Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on joining an alliance

Default Advice on joining an alliance

Hi

I'm an new player but active, and not doing terribly. I'm here to ask some advise.

I'm playing a server and haven't joined an alliance yet. But think it would probably be wise to do so at this stage.

So in my 13 x 13 and very close to me are 2 big players, in the same alliance. They started a month late like me but are now both in top 100. They haven't troubled me at all and I
    get the impression they aren't really raiding either. I accidently reinforced an inactive player and I didn't have any reports of either hitting
    my troops. Plus there are other farms in the area and I usually get all their resources. Some giving off huge amounts.

Anyone know what they are doing? They are really active it seems but not raiding? Both Gauls

Should I try and join their alliance (its part of a meta, which I don't really want to join)? Basically I'm not worried about other players, just don't want these 2 to smash me completely one day.

What I'm not keen on is them doing a sitter check and finding my farms and my troop info. I know this is par for the course.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Shouldn't it depend on what you want to do on this server?

HI JPP

being a new player I'm pretty vazy about what exactly I can do on this or any server.

I'm never going to be a top player because I'm new, not got a duel and my travian skills are probably very average. I've heard about these World wonder things, and hammers and end games but haven't been involved in one and can't really envisage myself being in these situations. I'm guessing leaders in my alliance would just say you do this, this and this, send troops or res or something. I'll say 'sure, if i can' and thats pretty much it.

I'd like to do well in my area but with these 2 big players around I don't want my army to just be swatted away like a fly whenever they can be bothered.

Welcome to travian Gordon997

My 1st server played was similar to yours, big players around me and didn't have a clue what I was doing. Have you tried talking to either of these 2 big players. If they are not raiding and see you as no threat then there is no reason why they wouldn't leave you be and let you learn the ropes.
    I fell lucky and ended up friends with my nearest big neighbour, he helped me to understand the game alot better and quicker than doing it on my own. Don't forget this is a social game as well as tactical, you'll find that no matter which alliance you join there will be people willing to help you get to grips with the game.
    As for you not being a top player, why not? I have played many servers as a solo player and am now a regular top 30 player. Good sitters can be as good as a duel in the right alliance. Playing a server or 2 making friends and playing as part of a team in alliances will soon teach you all about the game.
    Hope this gives you a bit more confidence in your game experience and remember that even big accounts can have nice friendly people running them.....like me

have fun playing (it is a game after all) and good luck.

Gazz (ABYSS in game, if I ever pick on your villas remind me I'm a nice man)
    ABYSS says........."KILL THEM ALL!!!!!"

I'm a Gaul Deffer, honest Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member Chesser's Avatar

From the description you give they are simmers, so I wouldn't expect them to hammer you. Having said that it might be wise to get in contact, just to say hi and open channels of communication. Don't assume just because they are top 100 that they are better than you. I spent several servers quivering in my boots sure hat everyone was out to get me till I figured out they were probably exactly the same and only Ryder was going to be mean to me (if you ever spawn near him, delete and start again, he's very hostile and mean).

As for alliance, well, a good alliance makes the game so easy. A bad alliance makes it hard work. So it is very important to make the right choice and stick with it. I always advise people to find an alliance with people that they would associate with IRL. Which you can't always tell straight away, but here are some 'don't's...

1) don't join an ascii alliance, if they have great big swords or helmets or other paraphrenalia made out of ascii on their alliance page they are a farm alliance, they will get hit cos the experienced players know they are a bunch of amateurs.
    2) don't join any alliance that doesn't insist on a sitter check, many alliances esp metas send out invitations willy nilly without doing any checks..... guess how long they last....
    3) don't join any alliance that within weeks of the server starting insist they are they to win it at endgame....they will (for your ease of distinguishing them) be called Falcons or similar.

Do's
    1) do state you're a newbie and you want to learn
    2) do ask how they can help you learn
    3) do ask about policies such as inactivity/sitters/troops
    4) do ask if they have a skype room or how they communicate
    5) do ensure you know the leadership and know who to ask various things (don't do what one person did and continually ask the def co-ord about off queries, they get annoyed)

Most of all have fun..... and watch out for that Ryder.....

Yep...totally agree with Chesser. And deffo watch out for that Ryder dude, he's a big bully
    ABYSS says........."KILL THEM ALL!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chesser View Post
    ...they will (for your ease of distinguishing them) be called Falcons or similar.
    Some people might be offended by that

Guys, thanks for getting back to me, i do appreciate it.
    I've got some christmas/family things to do atm but i will get back to you.

Mrs. Fantastic

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member Ryder's Avatar

FYI Gordan, Ryder is a lovable, kind and caring young gentleman, do not listen to these lies.

Welcome to trav, the biggest tip I can give you is this: GET OUT NOW, close your browser and never log into travian again, I promise it will be the wisest move you could possibly make

If you don't, than i look forward to seeing you around for the next 3-5 years, and best of luck with your game.
    Server 2, Round 4
    Server 3, Round 8
    Server 5, Round 8

Current Servers;
    Com4 - IGN;Casper
    Uk5 - Gjenganger

Mr Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MLGJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
    FYI Gordan, Ryder is a lovable, kind and caring young gentleman, do not listen to these lies.

Welcome to trav, the biggest tip I can give you is this: GET OUT NOW, close your browser and never log into travian again, I promise it will be the wisest move you could possibly make

If you don't, than i look forward to seeing you around for the next 3-5 years, and best of luck with your game.
    Ryder is no gentleman, he can't spell Gordon and is pure evil....that said best advice I've seen given to a noob in years...you're about 4 years too late joining Travian I'm afraid, the golden years are long gone.
    This post was brought to you by "Mr Fantastic"

Yayyyyy made it on to setbacks ignore list, can give it but not take it
    Let me guess, some kind of funny joke?
    This message is hidden because MLGJ is on your ignore list.

Where is my apology from MLGJ, for his insult on the forums? - URSULA THE MINOR
    In your dreams Sunshine xx

Thanks guys (and girls, it seems, for all the advice)

actually I have a husband and wife team near me on my current server. He told me off for attacking her and she apologised for killing some of my scouts. Well, it takes all sorts I suppose.

Gazzman,
    I haven't chatted to them yet. But I guess i'll give them a message in the next few days. I'm generally not afraid of other players. But these 2 together are more intimidating, the more I think about it. A couple of days production could wreck me totally. So best I chat to them. I'm glad to hear that you don't need a duel to excel in the game. I'd like success in the game to be down to my efforts. GL in whatever server you are playing

Chesser
    Yeah, they must be simmers. But I just don't understand why they aren't raiding. 200 TT and they could be picking up 10000s of res a day. From basically next door. Oh well. If there were just 1 of them I might be tempted to have a whack at them with my troops. But they seem like pros.
    Thanks for your advice about alliances. I can see the advantages of alliances, but what I don't want is other people seeing my attack reports and seeing my farms. Maybe these simmers would be content with me farming the surrounding area and even supplying them with defensive troops when required? I'll have some more wine and then ask them.

Ryder,
    thanks for the reply. Even now I consider just giving up. The more you play the more hours you invest and I just know when my army is killed its just gonna feel even worse. But I like playing aggressive and it seems to me that the real advantage. I should prob leave now, but I'm on the comp a lot and you can't spend all day on reddit.

MLGJ,
    sad the golden days are gone? With so many different versions it hard to find out good strategy. And so many hundreds of servers in all languages. The more servers they have the fewer players, but you guys prob know all this stuff

thanks all. I'll let you know when I say hi to my neighbours and they tell me that they were just waiting for me to get in touch before smashing me.

PS. Just got a notification from someine called IGameNaked with a gorgeous profile pic. So it can't be all bad
    Last edited by Gordon997; 26 Dec 2012 at 11:08 PM.

^^ some of what those guys said (as you can tell from their server registration dates, they've been kicking around for longer than they will choose to bring up in conversation with their respective other halves...)

in addition...
    it's not completely impossible to rise to the very top on your first server (it's been done before), but it is a steep learning curve (and time sink)

it might be worth chatting to the husband and wife team; are they in an alliance?

for the gauls, it's possible that they are just building fields / don't have troops..or they might be lazy (I've got far too lazy to raid now, for example); feel free to pm me with the server/names of the players (and/or chesser, ryder, gazzman etc. - not MLGJ because he's still pretending not to be playing) for a lil independent analysis of whether they are pros or not / what the alliance is like. It already sounds like you may become a better player than them so don't go too cap in hand to them / offering def etc.

Mr Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MLGJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha78 View Post
    ^^ some of what those guys said (as you can tell from their server registration dates, they've been kicking around for longer than they will choose to bring up in conversation with their respective other halves...)

in addition...
    it's not completely impossible to rise to the very top on your first server (it's been done before), but it is a steep learning curve (and time sink)

it might be worth chatting to the husband and wife team; are they in an alliance?

for the gauls, it's possible that they are just building fields / don't have troops..or they might be lazy (I've got far too lazy to raid now, for example); feel free to pm me with the server/names of the players (and/or chesser, ryder, gazzman etc. - not MLGJ because he's still pretending not to be playing) for a lil independent analysis of whether they are pros or not / what the alliance is like. It already sounds like you may become a better player than them so don't go too cap in hand to them / offering def etc.
    Ryder's my other half, I often bring it up in conversation with him, though he's now been lured to the darkside of the game.

Since Sam's in a backhanded way implied I'm next to useless, I'll try and be helpful

Firstly, Travian is and has always been a game where the more time you put in the more success you will get out of it, if you think you can logon in for 30 mins, 4 times a day you'll never become a top player. On that basis if you can't get on the account pretty much 24x7 get a dual(s) who you trust. Those players near you might just be building up catapult numbers and you'll find when you get in at 9am one morning your villages are trashed.

Secondly, gold has been brought up before in terms of is it needed for top accounts, my view is that it's now essential in T4, it was pretty much essential in T3.x. So ask yourself how much are you willing to spend a month trying to get to the top....which is again another reason to get a dual who's willing to split the cost. I would estimate and I'm sure Sam would have a better idea but I'd say that the top 50 accounts on T4 are spending around 1500-2400 gold per month.

Thirdly when it comes to alliances, on your first server you're gonna struggle for 2 reasons, 1) you don't really know anyone, so you haven't formed any friendships with people you know you can trust to help you , play in the same way you want to etc. 2) you have limited experience to take to leaders of the better alliances as a CV. Just don't join the first few alliances that ask, if they just say come join our alliance without wanting to know more about you and your experience then they're just looking to fill the alliance with numbers to try and make themselves look bigger, you end up in an alliance of farms.

Finally, wait for a t3.6 UK server to start and me and Ryder will teach you to play

p.s just re-read your point about loosing your troops, that's the best bit of travian, remember troops are there to kill and be killed, there's nothing better on getting an attack right and feeling your chest puff up, the same goes for picking yourself up after finding you've run into a wall and rebuilding to get your revenge.
    Last edited by MLGJ; 27 Dec 2012 at 08:56 AM.
    This post was brought to you by "Mr Fantastic"

Yayyyyy made it on to setbacks ignore list, can give it but not take it
    Let me guess, some kind of funny joke?
    This message is hidden because MLGJ is on your ignore list.

Where is my apology from MLGJ, for his insult on the forums? - URSULA THE MINOR
    In your dreams Sunshine xx

Was I implying you were useless? (I love the effect whatever it was had tho :p when you're not being grumpy, you're lovely)

I think gold use it more granular than that. There is a really tiny minority that use insane amounts of gold; some of these are good players, some are clueless and just making their hero look pretty, or their pop but don't actually have many/any troops - let alone how to use them.

There is a fairly broad chunk who'll use 600 - 2k gold or so a month, but these tend (but far from always) be the smarter players. Once you acknowledge addiction and have more than half a dozen villages, it's pretty much essential to have plus (the overview screens are v. useful + double build etc.), gold club, and the 25% res bonuses + NPC + auto-complete to manage your resources, and particularly if you are going for level 14+ capital fields. But, some players do manage to fund this from selling stuff they find on adventures (but of course that means you can't use it yourself).

But yeah - as MLGJ, two really important things are killing troops and having good friends to play alongside (which is a fatal combination in terms of addiction)

Active MemberActive MemberActive Member

Welcome to Trav, you may in a while curse the day you found this as it can be incredibly addictive.

Like many other of the posters I have been around this game a fair while and am currently waiting for a T3.6 (Actually prefer T3.5 non arty version, but no chance of that)

One question, are the players you speak of selling wheat on the market?, even if they are not they could be NPC'ing. There is a tactic, dangerous around aggressive players, which is to run early on with few troops and convert the wheat into other res, significantly increasing your spendable res. The idea is rather than building troops half the time, which eat the wheat, you focus on getting the res up then once the res is high enough go straight to 24/7 troop production.

If you are not a great raider it is a viable tactic but risky. Most players will see a fast growing player and leave them alone especially if they are Gaul and could have traps, but then you could have Ryder nearby....

Hi MLJG,

thanks for the advice. I may just take you up on that offer.
    Maybe in my next account I will seek out a duel and see how that goes. This is my 2nd proper account, and I lost my first when my home router broke down and it took a week for me to get it replaced. Nightmare. So a duel would sort out that situation.
    I'm loathe to buy gold at this stage for a couple of reasons. I don't understand the game well enough to know how much gold I would need to use, I'll find out sooner or later. So without knowing what the possible costs could be over a server, and what the benefits of those costs would be I won't splash out yet. (Sorry travian shareholders).

Samantha
    thanks for your pm with some help with analysis of the alliance.

Analyst
    thanks for the post. They aren't selling anything in the open market. I'm kind of in the suburbs of travian so they have another village near the centre and maybe they are just sending all their res to that and building troops there.
    Talking of traps I'm a gaul and have never thought of using them. The trapper takes up space and I've only had one person attack me anyway. (My occupied oasis so i could'nt have trapped them anyway)

Also just one quick question. I've often attacked a village nearby, just now getting 40000 in res from it and losing just 1 troop. A minute afterwards some of my scouts landed there but all got killed. Why would you move your troops away, but not use up res? Is this troop evasion that I have read somewhere about. I never bother scouting this village, just attack it now because of this. thanks all and hope you enjoyed Christmas and have a good year

Cloud Strife

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member septimus ii's Avatar

I think you're figures for gold are excessive - I have a friend who's borderline top 20 pop, with decent troop numbers, and he says he spends 200 per month now, and no more than twice that at the start of the server. I reckon it would even be possible to get into the top 50 without buying any gold at all (just sell stuff), but it would be very hard.

they call me superman
    i'm here to rescue you

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon997 View Post

Also just one quick question. I've often attacked a village nearby, just now getting 40000 in res from it and losing just 1 troop. A minute afterwards some of my scouts landed there but all got killed. Why would you move your troops away, but not use up res? Is this troop evasion that I have read somewhere about. I never bother scouting this village, just attack it now because of this. thanks all and hope you enjoyed Christmas and have a good year
    It probably is evasion, yes. Could by chance be defensive troops arriving, so send a smaller amount of troops next time just in case. If you have attacked it after your scouting-fail, then you should be ok, but you never know what that player has of troops, and when he decides to not evade anymore. Part of the fun I guess
    Last edited by Andi; 27 Dec 2012 at 01:24 PM.

It's not hard; on uk servers you can get into top ten with minimal gold

And for op; it sounds like evasion and the scouts are dodging when you raid

A solo trapper is a bit pointless; early game people assume you have one - so you don't actually have to build
    Later in the server there is a perverse pleasure from having a village with ten trappers (4k traps) and either the village gets chief end and looses all that pop unless the chiefer is Gaul, or the traps eat a mini army you can have great fun trapping and holding top rank heroes this way; and ofc then stuff the village with defence so it's a nightmare for them to get troops back...

I'm a Gaul Deffer, honest Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member Chesser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MLGJ View Post

Thirdly when it comes to alliances, on your first server you're gonna struggle for 2 reasons, 1) you don't really know anyone, so you haven't formed any friendships with people you know you can trust to help you , play in the same way you want to etc. 2) you have limited experience to take to leaders of the better alliances as a CV. Just don't join the first few alliances that ask, if they just say come join our alliance without wanting to know more about you and your experience then they're just looking to fill the alliance with numbers to try and make themselves look bigger, you end up in an alliance of farms.

Finally, wait for a t3.6 UK server to start and me and Ryder will teach you to play
    Pretty much as I said, don't join alliances that don't check you out, would you work for a company that handed you a uniform and said "go to it'?

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha78 View Post
    But yeah - as MLGJ, two really important things are killing troops and having good friends to play alongside (which is a fatal combination in terms of addiction)
    Friends help. I'm not as bloodthirsty as some of the people on here, but get into a good alliance and the camaraderie (and the experience to learn from) will help enormously.

Quote Originally Posted by The Analyst View Post
    Welcome to Trav, you may in a while curse the day you found this as it can be incredibly addictive.

Like many other of the posters I have been around this game a fair while and am currently waiting for a T3.6 (Actually prefer T3.5 non arty version, but no chance of that

If you are not a great raider it is a viable tactic but risky. Most players will see a fast growing player and leave them alone especially if they are Gaul and could have traps, but then you could have Ryder nearby....
    *sniggers* When even his dual taks about him as belonging to 'the dark side' would you believe his protestations of innocence?

But yes, all good points to consider from some very well repected names.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast