Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide to using The Brewery

Epic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton Member commander's Avatar

Default Guide to using The Brewery

Commander’s Guide to the Brewery.

Contents:
    1) Brewery FAQ
    2) Maths to help determine when the Brewery is worth its cost.

FAQ

What is the Brewery?

• The brewery is amongst several new buildings introduced on the new T3.5 servers. T3.5 is an updated version of travian over the older T3.1. There are new buildings, resource tiles, graphics, and troops also train 20% faster.

Who is it for?

• The brewery is for Teutons only.

Where can I build it?

• The brewery can only be built in the capital village, however it has an effect on the whole empire. Therefore, any attack you send from any village in your empire will gain a % advantage from 1-10% IF you have a festival running.

What does it do?

• The brewery has 10 levels, each of which equates to a 1% attack bonus for your troops. So, a festival running from a level 1 brewery equates to a 1% attack bonus, a festival running from a level 2 brewery will equate to a 2% attack bonus, and so on up to a maximum of a 10% attack bonus from a festival running from a level 10 brewery.

When should I use the brewery/hold a festival?

• A festival should be thrown when you want that extra added attack power for your army. This may include times such as clearing defence for your friends/alliance, and random catapulting with no intention of hitting specific targets, i.e you may be looking to simply 0 your opponent. Also, it can be used to great effect for a WW (World Wonder) ram army, which is designed to contain a lot of rams in order to lower or destroy the wall of the opposition’s WW village, so that catapult attacks can follow, and thus stand more chance of doing more damage due to the decreased defence bonus from the lowered wall.

When should I NOT use the brewery/hold a festival?

• For the benefit of up to an added 10% attack bonus, the brewery also has its drawbacks. Side-effects of running a festival, include causing catapults to hit random targets, rather than targets you may have selected, and it also reduces chief effectiveness by a whopping 50%!
    • Therefore, you should NOT run a festival whilst chiefing, or whilst attempting to crop kill/crop lock an opponent, or indeed when you need to catapult any other specific buildings, such as the Treasure chamber in an artefact village, or a Great warehouse (for example) in a WW village.

How long does the attack bonus last for?

• Regardless of what level your brewery is, each festival will run for 72 hours. Something to bear in mind, is that you can send catapults with specific targets DURING a festival, so long as they LAND AFTER the festival has finished. So to clarify, you can still SELECT targets whilst a festival is running, but if when they HIT the festival is sill running, they will hit RANDOM.

What are the pre-requisites?

• You need a Granary level 20, and a rally point level 10 in your capital.

How much does the Brewery cost to build?

The cost for each level of the Brewery is as follows:

How much does a festival cost?

The cost of a festival is exactly the same every time, no matter what level the Brewery is, and will always last for 72 hours.

The Maths

Now I will show you just when it is worth it to throw a festival for an attack bonus, over simply building more troops. There will be two tables, one for the Axeman/Teutonic Knight combination, and one for the Maceman/Teutonic Knight combination. The attack values are worked out using typical advised ratios of 3:1 and 4:1, for Axe/TK and Mace/TK combinations respectively.

Firstly, a small table showing the cost of each group and their attack power.

You may need to refer to these figures when looking over the tables below.

Axeman/Teutonic Knight combination:

1. The first column is pretty self-explanatory, and shows the total cost of each level of the brewery, plus the cost of running a festival, which is the same cost for each level of the brewery remember.

2. The second column, shows how many ‘groups’ of Axe/TK you could make for approximately the same cost as a particular level of brewery and a festival. So for example, for the same cost of a level 1 brewery and festival, you could build 8 ‘groups’ of Axe/TK, each group being in a 3 Axe: 1 TK ratio. (3*8 = 24 Axemen & 1*8 = 8 TK).

3. Thirdly, we have the total offense points of the particular number of groups in question. So again, using the first row as an example, 8 groups has a total offense points score of ~2162.

4. The final column is the all important one. In simple terms, this shows how many attack points your army must have, before it is worth building a particular level of the brewery and holding a festival at that level, over building more units for the same cost. In this case, holding a festival at level 1 with an army with an attack power of 216,180, a 1% bonus would result in ~2162 extra attack power. As you can see, this is approximately the same as building another 8 groups of Axe/TK to gain an almost identical attack boost. (Whilst they look perfectly identical, figures are rounded in places, thus for level 1, the brewery gives a very slight advantage over building 8 more groups, despite there seeming no difference).

Maceman/Teutonic Knight combination:

The same points apply as set out under the Axe/TK table further above. Simply remember to think in 4:1 ratios of Macemen/Teutonic Knights when looking at this table.
    Again, the final column is the important one in deciding when it is worth building a certain level of brewery and holding a festival for your Mace/TK army.

I hope my guide was relatively simple and easy to follow, and thanks for reading.

Guide by Commander.

Tullia

Nice work; this is a guide that I think was very much needed, as we get a lot of questions as MH/Support about the issues around random targeting.

It might be worth clarifying a little bit more that you do still get to select a target with your cats when sending the hit, but they hit random - this is something that often confuses people.

