Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where are all the gaming shows ?

Angelic

I only just read this thread so a little late but I'm surprised twitch tv wasn't mentioned earlier. Live streaming sessions of Q&A's with developers, general gaming and exploration of new updates are quite common for some of the online games I play.

In general terms, gaming shows are targeted at a connected audience who in my opinion prefer programmes to be on demand and multitasked via split/duel screen while doing other things. As such I don't feel a single tv channel dedicated to gaming would maintain viewing numbers for any length.
    ukx4, ukx7, ukx8 & ukx10 - wgn, wgn, wgn & wgn , ukx11 - emily , ukx12 - Milkyway , ukx13 - Smelly Romans , ukx14 - Ayra & illii
    s1,7 - Raving Cabbage

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wgn View Post
    As such I don't feel a single tv channel dedicated to gaming would maintain viewing numbers for any length.
    It doesn't have to be a whole TV channel, but all the journalistic output for technology is via print or blogging, on TV there is one program called 'Click' I think, which to be fair does cover more than the latest gadget.

Even on iPlayer under the category "Science and Nature", it is 99% programmes about Welsh Badgers and 1% Brian Cox pointing out how vast everything is while Yummy Mummys bite their lips and cross their legs.

Having a one hour program where gaming was actually played by good players, instead of what we have now which is playing the demo trailer whilst a presenter says "Ooh" and "Ah".

Every podling I know plays Minecraft so just a program on that might inspire a few of them.
    Current minecraft youtube videos have shocking production values and presentation, which the BBC is ideally suited to do better.

Microsoft paid $2.5 Billion for Minecraft and Sky and BT paid an equivalent £3 Billion for football.
    Football is shown 24/7 yet Minecraft hasn't even been mentioned as existing by mainstream media.

Something is wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    It doesn't have to be a whole TV channel, but all the journalistic output for technology is via print or blogging, on TV there is one program called 'Click' I think, which to be fair does cover more than the latest gadget.

Even on iPlayer under the category "Science and Nature", it is 99% programmes about Welsh Badgers and 1% Brian Cox pointing out how vast everything is while Yummy Mummys bite their lips and cross their legs.

Having a one hour program where gaming was actually played by good players, instead of what we have now which is playing the demo trailer whilst a presenter says "Ooh" and "Ah".

Every podling I know plays Minecraft so just a program on that might inspire a few of them.
    Current minecraft youtube videos have shocking production values and presentation, which the BBC is ideally suited to do better.

Microsoft paid $2.5 Billion for Minecraft and Sky and BT paid an equivalent £3 Billion for football.
    Football is shown 24/7 yet Minecraft hasn't even been mentioned as existing by mainstream media.

Something is wrong here.
    Podlings don't need a minecraft program on conventional TV. They have stampycat Clean language, a voice that is made for kids TV, and decent production values (no swearing, and decently produced - his degree was in TV and video production), not tied to national broadcasters so 3mn+ subscribers. He was interviewed on BBC breakfast a year or two ago. Ask the podlings if they know about stampy

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/07/30/mi...tampylonghead/

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha78 View Post
    conventional TV.
    But doesn't this imply that the audience have evolved, but TV hasn't ?

On TV (ie. iPlayer) I watch Doctor Who, Frock dramas and the odd space program.
    On Youtube I subscribe to 66 content producers, I'd watch more if I played fewer Glee videos.

As soon as Keira Knightly hosts a frock channel TV will become old technology for me.
    That leaves 10 million people paying for quiz programmes for simpletons and celebrity masturbation.

I shall mention Stampy to podlings of my acquaintance and single female friends,
    but I'll blame you if they later drop out of University to play games all day.

I would imagine any self-respecting podling is already aware of stampy - there are posts all over mumsnet too lol

I'm not entirely sure the funding/broadcast model would work for a lot of the gaming stuff on youtube tho - there is nothing intrinsically wrong with different mediums?

Quote Originally Posted by Carrothead View Post
    I think there was a channel I watched that featured a lot of stuff when I was younger but unfortunately I can't remember the name of it at all, helpful I know.

You're right though, the market is massive for that. All you'd need is to round up a few youtubers to do it. But then arguably they'd say that YouTube is the new media which is exactly the same as TV, but they have more control over it rather than be forced into a contract with a channel and their stuff controlled.
    Was it game network or the gamer channel or something like that, it was on sky for a few years I think, had a cute red haired presenter on it.Pulse had a few shows about gaming I think, Bravo had one hosted by Julie Hardy I seem to remember.
    By Sexy logic the best Travian player in the world .
    Oh no SMASH think I am a Noob.

I miss Magnus.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12