Thread: Interesting Journeys

Lafayette

Default Interesting Journeys

Last edited by Lafayette; 23 Feb 2014 at 12:53 AM.

Epic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton Member commander's Avatar

Drove from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon and back again all in a day in a convertible mustang.

Also drove in said mustang from Vegas to as close to Area 51 as you can get down groom lake road. We saw the security trucks and took pictures of the signs saying don't take pictures also went to "The Little A'Le'Inn", a little bar/cafe well known to people with any interest in Area 51 and the supposed "aliens". Main reason I thought it was cool was the fact it was in the middle of nowhere. Really felt like an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
    Siddick went to Cockermouth, then on to Clitheroe. Wanted to bypass Samlesbury so Skipton straight to Mother Shipton's cave (petrifying). Liked Wetwang next - Scunthorpe. Grimsby (fish).

Anyone else had any interesting trips?
    You've got to admire how we name things, surely. Who even does this?

Quote Originally Posted by commander View Post
    Drove from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon and back again all in a day in a convertible mustang.

Also drove in said mustang from Vegas to as close to Area 51 as you can get down groom lake road. We saw the security trucks and took pictures of the signs saying don't take pictures also went to "The Little A'Le'Inn", a little bar/cafe well known to people with any interest in Area 51 and the supposed "aliens". Main reason I thought it was cool was the fact it was in the middle of nowhere. Really felt like an adventure.
    That's what I always think about, the vast nothingnesses in America. Were you over there for long?

Epic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton Member commander's Avatar

Went to Vegas for a week. Had the car for a couple of days so did those things.

It was a bit heavy doing 600 miles in a day to the GC and back but was quite cool. Generally just driving on the quieter desert roads feels like an adventure when you have the desert landscape and a straight road just stretching off into the distance and nobody else around.

Driving down the strip at rush hour however is rather stressful

I used to drive through Wetwang every week when I worked in Pickering and Whitby. I remember nearly hitting a deer just outside Sledmere.

I would love to drive across parts of America. I'm really envious of you Commander. A friend of mine is busy doing up a Mustang while he is in Canada and planning on bringing it back here when it's done, so maybe I may get a chance to get a ride in one :p

Last year, I drove across Estonia and saw some of the very deprived areas in the West where the Soviet influence is still very strong. Seeing the border controls in Narva was scary, so were all the deserted look out towers on the Russian side of the Narva River.

Quote Originally Posted by mercy View Post
    Last year, I drove across Estonia and saw some of the very deprived areas in the West where the Soviet influence is still very strong. Seeing the border controls in Narva was scary, so were all the deserted look out towers on the Russian side of the Narva River.
    Abandoned things always interest me, no idea why. Did you drive through other places as well as Estonia on a road trip, or was it a holiday staying in Estonia?

I went on a trip to Snowdonia and driving through Wales that was was so picturesque. It made me laugh when a minibus of fearless young men who'd just spent 5 hours messing around all buckled our seatbelts as soon as we hit the mountain roads. Bloody scary.

Mountain roads are always scary. Several years ago I was driving through the Pyranees with my kids and one of their friends in the back. There was a sheer cliff on one side and a sheer drop on the other and a load of cars behind me. All at once, one of them asked why the cars back door was open. I looked round to see my youngest slowly sliding out of the back door in her car seat. Fortunately it was properly clipped in and we managed to grab and close the door, but it was the one and only time I ever swore in front of my kids, and after that, whenever driving a hire car I always check the child locks are on first!

And no, it was just Estonia that time.
    Last edited by mercy; 17 Feb 2014 at 05:11 PM.

