View Poll Results: Would you be interested in playing a x10 (or faster) server?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 21.43%
  • No

11 78.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An idea I wish to suggest

Heavy D

Default An idea I wish to suggest

Last edited by Heavy D; 24 Dec 2015 at 03:21 PM.

It would have to be incredibly quick to finish in a matter of days. So quick that literally by the time a page loads your warehouse and granary would be full again
    Think outside of the box, create your own path in life. “You laugh at me because I am different; I laugh because you are all the same.”
    ~ Daniel Knode

Doesn't make sense commercially because people won't buy gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    You just jump around like a tart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elros View Post
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

Community Manager UK/US mhudson's Avatar

Its an interesting idea but as MJ said it doesn't make commercial sense. Another issue would be implementing coding changes to adjust the speed to fit as well as infrastructure and support all of which take considerable time and money.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager
    Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

Angelic

I don't see this idea working as a server of the speeds your talking don't leave enough time for proper gameplay. Equally, organising teams, communicating with your team and organising actions within the game are extremely hard to the point that they almost won't be possible.

Short length servers like the one you are suggesting do/have happened on unofficial domains (not supported by travian games), and my experience of them has been carnage. They were fun for the first 30 minutes, then you get up to make a cup of tea and next thing you know everything you've done that morning has been undone while you were away. To effectively play such a server you need to practically be glued to your computer which isn't something a lot of people would want to be over the christmas period.

A better idea that I think would be more successful is a server of prebuilt accounts with added registration parameters of not only tribe and quad but play style with a set number of troops already built (similar to numbers found in endgame). Culture points would be unlimited at registration and server length would be a set period of time. Victory could be decided by artefacts gained per alliance (with artefacts being rated using points system decided by artefact quality), or perhaps by using a 'capture the flag' style game with a set number of flags being released and the alliance that holds the most gaining the win.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by wgn; 19 Dec 2015 at 08:35 AM.
    ukx4, ukx7, ukx8 & ukx10 - wgn, wgn, wgn & wgn , ukx11 - emily , ukx12 - Milkyway , ukx13 - Smelly Romans , ukx14 - Ayra & illii
    s1,7 - Raving Cabbage

Quote Originally Posted by wgn View Post

A better idea that I think would be more successful is a server of prebuilt accounts with added registration parameters of not only tribe and quad but play style with a set number of troops already built (similar to numbers found in endgame). Culture points would be unlimited at registration and server length would be a set period of time. Victory could be decided by artefacts gained per alliance (with artefacts being rated using points system decided by artefact quality), or perhaps by using a 'capture the flag' style game with a set number of flags being released and the alliance that holds the most gaining the win.

Just my thoughts.
    I like that idea !!!! little bit like age of empires where you start with a small number of villagers and as you pass the goals for each age you get additional rewards or features.

That is something that could work i think
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy D View Post
    @FA mhudson - I prefer my idea but if wgn's is the preferred option, fair enough. Are you going to set it up and make it happen, or do nothing and miss the opportunity this time of year brings?
    As i explained both in this thread and in PM While its a nice idea on paper, in reality it does not make sound business sense.

Before any idea can become reality there is a long process that has to be followed at HQ which takes many months before any changes can be made to server speed. There have been faster speed servers in the past but nothing on this scale because above a set level the game becomes unstable. This is why illegal private servers have so many issues. For TG to offer something as fast they would need to do extensive testing to ensure the game is as stable as possible and have adequate support in place.

Hopefully this gives you a little more understanding why even if HQ loved the idea it couldn't be done in such a short time scale especially with the christmas holidays now starting.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member PinkFairyKing's Avatar

Travian ran an official short server for select people a couple of years ago didnt they? What was the speed of that one?

'My idea is great, no matter how many people point out the numerous flaws'
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFairyKing View Post
    Travian ran an official short server for select people a couple of years ago didnt they? What was the speed of that one?
    I belive it was a 10x server but it had major issues with event jams when the server couldent cope
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

they call me superman
    i'm here to rescue you

I played a 10x server (for travian crew only), and thought that was too quick for me (problems with overflow/too short of time to see incoming attacks (making a single account impossible). Other players seemed disinterested as well.

A millionx server would be over in 20 minutes or so? Let's say you meant a 100x speed server instead for the sake of the argument. So many aspects of the game are being lost with having a server that fast (diplomacy, cooperation between players, the need to set up an effective account and the need to be not online all the time to name a few).

Knowing how hard it is to get ideas implemented, I would give this idea a very slim chance of even getting proposed by local crew to the ones running the game. As mentioned, they have trialed faster servers than 3x, and iirc, those servers had fewer players than the normal 3x servers (and definatley lower gold revenue).

Ref wgn's version, it would be cool to try something like that (pre trained troops), and it seems a bit more likely to be passed on
    GTB - Eeyore, Arwen&Elrond, Rotta The Hutt, Tussi | City something - Eddard Stark| UV - New Deli, Bane| T-rex - Maida- All on ukx.
    Now playing on Tea and Cake in GTB

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy D View Post
    My idea is great. A couple of people with negative attitudes won't change that.
    Your idea is dreadful. Get over it. It doesn't suit the game at all. The best things about the game - the things that make people want to play - are lost by that speed. You don't have time to get to know people in the alliance, you don't have time for proper diplomacy, you don't have time for proper organisation of offense or defense. SO what the heck do you think is so great?

Whether i've put forward anything or not isn't relevant, doesn't change the quality of your suggestion.
    Last edited by MartinJames; 19 Dec 2015 at 04:33 PM.

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

I don't think "dreadful" is very constructive, to be honest. The idea isn't awful, but I think the time of year and the speed are problems that can't truly be overcome. As much as we might (occasionally) find ceasefires annoying, people actually have this terrible thing called a RealLife™ which frequently gets in the way of more important pursuits like playing Travian. Many an empire has suffered pure carnage when people weren't able to get online between Giftmas and New Year, so a ceasefire actually makes sense.

As for the speed... at L20 main building the level 1 wheat takes 70 seconds on a 1x speed server. Divide that by any large number and, well, you simply can't click fast enough to play the game at maximum efficiency. That kills all "complete construction immediately" gold spending at least.

Judging by the signup numbers alone, I know I'm not the only one who'd consider anything faster than 3x to be sheer whiplash

Maybe we could come up with something interesting to do in the forums for those of us without much RealLife™ social stuff going on?

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member PinkFairyKing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post
    A millionx server would be over in 20 minutes or so? Let's say you meant a 100x speed server instead for the sake of the argument. So many aspects of the game are being lost with having a server that fast (diplomacy, cooperation between players, the need to set up an effective account and the need to be not online all the time to name a few).

Knowing how hard it is to get ideas implemented, I would give this idea a very slim chance of even getting proposed by local crew to the ones running the game. As mentioned, they have trialed faster servers than 3x, and iirc, those servers had fewer players than the normal 3x servers (and definatley lower gold revenue).

Ref wgn's version, it would be cool to try something like that (pre trained troops), and it seems a bit more likely to be passed on
    I have just checked and the server that ran a couple of years ago and that was a 100x server. You can read a bit about it here. If I remember correctly it lasted for about a week and it wasnt very well balanced. If I remember correctly there werent many accounts on the server, maybe only 100 and if you left your account overnight it was game over :p . Im sure Chris could comment on whether a similar server is likely to run again?

Also, I would imagine that a server similar to that would not bring in much revenue from gold sales as the server is so short. So while Travian probably could implement such a server again, it seems unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bat View Post
    I don't think "dreadful" is very constructive, to be honest.
    The constructive comments were the ones he ignored to plough on about how awesome his idea is. I do genuinely think it is dreadful though. So I wasn't exaggerating.

I played on that server and gave up after about 2 days As PFK said, you had to be online constantly and even with about 3 of us on the account, it wasn't enough. I think it would be good to have a similar server though, because even if it didn't generate much income, it may help boost both interest in the game and player numbers.
    i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii568/TravianComps/LMT.png

While most people in this thread seem against a quick server I would enjoy seeing one. Even though I dont play Travian any more I may (probably would) sign up for a really short server. It wouldnt need to be a serious server. The only problem is, I dont think Christmas is the best time to run this sort of server :p

Could a poll be added to this thread perhaps?

In practical terms, very fast servers are hard work for players, the MH, and computing power. 100x is about the fastest you can realistically do for obvious reasons. I believe a 1,000,000x server would finish in under 20 seconds. (Unless I'm in greater need of math revision than the OP).

http://archive.forum.travian.co.uk/s...ad.php?t=76357 is the other 100x server thread I remember - Chris played on it and quite enjoyed it. That thread has quite a bit of substantial positive and negative feedback. Because of the number of duals people would tend to have on the same account to cope, you also end up with a very low number of accounts. You have to pay really close attention to them - most people tend to want to spend at least a couple of hours with their family and friends over Xmas. I've long thought there is a nice niche for a two week or so server that could fit into a standard holiday break, but the challenge, at least in the summer, is picking which two weeks.

I think there was a test server where we got a village free at the start once (or just lots of free res) so we could get to the bit of the game that needed testing quicker. Gifting a free village does come with some downside though for the players who have a very rigid approach to how their villages are laid out.

A number of new scenarios have been tried over the past couple of years - such as the Ancient Europe servers that recognise player requests for a non-WW orientated server.

100x is less ridiculous, but I'm still not sold on it, maybe something like a 10x would be workable. Not too fast but sufficiently short-term.

Mr Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MLGJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha78 View Post
    In practical terms, very fast servers are hard work for players, the MH, and computing power. 100x is about the fastest you can realistically do for obvious reasons. I believe a 1,000,000x server would finish in under 20 seconds. (Unless I'm in greater need of math revision than the OP).

http://archive.forum.travian.co.uk/s...ad.php?t=76357 is the other 100x server thread I remember - Chris played on it and quite enjoyed it. That thread has quite a bit of substantial positive and negative feedback. Because of the number of duals people would tend to have on the same account to cope, you also end up with a very low number of accounts. You have to pay really close attention to them - most people tend to want to spend at least a couple of hours with their family and friends over Xmas. I've long thought there is a nice niche for a two week or so server that could fit into a standard holiday break, but the challenge, at least in the summer, is picking which two weeks.

I think there was a test server where we got a village free at the start once (or just lots of free res) so we could get to the bit of the game that needed testing quicker. Gifting a free village does come with some downside though for the players who have a very rigid approach to how their villages are laid out.

A number of new scenarios have been tried over the past couple of years - such as the Ancient Europe servers that recognise player requests for a non-WW orientated server.
    That 100x speed was fun for about the first 24 hours, then it just became a chore, granted I played solo but even with one or two duals I can't see it giving you time to enjoy anything but being sat in front of your phone\laptop\PC
    This post was brought to you by "Mr Fantastic"

Yayyyyy made it on to setbacks ignore list, can give it but not take it
    Let me guess, some kind of funny joke?
    This message is hidden because MLGJ is on your ignore list.

Where is my apology from MLGJ, for his insult on the forums? - URSULA THE MINOR
    In your dreams Sunshine xx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast