Thread: Higgs boson finally discovered !

Default Higgs boson finally discovered !

Stephen Hawking already conceded that he lost his bet that the Higgs would never be discovered.

What are the implications to cosmology? Any spinoffs like atomic energy? Or is it just the satisfaction of knowing the standard model is correct?

"Wednesday’s announcement was also an impressive opening act for the Large Hadron Collider, the world’s biggest physics machine, which cost $10 billion to build and began operating only two years ago. It is still running at only half-power."

"The December signal was no fluke, the scientists said Wednesday. The new particle has a mass of about 125.3 billion electron volts, as measured by the CMS group, and 126 billion according to Atlas. Both groups said that the likelihood that their signal was a result of a chance fluctuation was less than one chance in 3.5 million, “five sigma,” which is the gold standard in physics for a discovery."

"Finding the missing boson was one of the main goals of the Large Hadron Collider. Both Dr. Heuer and Dr. Gianotti said they had not expected the search to succeed so quickly."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/sc...pagewanted=all

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THE ''GOD PARTICLE'' BEING DISCOVERED?

~epitome of grumpiness~ Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member Lucidity's Avatar
    In a sea of melancholy, surrounded by sharks of malcontent.

All I have to say is "take that atheists!"

edited by admin due violation of the rules

Ex Moderator, Multihunter and Whistleblower

I kinda don't understand the type of sarcasm in here :p Please clarify?

I think you will find that they have found evidence of what the scientists think that the Higgs will break down into not the actual particle.so if this was a murder it's much like saying that they have found the murderer when what they have actually found are his boot prints no real discovery but a nice lead to go on

Meh, what implications will it actually have in scientific research and development? All I want is something that will make Star Trek a reality...

Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    At the end of the day, I'm eating toast in my pyjamas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkest View Post
    If i buy you a double rum and coke are you going to come back to mine for intercourse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Travian_Bard View Post
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

Now it is such a bizarrely improbably coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful [the Babel fish] could have evolved by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
    The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
    "But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED"
    "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic. (Douglas Adams Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy)

For Babel fish insert Higgs Boson
    The vultures are circling

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

This and the Mars lander were the most awesome events to have happened for years,
    but all anyone wanted to talk about was the Olympics :/

Compare the costs of pandering to rich London sports fans, and that amazing space mission was a fifth of the cost
    The Large Hadron Collider cost about half.

People are stupid,
    we should bring back the Colosseum to keep the plebs happy.

Cloud Strife

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member septimus ii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    This and the Mars lander were the most awesome events to have happened for years,
    but all anyone wanted to talk about was the Olympics :/

Compare the costs of pandering to rich London sports fans, and that amazing space mission was a fifth of the cost
    The Large Hadron Collider cost about half.

People are stupid,
    we should bring back the Colosseum to keep the plebs happy.
    What with lawyers these days, regular fights to the death would be even more expensive than the olympics!

I've never really done much reading into this, but what benefits does its discovery actually have for us?
    I'm of the uneducated opinion that it's something we've always known is there, we just hadn't seen it....

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

IIRC It proves the Standard model, the Electroweak Force and why stuff has mass, also the super symmetry theory is then viable.

All that for £600 million

If we scrapped the stupid Trident refit we could build two LHC's, every year, for the next FIFTY YEARS !!!
    No prizes for guessing what our government is going to waste money on next though

Quote Originally Posted by Stevieus View Post
    I've never really done much reading into this, but what benefits does its discovery actually have for us?
    I'm of the uneducated opinion that it's something we've always known is there, we just hadn't seen it....
    I think it was more the fact that if it showed up something unexpected (which was fairly possible, given how it's taken this long to prove the Higgs boson actually exists) then it could have screwed over the entire basis of physics as we currently understand it. Which would have been very entertaining to say the least...
    The most amazing thing ever.

$person = new Person(); $person->getData(); if ($person->gender == female) { if( in_array("pokemon", $person->interests) ) { $me->action("hug and refuse to let go"); } } else { $me->action("run away and hide"); }

The BBC is being very helpful lately with putting on a lot of science programs, not just with the history of widjets but with what all this timey-whimey stuff means. 'Tis slightly disconcerting to find out later that a lot of these theories conflict with each other and the next greatest idea is different from last months

Also, they are really hard to understand - someone pointed out last week that it's because it all makes sense in terms of maths but trying to describe it for plebs is much harder.
    I've got as far as the Higgs field is like treacle, so I feel as though I'm on familiar ground here