Touring round Wester Ross in Scotland and there is a couple of roads in particular that stick out, Bealach na Ba and the road from Torridon to Daibaig. I have to admit wimping out on the road to Diabaig when I looked in my rear view mirror and could only see the loch and no road behind me. I was glad I did when later on on the very steep and narrow single track road, a logging lorry was coming in the opposite direction, which meant us reversing down the hill. To say I was relieved not to be the one driving was an understatement
    i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii568/TravianComps/LMT.png

Reversing in my neck of the woods is something that becomes as natural as breathing, nothing infuriates me more than when I meet someone who only needs to go back maybe 20 yards to a passing place but they still make me go back half a mile round blind bends and dips grrrrr

I haven't driven much around Scotland, it's another place on my to do list. I went to a wedding on the Isle of Cumbrae last summer and that was lovely, but you wouldn't be driving very long to get around there :p

Quote Originally Posted by mercy View Post
    All at once, one of them asked why the cars back door was open. I looked round to see my youngest slowly sliding out of the back door in her car seat.
    Made the kids get out and gave them a phone and some food/drink just in case
    Two of the most genuinely chilling things I've read on this forum. I can just feel the terror

Whitby is a favourite of mine. Used to visit Robin Hood's bay a lot as a kid and walk along the cliff top path to Whitby.
    I have walked that path a few times. Also the one between Robin Hoods Bay and Ravenscar. My favourite clifftop walk in the UK is between Trebarwith Strand and Tintagel. If you do it in May when the gorse is in bloom, it just smells amazing.

Hmmm, still quite young to be able to match up to any of those experiences. I have driven through parts of Scotland's country roads with my dad, that was fun. One of my first proper experiences of it too.

I went off-roading with my dad while I was much younger too. It was a proper off-roading centre and we did it in a Defender. I was surprised to see how well the thing could cope with the terrain, the ridiculously tight turning and everything else. There was this one ditch we passed where apparently the king of Norway drove down and it took two helicopters to airlift them out apparently. Luckily there was no repeat of that

My only other trip that springs to mind is driving from Birmingham to Northampton, setting off about 11pm on a Wednesday night, to pick up a friend and drive down to Southampton to visit another friend in hospital and got there for about 5am. Apparently our friend was never in hospital but we had a fun journey battling through the thickest fog Ive ever driven through where I genuinely couldn't risk more than 10mph, London rush hour traffic for the first time (I learned my lesson) and a lot of motorway driving.

Young shouldn't be a barrier, although admittedly financially it is tougher (or nigh on impossible if a student). Still, went to Vegas when I was 21

Have also driven from the West Midlands to Fort William in the highlands to take on Ben Nevis. Not in a very good car but the roads were still amazing up there and the scenery

Are you from Birmingham then Hawkery?

Age shouldn't be a barrier, no I went paintballing for the first time recently, fly to Dublin the end of the month which is my first time out of the country without parents or a school and planning to do a Jailbreak in April if I can find the time. Might be March, I can't remember. It's soon though.

Originally from the Birmingham side of the Midlands, yes. I've moved since but moving away has helped give me a sense of adventure. Moving wasn't that difficult, so what's stopping me moving further or to more interesting places? Only thing at the moment is money, but I'd love to move to the states one day. Till then I want to get a job that involves a lot of travelling

Angelic

How did you enjoy the paintballing?
    ukx4, ukx7, ukx8 & ukx10 - wgn, wgn, wgn & wgn , ukx11 - emily , ukx12 - Milkyway , ukx13 - Smelly Romans , ukx14 - Ayra & illii
    s1,7 - Raving Cabbage

Quote Originally Posted by wgn View Post
    How did you enjoy the paintballing?
    T'was good fun. The weather had been horrendous so it was kinda like paintballing and swimming in one... My friends who had been many times before described me as fearless, watching Jack Bower in 24 definitely paid off lol. Though I did end up considerably wet and muddy. There's a huge national event coming up in May called North vs South, looks like a good weekend. Just trying to find a way of justifying the cost. Surprisingly I came out with less bruises than I did when I went go karting.

Have you ever been before?
    "It’s only when the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."

#MakeTravianGreatAgain #MTGA

Angelic

I've been a handful of times and when I was younger my friends and I would head into the forestry with our own guns. I always took the more conservative approach and saved my ammo by taking well aimed pot shots while the others trended towards the more brutal shoot em while they're down and then shoot them some more approach.
    ukx4, ukx7, ukx8 & ukx10 - wgn, wgn, wgn & wgn , ukx11 - emily , ukx12 - Milkyway , ukx13 - Smelly Romans , ukx14 - Ayra & illii
    s1,7 - Raving Cabbage