Thread: Ingame Advertising: "Cheats 4 Hire" a new game

Default Ingame Advertising: "Cheats 4 Hire" a new game

I like to think I am laid back about most things. Perhaps not cheating as it is not unknown for me to report a "Multi" or players obviously using bots to the MHs.

I tried the new Ingame Advertising upgrade button where one gets 25% reduction on upgrade times if you watch the video advertisement. Came across an interesting one this morning that in my view sends the wrong message to people ... it encourages cheating.

"Cheats 4 Hire" which according to Support its not a Travian game, but a game for people who like to cheat.
    Comment a va?

The Dualists aka Beaux Sabreurs

Using something like google ads is very difficult to control the distribution of individual pieces of content since it's so wide spread. If Travian are managing the ad process themselves, they would have the capacity to know what's going out there. Regardless of which they use and the reasons/excuses HQ come up with, those kinds of ads are going to make Travian look at best disinterested and at worst downright stupid.

I'm also not sure how I feel about being a product and a customer. If you don't pay for something (like Google) then chances are you're the product, not the customer... Only I do pay for advantages (albeit not the direct usage of the game). If this proves successful and profitable, it may mean Travian can keep running servers originally destined for permanent archive so on that hand I don't want to complain. On the other hand, is a 25% reduction in build time a fair exchange for watching a video? I'd quite like to see gold prices come down if the ad thing really takes off.

Also was there any warning of this? I haven't been about on the forum much lately so may have missed a changelog or update...
    "Its only when the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."

#MakeTravianGreatAgain #MTGA

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

Yes, it was announced in this forum before it went in.

And I don't think wanting profit alone is a fair assumption. It may simply be an ad swap. Most of the ads I've viewed are Travian-developed games

You can also look at it like this... it gives non-gold users an opportunity to earn an advantage, making it a kinder playing field.

I don't imagine TG earns more than a quarter of a cent for each view, so it's not like they could just give the 9 per day speed boost to people without having to view an ad.

I wasn't implying they should give a speed boost for nothing.

Yes it gives benefits to non-gold users but it doesn't level the playing field since gold users can use it too.

If it's only making a few cents per view then is it really worth rolling it out nationally / internationally? A hypothetical, but if they're going to go down this road then it ought to be worth a few bob to make it worth while.
    "Its only when the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."

#MakeTravianGreatAgain #MTGA

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkery View Post
    I wasn't implying they should give a speed boost for nothing.

Yes it gives benefits to non-gold users but it doesn't level the playing field since gold users can use it too.

If it's only making a few cents per view then is it really worth rolling it out nationally / internationally? A hypothetical, but if they're going to go down this road then it ought to be worth a few bob to make it worth while.
    Just a point about the topic of the thread.

I had not seen this ad all day, whilst playing on my UK servers and my sitters accounts, so I was unsure as to the ad, therefore I did not comment. I just saw the ad.

The "Cheats 4 Hire" is actually a game in itself, not an ad which helps people cheat another game. Whilst I could understand the principle of the objection, surely this is daily life now in the world ?

What I have noted today is that the ads are all currently limited to online games including Trav. For me this is ok for now, the ads are controlled on a theme but in saying that I did get one ad targeted for the country I am at the moment.

So where this goes, who knows, but for now I would recommend using this feature until you get non-gaming ads, end of the day it is your choice to follow the links or play those games.

To put it into perspective almost everyone uses facebook & google, they record everything you do and use that info illegaly currently (in the EU..), to boot, target your ads on almost EVERY page you visit based on what you look for / or do.

You are happy with this, so what is the issue here exactly?

Ahhh... actually I just watched it again - Cheats 4 Hire is a Travian Games-developed game. The logo is all over the ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    Ahhh... actually I just watched it again - Cheats 4 Hire is a Travian Games-developed game. The logo is all over the ad.
    But it is a game none the less right? From the sentiment on this thread I got the idea it was an ad for "Cheats 4 Hire", you know what I mean?
    And it is not that, it is simply a game called "Cheats 4 Hire", if it is from Travian Games, it makes sense, since all the Multiaccounting going on, within Trav, it should be a roaring business.. Russians should do well at this game eh (looking at the finals)?

Maybe this has been a case of wires crossed? It's definitely a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    Maybe this has been a case of wires crossed? It's definitely a game.
    Maybe, take it one step more, is it travian GMB related?

Are we going around in circles here?

Community Manager UK/US mhudson's Avatar

Cheats 4 Hire (or cheaters club as it was known) is owned, developed and managed by TravianGames and its child companies. that is based around a school environment. You have challenges to do like passing messages to other students without the teacher spotting you, copying work off the class geek and other school room type challenges (you dont want to be the teachers pet....)

While the game is about cheating its designed to emulate school and as such is not really an issue to advertise on other TG games.
    Last edited by mhudson; 01 Mar 2016 at 08:34 PM.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager
    Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

Thank you for this inspiring information. Even if it is a game, it is still promoting cheating in various forms. In my humble opinion it sends the wrong message and may well encourage young people to cheat.
    Comment a va?

The Dualists aka Beaux Sabreurs

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bads View Post
    Thank you for this inspiring information. Even if it is a game, it is still promoting cheating in various forms. In my humble opinion it sends the wrong message and may well encourage young people to cheat.
    I find it interesting that you all take this position on the principle, the Western culture has been constantly promoting cheating for some years, in various forms.
    This is common knowledge for many years in the UK, but perhaps you have missed that.

I found it funny to hear that the new generation watches are actively promoting their sales by saying they can help you cheat on exams.

But what do I know, has been learnt by watching, seeing and base my opinion on those facts I obtain.
    I do not just have such an opinion whilst ignoring my children or actively getting them to follow such practices.

This is not to say I agree with the prinicple, just the way things are today.

Accept it or change the future, as a parent this is your choice.
    Last edited by crossbreed; 04 Mar 2016 at 06:11 AM.

I find it strange that people are worried/annoyed about this. It's just a game and does not really promote cheating more than say, Hitman, promotes killing people for money.
    2013: uk5 - Jabberwock, 2014: uk5 - She-Hulk, 2016: uk2 - Livet er herlig