View Poll Results: Will you play new servers after the update?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, the change is dreadful and I don't want to play anymore.

45 76.27%
  • Yes, I like the change and will keep playing.

1 1.69%
  • I'll probably give it a go and see what its like

10 16.95%
  • Don't know/care

3 5.08%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Biggest game changer ever?

Excuse me, but how are the devs so surprised? I don't mean to intentionally sound condescending here, but they can't be that naive, can they? I have never ever seen a survey asking me if I want this feature, and I play alot. The reason why I haven't seen these surveys is because I don't play on the special, totally different server that purposefully have different game mechanics to create a different atmosphere. I don't go to a sunday-school to ask people there if they want free beer implemented in pubs between 9 and 10 pm.

So why on earth are they surprised when people object to something they never agreed on? Something that was given positive feedback for the special server they were tested on?

This is NOT scattered empire, travian legends-players were never surveyed or asked for feedback.

I realize they have already backed on this idea by now, but saying they are surpised kind of shows how little knowledge they have of their own community and playerbase. And the fact that they wanted to implement a huge change like this into the normals survers just like that actually scares me abit, because it shows they most likely don't even play their own game or have enough insight to make those calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Placebo View Post

I realize they have already backed on this idea by now, but saying they are surpised kind of shows how little knowledge they have of their own community and playerbase. And the fact that they wanted to implement a huge change like this into the normals survers just like that actually scares me abit, because it shows they most likely don't even play their own game or have enough insight to make those calls.
    Madness driven by a desire to make more money, I don't blame them for wanting to increase cash flow but they ain't gonna do that by rushing into what are clearly poor decisions because they didn't ask the right people for feedback. The strength of reaction against these changes demonstrate that they didn't ask people the player base for this game. 'We listen , we care' They wouldn't give a hoot if they weren't sure they would lose money by making the change. Its fine for businesses to want money but its pretty annoying when they pretend thats not what they're about.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    You just jump around like a tart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elros View Post
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

Actually, having been a sort of dev myself I think I know how it happens. Yes, it's hard to be a hardcore player of a game that you write code on (valid observation) because you burn out of interest, and more importantly, if you spend that much time each week looking at code you simply haven't got the time to play the game non-stop yourself. (An instance where masses of research and asking the opinions of big players is vital).

But more than that it's what I like to call Gaoler Syndrome. Whenever a prisoner escapes from a gaol, the people who designed the gaol are amazed. They've spent so much time and effort making it secure. They've even got a PhD in gaol security! But you see, they only do it as a job. The prisoner is far more invested, mentally, in getting free. It's in their utmost interest to solve the "problem". They can spend every waking moment on getting to know the place and its weaknesses and figure out how to exploit them and escape. They have no other motives like making a boss happy or cooking dinner for their family or caring if their hair looks good today. Just utter concentration on the bars and how to defeat them.

Players figure all that out. While devs write features and think about the game mechanic limitations (ie, people won't be able to go too far with this new feature because it's expensive in gold or res), players look at what the limitations are and it's in their own interests to figure out how to defeat those limitations.

Which is where greed comes in: oh, so it's possible with these changes to train in more than one village. Ok, so I only really have enough resources to keep two club queues going and still afford to merge them using resources. Ok how do I get more resources?

I can get ally members to push me a bit. Except that will have a limit. So I'll then raid my ally mates to get more resources. Ok, so I'll be stopped by the raiding limit for my alliance.

Ok, so I'll just raid the other wing of our confed. And if they put a stop to confed raids, we'll just remove the confed. If I raid enough, this won't even be limited to two villages. Hey, I could have as many villages as I want! This army is going to be huge. We'll just recruit tons of n00bs to sim resources for us.

Problem solved. The prisoner has escaped. The screws are then standing there in an empty cell, scratching heads and amazed at the spectacular way that he managed to get out.

(Hot tip: try looking behind the poster of Rita Hayworth.)
    Last edited by Elisa; 27 Apr 2016 at 07:47 PM.

Actually i'm all in for this change. First impression people hated T4 , they were all against it and now see where they all are? playing it. and to be honest it is good that travian are trying to implement new features, new things, to change the meta of the game.
    Give it a chance , try it .

Quote Originally Posted by Babloo View Post
    Actually i'm all in for this change. First impression people hated T4 , they were all against it and now see where they all are? playing it. and to be honest it is good that travian are trying to implement new features, new things, to change the meta of the game.
    Give it a chance , try it .
    This is nothing like T4 mate. There has never been a proposed change this big, and I'm still baffled by how they just intended to add this as a minor patch between servers rather than a new version of travian.

I understand that some people who either don't play actively enough, or tested this in SE might like it, but the cold fact is that this will make natars win every single endgame, and deff players will have a nightmare playing every round. I see almost only negative aspects with implementing this in a normal server (see my post in the other thread where I cover most of the inevitable downsides).

T4 brought mostly adjustments and fixes to the game, in addition to the hero system we have now (together with auction). There were people who said that would suck as well, but nobody said it would change the way the game is played anywhere near what we see now - it was simply an extended function to an already existing hero system. Nobody said it would break the game and make it aubergine for everyone but the most dedicated, nobody said it would extend the game until natars win. This will. I will not give this a chance, because I am experienced enough to see how it will play out even before it is implemented.

I agree that it is a good thing they strive to further develop the game and keep it appealing, but there are gazillions of smaller and larger changes that players have been suggesting for a long time now that will simply make the game better for everyone, rather than making people have to relearn the game.
    Last edited by Placebo; 27 Apr 2016 at 10:10 PM.

Looks like they're pretty adamant they want to press on with these 'features' , several of us from pulse looking for different games to play now. Maybe if the devs realised that we don't play travian for the game, we play for the community then they'd listen. I mean actually listen btw , no the repeated schtick about how they listen and care but they're doing it anyway. Whatever, I'll see out S5 and S1, if the changes are implemented I'm gone. Same sentiment from a lot of others. Have fun with your servers that'll be lucky to hit triple digits trav.
    Last edited by MartinJames; 29 Apr 2016 at 08:53 PM.
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

Mr Fantastic

Well-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known MemberWell-Known Member MLGJ's Avatar

While I think on (Hopefully Mr Hudsons reads) but these are exactly the type of threads that should be highlighted in game if Travian really is keen to get feedback on the changes.
    This post was brought to you by "Mr Fantastic"

Yayyyyy made it on to setbacks ignore list, can give it but not take it
    Let me guess, some kind of funny joke?
    This message is hidden because MLGJ is on your ignore list.

Where is my apology from MLGJ, for his insult on the forums? - URSULA THE MINOR
    In your dreams Sunshine xx

Quote Originally Posted by MLGJ View Post
    While I think on (Hopefully Mr Hudsons reads) but these are exactly the type of threads that should be highlighted in game if Travian really is keen to get feedback on the changes.
    Chrisvc is trying to pretend this thread doesn't even exist on forum let alone acknowledge it in game lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinJames View Post
    Chrisvc is trying to pretend this thread doesn't even exist on forum let alone acknowledge it in game lol.
    I'm pretty sure they read and relay any feedback, but this really isn't in the hands of the co.uk team, not Chris either. This is all up to the big boys in Germany who want their castle in Malta.

I'm pretty sure they read and relay any feedback, but this really isn't in the hands of the co.uk team, not Chris either. This is all up to the big boys in Germany who want their castle in Malta.
    I mean he's trying to ignore this thread in favour of the other.

If you feel particularly aggrieved by the situation:
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/443/0...nlegends/#sign
    The original noob - #TeamNatar

[09/05/2014] Andrew: his opinion on judging trav hammers by horse pics is second to none aswell
    [01/09/2014] Andrew: Im afraid Nicks right : D
    [01/09/2014] Stuart: cant afford alcohol when you have a unicorn to feed...

Community Manager UK/US mhudson's Avatar

I mean he's trying to ignore this thread in favour of the other.

Placebo is correct that the decision process is out of our hands.

Your feedback from all the threads is being sent to HQ as part of the weekly report. This is the same process that's happening across all Travian domains.

The CM feedback is then collated by the CSTM team in Munich, much of the feedback will of course be identical on this subject.

The CSTM team then brief the Product Manager(Brian) and Game Dev Team as well as other members of the senior management on the community mood, complaints, suggestions and ideas. The game team will then discuss and decide what action to take which is then fed back down the chain to CSTMS and finally CM's who post as Chris has done.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager
    Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

Honoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian Member Trouble's Avatar

Buying troops sucks.

Remove it.

