Thread: Sitters From Outside An Alliance

Default Sitters From Outside An Alliance

The game should be coded to only allow sitters from within an Alliance. No account from outside of an Alliance should be able to act as a sitter and therefore spy!

No; the coding shouldn't change - that would unfairly restrict the right of players to choose their sitters.

There are rules in place so that anyone who forces themselves to be set as sitter could be punished. Beyond that, whether someone is sitting or not can be a bit academic - if someone wants to spy there are plenty of ways to share information that don't require a sitter to be set (forwarded messages, sharing screen shots etc.) It would just constrain the actions of the wrong people.

If you don't trust your players, this wouldn't fix it. One way to ensure there are no alliance sitters are for there to be two sitters set from within the alliance so the slots are used up. If you have deep concerns, these would be people that you do trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha78 View Post
    No; the coding shouldn't change - that would unfairly restrict the right of players to choose their sitters..
    So your statement exposes your game style of sitting an account and spying, which I may add has ruined travian over the years. To only have Alliance sitters is what it should be and this could be easily coded in. if you wish to have a particular sitter then both join the same Alliance.

There are rules in place so that anyone who forces themselves to be set as sitter could be punished.
    So zeroing or attempting to zero a players account until they let them sit them, is that against the rules?

Beyond that, whether someone is sitting or not can be a bit academic - if someone wants to spy there are plenty of ways to share information that don't require a sitter to be set (forwarded messages, sharing screen shots etc.) It would just constrain the actions of the wrong people.
    You would have more control of an Alliance if you knew that there were no outside eyes watching.

If you don't trust your players, this wouldn't fix it. One way to ensure there are no alliance sitters are for there to be two sitters set from within the alliance so the slots are used up. If you have deep concerns, these would be people that you do trust.
    Who trusts anyone they don't know in travian these days? have you ever been a sitter manager in an Alliance? its a waste of your game playing time and you only need to set someone else for 10 minutes and then reset your watchdog. If the game were coded so you could visually see or the leaders could see who the sitters were I would accept that.

It's a long term debate. It's not necessarily 'my style' - you make assumptions. The game is a strategic one and spying is part of warfare. There are plenty of ways to spy that don't involving sitting directly.

Zeroing an account is not against the rules (it is a game that includes war...). A player shouldn't be forced to set anyone as a sitter - if it extended to repeated, aggressive messages for example, that could be considered harassment and punishable under the rules. The sitting functionality also essentially permits sitting on 'read-only' basis e.g. gold cannot be spent and troops cannot be moved.

As I said, eyes can be watching even without access via sitting. It's not difficult to email/skype screenshots. The access available is considerably less now that the defence side of reports are not visible within an alliance. I was indeed a sitter manager - I'm one of the few people that enjoyed it, because it was like matchmaking.

You're essentially naive to hope to rely on technology to secure your alliance. If people want to leak information, they will. Better off trying to create an environment where your players don't feel the desire to leak information. (And tell them to have secure passwords that aren't the same as when they dualled with someone on another server etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha78 View Post
    It's a long term debate. It's not necessarily 'my style' - you make assumptions. The game is a strategic one and spying is part of warfare. There are plenty of ways to spy that don't involving sitting directly.
    Spying is part of warfare but it is an exacting art form in the real world. Spying in travian has contributed to its demise.

Zeroing an account is not against the rules (it is a game that includes war...). A player shouldn't be forced to set anyone as a sitter - if it extended to repeated, aggressive messages for example, that could be considered harassment and punishable under the rules. The sitting functionality also essentially permits sitting on 'read-only' basis e.g. gold cannot be spent and troops cannot be moved.
    An experienced player can threaten to zero an account to gain access to it and then spy. So players are 'forced' to let their attackers sit them because if they don't their game will be ended. So only having Alliance sitters would stop this. Don't you agree?

As I said, eyes can be watching even without access via sitting. It's not difficult to email/skype screenshots. The access available is considerably less now that the defence side of reports are not visible within an alliance. I was indeed a sitter manager - I'm one of the few people that enjoyed it, because it was like matchmaking.
    If you knew that there could be no sitter from outside the Alliance you would have a greater chance of finding the weasel especially with other game modifications which would give leaders only access to certain information like who was online and the attack board.

You're essentially naive to hope to rely on technology to secure your alliance. If people want to leak information, they will. Better off trying to create an environment where your players don't feel the desire to leak information. (And tell them to have secure passwords that aren't the same as when they dualled with someone on another server etc.)
    And yet technology has been allowed to omit sitters from viewing Alliance forums. Maybe by having only Alliance sitters this bit of technology could be removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Smith View Post
    Spying is part of warfare but it is an exacting art form in the real world. Spying in travian has contributed to its demise.
    Umm how exactly? it conforms to real life, maybe you are no good at it? Many have used this in their tactics on both sides to win the "war"

An experienced player can threaten to zero an account to gain access to it and then spy. So players are 'forced' to let their attackers sit them because if they don't their game will be ended. So only having Alliance sitters would stop this. Don't you agree?
    This is against the rules, and the player concerned should either work with leadership or inform the MH, suggest you inform your members on these options....Seems you might have bad leadership that your members would consider accepting this bribe...

If you knew that there could be no sitter from outside the Alliance you would have a greater chance of finding the weasel especially with other game modifications which would give leaders only access to certain information like who was online and the attack board.
    I take it you are young and inexperienced in life from this comment, seems a common trait in todays youth: It is not about the leaders, every account has their choice, if you were a good leader and concerned about this you should ensure each player has their sitterslots full.
    In saying that you cannot force this on an account, so learn how to detect such circumstantces, many have over the years and used it to thier benefit.
    I would also add you sound very americian by this comment, no thinking of the impact and suprised by the "European" ideas that privacy is entitled. Note: Not every foregiener/someone different is communist or IS or what every they dream up next...

Not saying you are, but it is idiots like you that allow the Patriot act.

And yet technology has been allowed to omit sitters from viewing Alliance forums. Maybe by having only Alliance sitters this bit of technology could be removed?
    Dumb statement tbh.
    Last edited by crossbreed; 13 Nov 2015 at 12:36 AM.

You believe spying in travian has contributed to its demise. I’m not persuaded it’s anything other than a marginal factor - there are other bigger driver behind player numbers. You will find some players who enjoy spying and it keeps them interested in the game.

On sitting, repeating your argument doesn’t make it any less true that players have ultimate control over whether to set sitters. As an alliance leader, what you really seem to be saying is that attackers threaten your players - and either your alliance refuses to help protect their account, or they don’t approach you to help them. And therefore someone in your alliance has set an enemy to protect themselves.