Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Portuguese Football

  1. #1
    Henrikus
    Guest

    Default Portuguese Football

    What do you think about the Portuguese Football ?
    Did you know any Portuguese player ? You maybe know how is Cristiano Ronaldo (R.Madrid, ex-Man.United) , Nani (Man.United), Raul Meireles (Liverpool) and many others (I think...)
    And you probably know also some Portuguese teams like Benfica (S.L.Benfica), F.C.Porto (Oporto), Sporting and S.C.Braga.
    This year portuguese teams have made a good season in Europe, like you probably know FCPorto won the UEFA Europa League and he defeated SCBraga in the final (yes the 2 finalists are portuguese teams !) and SCBraga have already defeated SLBenfica in the "Half-Final" (so in 4 teams , 3 are portuguese ...the other one is Villareal from Spain that have lost with FCPorto (FCP 5 - 1 Villareal and Villareal 3 - 2 FCPorto) and the best striker of Europa League is Falcao with 17 goals (he is know the best striker ever of the Europa League - UEFA Cup, the second place is for Klinsmann) , Porto also beat other 2 Records. 1 - Is the team with more goals scored in a European Competicion (37 goals against 35 of Real Madrid in 2002) ; 2 - It is the team that got the most wins in the same year in European competition (14 vitories against 13 of Barcelona).

    For this FCPorto coach went to Chelsea (Andre Villas-Boas).
    But you also know another Portuguese coach...he is José Mourinho (he also won UEFA CUP with FCPorto and Champions League with FCPorto and Internazionale (Inter))

    Other portuguese famous players:
    - Eusébio, Luís Figo, Rui Costa, Paulo Futre, Vitor Baia, Fernando Gomes, Pauleta.

  2. #2
    Stevieus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    2,055

    Default

    So..... Where are you from?

  3. #3
    Active MemberActive MemberActive Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    614

    Default

    England....oh wait...you mean him don't you...

    At a guess. Romania.

  4. #4
    Henrikus
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Singalong View Post
    England....oh wait...you mean him don't you...

    At a guess. Romania.
    OFF-TOPIC: Romania , no.
    I'm Portuguese ("Eu sou português") !

    ON: But what do you think about Portuguese Football Players and Portuguese Teams ?

  5. #5

    Default

    since it's on topic. I think Mourinho lost a lot of respect from a lot of people from his eye gouging incident against Barca. Honestly; the move to Madrid has been the worst move of his career.

    Quaresma was such a disappointment after such promise. Deco couldn't hack it in the Premier League. Ronaldo has said he would consider a move to Man City, proving that he cares about nothing but himself and his money. Nani looks like a decent player...at last. Moutinho will move to Chelsea to replace Lampard but I bet he won't be as good.
    Meriles is quality at Liverpool but won't get as much games as he should...a move to Arsenal would be good for all parties involved.

    That's all I have to say on the matter.

    What do you think of Irish football? I don't mean soccer but Gaelic football.

  6. #6
    Henrikus
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justcheckin View Post
    since it's on topic. I think Mourinho lost a lot of respect from a lot of people from his eye gouging incident against Barca. Honestly; the move to Madrid has been the worst move of his career.

    Quaresma was such a disappointment after such promise. Deco couldn't hack it in the Premier League. Ronaldo has said he would consider a move to Man City, proving that he cares about nothing but himself and his money. Nani looks like a decent player...at last. Moutinho will move to Chelsea to replace Lampard but I bet he won't be as good.
    Meriles is quality at Liverpool but won't get as much games as he should...a move to Arsenal would be good for all parties involved.

    That's all I have to say on the matter.

    What do you think of Irish football? I don't mean soccer but Gaelic football.
    Oh man ! You know a lot about portuguese football players (offcourse you know how is Eusebio, Rui Costa and Figo !) And if you are Irish probably have seen FCPorto and SCBraga in Dublin for the Europa League Final (or you're watching the queen ?)

    Gaelic Football...I think its Football+Rugby it's a mix of both.

    PS: Meireles is going to Arsenal, really ?

  7. #7
    Epic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton Member commander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a hole.
    Posts
    6,351

    Default

    So basically, Portugese teams havn't been good enough to get into the champions league at large, and can only dominate a sub standard european competition?

  8. #8
    Active MemberActive MemberActive Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Nah...they are good enough to get in, but then they normally finish third in the group stages.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrikus View Post
    Oh man ! You know a lot about portuguese football players (offcourse you know how is Eusebio, Rui Costa and Figo !) And if you are Irish probably have seen FCPorto and SCBraga in Dublin for the Europa League Final (or you're watching the queen ?)

    Gaelic Football...I think its Football+Rugby it's a mix of both.

    PS: Meireles is going to Arsenal, really ?
    Aye; I saw the Europa League final. Always expected Porto to win.

    Meireles isn't going to Arsenal; I just think it would be a good move if he did.

  10. #10
    Henrikus
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by commander View Post
    So basically, Portugese teams havn't been good enough to get into the champions league at large, and can only dominate a sub standard european competition?
    Last season if FCPorto have been in Champions League possible he have going into half-final or final. Last season we have a excelent that can (perhaps) beat R.Madrid, but now we have already lost our coach (Andre Villas-Boas to Chelsea) and or best striker/forward (and maybe best player).

    But I think that FCPorto can go into 1/8 Final or 1/4 Final.

    FCPorto team:

    Guarda-redes
    01 Hélton
    31 Kieszek
    "" Bracalli*

    Defenders:
    3 Alex Sandro*
    4 Maicon
    5 Álvaro Pereira
    13 Fucile
    14 Rolando
    15 Rafa
    16 Sereno
    21 Săpunaru
    30 Otamendi
    3 Danilo*
    22 Mangala*

    Middle-fielders:
    6 Guarín
    7 Belluschi
    8 Moutinho
    19 James
    20 Iturbe*
    23 Souza
    25 Fernando
    27 Djalma*
    35 Defour*

    Forwards:
    10 Cristian Rodríguez
    11 Kléber*
    12 Hulk
    17 Varela
    18 Walter

    Coach: Vítor Pereira*

    *New player/coach

  11. #11
    Sk8er Boi D3moralizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,084

    Default

    If the Portugese league is so amazing why do so few of the top portugese players play there? To me it's like a glorified Scottish league, I'd be shocked if Porto or Benfica didn't win and Sporting and Braga 3rd and 4th and after 4th there is a reason we haven't really heard of them.

    Don't get me wrong there are some very good Portugese players, just they realized the league is not competitive really and moved abroad.
    You found me!



    Nemo iudex in causa sua


  12. #12
    Active MemberActive MemberActive Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrikus View Post
    But I think that FCPorto can go into 1/8 Final or 1/4 Final.
    They will get out of the group, probably scraping by. They have Shakhtar and Zenit who I think could give them a lot of problems but they should walk over Apoel Nicosia. It all depends on their draw from then on. If they draw some of the big guns...Barca, Real, United etc I think they will get knocked out.

  13. #13
    Stevieus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    2,055

    Default

    So where do they play this Portuguese football then?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •