View Poll Results: Select Option 1. or Option 2.

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Love Britain

71 75.53%
  • I Hate Britain

23 24.47%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Hate Britain?

Quote Originally Posted by MLGJ View Post
    I think you've over analysed the gag there a bit.....bit like horses don't really go into pubs to be asked by the barman why the long face.
    I wanted to write something nasty but then I realised that you actually are a nice guy, and ended up with something mediocre.
    Last edited by MOD LMT; 11 Jun 2014 at 10:24 AM.

Dear Little Miss Trouble, please don't delete parts of my posts that were NOT abusive. I feel hurt by mercy who is bullying me here. There is nothing wrong with the word bully. If you don't like it, or if you are a mercy's friend and think that we can't criticise her, you may write here a list of your cronies.

Quote Originally Posted by mercy View Post
    Maybe Zeta thinks us non Londoners are stupid enough to think there actually are signs saying "you are now leaving London" just in case our poor brains aren't bright enough to realise it. Or maybe Londoners never leave London so they don't need signs telling them they have now left. Perhaps in their heads there is nothing outside London anyway so why would anyone ever want to leave? Alternatively, it could be that the non London sense of humour is so far removed from the London sense of humour that we just can't share jokes?
    I understood Zeta's comment as gently ribbing the difference between london itself and the surrounding area. Is that not the obvious interpretation?
    Last edited by Mickulty6; 11 Jun 2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: clarity of intent
    Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    I can be such a cow sometimes

There is a difference between ribbing and bullying. Imo if someone is not responding in kind, the ribbing/teasing is considered as bullying. She didn't stop there - there are her other notes about Londoners. I treat it as bullying not teasing or ribbing. If the mod can't see my right to call mercy's behaviour as bullying that's tough luck.
    Last edited by MOD LMT; 11 Jun 2014 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    we don't panic and drive at 20mph on the motorway, like I experienced on the M25 once
    20mph on the M25?
    You obviously came on a quiet day...

As for Londoners appearing to be unhelpful.... That's quite a sweeping generalisation. And I think it's a case of "if you don't ask, you don't get."
    Most people are only too happy to help. Much in the same way that most youths don't want to stab you.

I live in a dainty old county town, visit London regularly and have been to Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Bolton, Southampton, Cardiff and many places inbetween.
    Nowhere compares to London for me. It has everything you could ever want or need if you know where to look.

And Z.... You'll always be loved by the people that matter

The posts I removed/edited were personal insults and as such, have no place on the forum. Whilst some generalisations were made, they were not of a personal nature and therefore kept.
    i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii568/TravianComps/LMT.png

Clarification: Zeta's post after mine was probably intended as a response to mine, which pre-edit ('it' -> 'Zeta's comment') could have been taken as a defense of mercy's comments, which I in fact have no opinion on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevieus View Post
    20mph on the M25?
    You obviously came on a quiet day...

As for Londoners appearing to be unhelpful.... That's quite a sweeping generalisation. And I think it's a case of "if you don't ask, you don't get."
    Most people are only too happy to help. Much in the same way that most youths don't want to stab you.

I live in a dainty old county town, visit London regularly and have been to Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Bolton, Southampton, Cardiff and many places inbetween.
    Nowhere compares to London for me. It has everything you could ever want or need if you know where to look.

And Z.... You'll always be loved by the people that matter
    You always make me happy. Have a
    Love you lots

Quote Originally Posted by Mickulty6 View Post
    I understood Zeta's comment as gently ribbing the difference between london itself and the surrounding area. Is that not the obvious interpretation?
    Unfortunately no, I read it as a suggestion that people outside London might actually be thick enough to think you need a sign to say you are leaving London. Just goes to show how easy it is to misinterpret other people's remarks.

Zeta, I apologise if you think I was bullying you personally, that was certainly not the intention, it was just what I considered in my crass Northern way to be a bit of leg pulling between the North/South/London/not London divide. In actual fact, a lot of my family are Eastenders and I love them to bits. I did not intend that you would assume that I meant you personally every time I referred to Londoners in general.
    Last edited by mercy; 11 Jun 2014 at 09:57 PM.

I lived in Notting Hill and Acton and whilst Notting Hill is an attractive area, I wouldn't want to go back. There are aspects I like very much, including the architecture, but I felt that living in London was only ever 'existing' in a sub-par area for an extortionate amount for the benefit of the lifestyle that comes with the city, it never felt homely. The lifestyle, dirt, pollution and busyness of London as a city doesn't suit me. I pay a similar cost to live somewhere like Oxford and yet we get the countryside, architecture, green/clean city, and it's peaceful and quiet when it isn't student season. For me it is a better use of money for an alternate 'city experience'. All the same, I am glad to say that I have lived and breathed my country's capital city - everyone should get to do that.
    Uk1 armies: Round 2, Round 3, Round 5
    Uk2 armies: Round 2, Round 3, round 4
    Uk3 armies: Round 2
    Uk4 armies: Round 3
    Uk5 armies: Round 2, Round 3
    Uk6 armies: Round 2
    Ukx3 armies: Round 8, Round 9, Round 10, Round 11
    Ukx5 armies: Round 1

Mr Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MLGJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FA Avi View Post
    All the same, I am glad to say that I have lived and breathed my country's capital city - everyone should get to do that.
    and vice versa, maybe then there would be an understanding of the frustration people feel where the rest of the UK is under inches of snow and the news is a 25 mins report of how it rained for 3 mins in London and the disruption that caused.
    This post was brought to you by "Mr Fantastic"

Yayyyyy made it on to setbacks ignore list, can give it but not take it
    Let me guess, some kind of funny joke?
    This message is hidden because MLGJ is on your ignore list.

Where is my apology from MLGJ, for his insult on the forums? - URSULA THE MINOR
    In your dreams Sunshine xx

Quote Originally Posted by FA Avi View Post
    I pay a similar cost to live somewhere like Oxford
    I live in the north. I never thought I'd get the opportunity to be smug about how relatively cheap my usually extortionate on-campus student flat is.

and vice versa, maybe then there would be an understanding of the frustration people feel where the rest of the UK is under inches of snow and the news is a 25 mins report of how it rained for 3 mins in London and the disruption that caused.
    On the other hand, the population of London is higher than the population of Scotland...I imagine Yorkshire is gonna feel even more crowded out for the next four months between South-East news and Scottish independence news?

Cloud Strife

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member septimus ii's Avatar

You say that, but thus far I've seen very little coverage of the independence debates, considering how big a topic it is to Scotland and the rest of the UK

I thought there was no news outside of London? There is certainly no weather outside of London.

I think everyone is protective of the places they love. I like London as a city, I find it a challenging place to visit because so busy and I feel so out of place there.

I hate anywhere when it is busy though. I hate tourist season here when I can't go out on a Saturday because the roads are nose to tail with change-over traffic and I really hate the people who come onto my lovely beaches, that I have enjoyed with my dogs and kids all year round, and try to "claim" a section of it with their towels and wind breaks. No, that 4m square does not belong to you just because you put your blanket on it, and if my dogs run on your blanket and scatter sand over it, swearing at me isn't going to make me any happier about having to share my beach with you. Likewise, do not come to a dog friendly beach and expect to be able to play cricket with your children. If you want to play cricket, go and play it on a cricket pitch somewhere. My dogs are not intelligent enough to realise that you don't want to play ball with them. They also don't understand the rules of cricket. And finally, please understand that there is nothing so revolting as lighting up a BBQ and cooking sausages on a beach that is so busy it's standing room only. I realise you only have a week to appreciate it, and I get to use it all year round, but that doesn't mean you have to make it unpleasant for everyone while you are here.

Rant over

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha78 View Post
    On the other hand, the population of London is higher than the population of Scotland...I imagine Yorkshire is gonna feel even more crowded out for the next four months between South-East news and Scottish independence news?
    It's even better or worse:
    population of the North of England 14.5 mln
    population of London 8.3mln
    population of London metropolitan area 13.6mln
    Greater London Authority says that population in the London region (don't know what it means) is 21mln.

Mr Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MLGJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    It's even better or worse:
    population of the North of England 14.5 mln
    population of London 8.3mln
    population of London metropolitan area 13.6mln
    Greater London Authority says that population in the London region (don't know what it means) is 21mln.
    Which is why the whole HS2 proposal is a joke...it's not so Londoners can get to the north quicker but to suck more people into an already over populated area. Rather than spend £50 billion on a pointless project, spend that money to regenerate areas that have had industries destroyed for various reasons.
    This post was brought to you by "Mr Fantastic"

Yayyyyy made it on to setbacks ignore list, can give it but not take it
    Let me guess, some kind of funny joke?
    This message is hidden because MLGJ is on your ignore list.

Where is my apology from MLGJ, for his insult on the forums? - URSULA THE MINOR
    In your dreams Sunshine xx

Which is why the whole HS2 proposal is a joke...it's not so Londoners can get to the north quicker but to suck more people into an already over populated area. Rather than spend £50 billion on a pointless project, spend that money to regenerate areas that have had industries destroyed for various reasons.
    Meanwhile the entire south of England is on an antiquated third rail electrification system that inherently limits electric trains to 100mph.

Oh HS2 is definitely a waste for the benefit it delivers. A decent line from Oxford to Cambridge would be better and dealing with the congestion in the SE (given the relative densities); the transport in the regional cities I've been to were all pretty decent? Oh and flooding defences for Ryder!!

I would quite like some transport links of any kind. We did used to have an airport in Plymouth but it closed after a couple of people complained about the noise. We also had a railway, but most of it either got washed away, or spent considerable time under floodwater with Ryder.

I think Zeta's figures give even more reason why London must be the worst place in the world to live. After a long, hard day bullying teenagers, I got to come home and sit in my garden with a glass of chilled wine and no noise except birds. There is no better place in Britain than my garden on a sunny day. I am a lucky, lucky girl.

Industry in the UK doesn't exist any more does it? Didn't we close it all down in the 1980s in favour of focusing on becoming the Financial Capital of the World? Look how well that turned out for us!
    Last edited by mercy; 12 Jun 2014 at 08:00 PM.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast