View Poll Results: Who will win the Ashes?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • England

17 56.67%
  • Australia

2 6.67%
  • It'll be a draw.

1 3.33%
  • Cricket? Eugh!

10 33.33%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ashes 2010-11

Yeah well bowled Aussie, Johnson did excellently. If you like cricket, have a go at the new game 'Guess the cricket player', it's quite interesting :p

I looked at it, I'm terrible with faces though... I got the first three, but the last one I saw no idea!
    Plus I'd have to work out how to find/post pictures lol

Yeah no-one can get Amalgon's :p

I did, but it was a wild guess lol

Hehe maybe a bit of a clue to your's? First name possibly?

I thought mine was quite easy, what with it being the ashes and all lol

Smexy Ninja Dude Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elborg View Post
    Yes, not much excuse for the batting, Bell excused of course.
    However, Johnson aside - and Johnson only when on song- there is not a huge threat from the Aussie bowlers. Swann will also be more use on the rest of the pitches this series.
    Batting in form, bowling going well, fielding outstanding. Not too much to worry about.
    Anyway, it wouldn't be England without at least one horrible match per series.
    Having said that, well played Hussey and Johnson.
    Well Harris looks good too, but in general the Aussie attack is a shadow of what it was. Will be up to the batsmen next game to try and recover from this setback and not let it dent their confidence and form. The most worrying thing is the fact that the Aussies are already changing pitches for the next games and trying to set up more of the same, and just take Swann out of the equation, which is bad news since he's our trump card.

For me the key points are recovering confidence and letting the Aussies get back on top, stop bowling filth to Hussey, and if the pitches spin or not. I think we need at least two of those three going our way to win the series.

Harris is a good third seamer, just not top quality. I can't see him opening the bowling for any country with a good pace attack. NZ maybe???
    I would be surprised if the confidence has gone though. They have done better than they expected up to now, Strauss and Flowers are very level headed.
    Not too worried by the pitches either, you can't change them that much!
    Also, I suspect Johnson will not be as effective with bat or ball in the remaining matches.

Well worth staying up for.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stevieus View Post
    Well worth staying up for.....
    It was pretty smexy
    You found me!

Nemo iudex in causa sua

"Australia trail by 404 runs"

Comeback not found.

Done and done. Looks like my pre-test prediction of a ton for Bell isn't going to happen though

Quote Originally Posted by Elborg View Post
    Done and done. Looks like my pre-test prediction of a ton for Bell isn't going to happen though
    He just got one although through suspect means.

Looks like we've got this last one in a hammerlock too so 3-1 is fav now.

Roll on the world cup.
    http://forum.travian.co.uk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8506&dateline=1263443231

Classic hammer bangarang, damn that was hard to feed

http://travian-reports.net/us/report/6380120797e

Smexy Ninja Dude Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member

What does everyone think of the Bell incident? To me he genuinely seemed to not know whether he'd nicked it or not, but loads of other people seem to want to brand the word cheat on his forehead and string him up.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyNinja View Post
    What does everyone think of the Bell incident? To me he genuinely seemed to not know whether he'd nicked it or not, but loads of other people seem to want to brand the word cheat on his forehead and string him up.
    Have you ever actually nicked a ball and not known it? I mean seriously not felt it at all? In all my years I've never come across anyone in any form of cricket who has caught the edge and not known it. Plus I've never heard of anyone who said they weren't sure if they nicked it or not.

The batsman is the player who ALWAYS knows if they've nicked the ball of not. You can feel it happen no matter how light the touch and you know if you've missed it too because you don't feel a thing. Simples. Either you know you nicked it or you know you didn't.

All this 'I wasn't sure' business is bull, it's just gamesmanship. Saying that though he's not a cheat because he hasn't broken any rules but given I believe in walking when you know you're gone he's not exactly a shining example of honesty.
    http://forum.travian.co.uk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8506&dateline=1263443231

DoctorHb Prolific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian Member

There have been times where i've stubbed the bat into the ground as i've hit the ball or it's brushed my pads. It's given me doubt as to whether i've clipped it or not. Don't get me wrong; i'm not one to stay in if i'm out. My conscience wouldn't let me I'd like to think that if Bell clipped it and knew it, he'd do the right thing and walk.

A blue-black shade of love, sent from above.
    My hands are tied, two worlds alone, and this I know.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Second Heartbeat View Post
    There have been times where i've stubbed the bat into the ground as i've hit the ball or it's brushed my pads. It's given me doubt as to whether i've clipped it or not. Don't get me wrong; i'm not one to stay in if i'm out. My conscience wouldn't let me I'd like to think that if Bell clipped it and knew it, he'd do the right thing and walk.
    OK then in all my years I've now encountered ONE person who can't tell if they've hit the ball or a part of their body

weirdo

even Boycs said that if you say you're not sure then you know you did.
    besides Bell didn't hit the pad or the ground.

but anyway

Colly has hung up his test pads. Kind of sad that such a great servant of England should bow out on a whimper but I'll always remember the number of times he came in when the house of cards was folding inwards and he ground out a dirty, ugly 50 to hold the rearguard together and save the match.

That and the fact he's one of the safest pair of hands in the world.

DoctorHb Prolific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian Member

C-c-colly ? H-h-he's leaving us? I don't like change

However, I am a Durham supporter, so it'd be nice to get to see him playing at County level more. He'll be sorely missed

<3

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    Have you ever actually nicked a ball and not known it? I mean seriously not felt it at all? In all my years I've never come across anyone in any form of cricket who has caught the edge and not known it. Plus I've never heard of anyone who said they weren't sure if they nicked it or not.

The batsman is the player who ALWAYS knows if they've nicked the ball of not. You can feel it happen no matter how light the touch and you know if you've missed it too because you don't feel a thing. Simples. Either you know you nicked it or you know you didn't.

All this 'I wasn't sure' business is bull, it's just gamesmanship. Saying that though he's not a cheat because he hasn't broken any rules but given I believe in walking when you know you're gone he's not exactly a shining example of honesty.
    Well considering two ex-pro's in Nasser Hussein and Mike Atherton said that there are times you don't know if you've nicked it or not, in both a physical and mental way, I'm more inclined to believe them I'm afraid. And like SHB, there's been times where I've not known what's hit what, and I can think of one time just off the top of my head where the bowler and keeper were absolutely adamant I'd outside edged one, there was a slight noise but I'd felt apricot all. And when a ball has left nothing whatsoever on hotspot, and at any speed shows no vague deviation, in rotation or direction, I'm happy to believe the batsman hasn't felt anything. If Bell *knows* he's edged that, there's no chance he's going to be referring it on some random chance the technology goes in his favour, the idea of that to me is moronic.

And I'm gutted about Colly retiring, absolute legend.
    Last edited by MikeyNinja; 06 Jan 2011 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyNinja View Post
    And I'm gutted about Colly retiring, absolute legend.
    I think a shrine or a petition to get him back is the only answer!

Also, congrats to Prior on his century too. Nothing like twisting the dagger that little bit more ;D

<3

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast