Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table BB Code

Default Table BB Code

Table BB Code

Hello everyone,

Today we'd like to announce our table bb code on the UK forum. You may have seen the code used by users and staff during August, but I was reluctant to release it until a few further tweaks.

Our aim for the code was to create a table visually similar to the ones you see and use in-game, to keep in with the travian theme and allow you to recreate your own versions. There are many potential uses for this code which I will go into below.

There are ways to make these table codes more intricate with additional cell types and levels, but the key feedback we got from users we spoke to was 'simplicity' - a code which was easy to understand and use for anyone who wasn't html-literate.

If the table code becomes widely used, we can look to develop it further in the future to accommodate any extras you would like to see.

I hope you enjoy using this code, and please read below for a short introductory guide on potential uses and how to use it for the first time.

Avi

What can this code be used for?

There are no limits what the table code can be used for, but I've come up with a few ideas myself which I think you will enjoy.

Server Achievements
    This code can be used as part of your signature (as long as it doesn't exceed the height restrictions), and allows you to display your server achievements without hiding them behind a link. This could be anything from your offence rankings, alliance rankings, and so on. If you have a lot of rows, you can remove the [header] code to save space. Here is an example showing your best armies from past server rounds:

World Wonder Stats
    Now you only have to fill this table out once at the beginning, and everyone below you can simply quote your post, move the rows around, and change the ranks and levels of the WWs. You can even include links as if it were the real table in-game. Or add an extra column at the end to show the rises and drops in levels. No more restrictions to use screenshots and tinypic, much more flexibility.

Game Scoreboards
    If you're someone who frequents the Talk&Play section, or has started a predictions thread or games thread in a server section, now you can build a structured scoreboard for the game allowing you to add more information. Take Caption the Picture for an example:

Alliance Analysis
    Tables can be used to better present alliance analysis, and reduce the amount of pictures and loading time if tables had to be created another way. It makes the information clearer and easier to compare one alliance to another when all the information is side by side. Here is an example of an artefact table. Note, that you can make extra lines within a cell and it will expand to fit your information.

Guide Picture Annotation
    The table code also allows users who create guides to add additional information onto the sides of images. However this does require you to create your own lines; the cell won't automatically wrap text due to its setting to expand or contract to fit whatever you've put into it. The example below shows text given to the side of an image; this can also be done below the image.

General Lists
    As shown in the first example of server achievements, not only can you use the headers horizontally, you can also use them vertically down the left. Here is an example of a T&P list for gamers where the forum name is accentuated as a vertical header.

How to create a Table

This brief 'How To' guide will show you how to make a table like the one below. The same steps are easily adapted to create any of the tables in the above post too.

Table Structure

[Table]
    To begin your table, you need to create the structure first. Click on the Insert Table button and you will get the following code. This code must contain all other codes to do with the table, so everything you insert next must be within the brackets.

[table] <-here-> [/table]

[Row]
    Next, you need to add a row to your table. The row code is still part of the structure, so on its own, it won't look like anything until you insert the content below. Begin by adding your first row within the [table] brackets as below:

[table]
    [row] <-here-> [/r
    ow]
    [/table]

Table Content

[Header]
    Now for the content of your table, you have 2 settings. The [header] code allows you to insert a column header into your first row. This is different from a [cell] code because of the background appearance of the cell.

For example, if you were updating the WW levels on a thread - your headers would be these:

[table]
    [row][header]Rank[/header][header]Player[/header][header]World Wonder[/header][header]
    Alliance[/hea
    der][header]Level[/header][/row]
    [/table]

PHP Code:
    [table]
    [
    row][header][/header][header][/header][/row] <<
    [/
    table

[Cell]
    Next you will want to add cells, which contain the relevant information of your table. So add a 2nd row, and insert cells into it. The number of cells needs to be equal to the number of column headers. So if you have 5 headers, you will now need 5 cells.

For example, going by our previous headers, your cell content would now be:

[row][cell]1.[/cell][cell]madman123543[/cell][cell]Feed Me Seymour[/cell][cell]RWA WoW[/cell][cell]100[/cell][/row]

And this is inserted within the table tag, but below the first row.

PHP Code:
    [table]
    [
    row][header][/header][header][/header][/row]
    [
    row][cell][/cell][cell][/cell][/row] <<
    [/
    table
    Important

If you have created your table using the above method, you will need to rejoin all the codes in one long sentence once you've finished, or you will find a large gap above your table when you post it.

This means that if your coding looks like this:
    PHP Code:
    [table]
    [
    row][header][/header][header][/header][/row]
    [
    row][cell][/cell][cell][/cell][/row]
    [
    [
    [
    [/
    table
    You need to make it look like this:
    PHP Code:
    [table][row][header][/header][header][/header][/row][row][cell][/cell][cell][/cell][/row][row][cell][/cell][cell][/cell][/row][row][cell][/cell][cell][/cell][/row][row][cell][/cell][cell][/cell][/row][/table

Brilliant, I wondered what happened with this, it is certainly very easy now
    'If you can't walk, you crawl, and if you can't do that, you get someone to carry you'

Forum Rules
    | My dA Gallery

DoctorHb Prolific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian Member

Ooh pretty tables It's going to take a while for me to get my head around this, looks complicated.

A blue-black shade of love, sent from above.
    My hands are tied, two worlds alone, and this I know.
    <3

Active MemberActive MemberActive Member blazing bob's Avatar

Looks really useful - although I probably won't use it much
    ~-~ I believe whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger ~-~

[21:11:42] Mark: If that's what you kids are calling it nowadays, then yes, me and your father will be "paying taxes"

Fantastic stuff

Warning - irritant!

Epic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic Member Purplejelly86's Avatar

Looks really good And now i know how to use them at last

Avi, my love for you keeps on growing.
    Last edited by 93ross; 16 Sep 2010 at 07:28 PM.

Awesome job Avi.

I'm going to improve quality of my gaul guide using these tables

Warning - irritant!

Epic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic Member Purplejelly86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaahi View Post
    Awesome job Avi.

I'm going to improve quality of my gaul guide using these tables
    Quality? You havn't even finished it yet and its been atleast a week.. :p

Edit - http://archive.forum.travian.co.uk/s...5&postcount=37 Works nicely

Glad you like it so far. If you'd like to experiment with the code, feel free to play with it in this thread

And any problems, link me to your post and I will see what's gone wrong and sort it out.

Spammer-in-chief Prolific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul Member Mouse-Keyboard's Avatar

Join WvV Round 17:  Students versus Teachers!
    Read the colour of the words (not the words). Blue Red Orange Green Black Red Red Gray Purple Blue
    Count! - Steal a hill! - Do stuff! - Eat!

The Red Rem Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member elmoga's Avatar

It's beastly avi ^^

ski

great job avi

loving the forge

Spammer-in-chief Prolific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul Member Mouse-Keyboard's Avatar

*Is hopeful about marquee text/adjustment of 60 second rule*
    Join WvV Round 17:  Students versus Teachers!
    Read the colour of the words (not the words). Blue Red Orange Green Black Red Red Gray Purple Blue
    Count! - Steal a hill! - Do stuff! - Eat!

Carto-geek Roman MemberRoman Member Fhuaran's Avatar

Brilliantly well done!! Great Idea.

The extra three come from the thread prefix change.

they call me superman
    i'm here to rescue you

Very nice

That would have taken me at least two weeks of intensive work to get done :p I like the examples :thumb:

On a related note,

Last edited by Andi; 14 Sep 2010 at 10:07 PM.
    GTB - Eeyore, Arwen&Elrond, Rotta The Hutt, Tussi | City something - Eddard Stark| UV - New Deli, Bane| T-rex - Maida- All on ukx.
    Now playing on Tea and Cake in GTB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast