Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Guide to Defending

No problem dude .. Like I said, I'm not really the one to be thanking... Thank everyone that has passed this information on to me - which has enabled me to make this guide

~epitome of grumpiness~ Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member Lucidity's Avatar
    In a sea of melancholy, surrounded by sharks of malcontent.

Not read it yet; meantime, take out the red text or make it a different colour.
    edited by admin due violation of the rules

Ex Moderator, Multihunter and Whistleblower

Done. Changed it to bold...

Is red used for something specific then? ... I thought it was just another color lol

Tullia

Quote Originally Posted by Brutius Maximus View Post
    Done. Changed it to bold...

Is red used for something specific then? ... I thought it was just another color lol

Technically it's reserved for moderators. In a guide, limited use of it for emphasis is acceptable but large chunks are not; for the reason it's hard to read and hurts the eyes if nothing else!

Generally I think this is an OK guide but needs a lot of work on layout to actually be effective - this about text size, use of bullet points, creating more white space etc to make it easier on the eye, separate sections and highlight key points.

I'm not sure there's a logic order to this things you list, and some form of proper contents listing at the top would be helpful.

The only thing I would say as well is that I don't see much here that isn't in gowf's guide already. (Think I mean gowf, one of the 30dom lot anyway). In fact I think I see some bits from that guide.

I also don't like your comment that most of it is other people's work but you aren't crediting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tullia View Post
    Technically it's reserved for moderators. In a guide, limited use of it for emphasis is acceptable but large chunks are not; for the reason it's hard to read and hurts the eyes if nothing else!
    Ok.

Generally I think this is an OK guide but needs a lot of work on layout to actually be effective - this about text size, use of bullet points, creating more white space etc to make it easier on the eye, separate sections and highlight key points.
    The posts are limited to 15000 characters I think... Or something along those lines. The guide wouldn't fit so I cut out some of the white spaces etc. I don't know how I can separate it out into different posts, without posting them after these posts - And therefore leaving some comments randomly in the middle of it.

I'm not sure there's a logic order to this things you list, and some form of proper contents listing at the top would be helpful.
    Noted. With more space I could make one, and/or seperation of each points... But these comments will need to be moved out the middle of it, which I can't do I dont think

The only thing I would say as well is that I don't see much here that isn't in gowf's guide already. (Think I mean gowf, one of the 30dom lot anyway). In fact I think I see some bits from that guide.
    Some bits are from there I think, But not all of it is from his guide... There is quite a lot of new stuff in there too I think.

I also don't like your comment that most of it is other people's work but you aren't crediting them.
    I can't remember where it is all from ... So I can't make a list, as I might leave someone out. Instead I wrote the notice to the bottom, so that people who knew some of the guide was written by them etc, that they could tell me... Thus allowing me to make a list.

Tullia

long post
    if you let me know how many additional posts you want, i will create them for you after your initial ones.

if you let me know how many additional posts you want, i will create them for you after your initial ones.
    If each section needs to be in a different post, with a contents etc.... 15 more posts please.

Tullia

If each section needs to be in a different post, with a contents etc.... 15 more posts please.

not sure each section needs a brand new post, but sure. I can delete any you don't need.

Ok im done, What do you think of the new arrangement?

Its good, and nicely written, though Im not sure what there is that hasnt been written already.

You mentioned using the com sim to check out potential losses before a hit. I would suggest rather than use the plus comsim, you use the Kirilloid one which is available to all.

You talk about chief waves being easier to tell, the problem with this is, that if the player is chiefing from village A (his off village) B, and C, you may well have hits on several of your villages from A,B and C that could all be chiefings. In addition, if he's good he may well have several hits on each village 30 seconds apart or so, making it impossible to know which is the correct village he is going for, and which set of attacks you need to cut. I think Gowf might go in better detail and depth here. But if not, you could mention which are the attackers likely targets, (croppers, off villages, strategically placed villages)

If you're lucky you can dodge a 2 sec counter using separate tabs, its not fullproof, but its not impossible. One way to improve your odds, get your sitters and duals to all try. Only 1 of you needs to be successful.
    I need help, not ridicule!

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
    You mentioned using the com sim to check out potential losses before a hit. I would suggest rather than use the plus comsim, you use the Kirilloid one which is available to all.
    Done.

you could mention which are the attackers likely targets, (croppers, off villages, strategically placed villages)
    I added this information to the cutting chief waves section. Im sure someone can improve on it as and when needed... but for now it's a start I guess.

really good guide why is it still in proposed?

Tullia

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    really good guide why is it still in proposed?
    Because we only have time to review them every couple of months and this one is only a few days old?

Because we only have time to review them every couple of months and this one is only a few days old?
    Plus it's not "finalized" yet. Some people are still making suggestions, and I am making improvements on them. In a week or so, once people are happy with it - I'll be time to start thinking about if its good enough for the "proper" guides.

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member Darkest's Avatar

Traps are more important in defence than you have stated. Sure one trap*won't help that much, but as a Gaul I aim for between 10 and 16 Trappers in a supply village and as many as i can in the Cropper, Scouting and offensive village.
    As a defensive Gaul the only buildings you will need AFTER you have build and used the residence, and the other pre-requisite buildings are:
    Main building (perhaps, could also be turned into a trapper if there are no more buildings slots and everything is at its highest level)
    Warehouse
    Granary
    Stable OR barracks (one or the other, phalanx or druidriders)
    Marketplace
    Rally point
    Wall
    Trade Office (only if the village your supplying is more than 20 Mins away)
    Rest are trappers.

In a speed server they do serve less purpose, but in a normal server, you can trap 4,000 troops - 8,000 troops. and as a lot of people train higher amounts of cavalry, more wheat is being captured and thus lowering the amount of defence needed to successfully defeat the attacker.
    I mean, if you can get 6,000 traps, and you get attacked by 20,000 Axemen and 10,000 TK's you will trap 4,000 Axemen and 2,000 TK's. This will instantly lower their attack to 16,000 Axemen and 8,000 TK's, an impressive 20% decrease in attack power.

As this is a proposed guide i thought this area could be improved slightly, obviously their are changes with the Travian Versions etc... But very well detailed over all.

Darkest, xx
    I'm a big, fat, hairy Spam-melon

Quote Originally Posted by Darkest View Post
    Traps are more important in defence than you have stated. Sure one trap*won't help that much, but as a Gaul I aim for between 10 and 16 Trappers in a supply village and as many as i can in the Cropper, Scouting and offensive village.

This will instantly lower their attack to 16,000 Axemen and 8,000 TK's, an impressive 20% decrease in attack power.

As this is a proposed guide i thought this area could be improved slightly, obviously their are changes with the Travian Versions etc... But very well detailed over all.

Darkest, xx
    Hmm. I can see where you are coming from, As it would help with the defense. However, they do not actually "kill" the troops. So with the amount of resources, spent on the 6000 traps... You could have trained another 3000 or so troops. Which, with a large defense bonus from wall etc - Would probably kill that many troops.

Trapping his troops would mean you need to send them back (to repair the traps) - Giving him an instant 6K troops to attack you again. Or, if you don't send them back... a large reason to choose to attack you again (to free them) - In which case your traps are used up.

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member Darkest's Avatar

Hmm. I can see where you are coming from, As it would help with the defense. However, they do not actually "kill" the troops. So with the amount of resources, spent on the 6000 traps... You could have trained another 3000 or so troops. Which, with a large defense bonus from wall etc - Would probably kill that many troops.

Trapping his troops would mean you need to send them back (to repair the traps) - Giving him an instant 6K troops to attack you again. Or, if you don't send them back... a large reason to choose to attack you again (to free them) - In which case your traps are used up.

A trap cost 80 resources. What unit costs 160 resources?
    Traps are expandable, if you release units you get them all back for free, whereas 3000 dead phalanx won't come back to life.

It's about tactics. If you capture 6000 troops (4,000 AXE and 2,000 Tk) That's 10,000 wheat p/h. So that's going to dampen their resource production and lower the attackers next hit. You can always time releases so you get all your traps back in time for the next attack, and just be weary of fakes.

Darkest, xx
    I'm a big, fat, hairy Spam-melon

There is always the option of waiting till he sends another attack, release his troops, follow them home and kill them them, then follow home the ones that were sent to release the trapped ones and kill those too. If he's having to spawn a load of troops to release them, he might not be building a huge amount of defence...

There is always the option of waiting till he sends another attack, release his troops, follow them home and kill them them, then follow home the ones that were sent to release the trapped ones and kill those too. If he's having to spawn a load of troops to release them, he might not be building a huge amount of defence...
    If you had enough troops to walk the trapped soldiers home, to defend against the second wave - and then follow that set of troops home... I doubt you would need the traps in the first place... As you would have enough troops to kill his army (plus what he trained during the "trapped" period, which he wouldn't of had the first time round).

well, you dont need to defend against his 2nd wave, and if you're quick enough with your TTs you can hit both lots of his troops with one lot of yours...

So to recap, if he's using mace, then actually you dont need any defensive troops, and very few TTs to deal with a load of mace

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast