Thread: General Discussion

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member Khnum's Avatar

Default General Discussion

I've not played Travian for quite a while now & have started an account to see what has developed in game. The reliance on gold,not skill,has caused a massive loss of player numbers over the last few years & it seems to me this has now reached epidemic proportions!Features designed to promote new player retention have massively backfired & UK player numbers have nosedived tragically.Graphically,it looks awkward,designed to attract the pocket money out of teenagers,once they run out of the free gold,but few seem to stick with it.

Whilst this thread is on UK19(?!) & can track what's happening on this server it's also intended to open out a general discussion about travian & whether the most recent changes can rekindle Travian's dwindling fortunes.

Now let's see who's even contributing on the forums : p

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sweden.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	6462
    Last edited by mhudson; 10 Jun 2016 at 10:03 PM.

MemberMember

I'm not sure if the decline of travian has been hastened by the over reliance of money over skill. The amount and popularity of similar online games and travians seeming inability to compete would appear to me to have had a greater effect on its dwindling numbers.

Every similar game I've heard about has required money to be spent, so personally I don't think that has had a massive bearing. More I think is that it's hay day core players have sadly grown up and priorities changed. University to work and family life. Older players occasionally find a way back but all lament the current game and hark back to a better time. Those older core players have never been replaced.

Personally I think in not promoting and hence competing with other similar games travian has sunk the nails into its own coffin.
    The real questions for me are

1 - is it too late to reverse the present trend of dwindling numbers

2 - what steps must travian hq take in order to do so.
    UK 2 - scarecrow

uk5 - screwball

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member Khnum's Avatar

Definitely valid points that I'd take there & without a doubt people do move on.There was a massive decline in numbers once T4 was introduced & despite repeated attempts to revamp & engage the numbers have plummeted making the game play less attractive. Much has been written on how the game play could be reworked & that is always a productive topic.

I wouldn't want to dwell on the past in terms of how it went wrong but upon coming back I can see that with the right amount of gold I can now gain a much bigger advantage than before via the cauldron.Whilst it's a early game gimmick it now means I can buy troops & get my second village much quicker than someone else without that advantage. For me that's a massive turn off for your everyday punter who is living on a budget but wants a level playing field where skill,dedication & team work are key, not what spare cash you have,

For me I reckon it's too late, as you say other games have promoted more successfully & there are an awful lot more of them to boot! HQ are almost certainly entirely reliant on the gold aspect so that won't change,quite the reverse.

Smaller maps & more aggressive play would naturally stimulate interest as all the changes at protecting new players are still not working. Would be great to see an uplift in numbers by reworking the format but it's going to take some big changes & soon.

What other suggestions might there be & are there any newer players who can comment on their impressions of the game & how it looks/plays out in the MMOG market ?

Active MemberActive MemberActive Member keevill_81's Avatar

smaller server numbers are the reason for more gold spending features . travian will still around as long as its financially viable ! less people playing the game means the ones that are will need to spend more to maintain the profit .

there are full time people running and maintaining servers that have mortgages too ....... we all like to moan but with out a steady income stream the game will be lost

How can i keep up my mortgage payments & spend gold here

Yes hard to play when RL catches up and you realise that you can "play" similar games to Travian in your workplace and get more out of it in real terms...

Reasons why Trav is losing ground; some mentioned by Keef I guess:
    1. too expensive (not much is free anymore)
    2. not enough promotion
    3. Game mechanics (I mean come on... Who cares anymore about the idea of the WW???)

I want to add a few more reasons:
    1. Slow moving to mobile technology (took ages to have a mobile friendly site)
    2. Not enough variety in terms of maps and additional activities..
    3. Lack of separation of more experienced to less experienced players (as most games do have a different space for novices and different for better players so that the newcomers get hooked before they get totally decimated)

I believe Trav is anachronistic now.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Wolf View Post
    3. Lack of separation of more experienced to less experienced players (as most games do have a different space for novices and different for better players so that the newcomers get hooked before they get totally decimated)
    Cant believe I'm saying this but I agree with CW. This is maybe the main reason.
    OK there is BP for 7 days but that still doesn't stop the newbies getting battered straight after that.

Looking at it cynically the system is set up to encourage those left to spend maximum gold. Spread that across the globe & you can bleed the suckers dry for a while longer yet..... it may be in decline but profit isn't that unhealthy

New Poster

There's some info on com forums (I think that's where it originated), that goes into the net/gross profits for Travian Games. Interesting reading. IIRC it was 2009 or so that things started to go downhill. T4 wasn't a great success and they're still trying to turn profits up again.

The ironic thing is they're focusing on it the wrong way. Create a game that players want to play and the that'll look after your profits. Not profits>players.

Quote Originally Posted by iKhan View Post
    There's some info on com forums (I think that's where it originated), that goes into the net/gross profits for Travian Games. Interesting reading. IIRC it was 2009 or so that things started to go downhill. T4 wasn't a great success and they're still trying to turn profits up again.

The ironic thing is they're focusing on it the wrong way. Create a game that players want to play and the that'll look after your profits. Not profits>players.
    Yeah, it predates T4 tho. T3.6/artefacts was the 'solution' to the original decline; T4 was the second attempt. In practice the history went - Trav gained/created a MMO market share/niche in the days before smartphones (they actually had a java app years and years ago). But smartphones/facebook etc. lead to lots of competitors - and in the face of increased competition, numbers fell etc. The company also seemed to experience growing pains - an increase in domains / versions which HQ wasn't fully geared up to support.

Honoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian Member Trouble's Avatar

Trash of clans isnt better travian just sucks at marketing to new players

Like wtf people play clash of clans and its super big but its mechanics are way crappier and all it has is some animated dudes its not that hard to makes some animiations like that and make an app.. there is so many people trying to make it doing it..

Seems like only thing people said at one point "how to get rich?" "make an app!" Like cmon for a company been around as long as travian, a decent app its pretty much expected. The fact they havent got one or that I dont know about it (given I play travian a lot) is a massive fail for them. but its not the first and wont be the last.

Solution travian has is nerf early game make it more powerfull for gold.. This is like to try and stop people from becoming farms. sure this is a thing, infact a big thing. most good starts have to abuse this mechanics a lot, not now simmers finally got massive buffs in T4. But its still a thing and advantages of farming inactive player is something too big to be ignored for like 90% of decent accounts (I know u nooby simmers are still out there...)

When I joined I was hoping for some animations, there is none. And I think this is a massive problem, infact travians biggest problem.

I joined in like 2007 It might have been, honestly I cant remember but I wanted a total war game online after playing Medival two I wanted to play that game so bad, but my dad was a douche like all people who buy machintosh products. Yes all.

Bassically I couldn't play because some one cared more about what comptured looked like than what it will allow you to do or what its specs are or how it can work with good programs... eugh macs.

Still literally 0 animations. Just numbers and build times like you could have it that you can turn it off if people wanted to play the old way or something

The game has some interesting ish mechanics but no where near enough given early on to retain people. I think warning signs was when you see people (who used to actually sign up) quiting at like pop 2 - 50 because they realised how crap the visuals are and they are like "WTF" when they build a woodcutter or something that was litterally aaaages ago. Graphics where super hyped back then all my friends would say "oh but its got nice graphics" never about travian of course.

0 animation was why any one I showed it to quit, was what I expected when I joined (was looking for online total war) and its pretty crapy that even the newest versions of the game. It shows 1 of two things:
    1.) travian is dumb???
    2.) travian is lazy
    3.) Its some how too hard for them to include easy on the eye visual upgrades to retain their audience
    4.) They thought there current players didnt want this. And couldn't think of a way of making it so it would make them want to quit while still getting new players.. YEah back to point 1.

Every one who plays now seems to have played before and is now like striving to better a previous preformance or playing with people they know already and just in it for the comunity or something

No idea how the game can expect to get new customers given the compitition out there.

Trash of clans is pretty trashy but its one of the biggest games out there, Formula is similar to travian, but guess what travian still loses cos its stupid german engineer cant get its head round what the modern consumer wants.

It dont want some in-depth strategy straight away or to be slightly more protected during the early stages of the game (which is what travian did, by no means bad but not enough.) so u dont get crapped on that actually some what fun to some people? Like Getting rekt should be part of any PvP game.

For some people I think they just like feeling they are building villages, at least Im not sure what most of my farms think they are doing but I guess thats it. Also I seen quite a few players just spamming more and more villages without building troops for any purpose.

What is stoping the game from even having a chance is that theres no more noobs no one logs in and thinks "this is a great game I wana play and get good"

I gaurantee the log in and think "WTF this isnt 1990."

Crist sakes even evony crapped on them looool GG travian U live in the 1970s and you haven't long left, so long (I guess the guy who had the oringial idea actually left or went to do something else, because the rest from the look of it are not that smart or invoative and are pretty damn h

Btw theres a new game called like quest of sparta or something its a similar format i think they could probably do quite well if they did some decent marketing like I dont actually think its that hard I just think they are out of touch or something or no money for adds.. they had the same add for agessssss litterally ages and theres nothing new to advertise.

They are pretty lucky there mechanics are just better than most others (although evony's combat system considerably more indepth) else I wouldn't be here. Every other 2d Mmo osg or w,e seems to have really soft resets if you lose, like you cant lose completly your always some what safe or requires money to get past just the very basics, or has no end game (Which is way worse than any end game) because then its really sad like it just goes on forever and eventually theres some one at the end like "hey where'd every body go??"

But in comparison to literally about every other game of its gene rue animations sucks and its just super off putting.

Good news is theres still a market.. We gona have to wait for travian 6 (if they make it that far) because t5 is just t4 but super geared towards new players surviving and having a decent game without any knowledge like it forces team work onto you which is quite nice but still not enough IMO we'll see

I know for like clash of clans and other crappier games people like just seeing their fighters going in and stuff to like destroy towers or whatever

Maybe after T5 it'll get to the point where you cant farm so many things that thats actually possible to have some animations on fights.. but I really wonder how much memory that actually uses if they generate on request or something I dont think basic animiation is that costly even for T4 on battles even if its quite rudimentary would still be a nice touch to have a vod for your first adventure etc

Maybe eventually they'll get to Total war level and can actually controll units and fight a battle like it would be fought, they'd have to scrap there combat mechanics though.. But meh maybe its too much change, sure the stratergy of send attacks at night so they wont notice and catch offense at home etc is gona keep the game going.. I think not

Its pretty painfull even now like one day you wana go to sleep but NOPE whole alliance is attacking guess what no one who knows wtf they are doing is online so looks like u gota stay up and save ur alliance by telling people to sending there troop icons all over the place YAY thats definatly reactive combat right there. Feels super rewarding when you catch the dumbass send his hero to attack scout arti ? (well kinda)

But better if combat is actualyl combat not just SEND and wait wait wait prodecularly generated report with 0 animation based on troop values nothing else expect hero stat wall stat and resi/palace stats....

Its still kinda better than trash of clans but yeaa

Man there is so much stuff they can change and I think if they had some decent ideas they might be able to, I got little to no faith in them, or in general the administration of the game or its forums always let me down I feel or maybe I just need to be banned and moderated all the time >.>>>>>>>>

and like how hard can it be to get some one to be a fair MH i suppose quite hard if you look at Like judges I guess that gripe is not for this rant maybe but w.e I ranted soo fkin long already

But yeah overall travian sucks the guy who had the bright spark to inovate the game with the villages and he troops and to make it sorta realistic that your village can be destroyed resources can be plundred and then finished it off with a WW. I think he quit or retired or something

Cos the since that point there is not many major changes to core gameplay. I forgot why people started leaving in T3.6 I remember that patch people left, and more for T4 I think
    But very few new people joined and since artis (another weird lazy magical effect to go along with the WWs and the "natars") hasnt been any major improvements to game play

Quality of life changes with the same game plays and strategy.. ha, travian kingdoms is not enough and is several years too late. 3 years before it would have been a massive succsess

game is dying, company is dead, half hearted and deserving to lose its spot and its customers. Just not enough done

Also I feel like the betas are just looking for bugs theres no development in there betas, there just extended periods where they try and make their product marketable... And then they cant handle 40k people logging in at once.. In comparison to other games its a pitiful amount but still I guess thats hard for them for probably legitimate reasons.

But techinical side also gets a thumbs down from me, I know fa about it but just as a consumer I think other companies are doing it better

Have very little good to say about it really just was a good enough game when all I had was a crappy mac and I wanted to play total war. Other than that company sucks ass Im pretty sure despite the fact that they are germans, that they are all slackers and hippies.
    If they still got capital they could hire some decent game devs and go do something interesting instead of quality of life changes to a game they should have been inovating and improving years ago.

Rant over
    No-cringe signature.

Rant !! I grew a beard while reading ; ) Seems HQ laid off a large part of the workforce hence the development has suffered & we're now not in a war game but a testing field where accountants will key in the gold numbers & let the owners know the viability of keeping certain aspects going.

So here it is :

Tribe registered Percent
    Romans 213 33.4
    Teutons 131 20.6
    Gauls 292 45.8

The competition is out there but it's doing quite a bit better *nod*

Active MemberActive MemberActive Member

Trash of clans is pretty trashy but its one of the biggest games out there, Formula is similar to travian, but guess what travian still loses cos its stupid german engineer cant get its head round what the modern consumer wants.

lol there is a huge difference between clash of clans and travian. in trav you need to watch the acc 24/7 to make sure you have an acc next day while in CoC you can take your time and be even only 30 min /day and still progress... you have only 1 villa to grow and upgrade deff, troops, spells and after you get destroyed/0ed your villa is back to same lv as before... so u don`t have to start all over again. like any other game out there you can grow faster with money, but as opposite trav you don`t need money to grow and survive 24/7 potential attacks... if you are not in rush to get to higher town halls you can take your time and grow slow but steady without spending a single quid.

besides a very flexible time and no need to pay to grow fast in order to survive on the map, CoC has a great animation... you can actually see the fight and use heroes, differ troops composition and spells... also it is a very strategic game in building the right base, choosing the right army and spells composition and come with plans of attack. it is way more complex than trav when come of fighting (sending 4 waves same sec, cutting waves or timing same sec attacks with other team mates means very little compare with the strategies involved in clash of clans).
    in here the game mechanics is more or less the same while in there you can chose to raid for loot, or push for trophies or war with other clans or all 3 of the above and the war only last for 1 day with 23 hrs prep time therefore always you have new clans to fight with new challenges, type of bases, skilled opponents etc.

Just to point out why clash of clans is so liked and apparently best game in the world of these type for few years running... I am so glad I stopped playing trav where i was having no life watching the pc for attacks or wait to execute planned attacks etc and where I was spending few good hundred quid every server and found clash... great game for all.
    UK 5 - Hawkeye
    UK 19 - The 3 stooges