Thread: Travian & Smartphones

Default Travian & Smartphones

I'm looking at getting a new phone soon but I'm not sure what. Part of what it needs to be able to do is run Travian efficiently. Given I only have experience with an iPhone I'm looking for recommendations, suggestions, things to watch out for, etc. So are there particular phones you've found are quite easy? Quite difficult? Ideally I want to avoid an Apple again. Strong battery life is critical so hiding the iPhone battery where I can't get to it and change it is most annoying.

I currently use an iPhone 4s and play Trav through Safari. I've been told Google Chrome for my phone is better but haven't been bothered to download it until now. The few problems I've had on Safari have mostly been with raid lists - I know on computers and phones they a) send the list, b) load the page then c) anchor the page at the top of the raid list you just sent. As long as PC/laptop internet is okay this happens quicker than I can scroll anyway, the only problem with this while on my phone is it takes a while longer to load (albeit a few second), so I'm scrolling away to find the next "select all" then it suddenly jumps. Other half of the problem is of course signal but any suggestions are welcome (other than telling me to wait lol). I assume the mobile app will address this, or make raiding easier but till then it's a bit of a pain.

General day-to-day activities such as moving defence, moving resources, queueing buildings, simming new villages have always been slower as I find phone signal to be a bit slower than that of a PC or laptop. Not really a specific phone issue but maybe there are ways round it (i'm aware there's a 'sign in with low graphics' option but pages still seem to be a bit heavy).

Thanks!
    "Itís only when the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."

#MakeTravianGreatAgain #MTGA

You aren't really going to escape the restrictions mobile signal presents, if you are lucky enough to live in an area with 4g this would alleviate that choke point. most new smartphones perform reasonably well ( im using a samsung gs3 which is what 2 years old? and haven't had any problems beyond living in the back end of nowhere trying to find 3g signal) with Travian via web browser though for obvious reasons the bigger the screen the less zooming in and out you will have to do. Its never going to be as straight forward as using a mouse and keyboard though. if you can find wifi hotspots that helps a lot, the future travian app will still be subject to the mobile signal restrictions though hopefully will be less intense on the data requirements - i haven't read up on it but i would assume it will only be available for the newest release of travian (5.0).

regarding battery life
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this for my phone (using it for the last 9ish months) and i get an easy 48 hours continuous on it in one charge. Can push it over 3 days when i feel like it just more force of habit putting it on charge. i know there are products like this for the newer galaxy models and would assume there are similar devices for other android devices with removable batteries.

I would still vote for apple :x I find T4 can actually run quicker on my phone/ipad than by browser because of the image caching/compression thing I think the iPhone does?

Never had a problem with running Travian on android (Samsung and Nexus), and I don't use the low bandwidth option either - Android gives you much better connection options to play with. I access it via Chrome on my phone because it's a better browser to handle it, rather than the browser which comes with the phone, so worth downloading.

Don't listen to Sam... giving up my iPhone was the best thing I ever did as a techy.
    Uk1 armies: Round 2, Round 3, Round 5
    Uk2 armies: Round 2, Round 3, round 4
    Uk3 armies: Round 2
    Uk4 armies: Round 3
    Uk5 armies: Round 2, Round 3
    Uk6 armies: Round 2
    Ukx3 armies: Round 8, Round 9, Round 10, Round 11
    Ukx5 armies: Round 1

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member PinkFairyKing's Avatar

Chrome is definitely the best browser to use in my opinion (on an android phone.)

I have played Travian on a few smartphones at it has worked fine on all of them. I havnt experienced any problem whatsoever with my current smartphone, Sony Xperia Z.

The large screen makes it easy to press things, but a 5 inch screen is too big for some people.

Gaul MemberGaul Member Gridy100's Avatar

Whatever you do, don't get a blackberry. Had one in a 24month contract and it couldn't manage any travian at all even on wifi. I am lucky enough to have an iPhone 5s at the moment and love it but if your a bit anti apple, as PFK said, the Sony Xperia Z runs it extremely well too.
    Come to the dark side... WE HAVE COOKIES! OmNomNom

I have a Sony Experia M and it works fine, screen is fairly small but I never have any issues - other than when you NCP res via the MP the window can tend to open way off screen which means dragging across to it... fine once you know, bit frustrating when you don't, lol
    My Alter ego is red...

Active MemberActive MemberActive Member

silly question, but is there an offline multi wave method on android. am using dolphin browser currently

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member PinkFairyKing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix888 View Post
    I have a Sony Experia M and it works fine, screen is fairly small but I never have any issues - other than when you NCP res via the MP the window can tend to open way off screen which means dragging across to it... fine once you know, bit frustrating when you don't, lol
    I guess this is on the small problems with the Z too... The NPC box appears somewhere down in the bottom right of the screen and you have the zoom in and scroll to find it

@ Offspring - yes, signal is one of those things that can't be helped to an extent. Considering Travian website doesn't really have a responsive design to suit phones I could imagine navigation should be (or definitely could be) a lot simpler as well as less data-intensive. Haven't read up on it either but a boy can dream! I'm not sure if I can get a battery spare for an iPhone but there's probably an extension for some ridiculous price out there.

@ Sam - If it does, it either isn't enabled on mine or it isn't helping much.

@ Avi - I don't usually listen to Sam I've even started using the low bandwidth on my laptop as it's a fair bit quicker and much less data-intensive when I'm connecting at peak times or there's a dozen devices using the wifi |-( will definitely install chrome now

@ Fenix - my iPhone does this too actually. I tend to adjust without thinking nowadays but it can be annoying.

So my to-google-list consists of Sony Experia Z/M, Samsung, Nexus and whatever Google do... Definitely not another Blackberry though. Thanks Travvers

Ive just got the LG G2 and find its super fast (3g) on trav, a decent sized screen and battery life can last 4 days if you havent got sync activated, if you have its only 2 days. Only issue is there is no sd card slot, so depending if you need a lot of space, I also like the fact I can use my mobile as a tv remote!

Galaxy S4 would imo be a good pick as spec wise it's very decent and with a good screen size it makes it even easier to browse. But if screen size was a priority I'd go with a tablet.

I'd love to get a tablet. It'd be much easier for everything, except calls :| sadly I still need a phone to do just that.

I'd definitely look to invest in a Kindle or a Hula (or whatever it is Tesco are doing) if I was still using public transport for hours every day. Don't see much point at the moment when I can't really divert my attention anymore, plus I can sneak on at work when the boss isn't looking.