Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Overall Guide To Getting Started

Glen :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hypericus View Post
    How do you keep track of your quests. I got the first woodcutter quest screen as shown, and haven't had any others since!
    click the fat man on the right.

The Red Rem Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member elmoga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glen :P View Post
    click the fat man on the right.
    ROFL, nice glen, critisice the man who will get your population shot up !

Thanks for the guide Mrl - some points from me below.

Guide seems incredibly brief - a lot of images but not a lot of explanation or talking the person through. Also seems a little inconsistent. You tell them how to send a message and read a report after 'Now you understand' where they are more established and building Battering Rams. I'm sure they must have used the message function long before they got to this stage. I would sort your subheadings in chronological order.

Second to this - very much doubt once someone has been redirected to Travian.co.uk via an advert, they will click on the forum button, go straight to the guide section, and find out how to register. I would cut the registration process out, it doesn't seem the right place here. A guide should be in response to a question you believe someone will genuinely seek out an answer for.

Thirdly - you could do with less of the 'chat'. For example your guide often gives excuses for being long, and starts sentences with "okay then, let's do this". I think a guide should be simple and straightforward, rather than a diary function. Maybe the odd joke to break it up, but other personal touches aren't really necessary.

(Image 01) + (Image 02)
    I am not sure I understand what is going on in these pictures... there doesn't seem a good reason why you should blank everything out. I will have a look in my archive of images and see if I can sort you out with a few which don't have massive gaps missing and highlighted.
    Uk1 armies: Round 2, Round 3, Round 5
    Uk2 armies: Round 2, Round 3, round 4
    Uk3 armies: Round 2
    Uk4 armies: Round 3
    Uk5 armies: Round 2, Round 3
    Uk6 armies: Round 2
    Ukx3 armies: Round 8, Round 9, Round 10, Round 11
    Ukx5 armies: Round 1

nicely done, although as mentioned it is brief. i also think there is no need to explain the registration part i mean, if u found it via through an advert the first thing most people if not all, will just make an account rather than come here..

A few quick additional words and pictures and it could end up looking like this:

MRL THE BEST GUIDE: http://archive.forum.travian.co.uk/s...ad.php?t=38339

Introduction
    - Choosing a Server
    - Logging In
    - First Impressions

Your Account
    - Village Overview
    - Village Centre
    - Outside your village
    - Messages & Reports

Styles of Play
    - Military
    - Economy
    - Statistics

Useful Links
    - Guides
    - Credits

INTRODUCTION
    Getting started on an international server for an Massive Multiplayer Online Real Time Strategy Game can be daunting if it's a new experience for a gamer - even the term is a mouthful! This guide will talk you through aspects of the game you are likely to encounter in your first few weeks of play.

CHOOSING A SERVER
    The Uk has an incredible 7 servers to offer you, ranging from the most popular to the more unique. The System on a server indicates which version of Travian is running, 2.5 is a 'classic' server, and runs an old version of Travian so players can experience what the game used to be like. T3.1 has combined elements from T3.0 and T3.5, and will be expiring at the end of those servers to be replaced with the fully upgraded T3.5. T3.5 is the latest version of Travian which includes all the newest images, changes and features.

LOGGING IN
    Upon registering on your first server and logging in, you will be given the option to do Quests, look around on your own or 'play no quests'. It will pop up in a little box looking just like this:

To the first quest! - We strongly advise all new players to follow the Questmaster (pictured above with a red glow); he sets a series of 22 tasks and offers a reward incentive for completing things right. The Quests also teach you the difference between Military and Economy - an important decision for players to make in the game. After the 22 Quests, the Questmaster will disappear and you are on your own.

Look around on your own - If you opt to look around on your own from the beginning, bear in mind there will be terms and words you might not understand and may find things more difficult to grasp. Once you have decided not to follow the Questmaster, there is no way you can change your mind - so choose carefully.

Play no quests - The 'play no quests' option allows you to receive some of the Quest rewards without having to complete them. However these are allocated to you over a period of 7 days and may not fit in with your playing style. This is still better than 'Look around on your own' where you get no reward, but you also get no help from the Questmaster and may struggle if you are new.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    Every player's account looks the same at the beginning, you are allocated a 4-4-4-6 village. The 4-4-4-6 represents each resource tile. For example, you have 4 wood tiles, 4 clay tiles, 4 iron tiles, and 6 wheat tiles. These are represented as the following images: . The last image is for 'Wheat Consumption', which we will look at later.

There are only 4 types of resources produced in Travian (listed above). But as you progress in the game and found new villages, you will see there are many different combinations of these resources and some work more to your advantage than others. Take a look at the images below and see if you can spot the difference:

Channing Tatum<3 Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member Touched's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    A few quick additional words and pictures and it could end up looking like this:

MRL THE BEST GUIDE: http://archive.forum.travian.co.uk/s...ad.php?t=38339

Introduction
    - Choosing a Server
    - Logging In
    - First Impressions

Your Account
    - Village Overview
    - Village Centre
    - Outside your village
    - Messages & Reports

Styles of Play
    - Military
    - Economy
    - Statistics

Useful Links
    - Guides
    - Credits

INTRODUCTION
    Getting started on an international server for an Massive Multiplayer Online Real Time Strategy Game can be daunting if it's a new experience for a gamer - even the term is a mouthful! This guide will talk you through aspects of the game you are likely to encounter in your first few weeks of play.

CHOOSING A SERVER
    The Uk has an incredible 7 servers to offer you, ranging from the most popular to the more unique. The System on a server indicates which version of Travian is running, 2.5 is a 'classic' server, and runs an old version of Travian so players can experience what the game used to be like. T3.1 has combined elements from T3.0 and T3.5, and will be expiring at the end of those servers to be replaced with the fully upgraded T3.5. T3.5 is the latest version of Travian which includes all the newest images, changes and features.

LOGGING IN
    Upon registering on your first server and logging in, you will be given the option to do Quests, look around on your own or 'play no quests'. It will pop up in a little box looking just like this:

To the first quest! - We strongly advise all new players to follow the Questmaster (pictured above with a red glow); he sets a series of 22 tasks and offers a reward incentive for completing things right. The Quests also teach you the difference between Military and Economy - an important decision for players to make in the game. After the 22 Quests, the Questmaster will disappear and you are on your own.

Look around on your own - If you opt to look around on your own from the beginning, bear in mind there will be terms and words you might not understand and may find things more difficult to grasp. Once you have decided not to follow the Questmaster, there is no way you can change your mind - so choose carefully.

Play no quests - The 'play no quests' option allows you to receive some of the Quest rewards without having to complete them. However these are allocated to you over a period of 7 days and may not fit in with your playing style. This is still better than 'Look around on your own' where you get no reward, but you also get no help from the Questmaster and may struggle if you are new.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    Every player's account looks the same at the beginning, you are allocated a 4-4-4-6 village. The 4-4-4-6 represents each resource tile. For example, you have 4 wood tiles, 4 clay tiles, 4 iron tiles, and 6 wheat tiles. These are represented as the following images: . The last image is for 'Wheat Consumption', which we will look at later.

There are only 4 types of resources produced in Travian (listed above). But as you progress in the game and found new villages, you will see there are many different combinations of these resources and some work more to your advantage than others. Take a look at the images below and see if you can spot the difference:

Taking into account all you have said above, etc.. I am going to go over alot of the guide again, alot of new pictures etc...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12