Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relaxed Roman Guide

Default Relaxed Roman Guide

I know this may be really corny and the like but this guide is dedicated to all the people who answered my questions on the forums

Thank you very much

I know its long but it is worth reading, trust me

This is based around the Roman tribe as it is the only tribe I have ever played with..... Yet even if you play with Gauls or Teutons read on you never know you might learn something new (I doubt it though lol)

I, like many new players do have searched the forums and other such websites looking for that bit of information to give me that edge. Yet the impracticality of many of the guides is well, shocking. Travian is an excellent game but unless you are willing to spend large amounts your time online or have numerous duals (more than once person playing the same account) then large amounts of the guides tips and information will be very hard to follow. In answer to this Iím completing this guide for the benefit of those who are either new to Travian or people who only play a bit every day. Therefore if youíre looking to get into the top ten players and be competitive for winning the server then this guide may not be for you.

Beginners Protection

When you initially start off your own little village you will you receive a set number of days of beginners protection this means that those mean old Teutons who you will later start to hate (trust me on that one) cannot raid all your resources straight away. It gives you a little time to get on your feet for the first few days (the length varies as to what type of server your on, speed or normal and also how late in the server you join). I personally recommend following the quest system, I know quite a few other guides are against it, yet I just think that the added resources you end up with are worth the effort. With the Romans I think the economy route is best as you get those extra resources. Once completed you should have almost all the basics of the game (I would also advice building a rally point, on the weird shaped building point to the right of your main building and a barracks) once all this has been completed, there are two key things that are required for the end of beginners protection, they are resources and crannies. I know everyone else is telling you to quickly get those troops out and get raiding and if your an active player there right you should be. Yet if you are a person who is more casual on the game and in particular playing Romans, it is unlikely you will have a force that even has a chance against the big boys and girls in your area (even if you started on the first day of the server there will always be someone who looks impossibly good compared to you). When you upgrade your resources your Cranny (or Crannies), Granary and Warehouse also need to upgraded to store and protect your resources. This is the most important aspect for a casual player who is starting out.....

Straight after Beginners Protection

You are going to lose resources and lose them quickly..... Iím not going to lie to you here.... Those aforementioned mean old Teutons have been eyeing you up for days now. They know exactly when youíre out of Beginners protection and their macemen are queuing up to get their thieving hands on your hard earned Wood Clay Iron and Wheat. On top of that there checking you out, these guys and gals are in it for the long haul, anybody building a force of any size is a threat to them, theyíll not only be wanting to steal your resources but keep you down. If you end up with a sizeable force youíll be someone who may damage them later on in the server so they want to keep you down from early on and avoid any threat in the future. They will want to make you their farm meaning they just take all your resources and once you get stuck in this rut it can be very difficult to get out of it, it was what made me quit on my first ever Travian server. You should have sizeable resources production and a number of Crannies to protect whatever you are producing, as the Teutons have the ability to steal a little bit of the stuff in your cranny you still lose a little yet hgopefully not very much. From here you should be doing two things building troops and keeping them out of your village. The first troop available to the Roman tribe is the Legionnaire and they are expensive for a starting player and that is why I am suggesting that you only start building them now where hopefully your resource production is to a level where you can build them pretty often. But building them is only half the battle, keeping them alive is the difficult part. If you have a certain time where you play Travian for a couple of hours rather than just twenty minute slots here and there, this would be the best time to start building a force. (On rainy Sunday afternoons the size of army sometimes doubles lol) Build around 10 Legionnaires and split them into two forces of 5 and have a look around you. Try to find people who are small, smaller then you. Your looking, for a population of less than 9 which means that they cannot have yet built a barracks and raid them. You can go over this level of population but I wouldnít recommend going too far over it. When you were raided earlier on in the game then you would have noticed that you couldnít see what was going to hit your village until after the attack had landed so the people you are attacking do not know if your hitting them with 5 Legionnaires or with 10,000 Equites Caesarisí and with your small force this can defiantly work in your favour as even if they have a larger force then you, chances are they will still remove them from the village in the fear that you might kill them. This leads nicely in to my next point. Chances are you still getting raided (the number of raids will decrease in relation to the increase in your population) you MUST (I cannot stress enough how important this is) keep your troops on the move. Teutons breed troops like rabbits so it does not matter if they lose a few troops and Gauls are more defensive in nature. Your troops whilst overall are better are more expensive and therefore the loss of even one is going to hurt you initially. If you see a raid coming then get your troops out of their and use up your resources, if they get nothing they will eventually get bored and send fewer raids. That practice works well when your online, but what if your off for 24 hours or so I hear you ask, this is after all a guide for a relaxed player? And well Iím sorry to say this but for now there is little you can do except understand, accept and move on... You are going to lose some resources, there is not much you can do about it for the moment do not let it upset you! Yet there are three key things you can do that can have an effect on this:

1) Spend, Spend, Spend before you leave get rid of all your resources upgrade your main building, your wall, your barracks keep that all going but do not leave for a long period of time with a lovely pile of resources left there ripe for the taking.

2) Send the boys on a stroll if youíre going to be gone for 8 hours send your troops on a raid that will take 8 hours to do this means that you need to find a village that is four hours away as it takes 4 hours for them to get there and 4 hours for them to get back, gone for 30 hours? Then send them on a raid that will last 30 hours (15 hours each way). Sounds obvious right? This will save you a lot of frustration, time and anger.... The five minutes it takes you to find the right village to raid whilst your girlfriends yelling at you and you miss the bus because of it and she gets all angry because you lose the reservation at the restaurant because you were on that stupid game again, well that will all be worth it when you donít have to spend 3 days rebuilding what you lost, plus sheíll forgive you in the end lol.

3) Alliance members and sitters are AWESOME (Iíll explain more about this in a bit)

Slowly build up your village the key things to improve are your Crannies, Troop numbers, Resource tiles, Main building, Barracks and your wall. Slowly this will all build up and the number of people raiding you will eventually decline until itís merely the big boys who are worried that your growing even though they are attacking you. Other players will slowly drop off attacking you, and now is the time to move on the third stage

Stage Three

I have named this stage three as, well it is entirely up to you when to start the things I advice here. It entirely depends on how much you play among numerous other things. This stage is basically research; you should have enough resources now from the growing raids and growing resource tiles to get this done a lot lot lot quicker than if you do it earlier around Beginners Protection. Here you are looking to build things like an Academy, Blacksmith, Armoury, Stable and perhaps a Siege workshop (caution expensive!!!).... Build these things up, but not randomly though think it through. When I play I like the first troop I research to be the Praetorian (the defenders of the Roman army) and then build up a couple of hundred of these and leave them in the village at all times to try to stop people from raiding you more than once as the will probably lose all the troops they send at you. At the beginning this sounds like a lot of troops but trust me when you get to this stage in the game it wonít be as youíll see people with armies numbering in the 1,000ís. I then like to research Equites Legati (the scouts of the Roman Army) and then build ten of them this gives you the ability to have a little look at other peoples forces but also warns you if others are checking you out, which you donít want to happen (with scouts if you donít have one in the village and someone scouts you then they get through without you noticing. This will let that player know you are a casual player and make them likely to attack you, which you donít want to happen) and then I finally research Equites Imperatories and build a few of these for raids, as their more expensive then Legionnaires yet the added ability with raiding is worth it, trust me.

Stage Four

By now you are not going to be dominating in your area but you will be up there, you will not be a farm unless something has gone terribly wrong and youíll probably be farming those around pretty regularly, IF your still a casual player (I say IF as this game is stupidly addictive) then just enjoy, build yourself a couple more villages perhaps. I know many experienced players who skim through this will be surprised that I only just mentioned getting a second village and their right. You really should build yourself a second village earlier then this yet more villages = more time required and Iím working on the assumption that you do not have that much time to spare.....

Once you have reached this point you should be pretty knowledgeable about the game and you will know in which direction you want to take it, and what you want to with your growing little empire. Just remember that whilst for many people Travian is a lifestyle, the truth is itís not, it is a game and meant to be enjoyed so enjoy it!!!!!

Tips for the casual player:

1) Protection is key.... Protect your troop and your resources as much as possible and it will all turn out fine

2) Do not get disheartened... There will be times when youíve waited for ages to have enough resource to build that update and then you go make yourself a sandwich and on your return you find it is all gone, a little bit of you will die on the inside each time it happens but if you work through it, it will happen less and less until it never happens and you can breathe easily.

3) Use the Forums... This one I cannot stress enough, the forums are one of the most valuable resources in the game I have asked so many pointless, annoying, stupid and easy questions that are always answered promptly and well whilst waiting for things to build read the forums the advice it will give you will be hugely valuable, always ask questions, it is the only way you learn

4) Alliances.... the bigger you get the more and more people will ask you to join their alliance. Do not just go for the first one that offers you a spot. If by the time you are considering joining an alliance you are now properly addicted then join one that has aspiration to be up at the top until the end of the game. With this your looking for one with a good leader, that is the most important thing in an alliance that is going for the win. If the leader can organise Confederation Pacts and Non Aggression Pacts ( basically your not going to fight with that one particular alliance) then you can defiantly be contenders if your now addicted make sure you try and pull your weight. Help where you can and send resources and troops when their needed...... If your still a casual player then talk to the people who message you and who ask you to join them and check out the alliances on the leader boards page. As your not really hoping to contend for the big prize, join people that are of a similar mind and purely and simply want to have a laugh. A word of warning with this route though being a part of a big a alliance can scare off people from raiding you. So if you do join a weak but enjoyable alliance be prepared to face more attacks as people try to farm you as they do not fear your alliance attacking them.

5) Sitters....are a valuable resource, these are people who have a limited level of power over your account and are able to update buildings, move troops and namely do the majority of things you would do in your village they can generally be arranged through your alliance and are excellent if you get the right kind of person.......

6) Plus accounts.... Now if your working and rich you can buy extra gold... But if your following this guide and complete the quest system you get 35 gold this is enough to give two three day goes of plus.... Plus can be very useful... But only activate it when you know your going to be active!!! This is key otherwise it is purely a waste

Well thatís all Iíve got really, was just bored so thought Iíd impart some wisdom lol Enjoy

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    Last edited by Randolf; 30 Jan 2010 at 01:31 PM.

This is my first attempt at anything like this so please be gentle but any comments would be appreciated

that is very good and helpful and i appreciate what your doing for all roman players.
    THE ULTIMATE RANDOM GUY

:tullia:

Just a few points:

- Wall of text. Screenshots and images help.

- A bit more punctuation would help.

- I, personally, would get Imps before EI's.

Yeah sorry just read through it and there are quite a few gramatically and spelling errors.... I'll try and put some screenshots and images in but am awful on computers so not really sure what im doing lol

New Poster

I really don't think that the grammar and spelling are such a huge issue. Well done. I think that something like this will help to keep players in the game, and make it more exciting for everyone.

Kudos!

out of guides ive read this is the best
    simplisity is better than a over-complicated guide.

Channing Tatum<3 Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member Touched's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeves View Post
    Just a few points:

- Wall of text. Screenshots and images help.

- A bit more punctuation would help.

- I, personally, would get Imps before EI's.
    EIs before imps any day.

Please - if not images to break things up then at least more paragraph breaks.
    It was worth the window.

Cool I'm on it...

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member deadman786's Avatar

[QUOTE=Randolf;886356]
    2) Spend the boys on a stroll if youíre going to be gone for 8 hours send your troops on a raid that will take 8 hours to do, gone for 30 hours send them on a raid that will last 30 hours. Sounds obvious right? This will save you a lot of frustration, time and anger.... The five minutes it takes you to find the right village to raid whilst your girlfriends yelling at you and you miss the bus because of it and she gets all angry because you lose the reservation at the restaurant because you were on that stupid game again, well that will all be worth it when you donít have to spend 3 days rebuilding what you lost, plus sheíll forgive you in the end lol.
    [QUOTE]

Should be send

Channing Tatum<3 Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member Touched's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deadman786 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolf View Post
    2) Spend the boys on a stroll if youíre going to be gone for 8 hours send your troops on a raid that will take 8 hours to do, gone for 30 hours send them on a raid that will last 30 hours. Sounds obvious right? This will save you a lot of frustration, time and anger.... The five minutes it takes you to find the right village to raid whilst your girlfriends yelling at you and you miss the bus because of it and she gets all angry because you lose the reservation at the restaurant because you were on that stupid game again, well that will all be worth it when you donít have to spend 3 days rebuilding what you lost, plus sheíll forgive you in the end lol.
    Should be send
    Also, send on a 4 hour raid, as by the time they come back = 8 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Touched View Post
    EIs before imps any day.
    Like i said, it's just my preference. I hate it when expensive EI's die because your sitter cba

Also, send on a 4 hour raid, as by the time they come back = 8 hours.
    Cheers Touched and Deadman

If anyone else spots a mistake let me know please.... Having a bit of trouble with the pictures but when my computer starts working again they should be up there...

maiq

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeves View Post
    Like i said, it's just my preference. I hate it when expensive EI's die because your sitter cba
    this guide repeats a ton of times: NOT to leave your troops at home.. so no EI should die...

EI gives u counterattacking which imps don't...

also I'd research EI before preatorians. counterattacking'd be much more efficient than defending plus u can use IE to improve your farming (distance and capacity)...

I like this guide.. except for that point..

TIP: don't put that huge amount of text togheter... split it in sub-divisions or something... usually big amounts of text together are not read entirely..

Active MemberActive MemberActive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Randolf View Post
    cannot raid all your resources straight away.

Are you implying they can raid some ?

'cannot raid all your resources straight away.'
    Xbox Live GT:

x iJ 0 K 3 R x

Good guide i like it. Too many people try to make it complicated and it really is all quite simple....farm, farm and more farming makes me a happy lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    Are you implying they can raid some ?

'cannot raid all your resources straight away.'

remember teutons can raid something like 20% of a cranny.

Overall a good guide, it was set out to be simple and it is
    Well done

click on the dinosaur to earn free gold for me

Honoured Roman MemberHonoured Roman MemberHonoured Roman MemberHonoured Roman Member FlacidBreasts's Avatar

EIs before imps any day.
    Its all about the legs! Fastest way to second village, pretend they are mace, but slower, more expensive and carry less - it' a challenge that I certainly cannot be bothered to ever do again, but i incredibly rewarding if done right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast