View Poll Results: Do you believe in Global Warming?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    50 52.63%
  • Unsure

    10 10.53%
  • No

    35 36.84%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 187

Thread: Global Warming

  1. #161

    Default

    I wasnt questioning it, I was refuting it.

    And with that I leave you to the bickering, cheerio
    I need help, not ridicule!

  2. #162
    99.999% male Saffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Epsom
    Posts
    3,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmoga View Post
    I think it's governments way to stop us using carbon emissions.

    If Global warming is true why is it freezing at the moment?
    I shall state for the third time.

    We (GB) are going to cool down while climate change continues, this is because the gulf stream will be moving away from the British isles, therefore returning us to our natural latitude's temperature, think of Canada.
    'If you can't walk, you crawl, and if you can't do that, you get someone to carry you'

    Forum Rules
    | My dA Gallery


  3. #163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
    I shall state for the third time.

    We (GB) are going to cool down while climate change continues, this is because the gulf stream will be moving away from the British isles, therefore returning us to our natural latitude's temperature, think of Canada.
    A lot of people have an........... innacurate idea of what the World Map looks like Saffy.

    When I was at school, I was taught using a flat map similar to this one.


    Mercator Map.


    The problem with that type of map however, (and it's a common problem for my generation & older), is that it bears only a passing resemblance to a proportional graphical representation of the Earths surface. You see it has been designed for ease of viewing, and with a tendancy to concentrate on the Northern Hemisphere, (for whom the map was designed of course).

    I first encountered the real map which is known simply as...

    The Peters Map.

    After watching an episode of The West Wing where it piqued my interest.

    You will notice that we in the UK share a longitude with the Likes of Alaska and Russia.

    The reason that we do not share a similar weather system is because of the impact of the Gulf stream, (which turns into the North Atlantic Current).

    I was astonished when I first discovered the reality of how things were, as opposed to how I was taught they looked from books at school. I am guessing that there are a lot of "oldies" like me, who still don't know the true order of things.
    Have you been warned about breaching rule 2.P.?

    Jim (old) is gone. If we are posting it will be H (young).

  4. #164
    Teuton MemberTeuton Member Chineesedogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmoga View Post
    I think it's governments way to stop us using carbon emissions.

    If Global warming is true why is it freezing at the moment?
    Sigh... Hasn't somone already explained this.


    The name global warming is very misleading as it implies that the world is warming up. A more accurate term is climate change, which merely implies the worlds climate is changing-which it is. Please correct me if i'm wrong but i think britain will accually get colder or at least will get colder winters.

    Anyway what is predicted is that we will get more exteme weather and we certainly are. The birmingham and london tornados, the floods and the snow we're experiencing at the moment. Now maybe not all these examples are linked to climate change but i think its clear the climate is changing and i think over the next decade its going to get more extreme and we're going to experience bigger changes.

  5. #165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by h h h View Post
    map stuff
    Best of all, buy a globe.

  6. #166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    Best of all, buy a globe.
    pffft.

    Everyone knows that Earth being round malarkey is a myth.
    Have you been warned about breaching rule 2.P.?

    Jim (old) is gone. If we are posting it will be H (young).

  7. #167
    Junior Gaul Member ccfctilidie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    in the hills
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Blame the man who created CFC's, they are more harmfull to our ozone layer than we could have ever predicted.
    The World is changing and has always been, in some form of Ice age, Draught, tectonic plate movement, Volcanic Eruption, forest fires and floods. The world is in a continuous cycle and it will never be stopped or changed and if it does, im sure darwins theory of evolution will make sure the human race survies
    So in my opinion Global warming is true but natural and not made by man.

  8. #168

    Default

    Wow! I though this thread died when it was on the 3rd page so I didn't bother checking it again! We'll I cba to read all the way to here but I'll just respond to wrong statements made on this page.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccfctilidie View Post
    Blame the man who created CFC's, they are more harmfull to our ozone layer than we could have ever predicted.
    CFC's have nothing to do with global warming. Yes they're harmful to the ozone but eventually it'll repair itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccfctilidie View Post
    Volcanic Eruptions.
    Technically the last major volcanic eruption was Krakatoa. Man Made?- I don't know. Possibly, that was the most recent time the environment/nature REALLY affected the CO2 levels/composition of the
    atmosphere.

    Quote Originally Posted by elmoga View Post
    I think it's governments way to stop us using carbon emissions.
    Why would the governments want us to stop producing CO2? If you claim its for taxes I can't really see that as a valid arguement. If so why didn't the Bush administration introduce taxes. I mean he's skeptical about the idea but he could have gone along with it and taxed the nation. Scientists don't usually lie. They have no VESTED interest. They just want to prove or disprove a hypothesis. I mean why would they want to lie about global warming in the first place?? What is there to gain to lie about global warming?

    Plus for this to be true they would have to bribe every scientist on the planet (to say global warming is true) out there just to tax the public? Very unlikely.

    Quote Originally Posted by elmoga View Post
    If Global warming is true why is it freezing at the moment?
    If climate change does continue to the predicted consequences the world in general will get warmer but our climate will get colder. New York considers the weather that we're getting atm normal, evidence my guitar teacher is from New York and thinks what's the fuss about! We get lots of snow in New York!! He says. Lol. And remember New York is a bit south of us. Its on par with about Southern France/Northern Spain Latitude wise. So something is keeping us warm and its called the gulf stream as mentioned by saffy. The gulf stream carries warm water from the Carribean to the UK/ Western Europe keeping us at a mild climate. If you look across in Canada which is the same Latitude as UK the lakes freeze over there! Harbours/ Ports etc freeze! This again like New York is because there is no warm current to give it a mild winter.

    Thats all very good so how can climate change make us colder you say?

    Well basically due to melting in the North Pole and Greenland more cold water enters the Atlantic Ocean. This will come into contact with the gulf stream coming up from the Carribean and this neutralising the effect of it. Its like pouring cold water to hot water. Our climate will therefore become colder in the winter.

    Currently, now, the snow we're getting is actually from High pressure situated in the North Polar region shifting cold air from the poles down to the UK/Mainland Europe. Causing snowfall when it comes into contact with rainfall.

  9. #169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Water+ View Post
    Technically the last major volcanic eruption was Krakatoa. Man Made?- I don't know. Possibly, that was the most recent time the environment/nature REALLY affected the CO2 levels/composition of the
    atmosphere.
    Perhaps you aren't aware, but volcanic eruptions cause a cooling, not a warming.
    Recent warming could partly be attributed to a lack of volcanic eruptions.


  10. #170
    i winz the *****s
    Epic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic Member
    dragon115's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Middlesbrough, UK
    Posts
    5,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chineesedogs View Post

    The name global warming is very misleading as it implies that the world is warming up. A more accurate term is climate change, which merely implies the worlds climate is changing-which it is. Please correct me if i'm wrong but i think britain will accually get colder or at least will get colder winters.
    if the current theories are believed ( and from evidence of the last few years it would point to them being right) Britain will rather than warming up or cooling down will go through Extreme whether patterns through the seasons, it will be hotter than usual in summer and colder in winter. this is regardless of what theory you believe on why the climate is changing


  11. #171
    Edidsvamipamp
    Guest

    Default Global Warming

    No. Global warming doesnt raise temperatures up much, it is more of a gradual accumulation isnt it?

  12. #172
    i winz the *****s
    Epic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic Member
    dragon115's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Middlesbrough, UK
    Posts
    5,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edidsvamipamp View Post
    No. Global warming doesnt raise temperatures up much, it is more of a gradual accumulation isnt it?
    the global warming problem that is referred to is because the temperatures are supposedly rising at much higher levels than usual, usually it is a gradual slow rise and fall, recently some studies indicate that its been a much sharper increase


  13. #173
    Roman MemberRoman Member Lord Sauron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lowestoft, Gunton
    Posts
    460

    Default

    I ticked yes because global warming is happening naturally, and we are just speeding up. In about 1000 years the earth will be a barren wasteland and then, the earth will probably cool down. Like it has already happened 7 times throughout history.

    Thanks 2468hiyo for the fantastic sig!!!

  14. #174
    Spammer-in-chief Prolific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul Member Mouse-Keyboard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    4,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Water+ View Post
    Yes I posted this because of the conference in Copenhagen.
    That was ~1/2 years ago :p
    Join WvV Round 17:  Students versus Teachers!
    Read the colour of the words (not the words). Blue Red Orange Green Black Red Red Gray Purple Blue
    Count! - Steal a hill! - Do stuff! - Eat!

  15. #175

    Default

    So was the start of this thread!
    I need help, not ridicule!

  16. #176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
    So was the start of this thread!
    Interestingly, at the time this thread was first posted I definitely thought it was getting colder. But now, I get the strong impression that it's getting warmer again, just SIX MONTHS later. Can anybody explain this phenomena? Is it all the hot air being spouted as a result of the election debates maybe?

  17. #177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koolthekat View Post
    Interestingly, at the time this thread was first posted I definitely thought it was getting colder. But now, I get the strong impression that it's getting warmer again, just SIX MONTHS later. Can anybody explain this phenomena? Is it all the hot air being spouted as a result of the election debates maybe?
    I think you'll find it's the changing of the seasons, it happens every year.:p

  18. #178
    Self-professed Genius SummerMcLovin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,215

    Default Seasonal weather

    It's thing we have called summer, comes around every so often.

    EDIT

    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo666 View Post
    I think you'll find it's the changing of the seasons, it happens every year.:p
    ninja'd
    Last edited by SummerMcLovin; 14 May 2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: ninja'd

    Any opinions expressed on this forum are my own, as my position does not force me to say anything.
    If I didn't support the crew before, I wouldn't have joined them to support you and the domain.
    After going through my own posts, I see the only award I got runner-up for (Newcomer) doesn't even apply to me...

  19. #179

    Default

    yes, the need for a sarcasm font rears it's ugly head again......

  20. #180
    Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member VelvetThighs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    2,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishman View Post
    yes, the need for a sarcasm font rears it's ugly head again......
    The sarcasm was pretty glaring in normal font too...

    I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •