Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return of Forum Reputation

Community Manager UK/US mhudson's Avatar

Default Return of Forum Reputation

Hey Folks

Some of you asked for forum reputation to be returned in
    This Thread

There clearly is an appetite for reputation to return, after discussing with the forum team I have decided to re-enable the reputation system.

Your reputation giving power is based on a number of factors, including;
    - Post Count,
    - Length of time on the forum
    - Your Reputation.

All users are required to have a minimum of 100 posts and at least 5 reputation before being able to give reputation to others. These restrictions are to prevent a new users / spammers abusing others through the reputation system. The minimum requirement will be monitored and if required increased to prevent miss-use.

My aim is for the system to reward more senior/active members of the forum with the ability to give more reputation and encourage newer members to contribute more.

You are not able to give negative reputation.

All reputation comments will be monitored, if you think someone is abusing the system please report it to myself or a member of the forum team.

Matt
    Last edited by mhudson; 17 Dec 2015 at 09:59 PM.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager
    Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

My reputation power is 6, but what does that mean exactly? What is the difference between what I can do and what someone with power 1 could do?
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    You just jump around like a tart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elros View Post
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

When you give reputation it gives 6 points rather than 1. At the moment reputation does not mean much other than you get more green bars and kudos but in the future reputation could possibly be tied to forum rank, extra privileges etc.

This means that you and the other more active/senior members of the forum have the ability to affect other peoples progression through ranks, hopefully you will nurture and mentor them along the way.

The ability to give more points is a trial, if its miss-used or not working then it could be set back to the default of everyone only giving 1 point
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

Thanks for the explanation. It might be good if at some point we could choose the amount to give, I might think a post worth repping but not worth 6 rep, though appreciate that might be difficult to work, i've no idea about coding and that kind of stuff.
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinJames View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. It might be good if at some point we could choose the amount to give, I might think a post worth repping but not worth 6 rep, though appreciate that might be difficult to work, i've no idea about coding and that kind of stuff.
    Thats a nice idea but its not available in VB as standard. Unfortunately we cant use third-party add-ons except from a pre-approved list, otherwise we would have something more like the facebook like system. That being said perhaps if i can find (or write) something appropriate then maybe HQ would approve it
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member PinkFairyKing's Avatar

Is there any way of seeing how much rep a member has?

Not how many points a member has but the number of green bars shows the level or reputation. Do you think the level names could be clearer ?
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by FA mhudson View Post
    Not how many points a member has but the number of green bars shows the level or reputation. Do you think the level names could be clearer ?
    The bar could be a bit more noticeable for sure.

The bar could be a bit more noticeable for sure.
    Now that might be something i can change. Will have a look to see what i can do tomorrow. Also although the levels have changed so some people may gain an extra bar. i cant run the maintenance script to implement the change
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

Now that might be something i can change. Will have a look to see what i can do tomorrow. Also although the levels have changed so some people may gain an extra bar. i cant run the maintenance script to implement the change
    Thanks Matt! I had some reservations about bringing back rep when it was first sounded out, but the way its being executed is great and put any doubts to bed. Will certainly encourage more people to do analyses, interviews and creative posts I think.

My reputation power is 6, but what does that mean exactly? What is the difference between what I can do and what someone with power 1 could do?
    And there I was thinking I was more than 50% better than you... If only there was a better way to validate my ego and I...

Now that might be something i can change. Will have a look to see what i can do tomorrow. Also although the levels have changed so some people may gain an extra bar. i cant run the maintenance script to implement the change :D
    Okay, I have 9 points from over 1,000 posts, and I'm not yet of "repute". A quick check, shows no-one is of repute... so if getting points is only for very good contributions, why is so difficult for people to see you are "of repute" or what you have been commended for.

Personally I would like it to be clear when a post "of repute" has been made, so more attention is drawn to post "of repute". This would surely allow those who want to go past the usually standard of posts to those "of repute".

With this in mind Mod's should be able to give points without a limitation on giving them to others. I'll explain. Last S2 a Mod contacted me, telling me that they could not commend my Ally Analysis. This was because they had commended me before, and not others in between. If something is "of repute", it is "of repute". It should not be diluted by posts that don't make the cut.

So, in summary...

1) Posts of repute should be in a box, like "Most replied to threads", "New Forum Posts" and "Newest threads".
    2) Mods should not be constrained on who they give repute to.
    3) Senior Mods should be able to regulate new Mods, if this is abused.
    4) Normal users should not be able to give points for repute, as the forums are already tribal enough as it is.
    5) Normal users should not be able to give points for repute, as it devalues the repute system
    6) How many points of repute a person has should be displayed, along with a link to those posts.
    7) If someone posts a link to a thread of repute a star or some other small symbol should appear at the start of it.
    8) If you keep the 5 points and 100 post thing, then who has given the point should be displayed.
    Last edited by Bloated Fish; 18 Dec 2015 at 12:44 AM.
    A proud member of the CF leadership - Boots.

"I don't have my head up my own arse, I actually am amazing" - Darkwing Duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloated Fish View Post
    And there I was thinking I was more than 50% better than you... If only there was a better way to validate my ego and I...

Okay, I have 9 points from over 1,000 posts, and I'm not yet of "repute". A quick check, shows no-one is of repute... so if getting points is only for very good contributions, why my is so difficult for people to see you are "of repute" or what you have been commended for

Personally I would like it to be clear when a post "of repute" has been made, so more attention is drawn to post "of repute". This would surely allow those who want to go past the usually standard of posts to those "of repute".

With this in mind Mod's should be able to give points without a limitation on giving them to others. I'll explain. Last S2 a Mod contacted me, telling me that they could not commend my Ally Analysis. This was because they had commended me before, and not others in between. If something is "of repute", it is "of repute". It should not be diluted by posts that don't make the cut.
    Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately alot of what you suggested is not possible with this version of VB and the restrictions set on forum plugins and tools. I would love there to be something more facebook style where its clear people like a post but as it stands there is no approved plugin. I will discuss with Chrisvc how to get new plugins approved but i cant make any promises.

So in response to your general points.

Your points will primarily be from the time since you registered rather than your post count. Currently most people show as having no repute since i cant run the recalculation script which is required after updating the levels. (I have requested that its run). Some people will gain reputation green bars once the script is run.
    Since reputation has only been enabled a few hours after a long period of not being used most members will have no or low reputation. after a few weeks i would expect active members rep to increase.

Its not possible to see what posts have been given rep except via the admin cp. We are not allowed to use plugins not on the very short list of approved plugins. This version of VB does not permit moderators to have separate rep rules, its an all or nothing system. Admins are the only people who are exempt however given your suggestion i have reduced the requirement down. You only need to rep one other person before giving rep again to the same member.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloated Fish View Post
    So, in summary...

1) Posts of repute should be in a box, like "Most replied to threads", "New Forum Posts" and "Newest threads".
    Great idea but not possible without a plugin as far as i can see. I will look more into this however.

2) Mods should not be constrained on who they give repute to.
    Its not possible to make mods exempt from the reputation rules

3) Senior Mods should be able to regulate new Mods, if this is abused.
    This is the case not just for other mods but also to manage user reputation comments to ensure they follow forum rules

4) Normal users should not be able to give points for repute, as the forums are already tribal enough as it is.
    5) Normal users should not be able to give points for repute, as it devalues the repute system
    As explained above there are minimum requirements to be able to give rep. But either all normal members can give rep or none of them can. As explained previously the ability to give rep could be tied to forum rank in the future if this trial does not work. Perhaps after a few weeks of this trial we can then discuss more further changes to the system.

If you wish for a return to the old system where only mods can give reputation then i would sugest creating a poll and getting support for that.

6) How many points of repute a person has should be displayed, along with a link to those posts.
    7) If someone posts a link to a thread of repute a star or some other small symbol should appear at the start of it.
    Again not possible without plugins.
    Last edited by mhudson; 18 Dec 2015 at 12:52 AM.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

I sent this to you in private, but since your reply I feel it should actually be on here...

"So, it has already started.

I made a post, and someone (X) agreed with it. They have then given me a point of repute. Now X is a friend, who I have been on a server with. Someone I have as a skype contact. They are a nice person, and thought I made a good point. But the last post I made is in no way comparable to my posts on WWK and WWR records, which take a huge amount of time and effort.

My last post is not what infrequent members of the forum care about. I know this because I'm an infrequent member of other websites. And it is the same there. People who agree with each other vote up each others profiles. And whilst it may be done with the best intentions, it is not useful for the average person.

I feel, having given it a little more thought, you should have two systems. Both displayed. One, I have talked about in the post on the forum, and should not be open to members of the public. It should be for great posts, that take time, effort and research. "posts of repute"

The other system could be the "community recognition" or something less wordy. Essentially with the same restrictions you say, but to give value to more regular posters, and to encourage new ones to continue posting interesting points of view.

Regards
    Adam"

--------------------
    To address your points specifically

1) Can you explain a little bit more on this, as I don't understand why "Most replied to threads", "New Forum Posts" and "Newest threads" don't need plugins, and "posts of repute do". Or is it a case of the others do require plugins, but we (the UK domain) have no power to introduce new plugins?

2) If the systems were separated, this would be possible, no?

3) Yes they are, I kind of new this already, but wanted to re-iterate it. But I feel this new system will not be as tightly regulated. I really should not have more reputation points for my above posts. A Mod (like Sam or LMT) would not give me a point for it.

4 and 5) I feel it is already failing. But maybe you have a different idea of the purpose of the reputation points?

A poll supports what the most active members want to see, not the infrequent members we should be looking to attract back. A poll is self-serving, not what is best for the forum in general.

You recognise this, even if you don't wish to agree with me. The proof is that you seek to regulate the reputation system too.

I think one of the issues with rep has been that MODs didn't use it frequently enough. . There were people with a load of posts and no rep, that were great contributors. I've done a shedload of ally analyses and only ever got rep for 2, and when I put them up they're generally the most read threads on the forum at the time. The interviews , which also took effort and were popular reads, never got any recognition. I did once get rep for saying Ross was my favourite MOD though. I don't think it particularly devalues rep if people can actually use it, especially since its only people who've contributed and been recognised a certain amount already who can use it. If anything, I think it will encourage people to make better posts, If my analyses are clearly being recognised when they're quality i'll be more likely to write them. I think with more recognition people will be more inclined to try analyses etc. If the quality of posts goes up people will be more likely to come here, read and comment.

Like I say, MODs are banned from giving you too much rep. This is point 2. I've had the same on ally analysis. The solution is giving them more liberties, not the likes of me.

And also making the more publicised should make people read them, and that is a point of clarity, not a point of giving people more access.

As for Ross giving you a point for that, yeah, abuse of power, that should be removed. This sort of thing will only become more frequent.

**warning - may be a long post**

We can’t have non-approved plugins. They can put the security of the forum at risk. Anyone will a long memory will recall the great hacking incident and how long the forum was offline for (and how limited the functionality was for a significant period after that). Hacking/cyber risk is now a fact of life, we shouldn’t make it too easy.

You can kinda guess roughly who has how much reputation by sorting the member list by reputation. http://archive.forum.travian.co.uk/m...putation&pp=30 For example, it’s quite amusing to watch the MLGJ vs. Ryder race as they are typically pretty close.

The mod limitation has been a bit of a pain. While I have given out rep points over the years, there is more friction than ideal - you can’t rep the same person too often (which when a small group of players are making significant contributions is a bit of a pain); and you can only give out so much rep a day. (And personally, I read the forum from my private account, not my mod account). They are sensible restrictions for players, but not for mods. But we’re stuck with them. On the plus side, I now can give out rep from 2 accounts, so that’ll make it quite a bit easier. Oh…hmm…my mod account has 0 rep power lol, my private account has a rep power of 11.

With the constraints about - length of account, post count, existing rep - it’s a sensible approach for posters to be allowed to give reputation.

In terms of which posts should be repped, I’ve done it for various things over the years in terms of descending frequency:
    - contributions that required effort - alliance analysis, wwk threads, etc.
    - positive and constructive posts where people put in game battles aside, particularly people who create and post in the end of server award threads
    - helpful answering of questions for new/confused players
    - stuff that is particularly smart/funny
    - from time to time, as positive reinforcement when a player with infractions/a bit of bad history engages in a positive/friendly way

Oh, and please leave comments when you give reputation
    Last edited by Samantha78; 19 Dec 2015 at 02:34 AM.

Mr Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MLGJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy D View Post
    My recollection is that rep was removed because people the mods didn't want to receive rep were being given it by forum users. The simple truth is that the people the mods don't like will never be allowed to have a high status on this forum.
    Forum users weren't allowed to give rep before

Plus why is my post count seemingly stuck at 1657...maybe this is the real conspiracy

edit Ha, they knew I was onto them so added one, I'm watching you all, now i have my tin foil hat you won't steal my thoughts
    This post was brought to you by "Mr Fantastic"

Yayyyyy made it on to setbacks ignore list, can give it but not take it
    Let me guess, some kind of funny joke?
    This message is hidden because MLGJ is on your ignore list.

Where is my apology from MLGJ, for his insult on the forums? - URSULA THE MINOR
    In your dreams Sunshine xx

The simple truth is that the people the mods don't like will never be allowed to have a high status on this forum.
    Sounds like a simpleton's truth rather than a simple truth.

#THEMODSHATEME
    #FIGHTTHEPOWER

^I'm cool

My recollection is that rep was removed because people the mods didn't want to receive rep were being given it by forum users. The simple truth is that the people the mods don't like will never be allowed to have a high status on this forum.
    I perhaps have a different view of how things should be done. In my view Mods are first and formost here to facilitate, This is something I will develop more in the new year but i don't think a "us and them" mentality helps a forum evolve and develop.
    I feel that while the moderators do have to enforce the rules (we all hate spambots) common sense and openness should be key. A mod should encorage discussion, prompt users to take part in competitions or debates and provide support to the users. The actual moderating is something that should non obtrusive, fair and just.

A forum is for the members not the crew, we are just here as caretakers to sweep up the leaves..... And to that end over the next few months i will be looking at subtle changes to give the more senior and active members more say and status.

You are all welcome to chat with me on skype, just PM me for my details, I would much rather have open and honest informal discussion about things you like or don't like about your forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MLGJ View Post
    Forum users weren't allowed to give rep before

Plus why is my post count seemingly stuck at 1657...maybe this is the real conspiracy

edit Ha, they knew I was onto them so added one, I'm watching you all, now i have my tin foil hat you won't steal my thoughts
    MLGJ is on to us, quick add a few more posts to his score ........

*seriously if you think theres an issue pm me as im still unraveling some of the interesting settings that have been applied*
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

Mmmmm, that's not what happened

There is a legend known as 'rep wars'. Where a small number of users (all were able to give it, but it predates most of the current users) gave out excessive (and I mean really excessive) amounts of rep fairly randomly and were also using it to harass other members. The slightly more controlled implementation should limit the risks this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast