Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuff possibly worth watching on TV

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member PinkFairyKing's Avatar

I have to wait till friday!

The other kinda now watching thread was older than this one so I'm doing it here cos it was too important not to mention....

Quantum Leap is now on Netflix

Currently on channel 5+1, Greatest Kids TV Shows. Some of them I've never heard of or seen, but for a trip down memory lane it is worth a watch.
    i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii568/TravianComps/LMT.png

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

I feel I would be letting humanity down if I didn't persuade at least one other person to watch this

A Single Man (2009)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1315981/

"An English professor, one year after the sudden death of his boyfriend, is unable to cope with his typical days in 1960s Los Angeles"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Single_Man

Now it sounds like it's too much effort to watch, but you'd be missing one of the best performances by Colin Firth I've ever seen, he is a thing of beauty to watch. (+BAFTA Best leading actor).

My other favourite thing is a director who can craft a precise film, every scene is like a painting and full of little touches that need a second viewing to appreciate.

The location is a slightly surreal 60's American suburb, the costumes are as dorky as expected and that odd feeling of isolation, banality and socially ordered life.

Tom Ford was originally working for Gucci so people would probably be a bit sniffy that he's tried his hand at directing a film, but he has just supremely stomped over a hill of better known directors with this film. The soundtrack is pretty good if you happen to notice that kind of thing.

Now it is a bit slow and as downbeat as you might expect given the plot, but if you appreciate films for the craft involved and not just for the explosions and the B-grade slatterns with their fudge like acting, then this will be something to appreciate.

Plus, when am I ever wrong about films ?

It's on iPlayer right now, so you maybe only have a day or so left to watch it so don't procrastinate.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...3/a-single-man

Amazingly, the Hurt Locker won best film in 2010 and not this ?
    Did anyone watch that celluloid cow pat and give the merest fluff if he died or not ? What a total bore it was.

I'd already seen it horse :p (and I agree that Colin Firth was simply excellent)

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    Plus, when am I ever wrong about films ?
    Never. You omitted to mention Julianne Moore though.

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Never. You omitted to mention Julianne Moore though.
    I wasn't sure what to say about her ._.
    Yes she played the role well but I didn't feel it added much to the film, other than to highlight a choice - drift into a 50-something self pitying alcoholic or rediscover the ability to love something other than yourself.
    Actually I just don't like seeing the reality of that character, never mind a fictional version.

She always plays a strange emotional woman but I love her, especially in Hours.

Up in the air
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1193138/

Now I don't really rate George Clooney, but in this film he's suddenly discovered he's being paid to be an actor and not just George Clooney.

The writing in this film is really rather good, it's rare that I remember any dialogue from anything. No point quoting anything as you'd need to see the film.

Alas iPlayer have just binned it, so you'll have to find it on whatever distribution method is in vogue these days.

OK, back to the original thread (with no sign of the idiotic updated feature being turned off though, bah)

Our Girl
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...0-minute-recap

EastEnders girl joins the army as a Medic and gets posted to Afghanistan(?),
    jolly japes ensue.

Lacey Turner is rather good at this sort of role.

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member PinkFairyKing's Avatar

Did anyone watch the driver?

The Black Balloon [2008]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0865297/

Teenage high school in Australia, boy meets girl, boy has an autistic brother who runs around in his underpants wearing a monkey hat. Awkwardness.

Actually I got part way through this film and felt like stopping, because I find it really hard just watching someone with severe autism, and I kinda thought it was going to be one of those well meaning slushy feel good dramas that only Americans love.

But the film depicts Charlie's condition with convincing detail (the director has two autistic brothers), from playing in his poo to chewing tampons.

Luke Ford was outstanding in this role, his portrayal of the mannerisms and speech inflections involved was completely believable and it wasn't until the film was half over that it occurred to me he was acting, I did actually sit there and wonder how they got someone with ADD to talk...

Gemma Ward makes a solid go at playing Thomas' girlfriend and she did make the film worth sticking with, if only to sit in wonder at her widely spaced eyes.

And it's worth noting just how awful the Australian school uniform is, even on someone whose other career includes being a Vogue cover girl.

She is painfully attractive though, which makes Thomas' embarrassment with his brother even more pointed as Charlie lurches from one cringe-worthy drama to the next.

The film appears to be a school topic for Australian children as I've noticed a few teachers notes on the web, and it does make a interesting but difficult subject for discussion.

This was on iPlayer, but they have just dropped it to make way for another creepy Fred Astaire film.
    Ugh that man makes me shiver
    Last edited by horse; 18 Oct 2014 at 02:49 PM.

I'll look out for that one. I started watching the Misfits on Netflix with my Autistic son. He did ask some interesting questions that I had to dodge around. But then, he just asked an interesting question I had to dodge around while we are watching Big School. Some innuendo is beyond explanation to a 16 year old autistic boy. Most 16 year olds these days seem to know far more than is good for them, but normal teenagers have the sense to go and look it up on the net or ask their friends rather than their mum!

Our Girl
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...0-minute-recap

EastEnders girl joins the army as a Medic and gets posted to Afghanistan(?),
    jolly japes ensue.
    I now have the gleeful compulsion to use the words "bell-end" and "cockwomble" in conversation,
    but I need to find someone who has also watched the above (for context).

Quote Originally Posted by mercy View Post
    but normal teenagers have the sense to go and look it up on the net or ask their friends rather than their mum!
    I refused to believe anything until I was 18, but after that even mind bleach didn't help me sleep
    Animal wildlife programmes really should come with an advisory :|

I know two guys who are high functioning, both have capabilities which differ from first impressions.
    I believe we should rethink how we manage employment for people with this condition, erratic and socially confusing behaviour is never catered for but really isn't insurmountable.

Insufferable ignorant jobsworths working at unemployment offices really need some basic training as a first step, expecting these people to jump through the same fatuous clown hoops as the rest of us, when attempting to comply directly causes them massive amounts of anxiety is clearly abusive.
    This is the 21st century, we should understand this better.
    Last edited by horse; 18 Oct 2014 at 02:57 PM.

I now have the gleeful compulsion to use the words "bell-end" and "cockwomble" in conversation,
    but I need to find someone who has also watched the above (for context).

I refused to believe anything until I was 18, but after that even mind bleach didn't help me sleep
    Animal wildlife programmes really should come with an advisory :|

I know two guys who are high functioning, both have capabilities which differ from first impressions.
    I believe we should rethink how we manage employment for people with this condition, erratic and socially confusing behaviour is never catered for but really isn't insurmountable.

Insufferable ignorant jobsworths working at unemployment offices really need some basic training as a first step, expecting these people to jump through the same fatuous clown hoops as the rest of us, when attempting to comply directly causes them massive amounts of anxiety is clearly abusive.
    This is the 21st century, we should understand this better.
    California - probably by luck rather than design seems to get it. A lot of the tech firms are built or depend on those somewhere on the spectrum. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/germ...tism-1.1355048 was an interesting development

The Kitchen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...chen-episode-1

Documentary series which follows eight very different households in their kitchens, capturing the spirit of life in Britain.

What makes this for me are the children's determined efforts to embarrass their respective parents,
    and the Sikh(?) family which I thought might have been a bit reticent, are hilarious.

Some lovely kitchens to gawp at too.

Oh dear, boy pouring meat juices down the sink, I hope his mother wasn't watching.
    Last edited by horse; 19 Oct 2014 at 08:04 PM.

I havnt seen that advertised anywhere Horse... Which channel / which day is it on?

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFairyKing View Post
    I havnt seen that advertised anywhere Horse... Which channel / which day is it on?
    A link to the first episode is in the post

show site
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04lc6m5

Next episode is tomorrow 21:00
    BBC Two

Oh right yeah, 2 episodes have aired and the third is tomorrow? I will set it to record now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12