Keep the alchemists thingy, change it up, get creative.

no instant troops, no free troops.

Thats just stooopid. I mean I know travian is stupid, having dealt with there representatives on many occasions, so I'm aware these changes I ask for are not gona be carried though.

Guess the game just got harder then.. meh was too easy anyway.

SO

Merg troops is ok, and seems logical/natural for the game.

Guess people might have to learn to play to preven these appocolypses they are all crying about. Ha, I don't have high hopes.

Forward troops should have been in the game since day 1. Its just obvious. Thanks.

Overall, changes changes the way the game is played.

Gold was a massive advantage before, now its still a massive advantage, but you don't need gold to win. If you had dedicated players and a good strategy its still theoretically possible to win without it.

Thats all, thought I'd post something

PS: you cant merg a whole alliances troops surely....

Would make fighting a lil raspberryed imo, so pls no.
    No-cringe signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post

PS: you cant merg a whole alliances troops surely....
    No, the issue is that the change will mean alliance focus on sending res to designated hammer builders who will then be able to build in all villages, then the feeder accs will be used as troop storage. Who wants to be a feeder account for 8-10 months?

Trouble, do you have any actual arguments for troop merging being a good idea to implement? Or are you just going to tell us who object it with logical arguments to adapt and stop "crying" about it?

What if travian proposed a feature where you pay 50k gold to press a button and win the server, would you still tell people to learn to deal with that apocalypse?

PS: you contradict yourself - troop merging is as close to buying troops as you can get without the cauldron.

Travian is on it's death bed, and this is a nail in the coffin. Merging troops from different cities ? Really? I already waste money on this game, and now you want me to waste even more? And I need to get my grandaunt Hildur and the rest of my family with it's own IP to help build deff, so I can defend against those teut armies which will breed faster than rabbits in a dark room. Only thing positive about it would be perhaps the server will become a bit more smashy - although I'm sure for some additional gold option to get more crop will follow soon.

I've already lost a lot of interest in the game, and this does not spark it again.

No, the issue is that the change will mean alliance focus on sending res to designated hammer builders who will then be able to build in all villages, then the feeder accs will be used as troop storage. Who wants to be a feeder account for 8-10 months?
    You've kinda made your own point here. It may happen on a couple of servers but won't last in the long run. No one will want to be a resource slave and they will say no. Then it goes back to 1 player using his/res.
    I do agree with the troop forwarding. But it should be the owner of said troops who forwards them. Not the owner of the village they are in.
    And with the troop merging. If it's done so you can't use gold to do it then it's not going to be as apricot deal as everyone's making it out. I've not played SE but from what I've heard there's not many who've really managed to do it effectively
    End of the day it's the creators choice what they do with the game. If you don't like it make your own
    tormentor - As for replying to other posts, I really cannot stand the stench, even the nose plugs are not stopping it.

listers losers - Does that mean youve taken off the gimp mask?

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mutley View Post
    You've kinda made your own point here. It may happen on a couple of servers but won't last in the long run. No one will want to be a resource slave and they will say no.
    Sorry, but have you ever been a member of a big meta? If not, let me paraphrase: ten or fifteen players who kiss each others' backsides. They make five or six wings and accept anyone who'll join. Everyone is told "The Rules" (which by the way, are a huge list of things that the backside-kissers can ignore). Everyone is also constantly told how lucky they are to be in The Great Wonderful Meta and that they have to do certain things or never leave the training wings. It all comes with a large dose of blackmail and manipulation, and since those smaller players would sell their own grandmothers to get into the top wing, they surely won't mind being a top player's feeder for a whole server (I mean, surely it'll get them into the top wing next server, right?).

This is exactly how it will go down.

That meta will win, and the next server there will be several dozen experienced feeders who are back to do it again and join in telling the new players all about the rules everyone must follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    Sorry, but have you ever been a member of a big meta? If not, let me paraphrase: ten or fifteen players who kiss each others' backsides. They make five or six wings and accept anyone who'll join. Everyone is told "The Rules" (which by the way, are a huge list of things that the backside-kissers can ignore). Everyone is also constantly told how lucky they are to be in The Great Wonderful Meta and that they have to do certain things or never leave the training wings. It all comes with a large dose of blackmail and manipulation, and since those smaller players would sell their own grandmothers to get into the top wing, they surely won't mind being a top player's feeder for a whole server (I mean, surely it'll get them into the top wing next server, right?).

This is exactly how it will go down.

That meta will win, and the next server there will be several dozen experienced feeders who are back to do it again and join in telling the new players all about the rules everyone must follow.
    No I haven't been in a large meta. They don't seem to appear very often nowadays. Look at uk5. There's one alliance who's sole member has 700 odd pop and his alliance is in the top 10 raiders. Says it all about this game.

And I didn't realise people were so naive as to believe that kind of dribble. That's my bad
    tormentor - As for replying to other posts, I really cannot stand the stench, even the nose plugs are not stopping it.

listers losers - Does that mean youve taken off the gimp mask?

Honoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian Member Trouble's Avatar

merging troops is good, because it is logical..

It means the armies get bigger for sure..

Means the play style of sim all game till WW, then put all your def into like 3 villages and hope u got enough to stop WWKs.
    Is nerfed pretty heavily.

Well the WWKs can always smash through now since its much easier to build them to be massive.

Its also a lot more realistic. Tbh and suits me just fine, i never like building a WWK, I don't like feeding a lot of troops from one villages, firstly its a massive waste. Well actually thats the main reason, massive waste of my time and my troops time.

This way, I can just have 3 armies merg em and I might make 1 half decent WWk, nice.

Will armies get absolutley crazy when decent WWK builders Like Unique get there hands on this. Yeah, ofc. Will little girls liek MJ cry all the time about how over powered and broken the changes are. Yes.

Will it make the game more challenging and intersting? hmm maybe I mean it think its fine, so long as you can buy instant builds and buy troops. That aubergine should just not happen. In theory its possible to within a couple of hours using a lot of gold to completly rebuild you army.

This completly negates the stratergy of the game, where you have to be carefull and strategic with your troop useage.

It bring back things like the Hero bucket which had to be nerfed pretty fast (yeah they actually changed it!) because.. Well it was disgusting.

So If they do this change, they will have to change it. Since it basically breaks the entire point of the game. You build troops, there are time constraints.

If you remove the time constraints, it just breaks the game.

Its like you have a entire game focused around this mechanic, and then you decide to implement a obvious and good change. Along side one that completely destroys the need to play the rest of the game by implementing troops for gold. Can also get res for gold.

Infact I think I just hate the alchemists cauldron in general. That sheet is clearly ripped of from evony, and massively broken. So pls take it away.

Buying troops just sucks though. No issue with forwarding or merging.

Big issues with the instant builds.

I put a thread when it was first implemented. Its far too powerful.

Idk what elisa is talking about with meta. "meta" stands for - Most effective strategy available.

Thats all man, the bigger your army the better your chances.

In uk people used to like to take small elite groups to fight them, and farm farm farm. Have a lot of fun.

Now we have all the wanabees who just copy that strategy and say things like "I will never join a meta" like its some mark of pride. Haha, I pity those fools.

So Main point:
    Merg and forward - good.
    Gold for troops - destroy your game for obvious reasons. The entire game is designed around finding the most effective way to build troops and use them to win the game using a variety of strategies.
    Now what you do is eliminate the need to actually play the game. Instead 1 dude with a million pound bank account and 1 village can single handedly outstrip every player in the game using the alchemist cauldron (which btw is total crap in terms of game design) its like level 1 Microsoft. Idk, I think you could make this if you are in high school and you making games on flash. its just awful. Pitiful even.

and it legitimately destroys the entire rest of the game. Like cmon man this is gona be abused, has been abused on your "trial server" you have to see this and make some changes to it.

Else I'm gona lose all the remaining respect I have for you, which isn't much.

I will still play I guess but ur this is dumb, don't do it. You will certainly lose players for this, without a doubt. And what kind of new player wants to play in a game thats pay to win? Go look at ANY literally any gaming forum or fan site or discussion literally ever.

Even the rich guys don't like pay to win.

Wake up. Have a cup of coffee. And delete this rubbish.

Maybe later I will write some polite emails to travian explaining this. They have recently begun announcing who there boss is? Lars.. I'm sure they never said that before, maybe this is good news and this change can eventually be either nerfed into the ground or removed completely, as is certainty required.
    Last edited by MOD Elisa; 02 May 2016 at 05:31 PM.
    No-cringe signature.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast