Thread: FIFA

Default FIFA

This is going to sound very bitter but what an earth are they playing at? England get two votes with technically the best bid. Australia and the USA have the best bids for 2022 yet Qatar, a nation with no football pedigree, get it. Its beyond me. I guess corruption and money talks.

Russia? In 2018? I couldn't believe it when I first heard. I don't think they even qualified this year, what is the point giving it to them? Like you said, England definetely had best bid, but just a bit unfortunate

So no World cup in Europe for at least 20 years since the last, seems fair fifa
    You found me!

Nemo iudex in causa sua

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member Crannys's Avatar

Its the Qatar one that bugs me the most.

Fifa - Where shall I decide to put a world cup
    Bidding Countries - There is Australia and a past World Cup hoster bidding
    Fifa - Any one else?
    Bidding Countries - There is a place with no footballing quality, where it is 50 degrees hot and has no stadiums
    Fifa - PERFECT!

Its just politics to help keep Sepp in office next year by satisfying his only rival by allowing the rival his continent a World Cup and a huge amount of politics, not for the good of the sport

England to take over 2014?

It's been known for years that FIFA is corrupt.
    Russia fairly beating England...... Meh. Possible.
    Qatar coming in ahead of USA/Australia (after Qatar's bid had been the only one labelled "high risk")......... Stinks of oil money to me.

But as I said, FIFA corruption is old news. I can't be angry/sad/emotional about this.
    I didn't even want a world cup here. It would've just be another chance for us to show ourselves up. On our own turf.

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member VelvetThighs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hamsta View Post
    Russia? In 2018? I couldn't believe it when I first heard. I don't think they even qualified this year, what is the point giving it to them? Like you said, England definetely had best bid, but just a bit unfortunate
    They have never hosted the world cup, we have. I would have voted Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by D3moralizer View Post
    Most of the Russian bid is on Europe's border or in Europe.
    I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.

Smexy Ninja Dude Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetThighs View Post
    They have never hosted the world cup, we have. I would have voted Russia.
    That's a barely passable argument for Russia, but Qatar? Really?

Timor Leste has never hosted a world cup, probably got the same amount of Stadiums and fans too. 2026?

~epitome of grumpiness~ Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member Lucidity's Avatar
    In a sea of melancholy, surrounded by sharks of malcontent.

England didn't play the same game as Russia/Qatar. Does anyone actually believe they won fairly? Nah. England didn't line pockets so they didn't get the WC, simple as that imo.
    edited by admin due violation of the rules

Ex Moderator, Multihunter and Whistleblower

Warning - irritant!

Epic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic MemberEpic Member Purplejelly86's Avatar

Question, Where is Qatar? Id never even heard of till all this Fifa stuff.

Qatar, no football history, no real leagues, no good players, no fan base, no existing infrastructure, small population, some questionable human rights issues, summer temperatures close to 50 centigrade, but it does have a very very high GDP, one of the highest in the world. Seems an ideal place to host the biggest more important football tournament in the world.

I didnt think that FIFA could manage to still surprise me with their ineptitude, but they managed it.
    I need help, not ridicule!

It'll be interesting to see how Qatar's "no alcohol" law will work/is enforced, when a few hundred thousand football fans descend upon them......

It's just demoralising seeing as we were given assurance of at least five votes, seen as the motherland of football by that absolute noobhead Blatter, our bid was seen as outstanding and technically the best, our fans are the most passionate in the world, we have the best leagues in the world (championship is also a brilliant league), some of the best stadia, transport, facilities, hotels, many things to see and do yet this isn't enough.

It will be seen as sour grapes but its hard to think how this hasn't been a fix. Russia - need to build ALL their stadiums and their transport and hospitality is hardly up to scratch at all. That as well as playing near Siberia.

Qatar made me laugh a lot, purely because of how ridiculous it is. Between 40-50 degrees in the WC month and they somehow expect to air condition the stadiums!? Because that won't harm the environment or the Qatari people much will it? The population is just over a million with only 300k being native Qatari's. How do they expect to cope when FOUR MILLION supporters travel from around the world? No sightseeing for supporters spare times unless you love desert and due to it being an Islamic state, how do they expect to cope with the lager louts in their hundreds of thousands? That also with the threat of terrorism. Well planned Blatter.

UEFA and all the european countries need to do something urgently. England and Europe is the mainland and homeland of the beautiful game (despite Blatter's dig at saying China was, idiot) so surely it should be COMPULSORY to stage a WC in the continent at least once every two WC's? Personally i'd breakway from FIFA and try and persuade other countries to follow suit.

And in response to VelvetThighs, if San Marino had bidded, would you of given them the vote even though they are the most useless team in the planet just because they've never hosted before? Mexico and Germany have hosted twice since 1966 so i fail to see your point.

If anything, yesterday killed international football.

Quote Originally Posted by MinistryOfPars View Post
    How do they expect to cope when FOUR MILLION supporters travel from around the world?
    I'm not too sure they should be expecting that many, if the trouble South Africa had hosting and filling their stadiums is anything to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by D3moralizer View Post
    actually, the world cup before this one was hosted by germany and the one in 1998 was hosted by france, both within the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    actually, the world cup before this one was hosted by germany and the one in 1998 was hosted by france, both within the last 20 years.
    Yes, but now there's not going to be another one in Europe until at least 2026.

2006-2026=20 if my abacus is correct.

Quiet rightly so, but I think we've had our fair share Other places like oceania have'nt. I'm not too worried about us losing the bid, too much, because it does'nt really affect me and we've already had one and russia has'nt. Anyway, Russia is part of Europe, so its not from 2006 to 2026 (20 years) its from 2016 to 2026, which is 10 years (if my calculater is right):p
    Last edited by Tibs; 01 Jan 2011 at 05:11 PM.

Even if you can argue for the Russia bid, the Qatar one is just completely ridiculous, so much so that a FIFA official is now suggesting swopping it to a winter tournament to stop people dying of heat stroke. Maybe that ought to have been thought of before the vote.
    I need help, not ridicule!

Oh dear, oh dear.

If FIFA continue to juggle eggs in such a manner, one of them's bound to end up on their face....

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

I know very little about air bladder kicking nor who wastes their life organising such events, but even Tibetan monks know that the words "FIFA" and "corruption" are interchangeable.

And as for Russian and Qatar not being corrupt ? Every Mary Poppins wouldn't believe that.