Thread: Forum Medal

Default Forum Medal

Sorry, Cretin gave me an idea!

I remember there used to be days where we had upto 2,496 users browsing the forum at any one time... I remember when members used to get banned for spamming too much.

In comparison all I see now is a ghost town

So how about we come up with some ideas for having Travian players registering and posting in the forum? Perhaps if forum members had medals to display in-game, it will attract more people to sign up!

Could even have medals for things like:

This gamer is a valued member of the UK Forums!
    This gamer has been a member of our UK Forums for since xxxx!
    This gamer has posted over x posts on the UK Forums!
    This gamer has over x friends on the UK Forums!

What's the last question you would want me to ask in this sig?
    Here it is:
    What's the purpose of life?

Spend 10 gold in game and get a medal in a forum? That should fit in with the current game tinkerers...

Angelic

I like LA's idea. The medal will have to be a nice medal, not like the horrid veteran medal. Why people put those horrid things on their profiles I don't know.
    ukx4, ukx7, ukx8 & ukx10 - wgn, wgn, wgn & wgn , ukx11 - emily , ukx12 - Milkyway , ukx13 - Smelly Romans , ukx14 - Ayra & illii
    s1,7 - Raving Cabbage

This is actually fairly easy to implement, but it would require the installation of a certain modification called Yet Another Awards System from vBulletin.org; that'd require HQ's permission and I'm not sure they'd be willing to allow it but it can be automated.

Conversely, you could create a profile field which could be integrated onto the postbit, but that would require custom code (and would also require HQ's permission). The logistics of it is simple but would require extra upkeep as I don't believe it can be automated.

¤ Knowledge is Power ¤

Somewhat unsurprisingly, HQ haven't been particularly enthusiastic about using external mods after the whole hacking of the forums thing and the general increased risk of cyber attacks. (And I'm not sure of the relevance - we already have a couple of ways for things to be displayed on the forum; linking the game and the forum is a different matter. It can and has been done for Travian:Kingdoms. The set-up for most forums and T4 make it pretty difficult to have that level of integration.

Connecting game and forum was trialed rather unsuccessfully in the past. That being said there is an award system approved for TG forums (its just not particularly good, the medal would only show on the "about me"page of your profile. and the options are extremely limited.)

In the past we had forum awards that could be displayed in the Sig perhaps this is an option for those of use who already have titles and awards in the left hand postbit.

Quote Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
    That being said there is an award system approved for TG forums (its just not particularly good, the medal would only show on the "about me"page of your profile. and the options are extremely limited.)
    That was the mod I mentioned, it can be set to appear on the postbit (I've got a forum with it set up on, so poke me if you want to play about with it). It can be pretty versatile but I chose not to implement the automated aspects of it.

¤ Knowledge is Power ¤

Community Manager UK/US mhudson's Avatar

Thanks LR, I will look into this more and see what we can/cant implement.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager
    Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member PinkFairyKing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FA mhudson View Post
    Thanks LR, I will look into this more and see what we can/cant implement.
    I didnt even realise... when did Avi stop being admin?

Apparently since Oct 2013

What's the last question you would want me to ask in this sig?
    Here it is:
    What's the purpose of life?