Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Buy your way to victory

MemberMember

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha78 View Post
    Hmmmm, given the general lack of enthusiasm for end game from some of the most experienced players (having done it so often). Perhaps personally arranged tournaments could be an interesting way to go. I'm kinda surprised more aren't seen. You sometimes get alliances threatening to follow each other onto another server and destroy - but I can't recall it having been done particularly well...perhaps it is just too difficult with large groups; and you literally need to limit it to small groups of saying 1 - 5 players.

If you all agree to move out to a distant part of the map; the rest of the server would be most unlikely to interfere; so it really could be a lil mini war.
    http://archive.forum.travian.co.uk/showthread.php?71344-Grudge-Match-Accounts

Or somethingl ike that ^^?
    Ukx1 Oddyse
    Ukx2 -_-
    Ukx3 Mercenary
    Ukx5 Deviant
    Ukx6 What&Ever
    Ukx9 Envy
    Ukx10 I'm strange

Anonymous the third

Quote Originally Posted by The Analyst View Post
    Would be good if there was a server where you pay up front and are allocated an amount of gold for the server, you are not allowed to buy any more or receive any more by other means. All players would then be equal gold wise and winners would be determined by skill and activety levels. Having been no gold for 4 years, I joined S1 as a dual on an account that used gold. I can honestly say that it makes a huge difference that i could never hope to overcome by skill.
    Pizza is feeling very frustrated at no longer being able to post on a thread he started, he asked me to ask you if you felt your gold on S1 has contributed to your success there?

I replied that perhaps what you were trying to say is that Gold didn't necessarily increase your game playing skill, but does make it much easier to run and build an account. As one of the best non gold using players I have come across I, for one, value your opinion.

As far as t4 is concerned, the best non gold user I ever came across was on the Mrs Stick lol account on uk7. He used t4 to its full advantage, selling items he found on adventures on the auctions and converting to gold. By doing so, he managed to build a top pop and attacking account and built a hammer big enough to chief the hammer village of one of the top accounts and alliance leaders on the server and still have enough to send in on a WW. He made more than enough gold to pay for gold club and to run his account and didn't spend a single penny. Kudos to him, it can be done. A couple of times I have played a start game to see how long it would take me to "earn" enough gold to pay for gold club without buying any gold myself. It didn't take long, but it certainly made for a slower start game than it would have by buying gold club from day 1.

As a final point, some of the top players on any servers have other methods of getting to the top as well as heavy gold use. All strictly within the rules, but not necessarily in the spirit of the game. i.e. getting friends to set up accounts that they can farm, sitting those accounts and using troops there to clear farms or provide def, pushing resources from those accounts. All perfectly legit within standard limits, all designed to give one player the best start possible. Although Travian have the rule about an account being played "solely for the account holders benefit" it must be one of the hardest to enforce.

A Anonymous says Account should be played solely for the account holders benefit, luckily in last few years (2010 Sam tells me) pushing has become a lot harder as the rules are hard coded into the game (i.e. the game won't let you break them). It's also more fun to play the account for your benefit rather than as a farm account.
    Last edited by Lodi; 31 Mar 2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot :)

Yes - a bit like that oddyse But without the need for the set up of a dedicated server.

To avoid confusion further down the line... Mrs Stick lol .. was a gold user, but not a gold purchaser?

Mmmm, I mostly use gold to save time and effort :x So if you become over-reliant on gold you don't develop various skills; but using gold can't entirely paper over the cracks of a mediocre player. So for example, if you build mixed troops like off and def up to the wheat limit in every village - gold is never going to overcome that and magic you up a 100k army. But gold is a convenient way for those who can't spend all day in front of a PC to build villages quickly (rather than pressing buttons every 5 - 20 mins); or to re-balance resources instead of having to moving them between villages. But the other side of the line is then when gold users can create wheat from other resources.

Anonymous the third

To avoid confusion further down the line... Mrs Stick lol .. was a gold user, but not a gold purchaser?
    Trust you to be so pedantic Yes, he used gold but he didn't buy any.

Master Blaster

Players that come on the forum moaning and whining about other players using gold, implying that there bad players and only have decent accounts due to using gold should practice what they preach me thinks.....otherwise not only do you look whiny and whingey and making excuses for your own shortcomings you also look hypercritical to boot..........
    Last edited by Lodi; 31 Mar 2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Removed direct reference to player name

Anonymous the third

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJvPjelxxj0

I bought four artworks this server, naughty me! Just out of curiosity, how many have you bought? Betting your score is much better You even have your own self aggrandising video linked to your profile!

/me falls on the floor laughing
    Last edited by Anonymous the third; 31 Mar 2012 at 06:37 PM.

Ladies and Gentlemen

Please try and keep the personal insults, Ban discussion and in game usernames off the forum. If it continues in this thread i will close it. Please try and keep the arguments over if you can buy your way to victory.

Anonymous the third

Still waiting to hear a reply from Master Blaster about how many artworks he has used on ukx?

And I am not sure how to word this but I would also like an apology for untrue comments made earlier.

I can't believe this same old gold argument is still going on. I think others have summed it up already, gold can enhance the account of an already good player, but its a complete waste if a poor player buys a lot. I only use a small amount of gold (mainly for plus and 25% res bonus) and play solo, so I know up front that I can't possibly compete with four players on one account with high gold usage. So, I set my ambition accordingly and compete against those player in a similar way to me.

That's not to say I won't take on a top gold using player, this is always fun even if defeat is inevitable. After all, even if I just slow their progress down during a good fight this will hurt them far more than me as they have invested so much more than into the game in terms of money and time. If you band together with a few other players its easily possible to drive a top account to deletion - one major blow can cause players chasing a record to give up once the top slot looks lost.

As for master blaster et al, we have four very good players who have chosen to see how much they can achieve in one server by going all out from day one. Anyone else is free to do likewise, but its a huge investment to make if your unsure whether you're good enough to make it count. I say good luck to them, hope they break a few records as they certainly look to have put the effort in. As for all the knockers, you have one clear option - stop them if you can

I can't believe this same old gold argument is still going on. I think others have summed it up already, gold can enhance the account of an already good player, but its a complete waste if a poor player buys a lot. I only use a small amount of gold (mainly for plus and 25% res bonus) and play solo, so I know up front that I can't possibly compete with four players on one account with high gold usage. So, I set my ambition accordingly and compete against those player in a similar way to me.

That's not to say I won't take on a top gold using player, this is always fun even if defeat is inevitable. After all, even if I just slow their progress down during a good fight this will hurt them far more than me as they have invested so much more than into the game in terms of money and time. If you band together with a few other players its easily possible to drive a top account to deletion - one major blow can cause players chasing a record to give up once the top slot looks lost.

As for master blaster et al, we have four very good players who have chosen to see how much they can achieve in one server by going all out from day one. Anyone else is free to do likewise, but its a huge investment to make if your unsure whether you're good enough to make it count. I say good luck to them, hope they break a few records as they certainly look to have put the effort in. As for all the knockers, you have one clear option - stop them if you can
    Definitely the time when you wish the forum had a like button.

Quote Originally Posted by Brando475 View Post
    Definitely the time when you wish the forum had a like button.
    It's fine - I'd already 'liked' it on behalf of the balanced and quieter forum majority

Anonymous the third

It's fine - I'd already 'liked' it on behalf of the balanced and quieter forum majority
    The noisy unbalanced minority make it more fun to read though :p

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous the third View Post
    The noisy unbalanced minority make it more fun to read though :p
    yes, you do

After further posts which have broken the forum rules this thread is closed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234