View Poll Results: Is gaming a suitable discussion point on a CV / in interviews?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 20.00%
  • No

7 70.00%
  • Undecided

1 10.00%

Thread: Is gaming a suitable discussion point on a CV / in interviews?

Default Is gaming a suitable discussion point on a CV / in interviews?

It has been discussed before but I wanted to bring it up again. I've been playing Travian for a number of years and I feel I've learned an awful lot, not only regarding the game itself but also skills that can help me outside of Travian.

But is it suitable to add it to the 'interests / hobbies' section of a CV? Take that on step further, is it suitable to discuss when asked to talk about your experience? For example, an interviewer may ask for experience of working in a team, dealing with difficult team members or even leading a team. If you think it is suitable, how suitable is it and how would you position it in an interview?
    "It’s only when the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."

#MakeTravianGreatAgain #MTGA

Honoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian Member Trouble's Avatar

idk man, theres a lot of dumb people out there.

Chances are one of them is out there and is just gona sterotype you and stuff is actually pretty high.

tbh will depend on your job, and if you gona do it properly you need to edit your cv each time you apply for a major job

so its a thing you can cut and take out,

Bear in mind it is a risk.

not gona write anything about how some one might like the "skills" you get, mostly in regards to organisation. So long as you present them clearly and don't over exaggerate then it could be ok.

And don't draw attention to it, even in the jobs you gona risk it for.

Like I said, people r dumbasses, u cant risk that u meet on of them and they just prejudice against you.

guess ur just Lucky u aint a woman or black or something I guess haha

(racism/sexism is still a thing), yeah.. Cos like I said twice already, but it don't hurt to repeat it, people r dumbasses.

tbh I think I might have put it on my uni application I dont remember though, Leuge of legends is on MY cv.

But if they aint gona employ me then tbh in most situations, I just view it as their mistake and move on.

Oh and I got my first job like 2 days ago whoop.
    No-cringe signature.

Angelic

I'd place it under interests/hobbies as 'Recreational Gaming' or 'MMOG's'. If the interviewer is interested they'll ask you about it and you can then expand.

In general most jobs will have multiple people applying before all CVs are printed and placed in a folder. Management will then read through the folder spending a small amount of time on each CV. Bearing in mind they could have multiple CVs in the 10s to the 100s the time they spend reading that CV can be extremely short. Recruiters can spend on average 6 seconds looking at a CV which is why I'd suggest not wasting it on travian. Layout is key to keeping attention and I've always found those that got staight to the point with employment history (with job role clearly stated) listed in chronological order made for easier reading. Initial things that interested me personally were previous experience and what the job role was, followed by relevant qualifications related to the job. These helped the following profile paragargh which would then lead to an interview. If they have you as a prospect they'll want to get a scope of what you are like in the interview to make sure you will fit into the team. This means you have a very high chance of getting asked about your interests which will be your chance to 'briefly' mention leadership skills in travian.
    Last edited by wgn; 08 Apr 2016 at 12:55 AM.
    ukx4, ukx7, ukx8 & ukx10 - wgn, wgn, wgn & wgn , ukx11 - emily , ukx12 - Milkyway , ukx13 - Smelly Romans , ukx14 - Ayra & illii
    s1,7 - Raving Cabbage

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

Employment consultant chiming in here. Yes in other words I was that person who received job vacancies from employers and selected which of my clients to send for the job. My job also included professional CV development and training interviewees on application and interview technique. It also just happens that I used to admin a 20,000-player browser game, manage the volunteer staff on it, and support the associated development community which hosted the game on another 150-odd servers with 500k or so worth of players. Wall of text incoming, you have been warned

Do not EVER include anything on your CV which is not tailored to the ONE, SPECIFIC job for which you are applying. (This is why I deleted your swimming award from when you were 14, that flower-arranging course and the fact that you used to walk your next-door neighbour's dog, if you're applying for a job as a vehicle mechanic.)

Leave in anything that you can specifically link to the role you're applying for. Your Saturday lawnmowing habit for your dad when you were 16, that matters for a mechanic's job.

Gaming is not even a neutral - it is most likely to be perceived as a negative. Yes it is dependent on the place you're applying to, but even if the boss reading that CV is into gaming (him)self, he will not consider that a worthwhile trait in an employee. Not even if you try and dress it up as teamwork, etc.

What's more, if the company has a dedicated HR department in any way/shape/form, the likely scenario is that a woman is doing the assessment on your skills. Even if the boss is a man, HR will first be applying all the new age psychology stuff to your CV and comparing skills and experience with your competition. inb4 the sexism chants begin, women are statistically more likely to play "casual" games (time management, farming, arcade etc on tablet/app) and men teamwork games (whatever game is shooting someone this week on xbox). Put simply your perfect teamwork on a game is unlikely to impress her, and even if it's a he or if she plays team games, your perfect work on a game looks more like "I shout on TeamSpeak in the dark until 3am on work nights instead of sleeping". The stereotype of gaming is so pervasive that the only time playing a game belongs on a CV is if you are applying to work for that game/company. (Or a similar web-specific game which somehow, magically, benefits from your teamwork in a browser game, and if I'm honest, I would not have taken you on for my server based on having merely PLAYED a game - I would be more interested to learn how you supported the community, including your opponents).

There are two schools of thought on your hobbies even being included. Plenty of bosses have no interest and couldn't give a toss if it's entirely absent. Or if you must put it there, include the safe stuff which has no negative connotations and nothing lazy associated with it. That sport you do every weekend (fitness/health, TEAMWORK). Crosswords (intellect). Flying your drone and doing aerial photography (precision). Coaching the under-7s (leadership!). They are all otherwise trite, but you get the picture. Don't lie. Anything you put here you'll need to be prepared to discuss and link to the skill in brackets if they bring it up - and sometimes yes, they will ask.

One other thing. I have had people argue on this point with me, but I'm a believer that strict "shopping list" CVs are useless and prone to being circular-filed. Everyone else will also have a shopping list CV, probably also in bullet point form like yours (the list of WHAT you are - graduate of this school, holder of this qualification). wgn already indicated above that they are all the same. If yours is no better than the rest, all you get is that few-seconds glance. Something has to make you stand out, and what is missing in this sea of white is WHO the applicant is. If a person reading your CV cannot imagine you, personally, being part of their workplace, they won't want to put you into it. Every other applicant has to try and make that happen at interview, but remember, most applicants never even get an interview. I consider it a lost opportunity if we cannot plant a seed at CV stage. For this reason I always included a couple of paragraphs of "soft skills" on the person by asking them to select adjectives that described themselves, and then linking specific examples, and wrote these paragraphs in first-person.

I am a patient, even-tempered and friendly person able to relate to people of all walks of life. This was particularly useful during my work as Communications Administrator with Multinational Imaging Company where my role included support for persons with language and communication challenges, and physical and intellectual disabilities.

(That's the gist of what was in mine. IRL. Stop laughing, I got the next job over 200 clients on file. I was the only one interviewed.)

IMO this is where your preamble for teamwork goes - it introduces it and gives your interviewer an opening to chat to you about at interview - but find another avenue to include it, without using your gaming Some people place this in a cover letter, but consider that the cover letter can get tossed before all the relevant people ever get to see it.
    Last edited by Elisa; 08 Apr 2016 at 05:10 AM.

As you say, it has been discussed before - there was a thread that you previously posted on :p my views haven't changed since then. I've got 13 or so years experience interviewing/recruitment, including graduates. If you get through to a certain stage, considerably longer will be spent on your application and CV than 6 seconds.

http://archive.forum.travian.co.uk/s...ad.php?t=76160

I disagree with Elisa though in a minority of cases. There are so so many applications from academically excellent candidates, it's important to still have something distinctive - Travian, with a focus on the transferable skills, could credibly meet that criteria for those who do it at an advanced level one way or another. Naming names, that might include Chris, Avi, Meme, Adam and a handful of others with a genuine depth and breadth of experience over a sustained period of time.

(When I was interviewed, it was Esperanto lol).

I did that once where I adjusted my CV for a specific job. Didn't mention travian, but said I had experience from online games where I had extensively used calculations, planning, team coordination, multitasking and communication skills to excel for years. Did not make it to interview never again...
    Note: the job I applied for specifically required those particular skills (not all mentioned in the description, but logic...)

Will go with a no here.

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

Actually reading Sam's reply reminded me of another exception, social media... I'd still probably say that playing the game is unlikely to be an asset (just me personally), but the community aspect, well, possibly, or if you've actually performed a volunteer role in here. So if the position you're applying for includes being a part of their social media presence, or mentoring people, or supervisory work, you might possibly be able to tie that in. I'd say it'd be a verrrry rare person that could pull it off in a CV and if it's gameplay-only-type skill? Colour me skeptical that they could make it look good on paper and then sell it at interview. Those highly-skilled people are like hens' teeth, plus you need to be pretty spectacular at interview skill, and you also need to be interviewed by someone who isn't dissuaded by it or prejudiced against it. Say "medieval strategy game" and sadly you will get certain reactions - try telling people you used to be a pirate who was into slaying dragons

It's a dicey inclusion when most of those people will have more useful items to list instead. (That's the key here... it's less about "should I include this" and more about "is this the best way to demonstrate my skills".)

I have mentioned my support of the php dev community for the previous game I worked on in a CV, but only where the role I was after required any of those skills. Playing the game up into the hall of fame there, honestly, I don't think would do much for me - and I spent a LOT of time roleplaying and helping other players - something I could certainly explain at interview, but on paper, I don't think so It's more useful that my name is in the credits, that I'm actually a character in the game, and that I worked on their forum for a long while.

It's quite an interesting subject because I once discussed CV stuff with the lead codemeister in there and discovered to my chagrin that most of my "plus points" were things he left off his own CV - because he was so phenomenally talented that everyone would know he could do the more basic things, and limited space meant he just left them out. Ain't no way that Microsoft Word was a useful inclusion for someone who had 20 nerdier skills to talk about.

Oh and related: I've personally suggested people not include boxing as a hobby. It was a rather common inclusion in the town I lived last. A lot of people have a visceral reaction to violence, even in a ring. YMMV.

yeah - would agree on boxing, unless it's competing at national or international level!

It's the first time out of education jobs that most of this is relevant - when a lot of people don't have experienced/developed on the job skill sets. After that it just fades away as a factor. Some people are premeditated enough to get into clubs and societies or impressive sounding schemes while in education. For those who weren't - it's a valid way to showcase your skills as long as really careful how it's presented (i.e. talk about the skills not the game!) and the associated risks are lower with tech savvy jobs.