I found the maths on the cost/benefit really interesting - it seems that it's worth going for a mid/low level Brewery a lot sooner than you might think, and it's also interesting that it's more effective sooner at a higher level than at level one, which is very counter-intuative at first.

Very revealing, and a nice analysis.

I like the Q&A style and think it's very user friendly.

:thumb:

Epic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton Member commander's Avatar

I thought I put it in there about being able to select targets but they wont hit selected targets unless the attacks land after he festival has finished. But alas, I shall ultra clarify

Tullia

Quote Originally Posted by commander View Post
    I thought I put it in there about being able to select targets but they wont hit selected targets unless the attacks land after he festival has finished. But alas, I shall ultra clarify
    I think you started to say it here:

Something to bear in mind, is that you can send catapults with specific targets DURING a festival, so long as they LAND AFTER the festival has finished. So you can send during, but they must land after in order to hit the targets you selected.
    But what I mean is to explain to people that just because you are selecting a target doesn't mean it won't still go random if they initiate a festival or have a festival running that won't finish before the hit.
    A lot of people think if they get to select a target then the Brewery isn't working - which is wrong

But it's a teensy point in an otherwise very nice guide.

I have altered. Is it any clearer?

Great guide
    Well done Commander
    Darkest made it

Our Ukx gold link

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member Darkest's Avatar

I found the last two images/tables kinda confusing. The numbers were easy to get, its the title of the columns that threw me for a while. I got there in the end.
    Brewery Cost (and previous levels) + Festival cost.
    Attacks groups per cost.
    Offence/Attack points per cost.
    Effectively. (With formula in brackets maybe?)

Just a little input. All the rest was good and was easy enough to understand.
    I'm a big, fat, hairy Spam-melon

sweet will get my brewery up to 5 for now
    I DUNNO

No really whats going on

I wish I read this thread earlier
    Wondering why I was missing residence when Chiefing & when attacking trying to knock Residence out with Wall was also missing.
    Great guide

Cloud Strife

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member septimus ii's Avatar

Excellent guide and answers a lot of my questions.

One niggle:

I think your value for the off total of an axe/TK group is wrong: I make it 3*60+150=330
    (I think you calculated the off for 2:1) Unfortunately, this throws the whole table off, but Excel should automatically right itself.

Active MemberActive MemberActive Member

just thought i would mention a couple of things;
    1, CP, The Brewery at level 10 has the same CP as the Academy and Embassy, players biuld those just for CP, so thats another plus.
    2, Wheat and feeding, when building a big army the biggest issue is feeding it, anything that gives more off power for less wheat per hour has to be good.

very useful, am planning on playing tuet for the 1st time when S4 re-starts....thanks

Cloud Strife

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member septimus ii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Analyst View Post
    just thought i would mention a couple of things;
    1, CP, The Brewery at level 10 has the same CP as the Academy and Embassy, players biuld those just for CP, so thats another plus.

I was thinking about that too, so I ran the calculations - the brewery is hugely more expensive than the embassy and academy, and CP buildings should always be upgraded to level 20 where they produce 7x as much CP, but a brewery can't do this.

Quote Originally Posted by septimus ii View Post
    Excellent guide and answers a lot of my questions.

One niggle:

I think your value for the off total of an axe/TK group is wrong: I make it 3*60+150=330
    (I think you calculated the off for 2:1) Unfortunately, this throws the whole table off, but Excel should automatically right itself.
    Ah bummer...seems as though you are right. Dunno how I missed that to be honest..
    I'll get round to it at some point, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Analyst View Post
    2, Wheat and feeding, when building a big army the biggest issue is feeding it, anything that gives more off power for less wheat per hour has to be good.
    I'm not quite sure why you have mentioned this, as I can't see that I ever said anything on the contrary. But anyway, it is generally accepted (amongst my peers on my current server at least), that the brewery is more useless than useful. The only big use for the brewery is for someone with a WW ram army as stated in the FAQ part of the guide..for general purpose (i.e catapulting and chiefing) it is nothing but a hinderence.

Antigen

If I have a festival running and then I demo the brewery I presume that stops the festival?

No, it will carry on. (as far as logic tells me).

Just like if you put troops on build then destroy the barracks, the troops will still build. Once an action has been started it will continue for however long it is suposed to.

Antigen

Ah OK, thanks for the info.

Does the brewery exist in 3.6?
    I am the ninja!

Click on my gold link PLEASE!!

I will give you expert tuition, and entrance to a high-flying alliance, PROSPECT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by legionary9 View Post
    Does the brewery exist in 3.6?
    Yes it does, I can't wonder why you would think otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Tullia View Post
    It might be worth clarifying a little bit more that you do still get to select a target with your cats when sending the hit, but they hit random - this is something that often confuses people.
    Think of it this way.... in RL, after a few beers, you can see a group of nice girls, you can intend (select) to chat up any one of them, but if it's a Dutch courage fueled "attack", when the dust clears, you will probably find yourself chatting up a flower pot / bouncer instead....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast