Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the gaming shows ?

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

Default Where are all the gaming shows ?

Why does nobody televise gaming ?

It appears to be what a chunk of the 18-30 group do at night and it's split 50:50 on gender, maybe they would watch better players show them how to play or something ?

YouTube is filled with gaming videos where for the most part people just wander around, or the Minecraft ones where they show you how to make new things (while mumbling, in the dark, and forgetting they need iron, and bouncing around for the sake of it )

There are also lots of magazines showing still shots from new games, when really a video of them is much clearer. I think a television format is much more suited to this.
    Now I don't really play new games but I do watch Minecraft videos and I guess I wouldn't have found the game if somebody hadn't sent me a link once.

The only technology programme at the moment is BBC's Click but the presenters are clearly not gamers and the topic is never covered, it's just another gadget show.

I think there was a channel I watched that featured a lot of stuff when I was younger but unfortunately I can't remember the name of it at all, helpful I know.

You're right though, the market is massive for that. All you'd need is to round up a few youtubers to do it. But then arguably they'd say that YouTube is the new media which is exactly the same as TV, but they have more control over it rather than be forced into a contract with a channel and their stuff controlled.

~epitome of grumpiness~ Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member Lucidity's Avatar
    In a sea of melancholy, surrounded by sharks of malcontent.

It's all about t'internets these days. Gaming magazines, certainly PC ones, are dying out as all of the information you need including video reviews are available online from one place or another.
    edited by admin due violation of the rules

Ex Moderator, Multihunter and Whistleblower

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

Apparently the 18-30 group don't watch live TV, they record it and watch it later so now the only thing that gains an audience is cooking and antiques.
    I'm not sure that means the TV companies should stop bothering to cater as that same group is still paying for a TV licence.

There is a lack of appreciation for the geek, apart from The Big Bang Theory and the IT Crowd there is nothing that acknowledges that group, yet we all know the geek subclass is massive and the BBT is very popular. It's the same with Doctor Who, we all knew it would be fantastic but it took forever for the BBC to bother hiring a scriptwriter, just think of all those lost years in not making any episodes, such a waste of opportunity.

There needs to be a move away from insipid presenters who clearly are just as happy presenting QVC as they are some History of Clothes pegs programme. We need more like Brian Cox, people who actually know what they are talking about.
    A geek gaming programme would require the same thing, perhaps a group of people who do actually play games for 18 hours a day and can sit around and discuss the subject helpfully (like a forum thread on say, Tell me about Warcraft).
    Last edited by horse; 07 Mar 2013 at 05:14 PM.

I'm outside that group *sniffs* and don't watch live TV (ummm recording it doesn't happen either - usually web streaming).

If you're a geek you have a computer and a net connection; gaming videos are better suited to online. Is what, perhaps, you're really seeking a level of quality that pretty much only comes with professional TV?

There are set up channels on youtube, whether it be an individual dedicated to reviews like TotalHalibut or Yahtzee in the Escapist and BlueXephos. Then there are major channels like Machinima and IGN. They all branch out and do a pretty high quality job. I doubt it'd work on TV.

well I only picked 18-30 as what I have stats for, I guess gaming is broader than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha78 View Post
    Is what, perhaps, you're really seeking a level of quality that pretty much only comes with professional TV?
    Yes quality, and women dressed in Cosplay Elf costumes ideally.

Consider the market here, there are channels where an amply endowed girl talks about computer hardware, and this gains thousands of views ???

YouTube is OK, but in terms of finding out how to do something in Minecraft we are down to one or two channels, and the quality is iffy at best. Either they love the sound of their own voice or they have no idea on how to do a presentation, and the number of unwatchable Minecraft videos that are recorded at night time in the game make me scream.

In terms of publications, wherever there is a magazine, there is a related television programme. From history to countryside badger watching to motor cars. Except for gaming, there are at least five gaming magazines and not one single TV show.
    Awkwardly there are five different magazine on hair, but let's gloss over that one.

I guess reviews of other games could be included, and as long as amply endowed computer girl is on the team, then we are guaranteed an audience.
    I mean, look at the top rated TV show, basically nicely spoken girls on bicycles looking at babies... I think compared to that then geeks deserve their own show.

Do you know how to search the internet properly? I'm sure there's more than one or two channels which are capable of teaching and entertaining!

I just wouldn't be sure a channel would be too successful, it'd be a risk to go into. I'd like to see it work but pretty much everything a gamer needs is on the internet which is what they'll be at anyway, instead of going to a TV, finding the right channel and hoping that something relevant to them is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrothead View Post
    Do you know how to search the internet properly? I'm sure there's more than one or two channels which are capable of teaching and entertaining!
    If there is a Minecraft channel, I have watched it, this is why I made the thread...

Just because there is a second rate way of accessing information, doesn't mean the BBC should then ignore that segment. Clearly the geek market is huge, they should therefore be catered for.

Horse riding is massively niche in comparison to gaming, yet point to point, show jumping and dressage is often shown.

But I'd suggest that the geek market is more likely to be watching tv on demand on the internet vs. horse riders watching scheduled TV :p (doesn't the licence say something about sport hours?)

Yep, but we are only watching iffy YouTube channels on the Internet because nobody else is doing it, not that YouTube is somehow the ideal place to watch it.

There are lots of examples like this where a niche subject needs a higher standard of production. Take makeup, everyone needs to know how to do it yet beyond a few teen magazines the subject isn't covered, yet YouTube is awash with Makeup Tutorials, pretty all hosted by amateurs. Where are the professional makeup artist shows ?

Actually, thinking about it, it is the concept of "how to do something" that is missing here, plenty of entertainment shows, plenty of factual shows but not one single "this is how to do X" type of show.

You don't need to be a professional makeup artist to know what you're doing, same with gaming. Just because someone hasn't had that break or opportunity, you wouldn't listen to them?

A 'this is how to do X' type show would be aimed at an incredibly small market who can already access the facts online. I don't see the channel getting views at all if it hosted programs like that.

What makes you think that YouTube isn't the ideal place?

Quote Originally Posted by Carrothead View Post
    You don't need to be a professional makeup artist to know what you're doing, same with gaming. Just because someone hasn't had that break or opportunity, you wouldn't listen to them?
    Why are you watching all those professional players kick an air bladder around ?
    You can come to Wibbleshire and watch me do it live in a football strip of your choice, well until I get bored as I'm not being paid £200K a week for a series of unconvincing trips over someone's foot.
    Besides it's not about their amateur status, it's about production values.

A 'this is how to do X' type show would be aimed at an incredibly small market who can already access the facts online. I don't see the channel getting views at all if it hosted programs like that.
    Except in America they have public access television where exactly this sort of category is huge.

What makes you think that YouTube isn't the ideal place?
    Because the 18-30 group don't pay a license fee to watch programming only of interest to members of the WI.

What is there for you on TV ?
    Sport, Top Gear and that's about it really I guess ? As soon as I realised Top Gear was on iPlayer I threw my TV away (btw their Africa Special in on there now, worth a watch if you've not already)

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    Why are you watching all those professional players kick an air bladder around ?
    You can come to Wibbleshire and watch me do it live in a football strip of your choice, well until I get bored as I'm not being paid £200K a week for a series of unconvincing trips over someone's foot.
    Besides it's not about their amateur status, it's about production values.

Except in America they have public access television where exactly this sort of category is huge.

Because the 18-30 group don't pay a license fee to watch programming only of interest to members of the WI.

What is there for you on TV ?
    Sport, Top Gear and that's about it really I guess ? As soon as I realised Top Gear was on iPlayer I threw my TV away (btw their Africa Special in on there now, worth a watch if you've not already)
    The first paragraph is a difficult one. People do prefer seeing local teams as they aren't overpriced. I, personally, would rather play. It's not the same though, it's about recognising skill. I can still learn stuff from opponents in Sunday League, they don't need to be professional for me to pay attention and take note. Same should go for the makeup artists. If they look good and make good tutorials, should it matter that they aren't typically professional? I say typically because the good ones will make enough money from adverts to be paid a decent salary, making them professionals in their own rights.

America =/= Britain. That's as much as I can say for that one really. More people in the country means more chance of people watching and the channel surviving.

I don't tend to watch TV. If I had my own place I wouldn't own a TV. I'd still pay the licence fee and just catch things on iPlayer and what not. And if I want to know something, I search it on the internet or watch a video on YouTube! (I have seen the Africa special, and it is indeed rather good!) The only stuff I watch on TV is the friends re-runs, various movies I pick up on demand and random stuff. I wouldn't miss it, really.

Weren't public access channels basically like the above average side of youtube before the internet? (I am, I'm afraid to say based this on Wayne's World, Home Improvement, and a friend who used to host a PC/Car show for his local cable channel in PA)

There are some really good tutorials on youtube...but I'd guess for the majority it's more useful to be able to watch them when you need them / be able to refer back to them, that as scheduled TV programming.

There was a thing a few weeks ago when ?Delia said she wasn't doing TV any more and was taking her cooking shows online.

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member PinkFairyKing's Avatar

Weren't public access channels basically like the above average side of youtube before the internet? (I am, I'm afraid to say based this on Wayne's World, Home Improvement, and a friend who used to host a PC/Car show for his local cable channel in PA)

There are some really good tutorials on youtube...but I'd guess for the majority it's more useful to be able to watch them when you need them / be able to refer back to them, that as scheduled TV programming.

There was a thing a few weeks ago when ?Delia said she wasn't doing TV any more and was taking her cooking shows online.
    She is going to be doing cooking lessons online. Its so you can pause it etc and you can make yours at the same time as her. I think it was aimed at the younger generation...

More likely nobody wants her on TV anyway, most boring cook ever, she only got a slot because they wanted Fanny Craddock off and she was the only female cook the agent had ever heard of.
    Not every dessert requires two pints of cream either.

I don't watch any scheduled TV, all of it is offline via iPlayer.
    Last edited by horse; 07 Mar 2013 at 08:59 PM.

Cloud Strife

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member septimus ii's Avatar

This. A great move from her, as for her target audience, most will watch online anyway, and most will want to watch the episodes/lessons that they want, when they want. IPlayer is excellent for stuff like Top Gear, but for tutorials I don't want it to disappear after a week.

I saw a show called Intel Extreme Master on Eurosport sometime back. It covers counter strike, star craft, WoW etc competition. It feature professional teams competing with each other and I especially like the coverage of Counter Strike. Prize money for the winner is decent as well 100000 Euro.

Hah, knew it.
    There is a website called twitch.tv where people go to watch other people play games.

It's apparently worth $481 Billion
    The BBC's licence fee is only £3.7 Billion

See, if they had listened to me they could have afforded a few more frock dramas with Keira Knightley

Apparently if you are a girl gamer, male nerds give you money if you to talk to them ? I don't know how salacious that gets but I guess it's pretty iffy.

You don't even have to be any good, I'm way better than some of them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast