Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Word of the Day

Default Favourite Word of the Day

Most days or weeks I have a word that keeps popping into my head. Either it stands out as slightly different today, its meaning is interesting or unusual or perhaps it just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Sometimes I've known the word for years and not used it much, other times I've seen it on a poster at the tube station, read it in a book or I've heard it on the TV.

This thread is for you to post your favourite word of the day and with it an explanation of what it means or the specific interpretation you're thinking of. Forum rules apply of course - nothing wholly inappropriate.

It's a great way of improving your vocabulary and widening the scope of words you're less likely to come across so I hope that any user, especially the writers in this section, will share some of their favourite words with the community every few days

Zodiac. Don't ask me why, I just think it's a pretty cool word to say.

Pernickety (Adjective)
    (comparative more pernickety, superlative most pernickety)

Meaning
    Fussy; paying undue attention to minor details; fastidious (chiefly UK)

Pronunciation
    (UK) IPA: /pɜː(ɹ)ˈnɪk.ɪ.ti/, /pɜː(ɹ)ˈnɪk.ə.ti/
    Rhymes: -ɪkɪti or Rhymes: -ɪkəti

Etymology
    Unknown

Phalanges...love that word.

DoctorHb Prolific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian MemberProlific Natarian Member

A word I use quite often I think*

Clutch

Definition - Doing well at something when the odds were stacked against you. You clutch the win from the jaws of defeat I guess?

"Oh man, you clutched that shot!"

Stoked

Definition - Being really happy about something or super excited to do something.

"I'm really stoked to get to see you soon "

*I know I did two words, but they were both in my head

A blue-black shade of love, sent from above.
    My hands are tied, two worlds alone, and this I know.
    <3

Can't think of anything right now, but I did put in a text that I was 'superstoked' () about something earlier so I'll just share Mark's.

Active MemberActive MemberActive Member mighty cheese's Avatar

Squaids.
    Itz srs bizness guys

No idea why but:
    Copious.
    Reading: The Aeneid, Iliad, Count of Monte Christo, Ivanhoe. Geeky? Deal with it.

Join travian

Finkleroy.

I haven't decided what it means yet, but it rolls off the tounge nicely.
    I'm currently using it in place of all adjectives, verbs and nouns in any situation that requires me to speak.

Contrary to the misguided rumour that I have a ridiculously oversized vocabulary, backed up by a pocket dictionary on a chain......

I rarely use words of more than five letters when speaking through my mouth, as opposed to my fingers
    Last edited by Stevieus; 05 Apr 2011 at 07:19 PM.

Inconsequential

Definition of Inconsequential

a: illogical
    b: irrelevant

of no significance : unimportant

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Epic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton Member commander's Avatar

Defenestration.

It is quite simply the act of throwing someone or something out of a window. Now that's pretty cool.

It originates from two incidents that happened in Prague many moons ago. 1419, seven town officials thrown from the town hall, sparking the Hussite War, and then 1618 two imperial governers were tossed from Prague Castle, sparking the Thirty Years War.

Also cool.
    Last edited by commander; 05 Apr 2011 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by commander View Post
    Defenestration.

It is quite simply the act of throwing someone or something out of a window. Now that's pretty cool.

It originates from two incidents that happened in Prague many moons ago. 1419, seven town officials thrown from the town hall, sparking the Hussite War, and then 1618 two imperial governers were tossed from Prague Castle, sparking the Thirty Years War.

Also cool.
    That's pretty epic.

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member Sleeping Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Pernickety (Adjective)
    (comparative more pernickety, superlative most pernickety)

Meaning
    Fussy; paying undue attention to minor details; fastidious (chiefly UK)

Pronunciation
    (UK) IPA: /pɜː(ɹ)ˈnɪk.ɪ.ti/, /pɜː(ɹ)ˈnɪk.ə.ti/
    Rhymes: -ɪkɪti or Rhymes: -ɪkəti

Etymology
    Unknown
    Avi

Sometimes wikipedia and also OED are very very lazy

Per - means complete or completely
    Nick or nickety means precise - as in the placing of a nick to mark the precise measurement of something OR someone who studies or looks for a nick as a sign of damage or measurement

Literally it means/meant someone who pays complete attention to the smallest mark hence fastidious

Pernicky has the same root as pernickety but the origins are from carpentry and tailoring and also from tapestry making and go further back than the pernicky reference's in OED - at least one reference in the designs of the Coutres tapestries in 14th C mentions the patron as being "pernice" par example.

Hope that is helpful

I cannot thank Anonymous the Third enough for her beautiful picture of me asleep which is now my Avatar. With all my love to my many friends on the forum and a special thanks to Anonymous for her rare and gifted talent.

Sleeping Dragon

Epic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton Member commander's Avatar

Zephyr.

A light breeze or similar.

Sounds cool.

Totally does.
    The word I used today the most was
    N00b!
    Reading: The Aeneid, Iliad, Count of Monte Christo, Ivanhoe. Geeky? Deal with it.

Join travian

Peace ☮ Love ♥ Rawr Prolific Teuton MemberProlific Teuton MemberProlific Teuton MemberProlific Teuton MemberProlific Teuton Member Cryos's Avatar

o·ver·zeal·ous
    Excessively enthusiastic:

BLOB!

Onomatopoeia ftw!

The words I use most on site are unpublishable here. But the word that always makes me happy and sticks in my mind is "Paycheck" no need to describe what that means!!
    "Some of the biggest challenges in relationships come from the fact that most people enter a relationship in order to get something. They're trying to find someone who's going to make them feel good. In reality, the only way a relationship will last is if you see your relationship as a place that you go to give, and not a place that you go to take."

*confesses to owning an etymological dictionary*

I dont get that excited by English words though lol; French idioms are a different matter... One of my favourites is 'avoir des fourmis' which literally means 'to have ants' but it is also the French equivalent of 'to have pins and needles'

I'd fully recommend subscribing to http://wordsmith.org/words/today.html for word geeks too

Anonymous the third

mumbles .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast