Thread: How to use the Trapper effectively

ImproAnk

Default How to use the Trapper effectively

Guide to using Trapper

Hey,

Although there is a good guide on using Trapper written by Ze Jones, I personally thought that guide could be improved in terms of clarity. No offences meant Ze

I hope you all like this guide too.

ImproAnk
    Coming back to the topic ..

THE TRAPPER

Prerequisites:
    Gaul Tribe; Rally Point lvl 1

Basically, each tribe is given a special attribute for going through the First phase (<3 months for normal servers) of the game. Teutons get Cheap Raiding Units (Macemen/Clubswingers) with Plundering Bonus. Romans are given the ability to raise Buildings and Resource Fields simultaneously, while Gauls get Double Cranny Bonus and Trapper.
    I'm mentioning this just to point out that, these things are most useful only in first 3 months, although they may be handy afterwards. Maces/Clubs are cheap Raiding units, but are no match when it comes to attack any opponent. Romans can build simultaneously, but after 5-6 weeks they have to focus on getting their buildings upgraded to expand further.
    So the point is Double Cranny Bonus and the Trapper are used best only in first 3 months and not later. Keep this in mind, otherwise you may keep losing resources for some unworthy cause (you'll know what later).

The Upgrade costs for Trapper are as follows:

*Taken from here

With every Trapper upgrade you not only get to create more traps, but the traps are created in less time too. For the reference, at Trapper lvl 1 each trap can be created in 5 mins, but at lvl 20 one trap takes 41 seconds. I'm not sure about the timings, mods pls can you give me a update on this.

Important things about Trapper and traps:

_From the Trapper, you can create Traps which capture the enemy troops. Each trap can hold 1 troop, irrespective of troop's crop usage (ie, 1 trap can hold 1 mace or 1 TT or even 1 Hero/cata)
    _For every upgrade of Trapper, you can create more traps, but you have to create traps explicitly. It's not that if you upgrade the Trapper, automatically that many traps are created.
    _When some troops are trapped, those are fed by their mother village and not by you.
    _One should also know that Trappers cannot be targeted by catapults, unless they are on 'random' targets.
    _The number of traps present in the village cannot be scouted.
    _The imprisoned troops cannot be attacked, ie they remain safe in the traps.

Each trap costs:

Some basic mechanisms of traps:

Capturing Troops:
    Whenever there's any attack and you have created some traps, those many attacker's troops are imprisoned. You should know that, whenever the attack happens, troops are imprisoned first and later on, they meet your defensive troops.

Releasing Troops:
    The defending player can voluntarily release the troops trapped (there may be several reasons for this, discussed later). To do so go in the Rally Point, there lies the option to Release the imprisoned troops.
    If the attacker has to get his troops imprisoned troops out, the he must launch a 'normal' attack and atleast 1 from the attack party should survive the attack. The troops are also released if any other player from the attacker's alliance is able to perform the same.

Hence it is always recommended that traps should be backed by enough defensive troops to keep the troops imprisoned.
    If you ask me, a lvl 5 Trapper with 60+ traps and 100 defensive units is a deadly combination for the attacker within the first few months of server. Build the troops first and then all 60 traps at a stretch.

Note that, according to T3.5, if the defender voluntarily releases the troops all his traps are repaired without any cost, but if the attacker manages to launch a successful attack only 1/3rd of the traps are repaired. So, if the attacker is successful, you loose your defensive troops as well as 2/3rd of traps == very big loss for defender.
    And precisely due to this fact, the traps become useless after 3 months when the attacking party is large enough to do double damage to defender.

Just making a point for non-Gauls: If you ever want to attack any Gaul player always launch 'normal' attacks against them when you suspect that they could have traps and send bigger raiding party than usual.

Intelligent use of traps

Getting Resources from the attacker:
    __If the attacker has some troops imprisoned in your village, try working on some deal with him like asking for resources to release the troops. Do not do this immediately when the troops get imprisoned. Wait for a day. If the attacker does not re-attack, be sure that either the attacker does not have enough army left or he might have not noticed that his troops are imprisoned. If there's first situation, you can ask reasonable amount of resources (I usually ask about 1/2 of the resources required to build the imprisoned troops, like if there are 10 maces in my traps, I ask for 1250 resources total as 10 maces take 2500 resources to build). If you are not reasonable, the attacker might just 'disband' his troops and you loose the chance of getting free resources.
    __One more factor in the bargain is the race of attacker, if the attacker is a Teuton he may just be happy to disband his troops and make new ones, but if the attacker is a Roman he's more likely to agree to your terms as his troops are expensive.
    __Do not bargain with a stronger player, there are chances that you start getting attacks with catapults.

Walking troops home:
    __This is the part I like most. Gauls have the fastest units in the game. Use this to your advantage.
    What you do is go to certain time-distance calculator, calculate how much time the imprisoned troops will require to go back to their village and adjust the release of the troops and your attack such that your attack lands approximately 1-2 seconds after the enemy troops return to their village. Because of this, you get to keep all of your traps intact, and cause more damage to the attacker by killing off his troops.
    __If the attacker is Teuton, you can attack him freely with your TTs as generally Teutonic troops are weak in defence. But if the attacker is Roman, then you have to be cautious with this approach. To be on safer side, it's always good to scout the attacker's village before doing this as you get an idea what the attacker has with him.
    __This technique can be used, even if the attacker does not negotiate and send out another attack. You release this troops and clear out the traps for his coming troops, and kill the released troops in their own village. If you succeed doing this continuously, I'm sure that the attacker will either leave you alone or just delete his account.

Protecting Settlers and Chiefs:
    __It is not necessary that trappers should be used to imprison enemy troops only. One can imprison settlers/chiefs from his alliance to make sure that they remain alive. This is a widely used strategy all over.

Reducing Enemy Attack:
    __This part does not come into picture much, but if you are lucky you can damage the attacker heavily. The strategy is when you are getting attacked by a bigger force and you call in reinfos. If you happen to have 400 traps, and around 200 reinfs, and the attacker is attacking with say 500 units, firstly those 400 units will get trapped and only 100 troops remain to meet your 200 troops. So, at the end you have managed to kill 100 troops and are having 400 of his troops, which you can kill by Walking them home along with your allies. But this is a very rare chance if you ask me, but I've seen this happen.

This is all I could think of for now, I'll update this as I recall other things.
    If those things come to your mind, do reply. I'd be happy to update this.

ImproAnk
    Last edited by ImproAnk; 15 Jul 2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Updating

Active MemberActive MemberActive Member ursamajor's Avatar

wow that is detailed

Gaul MemberGaul Member

admittedly Ive not read every word, but the thing that stands out for me is that cant see that you have even mentioned building multiple trappers

Junior Gaul Member

I've read both this and the Ze Jones guides and I'm still none the wiser on one point.

I'm playing Gaul on S6 (and I'm a complete n00b) and I cannot, for the life of me, work out how to build a trapper. It's not there as an option. I have a level 1 Rally Point and I've been right through all the available build options that I don't have yet and can't see it. Is the trapper disabled on S6? Would be useful if that info was in the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Sc00by View Post
    I've read both this and the Ze Jones guides and I'm still none the wiser on one point.

I'm playing Gaul on S6 (and I'm a complete n00b) and I cannot, for the life of me, work out how to build a trapper. It's not there as an option. I have a level 1 Rally Point and I've been right through all the available build options that I don't have yet and can't see it. Is the trapper disabled on S6? Would be useful if that info was in the guide.
    S6 is a classic server = no trappers.

I = Student = Poor = Click Here To Help 187 - Sexier than you

Junior Gaul Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gilboy View Post
    S6 is a classic server = no trappers.
    I guessed as much... Thanks for confirming though. I'll go find the bit that discusses the difference n the servers I think... (and then go create a village on a normal one, most likely)

Just one thing...'protecting settlers and chiefs'...do you mean those belonging to other alliance members? They just send them to your village and get trapped for safe keeping? Or else, if you mean your own settlers etc, surely they wouldn't get trapped if you were sending them between your own villages? Or would you have to send them as an attack on yourself?

Gaul MemberGaul Member

yes you just need to send them as an attack to your own village