View Poll Results: Will you play new servers after the update?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, the change is dreadful and I don't want to play anymore.

45 76.27%
  • Yes, I like the change and will keep playing.

1 1.69%
  • I'll probably give it a go and see what its like

10 16.95%
  • Don't know/care

3 5.08%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest game changer ever?

Default Biggest game changer ever?

Hey all,

Interested in finding out what you everyone thinks to the new update to bring merging and troop forwarding into the game. Most of what i've heard has been negative tbh, I know my initial reaction was 'I don't want to play that game', think it destroys the balance of the game and means richest players win, a lot more so than the auction house or any other change thats been made.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    You just jump around like a tart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elros View Post
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

they call me superman
    i'm here to rescue you

Jokes:

* Scattered Empire
    * Kingdoms
    * Travians "mixed feedback" about buying hammers
    * I will play next server
    GTB - Eeyore, Arwen&Elrond, Rotta The Hutt, Tussi | City something - Eddard Stark| UV - New Deli, Bane| T-rex - Maida- All on ukx.
    Now playing on Tea and Cake in GTB

Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post
    Jokes:

* Scattered Empire
    * Kingdoms
    * Travians "mixed feedback" about buying hammers
    * I will play next server
    Sounds about right! I'm just surprised they didn't go the whole hog and throw in the cauldron too, maybe they're saving that for later.
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

This will make account wide trainers so much better than small trainers, lol.

New Poster

One of the worst ideas they have had so far, being able to pay gold to merge troops will create some large hammers, giving a huge advantage to the gold whores

Once this idea goes ahead there is pretty much no point in being offensive if you don't have a LOT of gold, your hammers will be massively outnumbered due to the merges that the gold buyers will be doing. Especially when there is a large/unique trainer involved. Like placebo said, small trainers will no longer be as useful if you can merge troops,

They may as well of left the cauldron in the game!!

This idea really needs to be cancelled haha

To be fair, this is mostly worth it with paying resources. But it favours accounts with lots of villages and lots of farming. If you farm as much as say placebo does on ukx, you can create insanly huge hammers, where as a player with 20 villages and low raiding can't (he can only create 1-2 "normal" hammers). You can pay in gold, but it will be very expensive and not necessary.

This removes the need for rammers, since I can just dedicate 3-4 villages to rams, and make a hammer with 100k rams and 120k catas.

This also removes the need to actually have barracks/stable/workshop in the hammer village. Stupid change in my eyes. Game now just becomes infested with teutons who create hammers big enough to kill all deff in enemy ww in a single go. Fun for all...
    Last edited by Placebo; 24 Apr 2016 at 08:05 PM.

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

I've heard from players with much experience in several different alliances. The overwhelming consensus is that the changes are incredibly negative.

The Reader's Digest of the discussion:

1. The main group of defenders now only need log in for five minutes per day, queueing troops and sending all troops plus wheat to a designated "troop forwarder" account
    2. 1-2 designated "troop forwarder" coordinator accounts who hold the Haste artefacts which can basically never be stolen because they have so much def on hand (this system was already implemented by several alliances on UK19 Scattered Empire). No more need for "def calls" which fostered community, because one player can manage it alone.
    3. A large proportion of players probably told that their game role will be to do nothing but sim fields, in order to feed designated "off consolidators"
    4. Off consolidators using 20 villages to train troops, then raiding their own alliance's simmers to keep those 20 queues going and consolidating them into a monster, overpowered army.

Note that 1 & 3 are ideally suited to cheating multi accounts instead of actual players.

If they are actual players, we might well have a situation where new players are treated as nothing useful except for being those simmer accounts. Large alliances already do this sometimes (accept new players only on the condition they behave as slaves to experienced players). It's a nasty way to treat new players.

Every server, some experienced players leave due to real life, or just moving on to new games. We need new players to replace them or the game numbers drop. It seems as if fewer new players stay these days, my guess since the majority get blasted with farm lists straight out of BP before they learn how to play. Those who manage to get into an alliance might now be expected to sim fields for the whole game.

We now have people asking which non-Travian game to play instead, after the current server ends.

Very fair points there, Elisa.

I might add that this heavily disturbs the balance between off and deff. The strength of a WW, or a deffed village in general right now is that you can stack deff, but you can't stack off armies, thus always ending up with alot more deff than off. This will change that, and theoretically, a hammer can have more consumption than the deff of a WW. In fact, a lot of the deff in a WW also comes from the off accounts, since they spend surplus resources on deff, which they won't from now on.

This again leads to players feeling discouraged to queue deff, since off becomes stronger in every aspect.

I can see travian is basing this off of feedback from the birthday server. But I have a feeling not a lot of the top players, or players who dedicate more than average amount of time actually played those servers and gave their feedback. Most of the top tier players have been playing normal servers and speed servers, since those are what "matter", thus travian's research is heavily biased.

Above points El posted we discussed together, and am in complete agreement with what she said. I don't think there's ever been an update that's so prejudicial against those who won't spend an exorbitant amount of gold. The res cost for merging seems so exorbitantly high, Trav must have full knowledge of the fact the res option won't really be used.

I think this really impacts the integrity of the game as a whole. It seems the decision has already been made by Trav, but on the off chance it is negotiable still I'll clearly state that I for one am against these changes being implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by satansrogue View Post
    Above points El posted we discussed together, and am in complete agreement with what she said. I don't think there's ever been an update that's so prejudicial against those who won't spend an exorbitant amount of gold. The res cost for merging seems so exorbitantly high, Trav must have full knowledge of the fact the res option won't really be used.

I think this really impacts the integrity of the game as a whole. It seems the decision has already been made by Trav, but on the off chance it is negotiable still I'll clearly state that I for one am against these changes being implemented.
    I must disagree with the first point you make (I still don't like this change the slightest).

The res option is in line with the costs of great stable/barracks, which is perfectly balanced. You simply queue in a normal barracks in another village for 1/1 of the cost, then you merge them in the hammer for 2/1 of the cost, for a total of 3/1, which is the same as greats. Most people will most likely be using that option, unless very low on resources (at which point you can simply wait until you have the resources before merging).

No, the change is dreadful and I don't want to play anymore.
    11 73.33%

Yes, I like the change and will keep playing.
    0 0%

'Largely positive feedback'

Sure seems like it trav...

Quote Originally Posted by MartinJames View Post
    No, the change is dreadful and I don't want to play anymore.
    11 73.33%

Yes, I like the change and will keep playing.
    0 0%

'Largely positive feedback'

Sure seems like it trav...
    Because the birthday servers are way more casual than others, thus it's mostly casual players on them. Casual players provided feedback for the majority of the playerbase.

I'm sure if you went into an elementary school and asked kids if it would be a great idea to give every person in Britain a million pounds each, the feedback would be "largely positive". But if you went and asked someone with economical knowledge the same question, they would facepalm. Same concept here really.
    Last edited by Placebo; 24 Apr 2016 at 09:58 PM.

Nice so basically the more multiaccounts people make now, the more troops they will be able to merge in future? Well this option will surely help to fight multiaccounts in the game.

I am totally positive on this new feature, hope we will be able to see it soon in the game! Thank you travian games I always doubted you were doing all this only for money and not even a little to meet people requests, but with this one I changed my mind. It is clear to me you really love your users! Thanks again!

Satansrogue and Placebo, you two might well agree to disagree, but you're both definitely still on the same side anyway in another aspect: even if the merge cost in res is the same as using GB/GS, remember that there are still a huge number of attackers who already use the GB/GS - that is, they currently think it's worthwhile to spend that extra res to do things the expensive way. That's fairly well proof that some players will also consider the high merging cost to be worthwhile, even if it's done with res.

It becomes even more worthwhile if they can raid ally mates in order to produce an even bigger army that blows all the server records out of the water. You only need a handful of type-A personalities with enormous egos who happen to be running alliances or decide to run one. Some of these people are very good at manipulating other players for their own gain under a guise of "teamwork". Either that or one guy with daddy's credit card and no spending limit.

Gold spending spoiled the cauldron because enough gold could buy you a new army. I'm grateful that feedback was listened to on that aspect, I might add. But I did see the fallout as players quit in utter disappointment at the enormous armies opposing them that they simply could not hope to defeat. And that's my fear with troop merging. Gold is necessary; it runs the place; but we generally like to believe that it's possible to compete without being a millionaire, and hopefully also without exploiting our "friends".

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    hopefully also without exploiting our "friends".
    I'll be your res slave on any server El <3 :b

Satansrogue and Placebo, you two might well agree to disagree, but you're both definitely still on the same side anyway in another aspect: even if the merge cost in res is the same as using GB/GS, remember that there are still a huge number of attackers who already use the GB/GS - that is, they currently think it's worthwhile to spend that extra res to do things the expensive way. That's fairly well proof that some players will also consider the high merging cost to be worthwhile, even if it's done with res.

It becomes even more worthwhile if they can raid ally mates in order to produce an even bigger army that blows all the server records out of the water. You only need a handful of type-A personalities with enormous egos who happen to be running alliances or decide to run one. Some of these people are very good at manipulating other players for their own gain under a guise of "teamwork". Either that or one guy with daddy's credit card and no spending limit.

Gold spending spoiled the cauldron because enough gold could buy you a new army. I'm grateful that feedback was listened to on that aspect, I might add. But I did see the fallout as players quit in utter disappointment at the enormous armies opposing them that they simply could not hope to defeat. And that's my fear with troop merging. Gold is necessary; it runs the place; but we generally like to believe that it's possible to compete without being a millionaire, and hopefully also without exploiting our "friends".
    I completely agree, and I think this decision was rushed and based on the wrong reasons. I will be writing a longer response in the "official" thread once I have made dinner (yes, I eat late). Among others, the server they took feedback from doesn't have a traditional endgame, yet this change will have an enormous​ impact on the entire endgame.

The Quiet One MemberMember blibble's Avatar

If they are actual players, we might well have a situation where new players are treated as nothing useful except for being those simmer accounts.
    This I have seen on kingdoms, from my experience on there unless you are a chosen leader you are a drone and nothing more. One reason I will not play that version again.

As to these changes, the merging of off troops changes the balance of the game, tuets can spam mace in every villa ( how does the smithy upgrade work will all troops go with lowest smithy or the one in the hammer villa) and merge for the big attack. again we will see huge wwk capable of killing a ww on their own. Teamwork or drones maybe needed to build it but the attacker will claim the glory of the kill, and co-ordinated attacks no longer needed. Even less to keep people interested in endgame.
    The forwarding of def troops could be a positive move but I think there would need to be limits in some way to prevent this.
    1-2 designated "troop forwarder" coordinator accounts who hold the Haste artefacts which can basically never be stolen because they have so much def on hand (this system was already implemented by several alliances on UK19 Scattered Empire). No more need for "def calls" which fostered community, because one player can manage it alone.
    Anyway that is my thoughts on this so far, on the spur of the moment.

I believe all the L0 clubs will gain the smithy level of the village they move into.

As for troop forwarding they could solve the "no more engaged deffers" problem by limiting troop forwarding so that it can only be done by the troop owner. To me it'd be very useful (for all) to move reinforcements direct from one player to another, so long as it can't all be run by the one "def hub" player.

Why can you guys not just leave travian alone? Stop making stupid changes! Its your changes what have made travian less relevant than it was 5+ years ago. Im a heavy gold user, but the thought of merging an offensive account's troops into one ruins the whole game as they would be able to zero a WW on their own, and prolong servers with an endgame so much that people will get fed up with the game. If this change happens you will lose a hell of alot of players. Some who have continued to line your pockets for 8 years+ like myself. Leave all servers alone and have all this nonsense merging troops malarky on its on seperate server for the casual players

1. The main group of defenders now only need log in for five minutes per day, queueing troops and sending all troops plus wheat to a designated "troop forwarder" account
    2. 1-2 designated "troop forwarder" coordinator accounts who hold the Haste artefacts which can basically never be stolen because they have so much def on hand (this system was already implemented by several alliances on UK19 Scattered Empire). No more need for "def calls" which fostered community, because one player can manage it alone.
    I am playing Scattered Empire x2 and I can reliably inform you that you can only merge your OWN troops.
    I haven't tried forwarding other player's troops but you wouldn't be able to send them as one big army.
    Last edited by Miss Philaneous; 25 Apr 2016 at 06:02 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast