

§3(RP)
    Travian RPG Etiquette
    -To be added-
    This will help compile the above guidelines.
    The Four Taulphanic Tomes of Ill-Repute

The Poesy of Rage, The Chronicles of Weeping, The Unreadable Diary of Horse XVI
    and the Sol Invictus Edition of The Lulz That Ended Two Worlds.

Ok just a few big ones off the top of my head:

1. Keep it appropriate. This means keeping it PG in this case for UK travian forums (although some forums have diff age limits obviously). It can also mean the mood of the RP. Often people will try to add ridiculous things to an RP to try and add humour but this can ruin the roleplay for those who were taking it seriously.

2. Grammar and spelling. Some forums may not mind complete lack of editing, but I think it's good etiquette to take a few seconds to review what you've written.

3. Nothing naughty. Stick to the rules the OP has written (assuming they've written rules). Try not to control other people's characters without their permission, especially not big actions. Never kill their character or do something drastic to them without their permission.

4. Be descriptive. Ok this is slightly optional, but any good story or roleplay should have description or else it is simply boring and will lack depth.

5. Plan ahead. Even more optional, but keeping your fellow RPers infomed of what you're doing/going to do in little OOC segments can help it flow smoothly.

Anyway these are just a few, but please guys, add your own! I do not claim to be an expert, by all means correct what I've said or add your own etiquette rules

Deadly Aura

Not sure where this goes but, not "removing" or disabling other players' characters without their permission.

Travian Bard will be looking after you all specifically so if he wants to allow for certain OPs to limit numbers or other arrangements within specific RP threads then that will be up to him since it will be the source of any additional work he wants to put into the role.

Report post will work as normal but if you are angling for a less urgent RP related complaint/gripe then it is worth considering Travian Bard as your first point of contact. This goes for questions also.
    The Four Taulphanic Tomes of Ill-Repute

The Poesy of Rage, The Chronicles of Weeping, The Unreadable Diary of Horse XVI
    and the Sol Invictus Edition of The Lulz That Ended Two Worlds.

What about only posting on a rp if you want to join not to make rude comments ?

Clicky Clicky Clicky Clicky
    Desmond is the Travian Writer Champion!!!

On October the 3rd 2009, we, the members beat the MODS! on the Mods vs Members V.2 thread thanks to everyone who helped! On October the 17th 2009 at 11 o clock, we, the members beat the MODS! on the Mods vs Members V.2 thread thanks to everyone who helped!

Are warzone and Unifists vs Antifists threads coming back yet?

Save the world!

The new chapter of Unifists vs Antifists has arrived! Will you be a Blood Elf, a Human, an Ork, or just a plain elf? But, will you survive?
    Want to join the SAS and fight along side some of the finest tacticians and gunners this forum has ever seen? Click HERE to join the fast, creative roleplay that is...Mission SAS

Deadly Aura

Didn't you hear? They were accidentally deleted. morgz re-created Uni vs Anti and Desmond is meant to be recreating warzone.

jantozaz

meant to be. By the way, isn't 'Blood Elves, Elves, Orcs and a smattering of humans' a bit of an odd, long and pointless title.

As to the regards to etiquette, Do not create pointless arguments and suchlike as they clutter up threads for no reason.

Hey guys, normally I like to be pretty lenient about your borderline spam, but this is a sticky thread so let's try and keep it clean shall we? I'm thinking of opening a discussion thread, for people to discuss anything, for example proposing a new RP idea and seeing if anyone is interested. Would this thread work do you think?

Anyway try and stay on topic

Senior Gaul MemberSenior Gaul MemberSenior Gaul Member

Quote Originally Posted by Travian_Bard View Post
    Hey guys, normally I like to be pretty lenient about your borderline spam, but this is a sticky thread so let's try and keep it clean shall we? I'm thinking of opening a discussion thread, for people to discuss anything, for example proposing a new RP idea and seeing if anyone is interested. Would this thread work do you think?

Anyway try and stay on topic
    Sorry T_B but yer sounds like a good idea. REmember to lock my thread and delete all uneccesary posts, that includes mine. Oh and post in chapter II. ( see i used one of the rpg guides suggestions

1. Sorry 2. That thread sounds like a great idea

Save the world!

The new chapter of Unifists vs Antifists has arrived! Will you be a Blood Elf, a Human, an Ork, or just a plain elf? But, will you survive?
    Want to join the SAS and fight along side some of the finest tacticians and gunners this forum has ever seen? Click HERE to join the fast, creative roleplay that is...Mission SAS

jantozaz

Another thing. Read this thread by an old member who sounds a bit like DA... RP Tutorial Thread It gives you a lesson in how to role-play...

(mine was helpful?and so was Nights)

Anyways, i think all rps should be different, as i have seen a few similar ones recently.

Clicky Clicky Clicky Clicky
    Desmond is the Travian Writer Champion!!!

On October the 3rd 2009, we, the members beat the MODS! on the Mods vs Members V.2 thread thanks to everyone who helped! On October the 17th 2009 at 11 o clock, we, the members beat the MODS! on the Mods vs Members V.2 thread thanks to everyone who helped!

He's Hearing Voices Hrbdefender's Avatar

I deleted them because they were for the discussion thread and not here

When is that beginning post going to be completed and Jantozaz and Taulphin, they are both excellent guides to Role Playing and I am not giving my opinion on which is better but it would have been better if that thread had been locked and sticked.

In a few days, my memories will be tears in the rain...

Travian Writer Champion MemberMember

There used to be a huge guide on RPing (The dos and don'ts) by Rinak. It was pretty good, but it's old. It's quite good though.

Active MemberActive MemberActive Member dnnyk1's Avatar

I dont get roleplays
    My names dnnyk I like polystyrene bags.
    I don't put pictures of myself on facebook as I'm scared of identity theft
    Some times I pick my nose and wipe it on the back of my sock. huh huh
    Epic spammer no more

Quote Originally Posted by dnnyk1 View Post
    I dont get roleplays
    It's when you basically, make up a Bio for yourself and join a RP and make that RP progress by taking an active part in it. Although, you might have to use different Bio's for different RP's.

In a few days, my memories will be tears in the rain...

Gexern

I just wondered, how keen are people here on RPG`s? I'm a RPG creator on the Norwegian Travian Forum, and have created some of the greatest and most popular RPGs in that forum. And I would like to try to make something similar in this forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast