Thread: Next semi ridiculous\serious idea.

Mr Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MLGJ's Avatar

Default Next semi ridiculous\serious idea.

So since Heavy D's idea of a million times server didn't go down too well, how about a version designed to catch the more casual gamers.

As we know with travian being a 24x7 game without duals\sitters it sucks a lot of time over a year period.

Now ignoring the claims of it would be impossible to code would you be inclined to pay a version that only ran for 8-10 hours a day.....Maybe have a server running 6am- 2/4 pm and one running 5pm-3am to cater for the different situations people have. Obvious the game would essentially have to freeze at the close time so troop movements\field production\building construction would have to stop where they were and then carry on when the server reopened.
    This post was brought to you by "Mr Fantastic"

Yayyyyy made it on to setbacks ignore list, can give it but not take it
    Let me guess, some kind of funny joke?
    This message is hidden because MLGJ is on your ignore list.

Where is my apology from MLGJ, for his insult on the forums? - URSULA THE MINOR
    In your dreams Sunshine xx

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

Intriguing. I could see to playing something like this (even one that simply had a ceasefire in place every day between say, 11pm and 7am). Actually the idea of playing a server where I could actually sleep. every. night. <insert that (mm) smiley from skype right here>

It would also introduce a whole new game skill, with players having to deal with that lockout period and avoiding it for attacks.

If such a server were proposed I'd be pushing for it to be single-speed AND shorter. I don't think double-speed truly solves that a lot of people can't commit to a server that is so full-on. So maybe a server where artefacts and WWs each kick in earlier. Smaller final armies of course, but I don't think that would necessarily be bad. It might even lead to a more even competition between the top players and the middle ground.

I like the idea, but I dont think anyone fancies the idea of a 500 day server, so it'd have to be a shorter game.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the idea of a server that goes for 12 hours a day, but I don't think many fancy the idea of a 500 day server, I disagree with the Bat on 2x, I think it could actually work fairly well, the times at 2x probably aren't too intense to deal with. I seem to remember s19 being around that speed and people found it quite comfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    You just jump around like a tart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elros View Post
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member PinkFairyKing's Avatar

Yeah I like the idea of this; it would be good if the server just paused overnight then resumed at the same place in the morning. 2x or 3x would be a better speed I think as 1x would take a very long time.

they call me superman
    i'm here to rescue you

I don't see why not this could be tried. If a freeze is impossible, perhaps have a daily truce (following the same times as suggested to have the freeze). Easy to implement and people with normal storage would still be able to have some social life
    GTB - Eeyore, Arwen&Elrond, Rotta The Hutt, Tussi | City something - Eddard Stark| UV - New Deli, Bane| T-rex - Maida- All on ukx.
    Now playing on Tea and Cake in GTB

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy D View Post
    Which 12 hours per day? Everyone gets up and goes to bed at different times, everyone works different hours, everyone's free time is at different times of the day, so how can the server being switched off for 12 hours per day help anyone?
    Answered in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by MLGJ View Post
    Maybe have a server running 6am- 2/4 pm and one running 5pm-3am to cater for the different situations people have.
    The problems involved with having to watch the game all the time will be exactly the same as before.
    No they won't , thats the point. Theres 12 hours a day in which the game requires no attention.

There is nothing in any of what you have suggested that makes sense.
    Your idea is absolutely terrible.
    Clearly not even my suggestion.
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

No it wasn't. Matt suggested two servers of 8 to 10 hours per day each. You said one 12 hour server per day. Which 12 hours? And why would the idea do anything other than reduce player numbers, as the people the hours didn't suit would not play. Makes no sense at all.
    There could be survey research taken out to find out what time frame people would find most preferable, I'm not explicitly suggesting any server quantity or hours, I was merely responding to an idea, not putting forward a fully formed alternative option. If there is only one, as there is with s19 or x3, then - like those two servers - it would attract the people who liked the idea, and those who didn't like it would stick with the normal servers. When a new server is tried its likely to be tried across several domains, several time zones would be a given, so there would be a domain with a time zone to suit. If not then Matts suggestion of 2 servers on the same domain is fine. I'm not saying there could only be one.

If the server time per day is halved, the server duration is doubled. The amount of time the server needs watching is the same, spread over double the duration

That time being spread over a longer period would mean less hours per day needed on the account, which is the point of the idea, not the overall total time spent at the end of the server, which would be the same. That is not a design flaw. Its the point. Though I did actually say the 500 odd day server would not be my preferred option.

If the server speed is doubled, the player time required is doubled to achieve the same outcome, so a server of the same duration with half the playing time available will require double the online time of a standard game.
    If the time is doubled and you have one hour per day, then you could get twice as much done in that hour as in an hour on the normal server. You don't need double the online time if you're getting twice as much done when you are online.

Since you've yet again displayed your inability to post without trying to be insulting or derogatory, I'm again unwilling to talk to you any further on the thread.

It took a while for me to click that 500 days was mentioned. I guess that's assuming everything freezes. But I think that causes more problems. If I launch a 4 hour attack right before lockout I will have to math on when it will actually hit (maybe in actually 12 hours, getting a bit silly)... on the other hand, the ceasefire code already exists, so if it just snapped into place every evening at 11pm for the night (as an example) then you just make sure your attacks aren't landing at 3am, because if they do they'll return home with some silly message about not being able to find the enemy in the dark. See, I'm excellent at RP.

A typical server now lasts circa 9-10 months, no? And the end stage is triggered by the WWs, not by how many troops or villages exist, so if WW plans are launched early then WW is built early (could always make it a 50-level thing too). I would think that means no concrete barrier to having a server which lasts 5-6 months... or if it's 2x and it's overnight ceasefires but with normal building and queueing still continuing, it could be done and dusted in 10-15 weeks.

None of us get to make executive decisions on what can and can't be suggested, guys. But I will say, not for the first time, that considering we are on the UK forums/servers, those of us who DON'T live in the UK are still beholden to normal UK-centric things like time zones and holidays. That is to say if there's a lockout period it's a little unrealistic to toss our toys out of the pram and say we'll be asleep during the "active" period and it's not fair to the rest of the world.

So I'll throw a spanner in the works and wish for unicorns: imagine if we could all set our own personal "do not attack" times when we signed up? Muahahaha the mayhem. The cruelty. The none-and-Buckley's chance.

Now please, play nice so that I don't have to change clothes and be mean.

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member PinkFairyKing's Avatar

I'm chilled. Just making a point....

I struggle to understand how you think this idea is completely impossible yet you thought a 1,000,000 speed server was a brilliant idea.

Again. We're on a UK server. You don't lose half the potential players by not having active gameplay or attacking happening overnight. As one of the strange fruit who was awake at stupid o'clock during the last S2, I can promise you, almost all the action was going on during daylight hours.

Considering one suggestion was to allow continued building overnight, gold buying and use may not be impacted much at all.

As for overnight sitters no longer being as necessary I do agree they will be of less benefit. However my experience says that there are more important ways to become a strong team. I suspect I hold some kind of record for how many people I sat for last server, but what did it get me? It's probably how I got nominated so many times for "best noob" in the server awards but while they were grateful for my help I really think that most of what made us a team was talking to other players, coordinating attacks and coordinating defence against enemy attacks. All those things can happen without sitters.

In any case, dualling has come about purely because single players could not be online 24 hours a day yet wanted to maximise and protect the account. I suspect a lot of players would quite happily play solo if they knew their accounts would be safe overnight and they would have enough time to do everything themselves.

Can we please get back on track and leave the personal insults out of this thread. I could remove all the posts that have nothing to do with this thread but as they have been copied, there isn't a lot of point. I'll leave it open for a while but if it degenerates any further, it could be closed.
    i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii568/TravianComps/LMT.png

interesting idea

TLDR; It's a fascinating idea and the concept of a Travian game I could pause is interesting. It also got me thinking about a Travian game I could download in Steam for e.g. and play single player (not an actual suggestion).

Not all UK players submit to UK time frames is one argument, but that could work for and against (night owls in Oz vs day folk in UK playing 8am-4pm GMT - could also be a way to integrate different talent pools in to different domains) but my main concern with it is that I play at different times every day depending on my work load and the events in my life - there's no way that I personally could commit to a 8am-4pm server. Others might, who knows.
    "Itís only when the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."

#MakeTravianGreatAgain #MTGA