• Dont Care

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing the forum ranks

Community Manager UK/US mhudson's Avatar

Default Changing the forum ranks

Hey folks

So i had an idea to change the forum ranks and they way they work

Currently we have 4 different variations of the same thing.
    - Standard shields
    - Roman icons
    - Gaul Icons
    - Teuton Icons

I would like to remove the travian icons and have just one method of identifying normal registered users.

Firstly should we remove the travian usergroups? (poll at the top)

Secondly should we have new ranks? If so what would you like to see (names/icons)
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager
    Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

A new ranking system based on rep, post count, and to a lesser degree length of time as a user would be interesting. Alternatively could just make the rep bar more prominent in place of a new ranking system.

I do like the Ex-Crew badge though, hopefully there can still be room for that somewhere. I thought that might be effected since it takes the place of the forum ranks.
    Last edited by MartinJames; 03 Jan 2016 at 09:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    You just jump around like a tart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elros View Post
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

Angelic

I pretty much agree with everything MJ has said.
    ukx4, ukx7, ukx8 & ukx10 - wgn, wgn, wgn & wgn , ukx11 - emily , ukx12 - Milkyway , ukx13 - Smelly Romans , ukx14 - Ayra & illii
    s1,7 - Raving Cabbage

Quote Originally Posted by MartinJames View Post
    A new ranking system based on rep, post count, and to a lesser degree length of time as a user would be interesting. Alternatively could just make the rep bar more prominent in place of a new ranking system.

I do like the Ex-Crew badge though, hopefully there can still be room for that somewhere. I thought that might be effected since it takes the place of the forum ranks.
    I have been looking at ways to change the rep bar. It may be possible to replace it with a different image but the rest is hard coded. I cant change it because of the access limitations set on forums now.

Ex crew badge will remain but in addition to a forum rank rather than the current over-riding the forum ranks

im looking at using time registered. post count and rep to handle the promotions between ranks.

do you have any ideas for the type of rank we should use
    Last edited by mhudson; 03 Jan 2016 at 10:41 PM.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

A uniform method of identifying users: yes. Removing user groups: I like my Teut association, but I'm fine if their profile images are removed. Then again if they're removed, the groups don't serve much purpose other than there being an association on my profile. In terms of ideas for replacements, one option would be a standard forum ranking system with no game relevence:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AnvisoftRanking.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	6252

Another option would be to take the above but add game relevance to it by, for example, adding troop names in. Newbie Phalanx... Member Clubswinger... Regular Haeduan... Advanced Imperian.

If the ranking system can be user customised (so far the favourite of my own suggestions), then using the 'newbie member regular' ranks as above, but allowing users to customise their own troop type. I could be a newbie phalanx or a newbie praetorian. The rank would be uniform and dependant upon the criteria set by the forum, but the troop type can be customised to reflect personal allegiances or even just how the user feels that day. I guess it depends how formal or informal you want it to be and whether or not the forum allows for user customisation in this area.

You could add a bit of tongue and cheeck to the standard 'newbie member regular' names, for example, 4k plus and high rep could equal Travian Geek. 5k plus posts and high rep could = Forum Addict. 6k plus and high rep could = Heavyweight. Anything that makes looking through the final list fun and somewhat desireable. I'm sure there are much better ideas for names than those listed though.

I also like MJ's idea of linking post count with rep. In theory, I can up my post count in the games section and by being a complete troll, yet have the tag Travian Geek which would imply anything but troll. To achieve these positions amoungst ones peers, IMO one should look to do more than just prat about but to give something back too in order to have achieved it.

As I see ranks at the moment, they don't stand for much. According to my profile I'm a senior Teuton member, but the only server I play on is Gaul and I do very little to contribute to the Teuton cause. I do recall it being mentioned somewhere though that ranks could/would be used for something some day. Interesting idea. Maybe worth looking at what extra you want from users and what extra you want to give to users to help base the formation of the new ranks?
    Last edited by Hawkery; 04 Jan 2016 at 02:04 AM.
    "It’s only when the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."

#MakeTravianGreatAgain #MTGA

So we only have a few votes so far but i think this idea is a possibility.

So far we have that Ranks should be tied to post count & rep to reward activity and promote higher standards of posts

Do we have game related usernames/icons ? or do we have generic non-game related names?
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

I'll be unpopular and just hope they're generic forum ones. I suspect I'm not the only one who is completely at a loss as to what the teut/roman/gaul icons even signify (do they mean anything at all? and what does the number of images even mean, that isn't shown by the post number? reputation? time registered? number of Facebook friends?).

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bat View Post
    I'll be unpopular and just hope they're generic forum ones. I suspect I'm not the only one who is completely at a loss as to what the teut/roman/gaul icons even signify (do they mean anything at all? and what does the number of images even mean, that isn't shown by the post number? reputation? time registered? number of Facebook friends?).

From what i can see they are only based on post count. They don't mean anything other than that. The group just over-rides the standard icons
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

Honoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton MemberHonoured Teuton Member PinkFairyKing's Avatar

I think a new, improved ranking system is definitely a good idea. How the system should work im not sure though.

I would remove the tribe ranks as I dont think they have any purpose.

Generic is my vote.

What's the last question you would want me to ask in this sig?
    Here it is:
    What's the purpose of life?

What about Lurkers...

some folk sit and read, but rarely comment...

should they get a 'tag' ??
    Mikle - Hegemony

Quote Originally Posted by Mikle View Post
    What about Lurkers...

some folk sit and read, but rarely comment...

should they get a 'tag' ??
    good question. My answer would be yes. Because we are looking at basing ranks on time, post count and rep we can easily add a rank for serial lurkers who have a low post and rep count but have been registered many years.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

Honoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian Member Trouble's Avatar

natars ftw
    No-cringe signature.

Mrs. Fantastic

Prolific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific MemberProlific Member Ryder's Avatar

Did this end up anywhere?
    Server 2, Round 4
    Server 3, Round 8
    Server 5, Round 8

Current Servers;
    Com4 - IGN;Casper
    Uk5 - Gjenganger

This is under consideration but as of yet no definite decisions. Because its a major change I want the change process to be open and user lead. I have some ideas i have been working on but I need to sit down with the team (and chris) before presenting the options to you all to decide which direction you want the rank structure to go.

In the mean time if you have sugestions on rank structure and rewards system please do post them
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

As someone who mostly lurks and doesn't post very often,
    The idea of ranking, prestige etc for forum posts is of no interest to me
    It seems to be for the benefit of those that do post often, and will not encourage new members.
    Some of the regular posters are mostly involved in spamming the threads or in slagging off other posters. I have seen many threads ruined by this and should they get an improved rank for such behavior. I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklelol View Post
    As someone who mostly lurks and doesn't post very often,
    The idea of ranking, prestige etc for forum posts is of no interest to me
    It seems to be for the benefit of those that do post often, and will not encourage new members.
    Some of the regular posters are mostly involved in spamming the threads or in slagging off other posters. I have seen many threads ruined by this and should they get an improved rank for such behavior. I think not.
    This is why we want to change the ranks. Currently you can earn ranks by spamming.

Setting ranks based on time, reputation and post count will reduce the risk of people earning ranks just by posting.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager

What do you think the benefits will be of having a new ranking system in the way that you propose?

Can we not keep the little troops symbols but have them completely unrelated to rank? I like the little crossover quirky things, too many forums are just plain dull looking.

Perhaps everyone could select their favourite troop and have the symbols of they desired? Maybe we could add more things like that too
    THE
    NOTORIOUS
    CRUNCHIE

The ranking system is ok but should be clear and legible rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast