Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crop-Lock Protection - Worst Idea Ever?

Ok fair enough but the update still sucks big time so what if a noob gets crop locked bet they won't do it next time if they play again
    The update was done at 8:30am I bet travian HQ was aware of this within an hour of the up date and 16 hours on there is still no clarification that is very poor from travian HQ Its the same old from them ignore it and it will go away more new mugs will join the game and we can get gold from them

I'm not having a go at you Chris you can only act on what you get from them

I'm afraid that if players "manoeuvre their villages into a dead end crop supply situation" then it is all part of the learning process. They need to learn from their mistake, work out what they did wrong and start again. That's the key to becoming a competent Trav player.

I have a modest Gaul start-up account on s6 approaching 100 pop, a few people out raiding and a comfortable + wheat production cushion to make the account manageable with a few short log-ins per day. And yet the game is now telling me "Wheat shortage: Upgrade a wheatfield first". Sorry but I'm not short of wheat. I know what I'm doing and I want to build something else.

I'm not resistant to change having adapted to the culture shock of T4 but this sort of ill thought-out nannying will really alienate experienced players.
    Last edited by Gillsman; 11 Apr 2012 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillsman View Post
    I'm afraid that if players "manoeuvre their villages into a dead end crop supply situation" then it is all part of the learning process. They need to learn from their mistake, work out what they did wrong and start again. That's the key to becoming a competent Trav player.

I have a modest Gaul start-up account on s6 approaching 100 pop, a few people out raiding and a comfortable + wheat production cushion to make the account manageable with a few short log-ins per day. And yet the game is now telling me "Wheat shortage: Upgrade a wheatfield first". Sorry but I'm not short of wheat. I know what I'm doing and I want to build something else.

I'm not resistant to change having adapted to the culture shock of T4 but this sort of ill thought-out nannying will really alienate experienced players.
    What he said.

This is utterly ridiculous.

I have a pop of 120ish, and wheat prod of 180.

It's making me upgrade a wheat field!!

Someone slap the genius that thought of this one.
    Last edited by MOD Sam; 11 Apr 2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: merged + language
    Unremarkable and mediocre.

Fact.

Team Lead Customer Service Travian Head Office

Right, I've got some more information on this now: What matters for the free crop is only the following: Wheat fields, grain mill, bakery and the number of inhabitants of a village. This does not include troops. So to make this very clear and to stamp out any false posts that have been made in this thread: For a ww village, only the above mentioned buildings are important for the anti-crop-lock protection. Having a negative production due to the number of troops defending that village will not mean that you can only upgrade a wheat field and nothing else before the crop production is back in the positive figures.

Finally, a couple of words about the number of threads and posts about the update yesterday. While I appreciate your comments, I think that it is wrong to simply slag things off before a) having them tested out or b) knowing how they actually work.
    <center><b>[COLOR="#000000"]D[/COLOR]on't let a bot ruin your game:</b>
    * 157439 troops have been deleted.
    * 8406 building levels have been deleted
    * 1344368 resources have been deleted
    <i>(recent example of a punishment for using externals)</i></center>
    <center>Questions about T4? Check our <a href="http://t4.answers.travian.co.uk/"><b>Answers page</b></a></center>

Gotta' be sneaky... Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member Jakeyyy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ADMIN Chrisvc View Post
    Right, I've got some more information on this now: What matters for the free crop is only the following: Wheat fields, grain mill, bakery and the number of inhabitants of a village. This does not include troops. So to make this very clear and to stamp out any false posts that have been made in this thread: For a ww village, only the above mentioned buildings are important for the anti-crop-lock protection. Having a negative production due to the number of troops defending that village will not mean that you can only upgrade a wheat field and nothing else before the crop production is back in the positive figures.

Finally, a couple of words about the number of threads and posts about the update yesterday. While I appreciate your comments, I think that it is wrong to simply slag things off before a) having them tested out or b) knowing how they actually work.
    Well thank you for getting things tidied up a bit for us.

Well, a bit of constructive criticism never hurt anybody

P.S. I'm just glad they learnt to spell Incoming to be honest...
    When you play the game of travian, you either win or you die.

I agree too
    my raiding is lost.. i play in many srvs and now almost all my midgame accounts (in .co.id, in uk, etc) stop progress cause I have +80 hero production, in some i have oasis +25% and min. -300 weat..
    really im thinking in deleting all those accounts and starting a new 1
    Last edited by itsnotquiteover; 11 Apr 2012 at 03:19 PM.

Active MemberActive MemberActive Member baldymorph's Avatar

Look at the mass confusion this caused and you wonder why so many people post. Really????

You should practice what you preach.

a) having them tested out - why don't HQ try out the updates first and COMMUNICATE them???
    b) knowing how they actually work - as above!

99% of the posts were from confused, angry customers. Yes PAYING customers. They are the people that you should be listening to before spouting more nonsense complaining about people posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha78 View Post
    baldy - you're a legend I can't think of anyone else with their own catchphrase on the forum
    Quote Originally Posted by C.G. View Post
    We can't afford to spare a single thread. Our mission is at a critical moment.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    What am I supposed to do with 14k rams now?? http://travian-reports.net/us/report/80720858091

Quote Originally Posted by baldymorph View Post
    Look at the mass confusion this caused and you wonder why so many people post. Really????

You should practice what you preach.

a) having them tested out - why don't HQ try out the updates first and COMMUNICATE them???
    b) knowing how they actually work - as above!

99% of the posts were from confused, angry customers. Yes PAYING customers. They are the people that you should be listening to before spouting more nonsense complaining about people posting.
    Well said baldymorph i couldn't have put that better my self :thumb:

I think that it is wrong to simply slag things off before a) having them tested out or b) knowing how they actually work.
    isnt that what beta testing is for? or do you just roll out these rubbish ideas that are ruining the game without actually asking the paying players? T4 SUCKS there is no other way of saying it, it is spoiling the game and driving away players
    you say try them out? you dont get a choice! some group get to make the choice for us, we have to live with their rubbish or hit the delete button! maybe if you gave us the choice? play on with this totally rubbish upgrade or delete and we will refund you what you invested so far plus 10%......
    Last edited by MOD Sam; 12 Apr 2012 at 02:38 AM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by wotson View Post
    isnt that what beta testing is for? or do you just roll out these rubbish ideas that are ruining the game without actually asking the paying players? T4 SUCKS there is no other way of saying it, it is spoiling the game and driving away players
    you say try them out? you dont get a choice! some group get to make the choice for us, we have to live with their rubbish or hit the delete button! maybe if you gave us the choice? play on with this totally rubbish upgrade or delete and we will refund you what you invested so far plus 10%......
    It is what testing is for. But making assumptions and conclusions after a new feature has been online for not even a day is not what can be called "testing". That is just "I don't like it, fullstop." I hope you can see what I mean here. I'm not going to enter into a discussion about T4 any longer. It's been here for over a year now and is running fairly smoothly.

Let me try and put this whole crop-lock prevention into a broader perspective, which many seem to not be aware of:

In the last months, we got a lot of messages from new players who got themselves crop-locked. Effectively, if you are a new player to the game, this ends your game, as you won't know what to do and without paying for the 25% production boost, the situation can hardly be resolved without money. We always find a way for these players if they contact us, but it might still draw them away from the game. This is not even speaking about those who just get crop-locked and leave the game without even contacting us. This new feature solves these problems. It will allow for new players to familiarise themselves with the game and play it, without a self-inducted "game over" appearing in their accounts. For the mid- and long-term bringing in and keeping new players is very important. Not only for TG, but also for everyone who plays the game.

On this forum, there are many threads about low player numbers on the servers. The anti-crop-lock feature is just one feature that can and will help to keep new players interested in the game for the reasons I've mentioned above.

I hope this makes sense and people can understand why this feature is quite helpful if not even needed. I'm sure none of today's experienced players would have started playing Travian if they had experienced a crop-lock game over situation just 2 or 3 days after they started their game. It just puts people off and they go looking for another game.
    Last edited by MOD Sam; 12 Apr 2012 at 03:06 AM. Reason: to reflect quote
    <center>Questions about T4? Check our <a href="http://t4.answers.travian.co.uk/"><b>Answers page</b></a></center>

Angelic

I'm sure none of today's experienced players would have started playing Travian if they had experienced a crop-lock game over situation just 2 or 3 days after they started their game. It just puts people off and they go looking for another game.
    I don't know,,, I'm still here and I spent my first round being catapulted and farmed *cry* Must be an oddity

As for the update, I don't know what the big problem is. All the players I've spoken to who had villages crop-locked because of the update found it pretty easy to solve. The main problem seems to stem from the dior translation of the update leading to confusion (and this isn't the only poorly explained update), added with update descriptions that come across as though they were written by someone who has no experience of actually playing the game. This makes it quite easy for us to lose faith in the people that are supposed to be making the game better for us so I think a lot of the moaning is well deserved. I've spoken to several people who agree with this opinion. The other T4 hate threads... *tiresome* ... They will die out soon
    ukx4, ukx7, ukx8 & ukx10 - wgn, wgn, wgn & wgn , ukx11 - emily , ukx12 - Milkyway , ukx13 - Smelly Romans , ukx14 - Ayra & illii
    s1,7 - Raving Cabbage

I don't think it's helpful or needed.

There are plenty of ways to get out of crop lock without using gold.

Raid
    Market place
    Use the forum to get help.

All this "feature" has done is further alienate long term experienced players.

It's a crock and has totally destroyed the start up of my s6 account.

can you elaborate, in detail please, the lengths to which this new feature was tested, and what was the general feedback.

Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by wgn View Post
    I don't know,,, I'm still here and I spent my first round being catapulted and farmed *cry* Must be an oddity

As for the update, I don't know what the big problem is. All the players I've spoken to who had villages crop-locked because of the update found it pretty easy to solve. The main problem seems to stem from the dior translation of the update leading to confusion (and this isn't the only poorly explained update), added with update descriptions that come across as though they were written by someone who has no experience of actually playing the game. This makes it quite easy for us to lose faith in the people that are supposed to be making the game better for us so I think a lot of the moaning is well deserved. I've spoken to several people who agree with this opinion. The other T4 hate threads... *tiresome* ... They will die out soon
    The log I posted was pretty much the version we have been given from our Developers, in English. I see it has caused problems with what was actually meant in that log, but hope we have by now cleared up most of them. Catapults is what will have happened to most of us in our first round But that's another player taking you out. I guess that's different to taking yourself out with the crop-lock.

Mr Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MLGJ's Avatar

When will you people learn it's all your fault, please stop trying to have a go at travian. I for one am sick of you blaming travian for their half donkey approach to implementing stuff, look in the mirror, if you didn't try and play the game you wouldn't run into these issues.

I'd personally like to thank chris for his usual high standard of customer service and brutal approach to us mere mortals, you sir are a legend.
    This post was brought to you by "Mr Fantastic"

Yayyyyy made it on to setbacks ignore list, can give it but not take it
    Let me guess, some kind of funny joke?
    This message is hidden because MLGJ is on your ignore list.

Where is my apology from MLGJ, for his insult on the forums? - URSULA THE MINOR
    In your dreams Sunshine xx

Angelic

Catapults is what will have happened to most of us in our first round But that's another player taking you out. I guess that's different to taking yourself out with the crop-lock.
    I believe that if there was something you could do wrong in the game, I did it wrong in that first round. I even had an account for each tribe not knowing the rules against multi-accounting.
    ukx4, ukx7, ukx8 & ukx10 - wgn, wgn, wgn & wgn , ukx11 - emily , ukx12 - Milkyway , ukx13 - Smelly Romans , ukx14 - Ayra & illii
    s1,7 - Raving Cabbage

Quote Originally Posted by MLGJ View Post
    When will you people learn it's all your fault, please stop trying to have a go at travian. I for one am sick of you blaming travian for their half donkey approach to implementing stuff, look in the mirror, if you didn't try and play the game you wouldn't run into these issues.

I'd personally like to thank chris for his usual high standard of customer service and brutal approach to us mere mortals, you sir are a legend.
    And you sir, now need to come clean my floor where I peed myself.

Still awaiting details of the beta testing.......

Fact.

In the last months, we got a lot of messages from new players who got themselves crop-locked. Effectively, if you are a new player to the game, this ends your game, as you won't know what to do and without paying for the 25% production boost,
    On this forum, there are many threads about low player numbers on the servers. The anti-crop-lock feature is just one feature that can and will help to keep new players interested in the game for the reasons I've mentioned above.

I hope this makes sense and people can understand why this feature is quite helpful if not even needed. I'm sure none of today's experienced players would have started playing Travian if they had experienced a crop-lock game over situation just 2 or 3 days after they started their game. It just puts people off and they go looking for another game.

well isnt that defeating the object? dont you want to them spend money and buy their way out of self imposed crop lock?

really if your stupid enough not to realise that in order to carry on, you need to feed your villages, hence why you get the message 'build another bloody wheat field dumbass!' you shoudnt play and your acount should be available to be farmed til it goes pop when you quit.

do us all a favour and make it a switchable option in the plus pack and let those of us who can play in neg wheat do so with out be hindered by a tweak you put in the game to keep the idiots here longer

you seem stuck on the ethos that all these t4 servers and idiot player help features are here to encourage new players, yet you do nothing to encourage the experienced player to stay? why is that? why is there only one 3.6? a much more skilful game that requires a brain to play well and not access to your parents credit card to by xp and keep your hero alive...

Its all well and good bringing in new features to keep the new players playing, if there wasnt new players the game would die out. When this is at the expense of the older, experienced players however i find it quite amusing. I know so many decent players that simply refuse to play T4. You may say T4 is running smoothly but what this actually translates to , is T4 is bringing travian more money and nothing else matters because its more laggy and buggy then it's ever been !

And it pays for our TV adverts....

Fact.

Is there a possible way that an option to switch the anti crop lock feature in our own personal account settings could be made?

That way new players who do not want to accidentally crop lock themselves would stay safe, and the more experienced players do not have to worry about being hindered by it.

Both parties would then be happy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast