Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Independence Day, it is.

Default Independence Day, it is.

June 23rd, the UK's independence day.

Are you happy with this?

Did you support EU membership?

Is the EU a malignant power the UK is well rid of?

Will the UK be punished by the EU?

Will there be war?

Will the UK thrive and prosper outside the EU?

Over to you -

Honoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian Member Trouble's Avatar

YES!
    NO!
    YES!
    Mate, president of US is acting like a total juvenile, so I expect we are going to have to deal with some ignorant noobs.
    YES!
    No-cringe signature.

I'm proud to say I voted for me and my family to remain in the EU. And yes, I would have voted to join the EU had that have been the vote.

The President is acting like how any head of one of the largest superpowers in the world should behave. To fully understand that, look at the global political arena.

Markets are in free fall with nothing but a cocktail umbrella called Boris for a parachute, they have already lost billions, markets and currencies are at '08 recession levels and racism is at an all-time high. I'd just like to thank the majority of the older generations for deciding my future for me. You wonder why richer people try so hard to protect their fortunes? You wonder why they don't like paying more tax? It's because lesser educated individuals go and do something stupid like vote to leave the EU and crash markets around the globe.

I want to say I have faith in Britain and it's ability to recover. I want to say I have faith in British people and our ability to overcome just about anything. I want to say this is a blip on the radar, but when there are lying deceitful politicans like Farage, Boris and Gove who make promises and then backtrack just hours after the election, when so many people have failed to grasp the reality and all the damages this vote will have, I can't help but think faith is merely a thing of the past. I most certainly don't have faith in our education system anymore.

Immigration, sovereignty and economy myth buster. We receive more immigration from outside the EU. If Government wanted to limit or reduce immigration then they have had nothing stopping them and the notion that immigration isn't controlled is absurd - all those muslims you see?
    ? No? Didn't think so. We also don't have 'open borders' since we're not part of the Schengen agreement and never will be, but we still enjoy access to the common market, we enjoy workers rights such as those preventing unscrupulous empoyers making us work over 48 hours a week, stronger paternity and maternity rights and the British High Court has power to override the EU in matters of national security. As for some of the other laws like tobacco growing laws, we don't grow tobacco. Some of those laws just aren't relevent. Our investment in to the EU was actually only 12bn a year (30m a day) once you'd accounted for the Common Agricultural Policy (farmers rebate) and research grants for the NHS and Universities. The 30m daily investment helped maintain the 80bn a year trade with Europe we used to have, 3.5m jobs associated with the EU that we used to have (which based on the average salary gave 3.1bn worth of income tax contributions alone) of which those people also paid NI and bought goods and services in the UK (VAT).

And if any of my comments regarding low levels of education offends anyone I apologize, These are my thoughts an opinions on the subject,
    Last edited by mhudson; 27 Jun 2016 at 05:28 PM.

I was disappointed with the result. While I think we could thrive outside of the EU, IMO now was not the time to consider leaving.

I think the vote was badly planned (deliberately?) to get people to vote with their heart rather than their head. We are now having to consider the prospect of going it alone with no change of subsidy or bailout (unless we decide to get into bed with japan and china). We have lost credibility on the world stage for throwing our teddys out of the pram rather than entering into further negotiation and discussions on the EU Treatys and helping to shape the future of the EU.

I make no secret of the fact that I voted remain, however I did so because I wanted the facts on my pension, job, spending cuts, future etc. The rhetoric spouted by both sides did nothing to answer my questions.

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

Devastated. Particularly disgusted by stupid political comments such as, "We have a problem with immigration so we need to leave" but more disappointed that so many people took those two points as being related AT ALL or meaning anything whatsoever, and used it as a reason to vote Brexit. It's like standing up and saying that "the UK is not enjoying good weather so we need to leave the EU". Utterly meaningless.

Scorecard
    Number of people I know of today who will be applying for another citizenship/passport: 3
    Number of people I personally know whose residence status will become a problem: 1
    Number of people I personally know whose own jobs have suddenly been thrown into jeopardy: 2
    Number of people expecting their entire company to be reshuffled with massive layoffs: 2
    Number of people whose property investments turned into albatrosses: 3
    Number of people whose pensions are now worth nothing: 1

Spammer-in-chief Prolific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul MemberProlific Gaul Member Mouse-Keyboard's Avatar

As for the questions, basically the opposite of what Trouble said.
    Join WvV Round 17:  Students versus Teachers!
    Read the colour of the words (not the words). Blue Red Orange Green Black Red Red Gray Purple Blue
    Count! - Steal a hill! - Do stuff! - Eat!

Quote Originally Posted by silly sally View Post
    We've just turned back the clock and entered the Yoda zone... it just evolves.

LOL, I thought I'd stayed on topic.

The accusation was that the 17.5million people who voted leave were all uneducated morons,
    *As commented in national newspapers*

How did you vote Sally?
    Last edited by mhudson; 26 Jun 2016 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Yoda View Post
    LOL, I thought I'd stayed on topic.

The accusation was that the 17.5million people who voted leave were all uneducated morons, *As commented in national newspapers*

How did you vote Sally?
    I put a cross in a box with a pencil.
    Last edited by mhudson; 26 Jun 2016 at 11:17 PM.

Good reply

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    Daily Mail readers.
    In my defence its the only news site that the work firewall doesn't mess about with

Dont worry if you ticked the wrong box. MI5 were round the corner with their rubbers to make sure your vote was correct
    News story

I took a pen with me
    Last edited by mhudson; 26 Jun 2016 at 06:39 PM.

In My Opinion There is a really good case for Brexit,

We should all
    respect other people's opinions and intelligence and listen to their point of view. You never know, you could even be persuaded to their case.

I'm prepared to talk about the issue and explain why I believe so strongly that brexit is the right path to take.

As the Queen asked - give me three good reasons why we should remain part of the EU??

Only fair for me to start. I'll give three reasons why I think we need to leave -

1/ Legitimacy / Democracy.
    The Lisbon treaty was originally named the EU Constitution. In referendums it was rejected by France, The Netherlands and Ireland. The EU decided to call it the EU Constitutional Treaty. As a treaty rather than a political constitution it didn't need democratic consent, because treaties are signed between governments. Democracy was sidesteped and a superstate was born in direct defiance of the wishes of at least three member state's electorates.

I give this as an example of democratic deficit and lack of legitimate mandate, but I could name many more - Countries have been told to vote again when they voted the wrong way, the recent treatment of Greece, Italy's elected leader being replaced, Cyprus's banks being raided and money taken, for instance.

2/ Immigration.
    I was an immigrant once, I moved to New Zealand. I was measured, weighed, had blood tests and x-rays to prove I was in good health. I had to prove I could speak and write English. I had to prove I had skills that were in short supply and that I had the qualifications to match. I had to be able to earn over a certain amount so as I would be a net contributor. I had to have enough money in the bank to cover my entire stay in the country plus the flight home and I was not allowed to claim any form of benefits. I had no problem with this, it made perfect sense to me.

The UK, as part of the EU, can't control immigration in this way. Low skilled people arrive en-masse and undercut our own low skilled workers and drive wages down. The UK simply hasn't been able to increase housing and services at a rate high enough to maintain provision per head of population, and that means living standards going down for almost everyone, not just for those directly competing for jobs.
    This is basic supply / demand / capacity economics and it has a very negative effect on a lot of people's lives. I know some have benefited, but they generally benefited not through increased productivity (there hasn't been any), they've benefited through taking more for themselves and doing down those that they could.

3/ Prospects.
    The EU's prospects don't look good on its current course. A small number of countries, centred around Germany, are loving it. Their currency is artificially low due to it being tied to southern and eastern Europe, so their exports are booming and their trade surplus is through the roof. In short, they're raking it in.
    Southern Europe is in dire straits. They desperately need to devalue their currency to boost export earnings and encourage inward investment, and they desperately need quantitative easing to pay some of their debts.
    They are stuck with the same currency as northern Europe though, so are having to devalue their economies instead of their currency, and sell their assets too. Result is massive unemployment with no prospects of improvement for a long time.
    At some point Germany et al are going to look at the economic wasteland they have created and make a decision - will they spend their money reflating the EU economies (we're beyond commercial loan stage, they are bankrupt) or keep their money and cut them off. I don't see the German electorate going for giving money away, especially now we aren't going to help shoulder the burden.

Alternatively the UK can look to the rest of the world. Trade tariffs with the EU will suit us as we have a trade deficit with the EU. Their imports becoming more expensive will encourage domestic production and move the deficit towards balance.
    The rest of the world at the same import / export tariff as the EU means we would move towards being a world trader again instead of nearly half our trade centring on the EU. Trade agreements will come thick and fast, especially with Commonwealth countries and the USA. Emerging markets are where it's at, they are where the potential for growth is. The EU market is old and saturated and the potential low. Linking our economy more with emerging markets gives the potential for much greater growth than being linked to the EU could ever give.

I'm not anti-Europe, I'm anti-EU. As Farage said - I want to be a good neighbour living on the same street.
    As I say - we don't want to knock through the dividing walls, swap children and have a committee telling us how to stock our fridge.

Anyway, over to you - three good reasons....
    Last edited by mhudson; 26 Jun 2016 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Remove confrontation

Community Manager UK/US mhudson's Avatar

Ladies and Gents

Official we are not allowed to discuss political matters however this debate can remain providing we can keep the discussion on track, avoid insult and respect each others views, which ever way that you voted.

By all means explore both sides of the argument but any discussion of hate or racisim (even if its something discussed in the press), confrontation or insults will be removed to remain within TGHQ's policys.

If anyone is unhappy with the edits already carried out or the tone of someones post they should PM me and we can discuss the best course of action.
    CM mhudson
    Community Manager
    Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

Dont worry if you ticked the wrong box. MI5 were round the corner with their rubbers to make sure your vote was correct
    News story

I took a pen with me
    More scaremongering.

And a cross was required not a tick.
    Last edited by mhudson; 26 Jun 2016 at 11:12 PM.

More scaremongering.

And a cross was required not a tick.
    Indeed I did make me laugh tho that major tabloids were running that news story.

Also a cross, tick or indeed an erect phallic shape (News Story) is acceptable providing the intent of the vote is clear and the item is clearly within the borders of the relevant box

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Yoda View Post
    In My Opinion There is a really good case for Brexit,

We should all
    respect other people's opinions and intelligence and listen to their point of view. You never know, you could even be persuaded to their case.

I'm prepared to talk about the issue and explain why I believe so strongly that brexit is the right path to take.

As the Queen asked - give me three good reasons why we should remain part of the EU??

Only fair for me to start. I'll give three reasons why I think we need to leave -

Anyway, over to you - three good reasons....
    I am a bit of a live and let live person. As a nation we have voted out, we are a strong nation, passionate and well equipped for the future, what ever that may be, we just need to be informed correctly.

The world is a big and colourful place with all kinds of opportunities available so we just need to shut up and get on with it.

That's my opinion.

The experts largely supported remain, like 90% of economists. I think it was crazy to vote leave in spite of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    You just jump around like a tart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elros View Post
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

Honoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian Member Trouble's Avatar

No martin james, it was not.

Those economists have very clear reasons for wanting to stay. I.e there *edit* jobs, that they want to keep.

Your telling me to listen to the IMF. Which is funny, cos they have made a mess of a lot of stuff in the past.

But oh no, those bean counters are still worth our respect.? Right?! maybe for u.

Lets look a bit closer, are they really experts or just greedy bean counters (words for economists cos their math is so simple they might aswell be counting beans, tis an dis from guy who study engineer math.)

OK!
    SO: The reasons there models show this, is because they are biased.
    And I will tell you how they are biased also.

Their models predict that we will see a dip in free market trade, essentially if we voted to leave they assumed we would trade LESS.

Which is hilarious, because of our Internationale TRADE RESTRICTIONS.
    And legislative restrictions also.
    Basically where Brussels is biased towards building a Europe, and we miss out on a lot of trade, because we traded as the "EU"
    rather than as "Britian". (which of course means we are under EU regulation for restriction of international trade in favour of trade within the EU)

The funny fact is they are completly wrong, and honestly, they need to get the sack and have their jobs investigated for the disgusting amount of malpractice and corruption present in their organisations.

But lets simple this again and stop ranting!
    Economic models predict dip in economic growth due to less free trade.

Hilarious, since after some investigation, I voted to leave, so that we can INCREASE our trade with the developing world.

Now it would be wrong for me to ask you to trust blindly in the words of a crazy man on a forum.

So you can go and investigate their predictions for your self, and you will come to the same conclusion, no doubt.

Lets just round this out, with a nice new fact.

The head of the IMF, while not only useless and doing a terrible job. Is also being sued for emezelment.
    Which is litteraly the definition of corruption.

Hilarious to see so many remainaic voters talking a lot of *rubbish* recently, its winding me up.

And its all worthless nonsense. They are they losers, they should be investigating why they lost and educating them selves.
    But no!

and thats strange thing so say since Leave has the worst types of individual.

Therefore on balance they are much worse to the hard headed leave voters who I regular experience good factual argument with.
    Since we are not remainiacs fuelled by nothing but our sheepish engagement with establishment officials and blindly following along like they are some sort of human rights group.

haha, I'm sure tis not most of u and I wont like be spesific. My face book is for some reason filled with my generation. Who are displaying there ignorance for all to see on a daily basis. So many errors it makes me ashamed to call them my fellow Britannia.

Most annoying thing:
    Remainiac attitude towards leave: You know nothing! You are ignorant We are right!
    HAHAHAHAHA
    See this is so wrong, so so so wrong. but it is shared by so many.
    My attitude to remain is this: You did not do your research, else you would have voted Leave.
    Last edited by mhudson; 29 Jun 2016 at 05:19 PM.
    No-cringe signature.

I'm not even going to waste my time with you again, I know theres no point in trying to discuss anything with you. I'll merely point out that I have a degree in Politics and International Relations, and the research suggested that the majority of those with degrees in any subject voted remain, to accuse any of us of not being well researched shows why there is no point in talking to you, your ego is too ridiculous to listen to any other point of view.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    You just jump around like a tart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elros View Post
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

Teuton MemberTeuton Member Roobs's Avatar

As someone who works hand in hand with economists, that post is 99% drivel. The other 1% is madness.
    :3

Quote Originally Posted by Roobs View Post
    As someone who works hand in hand with economists, that post is 99% drivel. The other 1% is madness.
    Which post is drivel and which one sheer madness?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast