Thread: When does farming become bullying?

Question When does farming become bullying?

A little bit of background that leads me to ask the question: I was a regular player for a while and built up a few little villages out of the way of most other players (some of which are over 5 hours from the nearest player). I then found myself under attack regularly. Fair enough, its part of the game. I had my crannies protecting my resources so I wasn't too bothered. Then came the trebs which destroyed my crannies leaving me vulnerable. Again, part of the game, I get it. However, when you have up to 7 different players attacking you from a huge alliance, just to keep you from enjoying any aspect of the game, I find it disturbing. Let me elaborate. In less than 3 days my reports box was overflowing. This is over 2000 attacks in less than 3 days, from the largest alliance in the server, to a 4 village player that has never had contact with any of them. While writing this post alone I have received a further 76 attacks. That's only the space of 10 minutes or so. As stated before, they gain no bounty but stop me from doing anything at all. So as the title asks, when does it stop being farming and become bullying?

they call me superman
    i'm here to rescue you

Hi,

This sounds like a knock on effect from one player getting resources from you during raids. Some people check the alliance attack log to see who gives out res. If you reconstruct the crannys, people should start removing you from their farming lists, as no one like to waste troops on non-yielding targets. Might also be an idea to message the ones farming you stating you are now active again to make the attacks stop earlier. I know of no one that continues farming people after getting a message, as well as 0 0 0 0 bounties.
    Last edited by Andi; 20 Jul 2015 at 01:51 PM. Reason: rude spelling mistake :P
    GTB - Eeyore, Arwen&Elrond, Rotta The Hutt, Tussi | City something - Eddard Stark| UV - New Deli, Bane| T-rex - Maida- All on ukx.
    Now playing on Tea and Cake in GTB

Sounds like they are just bored and need someone to destroy, a little account in the middle of nowhere makes an easy target.

Mr Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MLGJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post
    I know of no one that continues farming people after getting a message, as well as 0 0 0 0 bounties.
    Depends on how the IGM is worded.

As mentioned above you must have been giving resources out at one point or you wouldn't get so many raiding you, which makes me think there's either something you're not telling us, e.g you already sent the original farmer a snotty IGM or raided one of his villages etc.

At the end of the day raiding never becomes bullying, it might be mean and unsporting but if you feel that being raided in an on-line game constitutes bullying then maybe this isn't the game for you.

Your best options are to a) either join a stronger alliance that will help you defend, b) you send the farmers a nicely worded IGM or c) you ride it out and ensure they loose a troop or two by maxing out your wall and residence.
    This post was brought to you by "Mr Fantastic"

Yayyyyy made it on to setbacks ignore list, can give it but not take it
    Let me guess, some kind of funny joke?
    This message is hidden because MLGJ is on your ignore list.

Where is my apology from MLGJ, for his insult on the forums? - URSULA THE MINOR
    In your dreams Sunshine xx

I played this game years ago and came back on in February. I never had any issues with anyone and had spoken to a few players. I have never been in the business of snide/rude messages and always attempt to be friendly. I did message the initial player who attacked me after he/she sent in about 20 attacks (all of which gained nothing). I was friendly when I messaged and even released the troops the had trapped as a sign of good faith. I then received a message stating that he didn't care if I released his troops, they were just going to get sent back. The next day I had another member of the alliance attacking me. That gradually increased. I am now in the position where I have so many attacks a day to every settlement that I can't even build a level 1 cranny or wheat field as they have destroyed all my wheat fields so troop building is impossible too. The game has literally become impossible to play for me. This is not just 'the game'. Yes, attacking is part of the game but the level that this has reached is something else.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I played this game years ago and came back on in February. I never had any issues with anyone and had spoken to a few players. I have never been in the business of snide/rude messages and always attempt to be friendly. I did message the initial player who attacked me after he/she sent in about 20 attacks (all of which gained nothing). I was friendly when I messaged and even released the troops the had trapped as a sign of good faith. I then received a message stating that he didn't care if I released his troops, they were just going to get sent back. The next day I had another member of the alliance attacking me. That gradually increased. I am now in the position where I have so many attacks a day to every settlement that I can't even build a level 1 cranny or wheat field as they have destroyed all my wheat fields so troop building is impossible too. The game has literally become impossible to play for me. This is not just 'the game'. Yes, attacking is part of the game but the level that this has reached is something else.
    So they croplocked you and are farming you? Seems pretty normal to me, I do it all the time to active farms I know could bring up troops in a hurry. My advice would be to start a server day 1 and get yourself in a good alliance who can help defend you.

If you started a little late into the server you may have ended up in a stronghold and they are feeling a little insecure/threatened and so trying to remove you from the area.

You can build crannies without wheat fields (as long as you have some + wheat somewhere in your account you can send over) as they are zero pop for the first few levels. I'd try to create some trapper villages in the troop numbers aren't too high.

You shouldn't release troops for them - if they release them by force, they will loose 25% of the troops

You could also try contacting their enemies and asking for support in terms of resources and timed defence.

I started uk1 late, no alliance and barely any troops and had to overcome a similar problem, just not on such a huge scale admittedly - I also didn't tell any of my friends until I decided who I wanted to play with so didn't have the luxury of throwing my name around, though that doesn't always work

It needs to be clear in the raiders mind that you're not a profitable farm. Either through wasted troop travel times, troop losses on the wall (best option imo) or troop losses to defence. If you igm and they don't stop, perhaps defend the odd several attacks as a warning shot. If they continue then yes, you can defend and yes they can cat you. If they do, play them at their own game and do one better - find out who their main enemy is, offer your services to one of their enemies attackers in return for some help and get revenge that way.

Raiders are banking on your giving up eventually, so will risk some losses.
    "It’s only when the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."

#MakeTravianGreatAgain #MTGA

Cloud Strife

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member septimus ii's Avatar

It's worth contacting other big players who aren't in the alliance - they might be willing to send you some defence to kill off some of the raids so that they can level up their heroes, or just to kill troops from an opposing alliance. But it sounds like you're in a position where you're best off clocking that server up to experience and starting again somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by septimus ii View Post
    It's worth contacting other big players who aren't in the alliance - they might be willing to send you some defence to kill off some of the raids so that they can level up their heroes, or just to kill troops from an opposing alliance. But it sounds like you're in a position where you're best off clocking that server up to experience and starting again somewhere else.
    Which basically amounts to spiking, something I think is part of the game and strangely looked down upon in travian. Personally I have no problems with it, as long as those doing it realise that they are liable to get smashed if they are found out.

Mr Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MLGJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DDD1122 View Post
    Which basically amounts to spiking, something I think is part of the game and strangely looked down upon in travian. Personally I have no problems with it, as long as those doing it realise that they are liable to get smashed if they are found out.
    How does it?

Picking an inactive player and placing hero in there to score some cheap kills takes no skill, being an active player trying ways to survive against difficult odds takes a lot of skill.

Mrs. Fantastic

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member Ryder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MLGJ View Post
    How does it?

Picking an inactive player and placing hero in there to score some cheap kills takes no skill, being an active player trying ways to survive against difficult odds takes a lot of skill.
    What are you doing awake at this hour?

Why were you not in bed?

I'm not putting up with your attitude today just because you decided to have a late night! You're not 21 anymore!!
    Server 2, Round 4
    Server 3, Round 8
    Server 5, Round 8

Current Servers;
    Com4 - IGN;Casper
    Uk5 - Gjenganger

How does it?

I meant on the side of the people placing in heroes to a village they know is being farmed by an enemy.

How does it?

Takes no skill. And is still part of the game. Cheap points for no effort, why not - especially if you're hero is at home and doing nothing.
    My Alter ego is red...

Mr Fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix888 View Post
    Takes no skill. And is still part of the game. Cheap points for no effort, why not - especially if you're hero is at home and doing nothing.
    It's a horses for courses question...some people think it's ok to do, others think it's a dirty tactic. The point I was making is that spiking a farm isn't the same as a player asking for defence from players in their area to try and stop constant farming of his villages.

Which leads me to ask, OP did you get it sorted or did you delete.