View Poll Results: Is Travian a dying game?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its had its day

24 30.77%
  • Its not dead, its doing well

6 7.69%
  • T5/mobile app with give it a new lease of life

13 16.67%
  • Its in intensive care, could go either way

35 44.87%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Is Travian dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha78 View Post
    Firstly, a ban doesn't mean someone is guilty (at least in game)
    Yeah, but the forum bans, those are handed out in fairly

That said, coming back to Hephaestus's rant, two things:

1. Cheating.
    Multiaccounting is like druggies shoplifting. Simple, stupid and will get you caught eventually. More experienced players usually have mates set up accounts they can raid or which spew out def. Much more beneficial and perfectly legal. A gaul got to top3 raiders on week 1 on uk5. I've mostly played an offensive gaul in my trav life, and more often than not, I'm the top one at that during the early game. Never have I got a purple ribbon, nevermind a medal on the first week - my left nut says they had some friendly accounts to raid. My left nut says they just had a little help from the friends, but broke no rules. In my 10 years playing Trav, I've never had a problem with MH, unlike with the forum administration here, who still think the vocabulary should be toned down for possible 10 year olds, while the majority playing are actualy cynical males aged 18-45.

2. Gold.
    I quite like the concept of gold. It's the way to pay for the countless hours you keep abusing their servers. Think how much it would cost you to spend the same time at your local pub. Travian is a cheap hobby...

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member horse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JPP View Post
    Yeah, but the forum bans, those are handed out in fairly
    Typo? I think you meant unfairly.
    Last time I got banned I came back and said exactly the same thing, so unfairness might just be down to misinterpretation.

Multiaccounting is like druggies shoplifting. Simple, stupid and will get you caught eventually.
    I don't agree, I have access to maybe thirty other internet connections so I imagine a lot of people will have access to two or more.
    People running ten accounts for the entirety of the first server were not unheard of.

unlike with the forum administration here, who still think the vocabulary should be toned down for possible 10 year olds
    I thought it was toned down for the benefit of adults ?

I quite like the concept of gold. It's the way to pay for the countless hours you keep abusing their servers.
    Except Travian is for the majority of players fairly low skilled, so Travian HQ's marketing is essentially the cynical manipulation of children.
    We don't have to suffer cartoon graphics for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    Typo? I think you meant unfairly.
    Last time I got banned I came back and said exactly the same thing, so unfairness might just be down to misinterpretation.
    I might have been mildly sarcastic...

There are plenty of cynical adult women that play travian/forum too

The 10 year olds aren't hypothetical I'm afraid.

You seem to share my mum's theory on criminals lol most are stupid and will get caught eventually. Same goes for multi-accounters etc. Not always possible to find hard evidence as soon as your intuition tells you they are up to mischief. Most will screw up eventually and get caught.

The 10 year olds aren't hypothetical I'm afraid..
    And how many of them are members of the forum? How many are paying customers? Come on Sam, you're big on numbers, aren't you?

The 10 year olds aren't hypothetical I'm afraid.

You seem to share my mum's theory on criminals lol most are stupid and will get caught eventually. Same goes for multi-accounters etc. Not always possible to find hard evidence as soon as your intuition tells you they are up to mischief. Most will screw up eventually and get caught.
    The most wanted person in the UK is a guy who owes the tax office £17.5m in VAT fraud. The best criminals are the smart ones, though if they were truly smart then they wouldn't have their picture plastered across the HMRC.

I agree with JPP. If you're going to try and give yourself an advantage it's much easier to get a friend to start an account, get them to sign in for 10 minutes a day and sitter run them the rest of the time. Either use them for defence or set them up as a bloomin good farm. Much easier to set up a company in the Bahamas and run your sales through there where they charge 0% tax and leave all operating profits there so the UK can't charge you, instead of robbing a bank. Purely coincidental that I mention that while on the way to the Bahamas to set up a business

I wish
    "Itís only when the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."

#MakeTravianGreatAgain #MTGA

JPP - enough it may or may not surprise you that in practice, frowns about bad language are more likely to come from adults. Doesn't matter how many of said children are paying customers.

Hawkery - hmmmm very pedantic I know but 'HMRC' not 'the HMRC' (the her majesty's revenue and customs just doesn't sound right)... anyways.... yes, it's easier to do that that - doesn't mean it's right though, and it's where the good old 'An account must always be played for its own benefit.' can come into play. The french approach to sitters has some advantages - time limited sitters and for genuine absences only (not for overnight cover etc.)

JPP - enough it may or may not surprise you that in practice, frowns about bad language are more likely to come from adults. Doesn't matter how many of said children are paying customers.

Hawkery - hmmmm very pedantic I know but 'HMRC' not 'the HMRC' (the her majesty's revenue and customs just doesn't sound right)... anyways.... yes, it's easier to do that that - doesn't mean it's right though, and it's where the good old 'An account must always be played for its own benefit.' can come into play. The french approach to sitters has some advantages - time limited sitters and for genuine absences only (not for overnight cover etc.)
    Are you asking me to troll you? :p I put 'the' at the front on the basis Im using the abbreviation. Look in my little world, everything has THE in front of it so, nerrrrrr you big pedant.

Love you really!

Looks very much dead to me in the UK at least and a great shame. Just look at the lack of participation on the UK servers now. The game is visibly in terminal decline and for myself and many of my contemporaries the current s1 is the last stand. And I still enjoy playing the game.

Although WW endgames were flawed in many respects does "Ancient European Union" (were these servers named by Angela Merkel herself?) represent an improvement? I think not. The next version is almost certainly too late to save the game over here and many of us diehards will now emerge blinking into the sunlight after several years effectively out of circulation.
    Last edited by Gillsman; 16 Dec 2014 at 02:31 PM.

I have enjoyed AE as it was a change in the rythm.

However now in uk3 only 800 players left. And I would like to blame my enemies there ofc but the real issue is that something is wrong with the way Trav is operating.

I was thinking that in most games when players are introduced to the game they do not face the kind of obstacles a Trav player faces. For example a completely new player in WoW plays for months on his own before joining the experienced lot. Also in other games you go through different levels of dificulty where the learning curve is slower. In Travian, after 3-4 days as a new player you are forced to face very experienced players. From easy to really hard.

I read that T5 may remedy this but it could be just too little too late.

I play call of duty, Sim City 5, the sims, GTA and I get to save my progress, turn off the game and I have the great ability to not have to worry about it for two weeks. I can then suddenly pick up where I left off years down the line if I wish.

Perhaps it's an issue with the style of game. Maybe there are less people interested in a real-time-strategy MMOG - maybe there are the same amount of people interested but maybe less interested in how fast / slow Travian runs compared to other real-time games out there. A decline in market size could be to blame but that's only a hunch based on my own leanings at the moment.

T5 is great for new players but I don't think it addresses the issues of having brand new players mixed with experienced players. Firstly because they're still mixed, secondly because it's pushing experienced players away.

I'm less sure it's a decline in market size (total size of the market) but travian certainly has a lot more competitors than when it first started (and after being one of the first, it was then very slow to return to the world of mobile apps)

Travian can be very unforgiving, you make one mistake and very often you get punnished for it, and how many people want to do that when they can play more forgiving games that do things like automaticly rebuild your village when it get destroyed and give you a shield for a certain amount of time.
    By Sexy logic the best Travian player in the world .
    Oh no SMASH think I am a Noob.

I miss Magnus.

As one of those n00bs then I have to say that the game is pretty unforgiving for new players. There's quite a lot to learn and you will make mistakes.

Perhaps more important though is that it's clear that it's not a level playing field even if you were a genius and played brilliantly from the off.

Dual accounts are fundamentally unfair, but from what I can see, some duals are quadruples or quintuples. That's ridiculous. Then there appear to be a bunch of accounts that can be nothing but farms made for players or alliances. Maybe they're from a different IP, but you don't even need a friend to pull that trick. You can't rely on all cheaters making silly mistakes, you need to look at Cui Bono if you're serious about stopping cheaters. From what I can see most of those who get banned try to use bots (which probably aren't anywhere near as big an advantage as having extra accounts feeding you or granting you medals).

If the game isn't fair, which it doesn't seem to be, then I'm surprised it has the players it does.

Sadly some valid points there.. I have known many players who boasted of having a "friend" starting an account just to provide feeder villages to the main account. That is common practice among many of the top accounts. And yes a new player gets punished very quickly for any of the 100s of mistakes they may make early on...

Mind you in other games there are such ways to cheat the system ofc... Including WoW with its black market for various accessories for example .

Quicker you make some friends with a bit of knowledge about the game the better on travian, I got lucky as I started trying to speak to my neighbours early on and also gained a lot of knowledge by taking it upon myself to read the forum but sadly not all players have this attitude.

I few more player created guides for new players would be fantastic, screaming at them to build crannies and trappers only really helps for about 5 minutes before someone comes along and crushes them.
    Meep Meep
    #TeamNatar

Just getting better and better

I came to travian through Facebook, played one server on t3 and enjoyed it, but it was way too long, I only play x3 servers ever since, otherwise I get too bored. I quite like t4.4 now, don't like T5 from playing the Alpha server. As far as the forum goes, I hardly eve used it, it seemed like it was a little clique anyway of the "old skool" "hardcore" players. I feel that travian got too greedy and based the whole game around buying gold especially now with the new hero items. Now that the numbers are plummeting maybe they need to scale down and just have a .com domain where everyone plays.

I see what you mean, but If they only had the .com domain it would then appear crowded. There are domains with over 20k active players, such as the Turkish domain and many with around 15k. If they were all under one domain, they would need very regular server starts and it would be very packed. Maybe overly packed.

~epitome of grumpiness~ Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member Lucidity's Avatar
    In a sea of melancholy, surrounded by sharks of malcontent.

I had a dream about Travian last night. Quite a feat considering I've nor played it for 3 years+. But I started playing a mobile game recently, "Bomb Beach", and found it a poor substitute for classic Trav (pre-artifacts) so considered going back to it again. Decided to pop on to the forums and found this thread. Lots of nostalgia, Sam (thanks for the shout out) reminded me of my times as an MH on 3x, I was getting up early in the mornings and putting in over an hour before work, doing what I could do with my phone during the day and coming home to spend 6 hours from dinner to bedtime as there was almost no cover for the server. I notified the admin at the time and promises were made to sort it but nothing came, I wanted to help the players on the server as they were paying to play this game and deserved a level of customer service in return.
    I can honestly say during my time as MH that I gave nobody preferential treatment, even though I was in alliances with the players on other servers.
    I honestly can't remember how long I suffered as basically the only MH on the UK speed server but it wasn't too long in the grand scheme of things, generally I really enjoyed it but I couldn't keep it up. I quit and gave the first nail into Laika's coffin.
    I was pretty gutted when I had my Ex Crew tag taken after all the effort I'd put in but I did kinda deserve it in hindsight after bad mouthing the current admin. Belated apologies for that...!

So, still don't know if I'll play again. It sounds much more gold driven these days.
    edited by admin due violation of the rules

Ex Moderator, Multihunter and Whistleblower

*waves* how can you post and not say what the dream involved?! You were very discrete at the time about how bad it was, but I do remember a strop (which was probably the final straw) on the day you went christmas shopping. I do hope life is treating you well

It can be gold driven, but nothing a skilled player has to worry excessively about unless you are super-attracted to shiny things and a top 10 pop.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast