Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movie Chat Thread

What about Taken 3 - I watched the trailer. They even managed to squeeze in that line.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2446042/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I will end up watching it though, Liam Neeson; dependable actor.

He was really good in 'The grey'

Ardente Veritate Honoured Gaul MemberHonoured Gaul MemberHonoured Gaul MemberHonoured Gaul Member Keiji_Maeda's Avatar

Interstellar.

Saw this film today and it ticked all my boxes. I'm still reeling over how powerful some of the moments were. Of course, there are definitely a few 'Nolan' twists in there. The score is absolutely fantastic and is used to great effect also.

This line of the film really struck a chord with me:

'We used to look up at the sky and wonder at our place in the stars, now we just look down and worry about our place in the dirt.'

This will possibly the first film that I will willingly go and pay to see a second time on the big screen.

Travian.co.za EX-Super Moderator. | Travian.co.uk EX-Super Moderator and Supporter | Travian.com.au EX-Super Moderator and Supporter
    Travian.pk EX-Forum Administrator

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

Dystopian future and emotional plot line, yep, boxes ticked for me also.
    From the trailers it looks like a step up in terms of imagining our future.

Nolan is however the stupidest name I have ever heard, no wonder he felt the desire to excell.

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

The Giver

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435651/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giver

Right from the start this felt like a film of a book, and it is. It is like say LotR where you know plot lines have been simplified and characters have been depicted in the most sketchy way possible.

Basic utopia, which is revealed by steps to actually be a dystopia. It all looks a bit like Sweden I think.

Same pattern as Divergent (reviewed above) where young peoples lives are defined for them by elders. In fact also same the ideas presented in Brave New World where a population's emotions are controlled by self administered medication, and in Fahrenheit 451 where knowledge of history is forbidden. They must be pretty strong drugs too because a lot of teenagers are crammed into 10 square kilometres of Ikea-ville yet nobody has jumped off the cliff.

It is perhaps aimed at younger podlings as the simplified dystopian tropes lack the wider references of other novels.
    Apparently in the 90's some Americans made an effort to get the book removed from libraries, I'm not sure whether they were experimenting with irony or really had nothing better to do.

Jeff Bridges is excellent but there is very little for him to do, along with Meryl Streep whose pinkie finger could have carried the film while she slept. Regrettably all the screen time is given over to the younger cast.

Odeya Rush is pouty-pretty but lacks even basic charisma, her comment after been chastely kissed by Brenton Thwaites was "what was that?", and it was so stilted I kinda wondered the same thing.

Katie Holmes is probably a Stepford robot and Tom Cruise forgot to mention it.
    Taylor Swift makes an appearance which I didn't realise until I read the cast list.

I'm pretty sure the books are a much better experience than the film, although as it is part of a quartet the really (really) stupid ending may be overlooked. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MOD Feenix888 View Post
    What about Taken 3 - I watched the trailer. They even managed to squeeze in that line.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2446042/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I will end up watching it though, Liam Neeson; dependable actor.

He was really good in 'The grey'
    I've seen Taken 3 last weekend. I think it was pretty good. Not blockbuster good but just ordinary good. It was somewhat predictable but I still had fun watching it. I think my brother really enjoyed it since he went looking for parts 1 and 2 right after watching this. He hasn't since the first parts yet.

any 1 have seen american sniper 2014 ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12