Thread: Acknowledge the forum

Default Acknowledge the forum

Isn't about time the forums existence was acknowledged on the game pages? Surely if alongside the new server announcements on the login page there was a box pointing to the forum there would be an influx of people checking it out, at least some out of curiosity. Maybe something like

'Need helpful advice or tips? Want to meet other players on your server? Come visit the Forum! *link*'

Surely this would attract at least some people to visit? 'Oh wait, there's a forum for this game, who knew?'

How many new people will arrive here if there's nothing in the game that makes it clear this is a place you can check out? I first came to the forum after seeing it on the homepage for the UK domain after all. Imagine how much people would've missed out if I hadn't first clicked that link! :b
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    You just jump around like a tart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elros View Post
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

Community Manager UK/US mhudson's Avatar

I will pass this to chrisvc to see if its possible to add said box to home page.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager
    Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

Thanks Matt, I hope the change can be implemented and attract some people here.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    You just jump around like a tart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elros View Post
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

New Poster

I have to +1 this; there are loads of guides and good players to talk to here that could really improve a newbies game. It'll also help the UK domain retain more players if they get involved with the community!

Community Manager UK/US mhudson's Avatar

There is a forum link button but unfortunately HQ are against the idea of having a newsbox on the homepage.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager
    Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

Forums are primarily user generated content (UGC) which means the organisation has little control over the content on it (aside from the moderating). As you can imagine and have probably seen at some point, much like social media, UCG presents a number of opportunities and pitfalls. Most notably if the organisation isn't receptive to customer feedback it could be argued that negative UGC increases. The more customers are listened to, the more that negative UGC content decreases but positive UGC doesn't always increase. In other words, we tend to be more vocal about a bad experience than we are about a good one. Based on my previous comments, my knowledge of Travian (their receptiveness to elicit change and the introduction of T5) the T4 forum isn't top on their to-do list.

That said, I really like your idea and would like to see more emphasis given to the forum.
    "Itís only when the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."

#MakeTravianGreatAgain #MTGA

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkery View Post
    Forums are primarily user generated content (UGC) which means the organisation has little control over the content on it (aside from the moderating). As you can imagine and have probably seen at some point, much like social media, UCG presents a number of opportunities and pitfalls. Most notably if the organisation isn't receptive to customer feedback it could be argued that negative UGC increases. The more customers are listened to, the more that negative UGC content decreases but positive UGC doesn't always increase. In other words, we tend to be more vocal about a bad experience than we are about a good one. Based on my previous comments, my knowledge of Travian (their receptiveness to elicit change and the introduction of T5) the T4 forum isn't top on their to-do list.

That said, I really like your idea and would like to see more emphasis given to the forum.
    It is a fair point, and this is even more apparent on the forums of games bigger than Travian. With that said, these games also link to the forums ingame despite the majority being negative feedback.

I think part of the reason for that is that the developers recognize the players' own community and its importance for the growth - despite negative feedback, it is also a place where players can mingle across servers and fractions, like a social playground where the rules of the game don't apply.

Obviously, the only way to funnel more players into forums is to link to said forums, not "hush" it down because they are afraid of negative content.

I used to be a forum mod on a different domain, and I tried to get our CM to implement this very same idea within our servers, but we got the same response that Matt came with unfortunately. This was a good while ago, so it doesn't seem like this is something Travian will allow any time soon. A shame really, they are afraid of bad PR, but they don't realize there is virtually nothing to lose on it.
    Last edited by Placebo; 26 Jan 2016 at 09:15 PM.