Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooks of Travian, unite!

Were they separate creations or did the chocolate and ginger get put into one awesome flapjack? Plain or milk chocolate? Coated or integrated? Where are the pictures? I forgot is no excuse. You will simply have to make them again.

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

I ate my emergency flapjack today.
    I keep one in the car in case I get stuck in a remote location and face the possibility of starvation.

Or as today, when I didn't make any sandwiches.

Timed it well though, its sell by date was up and I'm due to buy its replacement.

Last edited by horse; 27 Jun 2014 at 08:30 AM.

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member PinkFairyKing's Avatar

Emergency flapjack added to the shopping list...

Cloud Strife

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member septimus ii's Avatar

*Emergency flapjack ingredients

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

*Entirely different from normal flapjacks, the problem being is getting anything with fat in it not to go rancid.
    (especially sitting in a warm glovebox for a year)

Quote Originally Posted by mercy View Post
    Were they separate creations or did the chocolate and ginger get put into one awesome flapjack? Plain or milk chocolate? Coated or integrated? Where are the pictures? I forgot is no excuse. You will simply have to make them again.
    Ginger flapjack contained bits of chopped ginger. Chocolate flapjack was made with cocoa powder, and topped with a layer of milk chocolate.

Sorry I took a while to reply, had a busy few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    I can be such a cow sometimes

Cooking is something I can do. I just came back from a week in Italy. My family didn't get to go with me so I thought it only fair to bring back lots of yummy things and cook them a proper Tuscan meal. This is my menu for this evening

Bruschetta
    Antipasto
    basil taglietelle with ragu
    pork medallions with lemon and herbs served with slow cooked green beans
    tiramisu
    coffee, Il Santo and Cantuccini.

My family may not appreciate my efforts but I will!

Obviously preparing a big menu like this takes some preparation so here are my kitchen antics so far today;

1. Prepare the ragu. Finely dice onions, celery, carrots and garlic and gently sweat in a puddle of olive oil. (NB do not use your best olive oil for cooking, that should be saved for dipping bread and pouring on salads). Add in a little bacon. Blanch a couple of large ripe tomatoes in boiling water for a minute. Peel and seed, then chop the flesh and add to the pan with a little ground meat and some herbs. Add a small amount of stock and a splash of balsamic. Leave to cook on a low heat for as long as possible. 30 mins minimum, several hours much better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140706_122722[2].jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	5880

2. Prepare the tiramisu. Ideally this should be done the day before but I was too busy. Make up some very strong coffee, about quarter of a pint. Grate a bar of plain chocolate. You can add any leftover pieces to the coffee. Whisk up a small carton of double cream until thick (not stiff, be careful, there is a very short space between thick and stiff). Whisk in a small carton of marscapone and something alcoholic. Traditionally, it should be Marsala. I used some Il Santo wine liqueur I brought back from Italy. Any coffee based or almond based liquer would work. Line a glass dish with trifle sponges or sponge fingers. Spoon over some coffee. Add a dollop of the creamy mix. Coat in gated chocolate. Rinse and repeat. Stick them in the fridge until you want to eat the.

Name:	20140706_123050[1].jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	5881

Name:	20140706_130553[1].jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	5882

Name:	20140706_131516[1].jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	5883

3. Prepare the slow cooked greenClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20140706_134852[1].jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	5884 beans. Simmer some finely sliced onion and carrot in olive oil. Add a couple of chopped tomatoes (skinned and seeded as before) and a big heap of topped and tailed green beans. Season and leave to cook on a low light for an hour or so. Keep checking on them to ensure they don't dry out. Add some water if they do. When they finish cooking, stir in some torn fresh basil.

Just discovered the dog ate the tagliatelli off the back of the chair it was drying on so off to make some more, will finish this post later.

Considering that most of my "cooking" involves turning the oven on, I feel a bit ashamed to be posting in the presence of all this culinary greatness, but....

I did attempt to make a three course meal not so long ago.

The starter was a prawn salad.
    I mixed a few tablespoons of dark soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce with some grated ginger and a couple of crushed cloves of garlic. I left the prawns soaking in that little concoction for about 20 minutes.
    Then I drizzled a bit of olive oil on some slices of rye bread (which I even sliced myself. So proud!), and fried it on a griddle pan. Then cut that into little strips. And made a little prawn bed with them on top of some general salading materials.
    Fried the prawns for about five minutes. They spat at me a lot. Stuck them in their bed. And then stuck a bit of Caesar dressing and grated parmesan on top.

I don't like prawns, so I had a boiled egg on a leaf of lettuce...
    But I was told it was nice.

For main I made a mess.
    Standard chicken stuffed with cheese in a bacon coat. With some unidentified herbs on top and in.
    Then rather inexplicably stuck it on top of some stir fried veg and noodles.
    It was a lot to take it....

By this point I was feeling the effects of having to work for my food. So I just stuck some chocolate ice cream on some vanilla ice cream. Then squirted some squirty cream and chocolate sauce on top. And added sprinkles. It took a grand total of about two minutes to "make".

And then I experimented with some liquid ingredients...

If you mix enough syrup with pink grapefruit juice and vodka. It actually tastes alright.

Wow. And I thought you were a pot noodle man. Stevie, you have become an adult.

I still eat cheesy Super Noodles on toast on an almost nightly basis

The important thing is the ice cream sundae came with a perfectly balanced rose wine. I also love the way you are willing to experiment with flavours from different cultures. The Chinese flavours of soy, ginger and noodles just delicately balancing the rest. Epic! Disappointed you don't eat your own cooking though. Something very wrong with a man who lovingly prepares marinaded prawns then eats an egg

This was the pasta the dog ate. I had to make a second batch. Kids liked it though. Middle daughter assured me it tasted like the garden. Considering I have two dogs and two cats, I don't really want to consider in too much depth what she might have meant.

Name:	20140706_140747[1].jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	5885
    5oz pasta flour, 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, 2 tsps each olive oil and water, chopped fresh basil. Mix up with your hands, the stuff that sticks to your fingers does come off and sort of meld with the rest.

After that I rolled it out in my pasta machine and then fed it through the tagliatelli thingy. Thank you mum for the pasta machine (Most of my kitchen implements are hand me downs, I have a family who like to buy things, use them twice then stuff them in a cupboard. I go and look longingly at something I fancy and hey presto, it gets passed down to me!!)

You can make perfectly good tagliatelli with a rolling pin and a sharp knife. You can also buy it for next to nothing from Tesco if you aren't into faffing. It makes a pleasant change from noodles.

If you plan to hang it on the back of a chair to dry, make sure your dogs are locked out of the kitchen. Make sure your teenage children also know the dogs are locked out of the kitchen. Otherwise, be prepared to faff around making it again.

To cook the pasta, bring a large pan of water to the boil. Drop in the pasta and cook for a couple of minutes. Drain and toss in the ragu. Serve immediately and enjoy yum yum. Sorry didn't get a picture of this bit, it all got eaten.

Just had steak and chips with mushroom sauce for lunch. Was too hungry to mess around with pictures though *useless*.

No photos, although it did cross my mind because it was so delicious - one of my favourite seafood salads to throw together in 10 minutes.

chopped tomatoes, olives, basil leaves, chopped anchovies for the juices, whole anchovies, capers, crushed garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, fried red peppers, red onions, fried tuna steak from the fishmongers (breaks up nicely after cooking), mussels, torn up buffalo mozarella and a baby leaf salad (rocket, mizuna, spinach, etc). Eaten with broken up ciabatta, sprinkled with olive oil and sea salt in the oven, nice crunchy crust but soft in the middle.
    Uk1 armies: Round 2, Round 3, Round 5
    Uk2 armies: Round 2, Round 3, round 4
    Uk3 armies: Round 2
    Uk4 armies: Round 3
    Uk5 armies: Round 2, Round 3
    Uk6 armies: Round 2
    Ukx3 armies: Round 8, Round 9, Round 10, Round 11
    Ukx5 armies: Round 1

So many ingredients to make a salad. Tomato, mozzarella and basil are enough for me.

Sounds delicious Avi, I never had much success with cooking tuna, I always find it goes a bit dry. I don't think my fishmongers does it ready fried, probably because I don't have a fishmonger within an hours drive other than Morrisons

Salad to me is something I eat alongside my meal rather than a meal in itself, unless I'm making a Greek salad for lunch. I think I should investigate more.

Mickulty, what do you put in your mushroom sauce?

Not my work, but I stumbled across an imgur album by someone who made a pizza from scratch: https://imgur.com/gallery/Fmeh3

Quote Originally Posted by mercy View Post
    Mickulty, what do you put in your mushroom sauce?
    Mushroom condensed soup, more fried mushrooms (out of a tin, I'm afraid), salt, pepper, and a bit of water.

Ohh I like the idea of making cheese like that. I may have to experiment.

I used to make a recipe with condensed mushroom soup called Ghicken a la King. Very 80s and not one I have thought about in years. You know you can just sweat sliced fresh mushrooms in a little olive oil or butter and black pepper and stir in a spoonful of cream when they are done? Probably just as easy and cheaper.

Was it my imagination or did Eddie pop in and disappear again?

I had the mushroom soup lying around anyway - I bought it a couple of years ago because I needed one of the smaller size cans to test a robot for my second-year engineering project, got a 1st in the project but never got around to eating the soup

Ooo, I have tomato tinned soups, tins with sweetcorn, tuna and mackerel, a fence paint and Dulux paint in my storage room. I used all those tins to introduce pi for my Year8.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Ooo, I have tomato tinned soups, tins with sweetcorn, tuna and mackerel, a fence paint and Dulux paint in my storage room. I used all those tins to introduce pi for my Year8.
    I'd advise avoiding using the paint in any cooking.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast